Should James Morgan Play?

Maxman

The offensive line is playing marginally better, ranked 19th in run blocking, 20 something in pass protection; it's safe enough to take Morgan out of the bubble wrap.

Morgan should be allowed to play but he won't be. When he was drafted it was announced that 2020 would be his redshirt year. Injuries have not changed that philosophy so obviously he is not showing much in his very limited practice reps.

During training camp Gase raved about how Mike White had made amazing progress  after one full year in the offensive system. Yes that progress was not so amazing  that they would not put him there  for a half and get a look at the kid.

• Upvote 1

If you don’t play him now, when will you play him?   Assuming a QB is drafted at 1 or 2 next year, that QB will be playing and taking the bulk of the reps.  Morgan won’t even be the back up next year, you’re going to need another vet QB to be the actual back up for the rookie.  Morgan will again be the 3rd QB next year and not getting many reps.   This was just a puzzling pick by JD IMO.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

The offensive line is playing marginally better, ranked 19th in run blocking, 20 something in pass protection; it's safe enough to take Morgan out of the bubble wrap.

Morgan should be allowed to play but he won't be. When he was drafted it was announced that 2020 would be his redshirt year. Injuries have not changed that philosophy so obviously he is not showing much in his very limited practice reps.

During training camp Gase raved about how Mike White had made amazing progress  after one full year in the offensive system. Yes that progress was not so amazing  that they would not put him there  for a half and get a look at the kid.

When he was drafted, there was full expectations of mini camps, summer camps and exhibition games. Of course, all that never happened.

I do realize that other rookie QB's have played. What we don't know is the percentage of snaps that Morgan has received in scrimmages and practice. He can't be thrown out there raw.

• Upvote 2

No.  All indications are he sucks completely and absolutely.  The phrase, "He's not ready to play" had been used by the organization.  Why demoralize the rest of the team any further than they already are by putting in a Hackenberg and essentially stating "Thanks guys, but we've given up on all of you!  see you next year!"

9 hours ago, GreekJet said:

No

Playing him in this mess of a year/team will do him more harm than good. Let him start fresh next year with a new coaching staff/full offseason.

Like I mention in the Vid, there's no one on the Jets staff dedicated to developing young QB's.  It sounds deranged and stupid, but it's true. 

I still can't believe this is how our staff is built. Conversely in Tampa Arians has two QB coaches and a legit OC with an assstant for the B team. 

Imagine that. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

When he was drafted, there was full expectations of mini camps, summer camps and exhibition games. Of course, all that never happened.

I do realize that other rookie QB's have played. What we don't know is the percentage of snaps that Morgan has received in scrimmages and practice. He can't be thrown out there raw.

Absolutely. And you make a good point about the lack of training camp etc.

Like I mention in the vid there are very specific reasons he is not and should not be thrown in there right now. He's a long term project with no one working on it.  He gets thrown in and flounders and all we will hear is Hackenberg 2.0  What good can come of this? 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Ya gotta watch the vid before you can answer. Those are the rules. ;) 

Great video!!! Yes, I should have watched prior to comment.  I do understand the thought process of not throwing Morgan to the wolves, though I still find it frustrating starting a 35 year old QB on a winless team. 

BTW, I agree Douglas had a very promising draft and the best since 2007!

• Upvote 1