Should James Morgan Play?

Maxman

10 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

When he was drafted, there was full expectations of mini camps, summer camps and exhibition games. Of course, all that never happened.

I do realize that other rookie QB's have played. What we don't know is the percentage of snaps that Morgan has received in scrimmages and practice. He can't be thrown out there raw.

He was drafted during covid, they knew there'd be a good possibility that the season would not be conventional.

I strongly prefer him not to.  Having a full year to learn is very beneficial. I think he’s an older rookie but the chief’s didn’t rush mahomie 

darnold needs to prove he’s healthy and can be worth a draft pick. At this point he’s not. They need to build his value 

Flacco is great at losing pretty and should Play if darnold can’t 

That kid hasn’t taken a rep all season. Put him in now and he’s going to end up in the psych ward after the inevitable disaster that would result from not being prepared on top of blowback from unreasonable public backlash given his draft slot. 

so in other words, he will probably get a chance to start in weeks 16-18. 

9 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Great video!!! Yes, I should have watched prior to comment.  I do understand the thought process of not throwing Morgan to the wolves, though I still find it frustrating starting a 35 year old QB on a winless team. 

BTW, I agree Douglas had a very promising draft and the best since 2007!

haha.  Cool man. 

Yeah, to be clear I HATED the Morgan pick and argued with @Jetsfan80 about a few times. I still don't like it, but that shouldn't taint my opinion of what is the right thing to do with him as a player. 

That said, I would also prefer to watch him than Flacco. I think if there was a preseason we would have gotten to see him some. That may have helped a bit. 

Good stuff dude. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

He should get to start week 17.

Id sign up for that. Just send him out for the coin toss with no warning or fanfare. lol 

Wait... who the hell is that?   BB would know exactly who it was. Its the guy he was about to take in the 4th. :) 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

haha.  Cool man. 

Yeah, to be clear I HATED the Morgan pick and argued with @Jetsfan80 about a few times. I still don't like it, but that shouldn't taint my opinion of what is the right thing to do with him as a player. 

That said, I would also prefer to watch him than Flacco. I think if there was a preseason we would have gotten to see him some. That may have helped a bit. 

Good stuff dude. 

No. If you hate the pick you have to stick with that.

• Openly root for that player to fail
  • Do not celebrate if he scores a TD or has success on the field
  • Make it your life's work to undermine anything good that player does, especially if it is charity related

James Morgan handed out Turkeys and we are celebrating this? Anyone can feed the homeless, he should have been playing Bryce Petty in Madden to learn the play book.

:)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

• Make it your life's work to undermine anything good that player does, especially if it is charity related

James Morgan handed out Turkeys and we are celebrating this? Anyone can feed the homeless, he should have been playing Bryce Petty in Madden to learn the play book.

Was he throwing them out of helicopters?

• Sympathy 1

Joe Burrow. Tua Tagovailoa. Justin Herbert. Jake Luton (6th rounder). 

Have all been thrown into the fire as Rookie Quarterbacks despite an off-season that's been plagued due to a pandemic (Morgan isn't the "only one"). 

And if not for QBs like Rodgers/Allen/Rivers all performing very well I'm pretty sure that the likes of Jordan Love/Jake Fromm/Jacob Eason would all all be getting an opportunity under center in order to showcase their untapped potential for Green Bay/Buffalo/Indianapolis (if @ 0-10) right now too. 

I'm sorry but we're currently 0-10 after Sam has stunk up the joint and Flacco's just a 35 year old with zero future as a Jet; so as a 4th round pick especially @ 0-10 it should be James Morgan who's getting reps under Center in order to showcase his talents, natural abilities and/or his untapped potential. 

If JD is scared that his confidence would become destroyed and ruined due to a disaster season well then he should've never been drafted to begin with if he's that emotionally fragile and that mentally weak. 

If anyone should be shut down and protected for future off-season trade value and to protect his spirits it's Sam Darnold; because James Morgan is the definition of a QB who you feed to the wolves on an 0-10 disaster team and let him sink or swim (as opposed to doing it to Sam). 

James Morgan not getting a chance reminds me of Hack not being able to make it off the practice field (and it showed once getting a chance) and no amount of developing time would've helped that kid; he STUNK. 

On 11/26/2020 at 11:06 AM, Fantasy Island said:

Good points, but we didn't have the luxury of developing projects.  We needed immediate help.  This lack of recognition of our team's assets and liabilities is what makes me doubt JD.  Wants vs needs. 

Playing Flacco now doesn't help anyone.

Playing Flacco now is a Gase decision, not a GM decision.  The GM does not decide who starts and sits.  Blame the GM for providing crappy weapons or crappy backups, but starting lineup  and game flow substitutions is 100% on the HC and his coaching staff. Or at least it is supposed to be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Hopefully the last 3 games we see him in mop up duty.  I get not throwing him out there.  But we didn't even see him in third string preseason duty.  If Sam really fails then I don't see why they wouldn't throw Morgan out there.

ask Gase.

He would barely play Perine and we expect him to play Morgan?  Not Gase's style.  Washed up veterans > prospects..  all the time.  Bowles, Rex and Herm all did the same thing.  Not playing prospects has been a disease on this team for a very long time.  Gase is just continuing the pattern with a flair.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

ask Gase.

He would barely play Perine and we expect him to play Morgan?  Not Gase's style.  Washed up veterans > prospects..  all the time.  Bowles, Rex and Herm all did the same thing.  Not playing prospects has been a disease on this team for a very long time.  Gase is just continuing the pattern with a flair.

Well... might be better we didn't play him.  A new coach may have a chance to utilize him better.  Before he sees the field with this bunch of bozos..

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

I;m sorry. You're right.  I don't know how I allowed such a lapse 

James Morgan can rot in hell!  

Yes.

I think the problem is you need to have a COVID QB in place in case of an outbreak, so he became the 4th QB instead of the 3rd, where he would get practice time and could take a few snaps late in games.

As much as I think it would be good for him to get his feet wet, its not happening unless he gets real practice time in

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Joe Burrow. Tua Tagovailoa. Justin Herbert. Jake Luton (6th rounder). 

Have all been thrown into the fire as Rookie Quarterbacks despite an off-season that's been plagued due to a pandemic (Morgan isn't the "only one"). 

And if not for QBs like Rodgers/Allen/Rivers all performing very well I'm pretty sure that the likes of Jordan Love/Jake Fromm/Jacob Eason would all all be getting an opportunity under center in order to showcase their untapped potential for Green Bay/Buffalo/Indianapolis (if @ 0-10) right now too. 

I'm sorry but we're currently 0-10 after Sam has stunk up the joint and Flacco's just a 35 year old with zero future as a Jet; so as a 4th round pick especially @ 0-10 it should be James Morgan who's getting reps under Center in order to showcase his talents, natural abilities and/or his untapped potential. 

If JD is scared that his confidence would become destroyed and ruined due to a disaster season well then he should've never been drafted to begin with if he's that emotionally fragile and that mentally weak. 

If anyone should be shut down and protected for future off-season trade value and to protect his spirits it's Sam Darnold; because James Morgan is the definition of a QB who you feed to the wolves on an 0-10 disaster team and let him sink or swim (as opposed to doing it to Sam). 

James Morgan not getting a chance reminds me of Hack not being able to make it off the practice field (and it showed once getting a chance) and no amount of developing time would've helped that kid; he STUNK. 

It's a little different than Hack because HAck was a GM's attempt at a Franchise QB and taken in the 2nd rd.  I know you know this, but its worth mentioning. 

The real point is that JD's draft class is proving to have a boat load of potential. If James Morgan doesn't get on the field so be it.  It's actually a good thing that this is what we're complaining about.  Usually its our first and 2nd rd picks that disappoint. 

We're in exceptionally good hands.

Oh.. and Lutton just got benched.  Let's try and keep an eye on his career trajectory.  That must might be all she wrote for him after last week's game. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

ask Gase.

Right. And why would he?  He want to win out like he did last year. He's not going to play Morgan while trying to do that. 

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Playing Flacco now is a Gase decision, not a GM decision.  The GM does not decide who starts and sits.  Blame the GM for providing crappy weapons or crappy backups, but starting lineup  and game flow substitutions is 100% on the HC and his coaching staff. Or at least it is supposed to be.

+1000

I cant believe I actually read a week or two ago that if JD isnt telling Gase who to start he should be fired!  I couldn't believe anyone who's been posting for 20 years actually believes that any GM should be telling any HC who to play and how much playing time they should get.  As you said, thats totally the HC's call.  And if a GM is forcing players into the HC lineup, the HC should quit on the spot.

• Upvote 1

JD picked him in the 4th round how long does it take to develop a player?   I think give him a shot game 16-17 see how he handles it.   This team lacks so much depth to just waste picks makes no sense, JD had to believe this kid would be a value to this team.   I never liked the Flacco call and still don't.   50 years being a fan I have seen a lot and as this team fails to succeed, either the management believes in what they are doing or they don't.   JD's scouting staff picked these players so either they believe they got good ones or they totally messed the draft up!  0-10 there is nothing to lose play the rookies!  What is there to protect them from?  It can not make this team any worse than it is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 8:36 AM, sec101row23 said:

If you don’t play him now, when will you play him?   Assuming a QB is drafted at 1 or 2 next year, that QB will be playing and taking the bulk of the reps.  Morgan won’t even be the back up next year, you’re going to need another vet QB to be the actual back up for the rookie.  Morgan will again be the 3rd QB next year and not getting many reps.   This was just a puzzling pick by JD IMO.  

I think he thought the team could be bad but he didn’t envision 0-16 bad. Probably like 4-12 and then maybe you want a prospect in the bullpen if you are stuck in no mans land

On 11/26/2020 at 7:59 PM, HessStation said:

I’m torn....what if by shooting star of a chance he’s amazing??? Imagine having those picks on a non qb? Anyway....sigh.. whatever man

That's the rub right?  If he's great in a short sample size it means we lose out of the potential "sure thing" by winning. And then we all believe in this guy and he $hits the bed essentially wasting another season.  

But.... what if he IS the golden child??   So many thoughts... I'm not feeling well