Sign in to follow this  
NorthCoastJetsFan

Another Belichick coaching tree alumni

I have a coworker who is a lifelong Lions fan. We commiserate a lot, but he has it worse, no doubt.  We have a bet to buy each other a four /six pack of VT microbrew depending on who's head coach gets fired first. It's a celebratory wager - we're hoping to buy the beer for the other guy first.

How they fired Caldwell I'll never understand - and he's a coach who should get another shot. A good guy and a decent coach from all I read and heard. He had them on the upswing - which had never happened before - but apparently that wasn't tolerated. Another dynastic ownership disaster.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Calvin Johnson is up for the Hall of Fame this year. Heard one podcast suggest that he might not necessarily be a first ballot Hall of Famer because he didn't do it long enough (although the hosts said that in their opinion he's a no-brainer first ballot inductee). Would be so the Lions if he's made to wait an extra year to get into the Hall of Fame.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Calvin Johnson is up for the Hall of Fame this year. Heard one podcast suggest that he might not necessarily be a first ballot Hall of Famer because he didn't do it long enough (although the hosts said that in their opinion he's a no-brainer first ballot inductee). Would be so the Lions if he's made to wait an extra year to get into the Hall of Fame.

He was an incredible player 

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I have a coworker who is a lifelong Lions fan. We commiserate a lot, but he has it worse, no doubt.  We have a bet to buy each other a four /six pack of VT microbrew depending on who's head coach gets fired first. It's a celebratory wager - we're hoping to buy the beer for the other guy first.

How they fired Caldwell I'll never understand - and he's a coach who should get another shot. A good guy and a decent coach from all I read and heard. He had them on the upswing - which had never happened before - but apparently that wasn't tolerated. Another dynastic ownership disaster.

Caldwell should be a legit fallback option for us if we can't get any of our primary HC targets.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Lith said:

Went to a Jets-Lions game at Ford Field in 2010.  Sanchez 2nd season.  We were losing all game.  Their kicker got hurt and they allowed Ndamakong Suh try an extra point.  He missed it.  We were down 10 with 3 minutes left.  Lion fans all around us telling me and my son not to worry.  Lions will blow it.  They always do.  Sure enough, Sanchez leads us on two scoring drives in the last 3 minutes to tie it and force OT.  Guy sitting next to us gets up to leave at teh end of regulation.  I ask him why he was leaving and he says, no way we are winning this game. Its over and I am not sticking around to see how we lose.

I just remember thinking that they are us.  Lions fans and jets fans. We are the same.  Love our team.  Stick with them through all the rough years.  But conditioned to expect the L.

I don't have all that much pity in my heart. My rabid Jets fan friend, Vinnie, sat with his head his hands in a bathroom stall in Penn Station, December 21st, 1997, questioning his very existence when Barry Sanders broke 2,000 yards rushing vs the Jets. Vinnie's train was delayed for hours, and he was watching the game in a Penn Station bar.  He wound up half-drunk.  How did the story end, jetophile? The Jets blew it and lost and got knocked out of PO contention, the good ole 1, 2 punch, that's how. Don't ever ask me to read you any bedtime stories. It won't turn out well. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jetophile said:

I don't have all that much pity in my heart. My rabid Jets fan friend, Vinnie, sat with his head his hands in a bathroom stall in Penn Station, December 21st, 1997, questioning his very existence when Barry Sanders broke 2,000 yards rushing vs the Jets. Vinnie's train was delayed for hours, and he was watching the game in a Penn Station bar.  He wound up half-drunk.  How did the story end, jetophile? The Jets blew it and lost and got knocked out of PO contention, the good ole 1, 2 punch, that's how. Don't ever ask me to read you any bedtime stories. It won't turn out well. 

Your mind is very mysterious 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Caldwell should be a legit fallback option for us if we can't get any of our primary HC targets.

If we miss out on all the sexy, exciting candidates, Caldwell would be a decent, safe “boring” hire.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, peebag said:

Your mind is very mysterious 

Post-Coma Meningitis Syndrome With Multiple Neurological Sequelae, to be precise. I'm morbidly fascinating. ; )

On 11/26/2020 at 10:00 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

He's the 3rd best receiver I've seen in my lifetime behind Jerry Rice and Randy Moss.  Completely dominant player.  It would be a travesty not to make him a first ballot HOFer.  

Don't lose sleep over it...he's a shoo-in.

• Upvote 1