Why I Like what Douglas is doing

CanadaSteve

13 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yessir and Bill Parcells may have dropped the ball with Peyton Manning but he started of fast too while taking a 1-15 Rich Kotite 1996 disastrous team into an immediate 9-7 team the following season (week 17 Barry Sanders/Detroit Lions hurt as a kid just 12 years old) but then the Tuna got us his hands back on  Curtis Martin and then BANG a 1998 AFC Championship Game Appearance under Broadway Vinny vs Elway/Davis/Broncos only 2 years later; and Parcells would've led us to a SB 1999 too if not for Vinny tearing his ACL week 1 off a fluke fumbled handoff. 

With 4 first round picks and 2 premium second round picks over the next two drafts JD can do what Parcells did for us and immediately erase and move past this (Adam Gase) potential 0-16 trainwreck into an instant brighter future. 

LT: Mekhi Becton. 1st round pick. 

WR: Denzel Mims. 2nd round. 

Now imagine if JD gets us another 6 Becton/Mims A+ Blue Chip Prospects over the next two drafts due to 4 first rounders & 2 second rounders with our next 6 picks? 

And then just imagine if he's able to move Sam for another 2nd round pick or even another two 3rd rounders to a QB desperate team in order to give us even more draft capital needed in order to truly build around Trevor Lawrence? 

We'll be back in the playoffs come 2022. 

JD is about to absolutely splurge around these young gun draft picks throughout Free Agency over the next two years too and we'll become fully loaded with talent before you know it. 

I get the whole Peyton Manning thing with Parcells, he could have also had Orlando Pace but traded back for James Farrior.  Overall I love your outlook for Joe Douglas and I agree with you here.  

One thing I would say though is if for some reason we do not get the Trevor Prize.  I would keep Darnold and draft the tackle out of Oregon or WR from LSU and build around Darnold.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

is it ever ok to evaluate the jets based on wins and losses asking for a friend

Winning seasons of about .500 football and losing seasons of below .500 football.

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean youre not buying the "all the good Tanny picks were Manginis" and all the bad ones where Tanny or Rex picks theory?  Either he needed help or was so lame that he was tied into whoever made picks for him?

Theres no proof anywhere than Mangini made those picks or that Tanny would let a one year, sort of DC make those picks.  

The only argument I have heard that made any sense was that Mangini was very good at structuring the interview portion to get the most out of it.  

• Upvote 1

I like the concept of Joe Douglas, but at this point there is no sign that he has any plan to build a team that is playoff competitive any time soon.  If the Jets do not crash into this the first or second pick, next season with Darnold and a cast off veteran QB would likely be another mess. 

Wouldn't it be hard for Douglas to fire Gase since Gase basically hired him. Of course we saw the same thing happened when Gase got rid of Macc. But despite individual good moves by Douglas (you can point to any of the Jets GM incl Macc and Idzik and there were good signings, draft picks) but none of them had this kind of terrible record right now 0-10. And the team often has not been competitive. Now you know why Douglas wanted a longer term contract before he signed here. 

17 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I created a thread absolutely attacking JD for drafting Morgan during the 4th but I'm looking forward to him as our GM moving forward and as much as I loved Jamal Adams, I may have been against trading him to Dallas for a single 17th overall pick but JD moving him for a Khalil Mack type of haul consisting of two 1st rounders and a 3rd while saving a boat load of future available cap space was an absolute A+ trade for our Jets. 

Now he'll have 4 first round picks and 2 second round picks over the next two draft's and if we're able to land 5 Becton/Mims type prospects/talents to build around Trevor Lawrence throughout just the first two rounds throughout the next two draft's? We'll become true AFC East Contenders for many of years to come. 

And if JD uses the available cap space saved from not paying Jamal Adams on two players such as (just say) Allen Robinson/Joe Thuney? Our offense is going to high fly around Trevor Lawrence. 

I was frustrated about the Morgan pick and threw out a hot take but throughout the grand scheme of things he's been A+ thus far and because of Mekhi Becton, Denzel Mims, 4 first round picks and 2 2nd round picks throughout the next two drafts along with A+ available salary cap space I'm actually enjoying this Tank for Trevor 2020 disaster season because I know JD is going to hit a grand slam with our 4 first round picks while using his A+ salary cap space on game changing players to surround Trevor Lawrence with; our future is better than ever before. 

I just can't wait until JD brings in a head coach to replace Gase who shares the same vision as himself (I believe Harbaugh/JD would become a football match made in heaven as two true football minds working alongside one another with the same goal of building around Lawrence). 

I was with you on the criticism for taking Morgan when other players taken there would have helped the team immediately. But, I've changed my mind. Some (including me) have said you have to keep drafting QBs until you get it right. JD didn't know he might be in position for Lawrence or Fields this year if Darnold crapped out. So, being a good GM he was continuing to look for a QB. Considering BB wanted Morgan too, it was not an overreach to take him in round 4. So, what appeared like a wasted pick was actually a responsible GM trading back and creating a "bonus " pick in order to make sure he had a QB in the pipeline in case Darnold failed.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Agreed...  we can debate it forever but I noted that once. Mangini  left, Tanny sucked.  Terrible with contracts, terrible managing people etc.  He appears to have been influenced HEAVY by the HC at the time as he had NO experience with football talent.  

Yes, it APPEARED like that. But make no mistake you know NOTHING about what actually happened. Tanny selected the biggest BUST of his Jets career while Mangini was the HC.

joe d has been terrible-he brought in 10 terrible free agents which I have previously named

his draft

stud o lineman -a 5 year old should be able to hit on the first round

Mims-might be good-too early to tell

the rest is trash-so if the plan is to get two picks a year while bringing in terrible free agents and letting players go it will take 100 years to field a team

Joe D is going to be in charge of a team that won six teams going to 0-2 wins -that is not good

our rbs are trash

our wrs are trash-spare me the hype-I will go by their actual numbers and performance on the field.-none of our wrs would be considered a one or a two-at best a 3 and on most teams not a three.

our tes are trash

our d line is trash

our lbs are trash

our secondary is trash

• Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Everyone forgets hindsight is 20/20. Anyone can play Monday morning QB. For me, if Douglas gets a good backup QB out of Morgan, then I'm happy with the pick.

Morgan will never play how can you not see that-they wont play him now when they have nothing to lose-let him play and see if he can play-they said he cant essentially by not playing him

the jets are going to draft a qb next year-morgan will sit on the roster at best next year and be gone

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I was with you on the criticism for taking Morgan when other players taken there would have helped the team immediately. But, I've changed my mind. Some (including me) have said you have to keep drafting QBs until you get it right. JD didn't know he might be in position for Lawrence or Fields this year if Darnold crapped out. So, being a good GM he was continuing to look for a QB. Considering BB wanted Morgan too, it was not an overreach to take him in round 4. So, what appeared like a wasted pick was actually a responsible GM trading back and creating a "bonus " pick in order to make sure he had a QB in the pipeline in case Darnold failed.  

I agree with philosophy of drafting QBs until you have one.  James Morgan sounds a lot like a JD kind of player.  Smart, mentally prepared and like most of his other picks he has a reputation for leadership.  I'm not faulting him for this pick.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

Morgan will never play how can you not see that-they wont play him now when they have nothing to lose-let him play and see if he can play-they said he cant essentially by not playing him

the jets are going to draft a qb next year-morgan will sit on the roster at best next year and be gone

You THINK you know what will ultimately happen with Morgan. However, the fact is you just think you know. Just because this is a lost season doesn't mean they need to hold tryouts for 3rd string QB. lol That's silly.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

is it ever ok to evaluate the jets based on wins and losses asking for a friend

If you want to be realistic, sure.  But hey, lets get rid of ANOTHER GM after two seasons.  I am SURE we will find a HOF replacement who would love to come work here.

At this point in time, JD's draft looks solid. Especially when one compares to prior drafts. JD looks to have added two above avg players in mims and becton. Two what appears to be quality players in Mann and Perine. If we get one more starter out of this draft, this may be the best draft in recent memory. This teams drafting history has been an unmitigated disaster. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

joe d has been terrible-he brought in 10 terrible free agents which I have previously named

his draft

stud o lineman -a 5 year old should be able to hit on the first round

Mims-might be good-too early to tell

the rest is trash-so if the plan is to get two picks a year while bringing in terrible free agents and letting players go it will take 100 years to field a team

Joe D is going to be in charge of a team that won six teams going to 0-2 wins -that is not good

our rbs are trash

our wrs are trash-spare me the hype-I will go by their actual numbers and performance on the field.-none of our wrs would be considered a one or a two-at best a 3 and on most teams not a three.

our tes are trash

our d line is trash

our lbs are trash

our secondary is trash

Sober up dude...SOJ drunkenness is curable.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, varjet said:

I like the concept of Joe Douglas, but at this point there is no sign that he has any plan to build a team that is playoff competitive any time soon.  If the Jets do not crash into this the first or second pick, next season with Darnold and a cast off veteran QB would likely be another mess. 

Of course not....We were in an ABSOLUTE mess after Idzik and Mac.  This will be a three year plan at least.  We might compete next year depending on how well our new QB plays, but this was a true three year plan from the get go.  I just don't see how people after one season can't see some of the good stuff that has been done. 

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Yes, it APPEARED like that. But make no mistake you know NOTHING about what actually happened. Tanny selected the biggest BUST of his Jets career while Mangini was the HC.

No Shlt sherlock....  albeit the words and phrases  "It appears and we can debate" . But thank God you're here to straighten us all out.  I never understand internet tough guys.   Rough Childhhood? Have a cream soda and relax.

20 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Agreed...  we can debate it forever but I noted that once. Mangini  left, Tanny sucked.  Terrible with contracts, terrible managing people etc.  He appears to have been influenced HEAVY by the HC at the time as he had NO experience with football talent.  

He had some bad picks, like everyone.  But with Rex it was Sanchez, Shonn Green, Slausen in 09, all fine.  

2010 it was a shaky draft for sure

2011 Wilkerson, Ellis, Bilal, Kerley

He was up and down for sure but it wasnt like he fell of into trash as far as those drafts went

But yeah, started out with promise, ended poorly

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, addage said:

Tanny did have a number of outstanding picks.  But he traded up in almost every case.  So yes the players he brought were good to great, but the other half of the roster suffered because we had so many fewer picks.

And in cases where he traded up and it didn't work out (Sanchez, Stephen Hill, Dustin Keller) it was especially devastating.

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

If you want to be realistic, sure.  But hey, lets get rid of ANOTHER GM after two seasons.  I am SURE we will find a HOF replacement who would love to come work here.

I have no idea if Douglas is any good and the Jets probably shouldn't fire him yet, but the dude put an 0-10 football team on the field this year and Jets fans are supposed to accept yet another season built on the selling point of they'll figure it out the following year. Same story the franchise has sold the base for 10 years and this is literally the worst team they have fielded in that time. Unacceptable. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I have no idea if Douglas is any good and the Jets probably shouldn't fire him yet, but the dude put an 0-10 football team on the field this year and Jets fans are supposed to accept yet another season built on the selling point of they'll figure it out the following year. Same story the franchise has sold the base for 10 years and this is literally the worst team they have fielded in that time. Unacceptable. 

No, he didn't.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah, an 0-10 team run by Adam Gase.  We would be at least .500 with this roster with a real coach.  

If after year three we are not in the playoffs, we can start considering firing Douglas.  He needs three years to put a team in position to be perennially competing for the playoffs.

22 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Have we ever had a really good GM?????   I give Douglas a pass as of today but I was not thrilled with Tanny or Parcells.  

I don't know if his official title was GM but Jim Kensil along with Walt Michaels had the three best drafts in Jets history from 1977, '78 and '79. That was a great collection of talent that was squandered by the pi$$ poor Joe Walton at HC. 1980 was a head scratcher with Johnny 'Lam' Jones at number one but they also got Darroll Ray and Lance Mehl in that draft so it wasn't a bust but after that when Walton took over the drafts have been awful - pretty much ever since.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He had some bad picks, like everyone.  But with Rex it was Sanchez, Shonn Green, Slausen in 09, all fine.  

2010 it was a shaky draft for sure

2011 Wilkerson, Ellis, Bilal, Kerley

He was up and down for sure but it wasnt like he fell of into trash as far as those drafts went

But yeah, started out with promise, ended poorly

So... I see  (I dont really know of course) REX pushing him to get Wilson and Wilkerson.   We had a young , up and coming QB and Gronk was on the board and we really could have helped Sanchez but the 2010 draft to me just blew my mind.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

No Shlt sherlock....  albeit the words and phrases  "It appears and we can debate" . But thank God you're here to straighten us all out.  I never understand internet tough guys.   Rough Childhhood? Have a cream soda and relax.

WTF are you talking about dingbat? My post is 100% fact, you can't debate it. You want to blame Rex for all of the teams shortcomings for that period. However, you CLAIM that and nothing more and try to present it as though you actually do have proof. Tanny was lucky in the beginning then he dropped like a stone.

22 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So... I see  (I dont really know of course) REX pushing him to get Wilson and Wilkerson.   We had a young , up and coming QB and Gronk was on the board and we really could have helped Sanchez but the 2010 draft to me just blew my mind.

Sanchez sucked and he was never worth helping after 2011.

33 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I don't know if his official title was GM but Jim Kensil along with Walt Michaels had the three best drafts in Jets history from 1977, '78 and '79. That was a great collection of talent that was squandered by the pi$$ poor Joe Walton at HC. 1980 was a head scratcher with Johnny 'Lam' Jones at number one but they also got Darroll Ray and Lance Mehl in that draft so it wasn't a bust but after that when Walton took over the drafts have been awful - pretty much ever since.

This is extremely accurate.  

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Villain The Foe remembers this well.

Speaking of which I'm amazed he hasn't made his return with Glennon starting this week for the Jaguars.

That calling card really stuck with him. Villan the Glennon.    I play golf with a young kid, my daughters age, who played for NC State and he says Glennon was a great QB.  maybe that’s why he himself is an 18 handicap. ?

• Haha 1

Just now, southparkcpa said:

That calling card really stuck with him. Villan the Glennon.    I play golf with a young kid, my daughters age, who played for NC State and he says Glennon was a great QB.  maybe that’s why he himself is an 18 handicap. ?

To be fair, Glennon did end up being the 2nd best QB from that vaunted 2013 class.  Behind Geno Smith.  lol.

• Haha 1