Why I Like what Douglas is doing

CanadaSteve

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

So... I see  (I dont really know of course) REX pushing him to get Wilson and Wilkerson.   We had a young , up and coming QB and Gronk was on the board and we really could have helped Sanchez but the 2010 draft to me just blew my mind.

Could be.  I know people say this all the time.  I get why, they all believe that because Rex was a defensive coach he pushed for all the picks on that side of the ball.  But Mangini was a defensive coach and it was D'Brick , Magold, Keller, Kerley, etc on offense.  Its hard to say,.  I always say, you draft a player, even if your HC pushes for that player, you are putting your name on the pick, you signed off on it so its yours.  You had the option to say no.  I dont get the impression that Douglas, at least with the top/main picks would buckle and pick a player that the HC wanted if he didnt like him

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Could be.  I know people say this all the time.  I get why, they all believe that because Rex was a defensive coach he pushed for all the picks on that side of the ball.  But Mangini was a defensive coach and it was D'Brick , Magold, Keller, Kerley, etc on offense.  Its hard to say,.  I always say, you draft a player, even if your HC pushes for that player, you are putting your name on the pick, you signed off on it so its yours.  You had the option to say no.  I dont get the impression that Douglas, at least with the top/main picks would buckle and pick a player that the HC wanted if he didnt like him

I remember Mangini trying to get Clemens to play better as he understood that Chad was limited. lasted about 3 weeks .... Chad was back under center.  I think  Mangini was more total picture than REX. So long ago...it’s a blur.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I remember Mangini trying to get Clemens to play better as he understood that Chad was limited. lasted about 3 weeks .... Chad was back under center.  I think  Mangini was more total picture than REX. So long ago...it’s a blur.  

This I do agree with.  Mangini was into a balanced team.  I always got the impression Rex was happy leading his side of the ball, the defensive units into battle and the offense was an afterthought.  But no doubt, Rex had no problem with the offense and defense being at odds and it was clear which side he thought was more important to the big picture

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

This I do agree with.  Mangini was into a balanced team.  I always got the impression Rex was happy leading his side of the ball, the defensive units into battle and the offense was an afterthought.  But no doubt, Rex had no problem with the offense and defense being at odds and it was clear which side he thought was more important to the big picture

Rex learned that from his dad.

Look at how Buddy built those eagles.   Randall on O, and massive talent everywhere on D.  That Philly D was possibly equal to the Bears, but no where near the balance.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Rex was dealt a bad hand a QB in Sanchez who wasn't capable of leading an offense so therefore Rex had to win with defense. 

What Rex did with Revis was never seen before and was absolutely amazing. He put Revis on an island. And had him shadow the opposing teams #1 WR with no Safety help just one on one on an island; not even #21 Primetime Sanders was able to do that; as he always guarded mostly #2 WR's while his coaches rolled over coverage to the #1 WR side. 

How Rex was able to lead us to back to back AFC Championship Games is something I still to this day don't know how he pulled it off. 

Brian Schottenheimer took a lot of crap from our fan base too and for no reason because he knew Sanchez stunk so what did he do as an OC throughout 2009 and 2010? He A.) Ran the football more than any other team combined and B.) He passed the football fewer than any other team combined as a way of C.) Hiding Mark Sanchez (because he knew he stunk)

and now look @ him since 2018 he's been balling out as OC of Seattle alongside Russell Wilson while rolling out a super exotic offense while Russell has had his 3 best NFL years under Shotty Jr. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Rex was dealt a bad hand a QB in Sanchez who wasn't capable of leading an offense so therefore Rex had to win with defense. 

What Rex did with Revis was never seen before and was absolutely amazing. He put Revis on an island. And had him shadow the opposing teams #1 WR with no Safety help just one on one on an island; not even #21 Primetime Sanders was able to do that; as he always guarded mostly #2 WR's while his coaches rolled over coverage to the #1 WR side. 

How Rex was able to lead us to back to back AFC Championship Games is something I still to this day don't know how he pulled it off. 

Brian Schottenheimer took a lot of crap from our fan base too and for no reason because he knew Sanchez stunk so what did he do as an OC throughout 2009 and 2010? He A.) Ran the football more than any other team combined and B.) He passed the football fewer than any other team combined as a way of C.) Hiding Mark Sanchez (because he knew he stunk)

and now look @ him since 2018 he's been balling out as OC of Seattle alongside Russell Wilson while rolling out a super exotic offense while Russell has had his 3 best NFL years under Shotty Jr. 

But that was Rex' first pick....It sure seemed like he was a BIG part of getting Sanchez.

12 hours ago, kmnj said:

joe d has been terrible-he brought in 10 terrible free agents which I have previously named

his draft

stud o lineman -a 5 year old should be able to hit on the first round

Mims-might be good-too early to tell

the rest is trash-so if the plan is to get two picks a year while bringing in terrible free agents and letting players go it will take 100 years to field a team

Joe D is going to be in charge of a team that won six teams going to 0-2 wins -that is not good

our rbs are trash

our wrs are trash-spare me the hype-I will go by their actual numbers and performance on the field.-none of our wrs would be considered a one or a two-at best a 3 and on most teams not a three.

our tes are trash

our d line is trash

our lbs are trash

our secondary is trash

i wonder if this forum was here in 1996 what you would be saying

NY JETS 1-15 Rich Kotite

our QBs are trash.. O'Donnell

our RBs are trash ... Adrian Murrell , Richey Anderson

our WRs are trash.... Keyshawn, Cherbert. 

our TEs are trash.... Kyle Brady, Fred Baxter

our O-line is trash... Jumbo Elliot, Roger Duffy, Matt O Dwyer, David Williams

our D-line is trash... Hugh Douglas, 

our LBs are trash.. Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones

our secondary are trash... Aaron Glenn, Ray Mickens, Otis Smith, Victor Green...

you are what your record says and this roster sucks

NY JETS 9-7 Bill Parcells

QB O'Donnell

RB Adrian Murrell , Richey Anderson

WR Keyshawn, Cherbert

TE Kyle Brady, Fred Baxter

OL Jumbo Elliot, Roger Duffy, Matt O Dwyer, David Williams

DL  Hugh Douglas

LB Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones

SEC Aaron Glenn, Ray Mickens, Otis Smith, Victor Green

the only good add by Bill was James Farrior. 

the most important starting positions are the same from a 1-15 team to a 9-7 team

Bill Parcells didnt think his roster sucked.  and neither does todays.

the right coach makes this roster win 8-9 games next year. this aint the rebuild rip down you think it needs. 

the only rebuild we need is the HC. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 11/26/2020 at 5:54 PM, CanadaSteve said:

I have criticized your criticism multiple times, but believed in the end I was being unfair.  If I am not willing to offer why I liked the move, there really is no reason to tell you or anyone else why I didn't like it!  So, again, it could be a wasted pick.  However, if you are going to get an extra pick every year by moving around, use it on a boom/bust type player.  And until we have a QB, keep picking them.  

Good stuff man.  I personally love Jd and most of what he's done, but still hate the Morgan pick.  Both can be present at te same time it seems.  I don't expect to a GM to be perfect, but I'd say he's in the black so far. 

Hey, did you ever get to see the Tour to end all tours before the shutdown? 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Good stuff man.  I personally love Jd and most of what he's done, but still hate the Morgan pick.  Both can be present at te same time it seems.  I don't expect to a GM to be perfect, but I'd say he's in the black so far. 

Hey, did you ever get to see the Tour to end all tours before the shutdown? 

YES!  Saw the Toronto show.  Probably the best they have sounded in years.  Paul not singing as much, not talking as much.  Know they are using backing tracks, but the volume was down a hair, and Eric and Tommy were filling in vocals.  Lots of bombs.  Just a great show.  They had announced just before Covid that the last concert was July 17, 2021 in NY.  I'm gonna need a place to stay cuz I will be there if it happens!

10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

YES!  Saw the Toronto show.  Probably the best they have sounded in years.  Paul not singing as much, not talking as much.  Know they are using backing tracks, but the volume was down a hair, and Eric and Tommy were filling in vocals.  Lots of bombs.  Just a great show.  They had announced just before Covid that the last concert was July 17, 2021 in NY.  I'm gonna need a place to stay cuz I will be there if it happens!

THats awesome man.  I caught it with my son in Virginia. I thought it was one of the best shows theyve ever put on. And that's saying something. There are obviously vocal tracks like you said, but I don't really care at this point lol 

Highlight IMO was God of Thunder!  I liked what they did this time around with the Gene faces. 

Good stuff. I'm haopy to hear you caught it before everything went to $hit. 

On 11/26/2020 at 5:53 PM, southparkcpa said:

Have we ever had a really good GM?????   I give Douglas a pass as of today but I was not thrilled with Tanny or Parcells.  

Jim Kensil was the GM in the Late 70's early 80's he built a team loaded with talent that got us back to the playoff's in the early 80's and one of the most talented teams in the NFL who had both the best OL and DL at the time and stacked with skill players like Toon Walker McNeil Harper Hector Shuler .... Only thing we lacked was a HC after Walt Micheals was Fired by Hess. We had to endure Joe Walton who proceeded to squander all that talent for 7 years with the chants Joe Must Go echoing around the stadium. Roster was stacked with incredible depth

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

Offensive linemen

Defensive linemen

Linebackers

Defensive backs

Special teams

• Upvote 1