New Mock Offseason

maury77

Lots to dig my claws into here.  Gonna let this simmer for a bit before diving in deep, but wanted to say 1 thing real quick.

I have been penciling in Corey Davis in my head for weeks now as well.  He seems like the perfect compliment to Mims and Crowder.  I think Signing him would like preclude a WR pick in an early round which I imagine would not be a popular decision, but I'm very interested in Davis.  I see you do not subscribe to that thought with the Moore pick, so it's quite possible I'm wrong.

Linderbaum will be on tv tomorrow for those so inclined.  He will likely cement some fans.

16 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Lots to dig my claws into here.  Gonna let this simmer for a bit before diving in deep, but wanted to say 1 thing real quick.

I have been penciling in Corey Davis in my head for weeks now as well.  He seems like the perfect compliment to Mims and Crowder.  I think Signing him would like preclude a WR pick in an early round which I imagine would not be a popular decision, but I'm very interested in Davis.  I see you do not subscribe to that thought with the Moore pick, so it's quite possible I'm wrong.

Linderbaum will be on tv tomorrow for those so inclined.  He will likely cement some fans.

I actually agree with you about Davis obviating the need for a WR early, but the value of Moore a that spot was too good to pass up and I think next year will be Crowder's last for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

@maury77 This is great, I was gonna do one of these myself tomorrow since it’s a day off. 

Really the only thing I’d change is the Wyatt Davis pick. 1) I’m looking at some Wyatt Davis clips and I have concerns. 2) I think Linderbaum + Thuney is plenty of investment on the interior OL. I’d have taken Harris there or a CB like Stokes or Shaun Wade.

Everything else I love. Getting Jevon Holland where you did is terrific and the kind of pick that the main board would hate. I’ve been watching Brady Christensen since I can’t stop watching Zach Wilson and he’s been impressive. 

I appreciate that you didn’t ignore defense and went hard on improving the talent level there. 

• Upvote 1

While I don't particularly like the Harbough hire, I like the OC hire, so I can live with it.

I really like the draft but I don't think Davis lasts until pick 30. I think OL much like QBs tend to rise in the draft process. I love him but I think he goes in the teens. Would absolutely love if the draft ended up in this fashion.

My big problem is Corey Davis. I watch the Titans often and even used to blog about them. He does OK as the No. 3 option in that offense, but he is not pushing our offense anywhere. Other than availability, I'm not sure if I'd rather have Perriman. Titans have Henry as the primary weapon, Brown as the No. 1, and run a play action based offense that clears passing lanes. If we had a No. 1 guy, and a great slot guy, then sure, but we need an outside guy that can actually win. Rather go after Galloday/Robinson/JuJu even if it means paying more.

Love Jayon Brown, and with the injury he might be a bit cheaper too. Love Thuney.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, win4ever said:

While I don't particularly like the Harbough hire, I like the OC hire, so I can live with it.

I really like the draft but I don't think Davis lasts until pick 30. I think OL much like QBs tend to rise in the draft process. I love him but I think he goes in the teens. Would absolutely love if the draft ended up in this fashion.

My big problem is Corey Davis. I watch the Titans often and even used to blog about them. He does OK as the No. 3 option in that offense, but he is not pushing our offense anywhere. Other than availability, I'm not sure if I'd rather have Perriman. Titans have Henry as the primary weapon, Brown as the No. 1, and run a play action based offense that clears passing lanes. If we had a No. 1 guy, and a great slot guy, then sure, but we need an outside guy that can actually win. Rather go after Galloday/Robinson/JuJu even if it means paying more.

Love Jayon Brown, and with the injury he might be a bit cheaper too. Love Thuney.

Completely agree on Davis. I live in Nashville. If Davis is our “big” add at WR, lol, we are or have not payed attention. Davis in a contract year on a team where he’s the 3rd option is doing just OK - has greatly under performed and disappeared in a lot of games. 

hard pass for me. 

• Sympathy 1

Knowing what Tony Elliot likes to run and the players that he targets in recruiting, Rondale Moore wouldn’t really be a fit IMO.  Clemson doesn’t target the smaller speed guys, like almost never at all.  Elliot prefers the 6 foot plus longer receivers.  I think Crowder will do well with how Elliot runs the slot position.   I do think he will use the TE position more in the NFL than he does at CU.   A Mims and Robinson combo would be nice, or a Mims and Golladay combo.  Think of Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross on the field at the same time, bigger boundary receivers.  

Anyway, overall a very good job.  Doing these complete off season mocks hurt my head when I try do them...Lol.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kdels62 said:

@maury77 This is great, I was gonna do one of these myself tomorrow since it’s a day off. 

Really the only thing I’d change is the Wyatt Davis pick. 1) I’m looking at some Wyatt Davis clips and I have concerns. 2) I think Linderbaum + Thuney is plenty of investment on the interior OL. I’d have taken Harris there or a CB like Stokes or Shaun Wade.

Everything else I love. Getting Jevon Holland where you did is terrific and the kind of pick that the main board would hate. I’ve been watching Brady Christensen since I can’t stop watching Zach Wilson and he’s been impressive. 

I appreciate that you didn’t ignore defense and went hard on improving the talent level there. 

I can't disagree with you about Davis v. Harris. I'm a little down on Shaun Wade this year as he has struggled on the outside. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

I agree with what you said, where I differ is I think Mims will be the no 1. next year (and a good one at that). 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I can't disagree with you about Davis v. Harris. I'm a little down on Shaun Wade this year as he has struggled on the outside. 

I agree about Wade, I’m just hoping he builds some consistency at the end of the season. Either way I think a really good nickelback that is also the 3rd outside CB is good relative value. I think this draft will see a bunch of CBs off the board in the first two rounds and I’d hate to be left with none.

Completely agree on Davis. I live in Nashville. If Davis is our “big” add ar WR lol we are or have not payed attention. Davis in a contract year on a team where he’s the 3rd option is doing just OK - has greatly under performed and disappeared in a lot of games. 

hard pass for me. 

Yeah I live in Nashville as well, and the more I talk to people, the more divided they are. I work in real estate, so one of my strategies was to talk about football, and Davis is pretty much seen as a low end No. 2, higher 3 type because that offense centers around Henry. Some people want him because of "continuity" but it's not a heart break moment.

To me, his main issue is that he doesn't do anything great. He's not a jack of all trades, more like a 7 or 8 of all trades. Rounds out routes, doesn't highpoint the ball enough, not beating people one on one unless the defense is focused completely elsewhere, but he is a decent blocker. Look he's better than some trash we are throwing out there at times, but I wouldn't pay up for it. It's also telling they declined his 5th year option on a team that needs more receivers.

And AJ Brown is a beast as well.

Off topic, but how loaded was that Ole Miss team on offense in 2017? They had Brown, Metcalf, Van Jefferson plus Dawson Knox (Bills TE) and Jordan Wilkins (Colts RB).

I agree with what you said, where I differ is I think Mims will be the no 1. next year (and a good one at that). 

I think Mims has a shot, not sure I want him as the No. 1 when he's so young. I think a veteran guy like Robinson can help him and the young QB immensely.

I'd love Moore though, him in the slot with two legit outside guys could really elevate the offense.

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Yeah I live in Nashville as well, and the more I talk to people, the more divided they are. I work in real estate, so one of my strategies was to talk about football, and Davis is pretty much seen as a low end No. 2, higher 3 type because that offense centers around Henry. Some people want him because of "continuity" but it's not a heart break moment.

To me, his main issue is that he doesn't do anything great. He's not a jack of all trades, more like a 7 or 8 of all trades. Rounds out routes, doesn't highpoint the ball enough, not beating people one on one unless the defense is focused completely elsewhere, but he is a decent blocker. Look he's better than some trash we are throwing out there at times, but I wouldn't pay up for it. It's also telling they declined his 5th year option on a team that needs more receivers.

And AJ Brown is a beast as well.

Off topic, but how loaded was that Ole Miss team on offense in 2017? They had Brown, Metcalf, Van Jefferson plus Dawson Knox (Bills TE) and Jordan Wilkins (Colts RB).

Demarkus something as well (can't remember his last name)

Allen Robinson is ready to move on & im praying he's moving into NJ! We need a veteran #1 WR for our new QB & for Mims to get a bit more seasoning. Love drafting Moore to be groomed in the slot under Crowder for a year. We could have a dynamic offense in one offseason if JD does this right.