Jump to content
Dcat

Forfeit?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone think that the NFL will call a forfeit on Baltimore this week?  I am reading multiple suggestions of this happening.

The Ravens strength and conditioning coach broke protocol and there is a fair amount of suspicion that he caused this massive outbreak on the Ravens.  

Is this one more step to Steelers 16-0 by giving them a pair of bye weeks and a win against their toughest opponent.. ?

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic but imagine if the Steelers finish 16-0 and we finish 0-16. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That would be outrageous. I can't imagine the backlash from that move. 

It won't happen. 

I really hope it doesn’t. They will lose without Lamar anyway. Fine them and if they really messed up, hit them where it hurts: Send Harbaugh to coach the Jets. Or take away draft picks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Drums said:

I really hope it doesn’t. They will lose without Lamar anyway. Fine them and if they really messed up, hit them where it hurts: Send Harbaugh to coach the Jets. Or take away draft picks. 

Send Harbaugh and all there draft picks to the Jets. Gonna go? Go big!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Could this be the beginning of the dam bursting?

Today's nfl.com page:

image.png

 

Honestly, if they were forced to end the regular season early, it would be a massive boon to the Jets.  Get the #1 pick locked in without having to bear the pain of 0-16.  

Or, we lose it due to a forfeit win?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Or, we lose it due to a forfeit win?

Could happen to us or JAX I guess but that would be a PR nightmare for the NFL either way if the #1 pick swung on a forfeit win.  I honestly can't imagine how brutal the backlash would be.  Whether they give a crap or not is a whole other question though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Could happen to us or JAX I guess but that would be a PR nightmare for the NFL either way if the #1 pick swung on a forfeit win.  I honestly can't imagine how brutal the backlash would be.  Whether they give a crap or not is a whole other question though.  

Yeah, it'd be a big mess.  THough, as you say, I'm not sure the NFL is too worried about the uprising of the mighty Jets or Jags fanbases!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Or, we lose it due to a forfeit win?

I thought that I had heard that forfeits would not be used in calculating draft order. Too lazy to look it up at this point.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Send Harbaugh and all there draft picks to the Jets. Gonna go? Go big!

That brings us to 4-12 at least

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Could this be the beginning of the dam bursting?

Today's nfl.com page:

image.png

 

Honestly, if they were forced to end the regular season early, it would be a massive boon to the Jets.  Get the #1 pick locked in without having to bear the pain of 0-16.  

The fantasy tab above the bulleted news items is very appropriate considering a lot of people seem to have been fantasizing about the "dam bursting" all season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Could this be the beginning of the dam bursting?

Today's nfl.com page:

image.png

 

Honestly, if they were forced to end the regular season early, it would be a massive boon to the Jets.  Get the #1 pick locked in without having to bear the pain of 0-16.  

 

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Could happen to us or JAX I guess but that would be a PR nightmare for the NFL either way if the #1 pick swung on a forfeit win.  I honestly can't imagine how brutal the backlash would be.  Whether they give a crap or not is a whole other question though.  

 

22 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I thought that I had heard that forfeits would not be used in calculating draft order. Too lazy to look it up at this point.

 

Lottery system is possible if the season spirals out of control

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jgb said:

 

 

Lottery system is possible if the season spirals out of control

No way in hell. Haha 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Too much of the season has been played to do that IMO.  3/4 of the season is in the books.  

 

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

No way in hell. Haha 

If there are unequal games played, they'll need to do something. Perhaps a coin toss tie break against teams with equal losses or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jgb said:

 

If there are unequal games played, they'll need to do something. Perhaps a coin toss tie break against teams with equal losses or something.

Oh ok. Yeah at spots with multiple teams I agree. I thought you were suggesting a top of the draft type thing like NBA, getting ready to fight you 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I thought that I had heard that forfeits would not be used in calculating draft order. Too lazy to look it up at this point.

If a team forfeits, it is treated as a win for draft order purposes.  So not only does it not help a team secure a higher pick, it actually hurts your chances.

Forfeits would be good for no one.  I'm sure the league will do anything it possibly can to prevent a forfeit from happening.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Or, we lose it due to a forfeit win?

Oh my God!

Only the NY Jets could do that!  

@Charlie Brown....   there it is, right there ^ 

That's how it will happen: 1-15 due to a NE Patriots forfeit in week 17.  Cleverly devised by Bill Belichick.  How to screw the Jets without actually losing.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A forfeit would be a mess and they'll add weeks and push the Superbowl back first.  The titans were far more egregious. If Baltimore forfeits, how do you go to the teams affected by the Titans after the Titans held practices when they were explicitly told not to do so..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If a team forfeits, it is treated as a win for draft order purposes.  So not only does it not help a team secure a higher pick, it actually hurts your chances.

Forfeits would be good for no one.  I'm sure the league will do anything it possibly can to prevent a forfeit from happening.

The more I read, a forfeit would be a last resort. The more likely result would be a "no contest", with the game not counting as a W or L. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Oh my God!

Only the NY Jets could do that!  

@Charlie Brown....   there it is, right there ^ 

That's how it will happen: 1-15 due to a NE Patriots forfeit in week 17.  Cleverly devised by Bill Belichick.  How to screw the Jets without actually losing.

We would still get the # 1 pick in that instance.  For draft order purposes, we'd be 0-16 in the  league's eyes.

EDIT:  Or 0-15, if @Scott Dierking is correct on his interpretation.  Either way, we wouldn't be hurt by a New England forfeit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We would still get the # 1 pick in that instance.  For draft order purposes, we'd be 0-16 in the  league's eyes.

EDIT:  Or 0-15, if @Scott Dierking is correct on his interpretation.  Either way, we wouldn't be hurt by a New England forfeit.

I'm sure the Jets will find a novel way to blow it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the new NFL (sports/life) as we've never known it to be before; it's here to stay..

We might as well get used to it too because unfortunately I don't see Covid going anywhere anytime soon and I'm imagining it's going to be here (worldwide) forever. 

61,828,058 covid cases worldwide and effecting 218 Countries worldwide? And we're thinking Football in 2021 will once again be normal again? I hope I'm wrong but I feel like this will become our "new norm" moving forward...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Does anyone think that the NFL will call a forfeit on Baltimore this week?  I am reading multiple suggestions of this happening.

Who thought this would be a good idea that would go over with fans?

I'm thinking theres little chance of this happening.  Actually thinking about it, no chance at all.  Arent the Browns one game ahead of the Ravens?  

That game could have huge consequences.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Does anyone think that the NFL will call a forfeit on Baltimore this week?  I am reading multiple suggestions of this happening.

The Ravens strength and conditioning coach broke protocol and there is a fair amount of suspicion that he caused this massive outbreak on the Ravens.  

Is this one more step to Steelers 16-0 by giving them a pair of bye weeks and a win against their toughest opponent.. ?

Was talking about this with a Steelers fan early today @Big Ben. I know it has already been discussed in this thread. But I don't see forfeits happening. Dangerous precedent. Because the Jets could say they had an outbreak and just skip the rest of the season.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...