Forfeit?

Dcat

Does anyone think that the NFL will call a forfeit on Baltimore this week?  I am reading multiple suggestions of this happening.

The Ravens strength and conditioning coach broke protocol and there is a fair amount of suspicion that he caused this massive outbreak on the Ravens.  

Is this one more step to Steelers 16-0 by giving them a pair of bye weeks and a win against their toughest opponent.. ?

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That would be outrageous. I can't imagine the backlash from that move. 

It won't happen. 

I really hope it doesn’t. They will lose without Lamar anyway. Fine them and if they really messed up, hit them where it hurts: Send Harbaugh to coach the Jets. Or take away draft picks. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Could this be the beginning of the dam bursting?

Today's nfl.com page:

image.png

Honestly, if they were forced to end the regular season early, it would be a massive boon to the Jets.  Get the #1 pick locked in without having to bear the pain of 0-16.  

Or, we lose it due to a forfeit win?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Could happen to us or JAX I guess but that would be a PR nightmare for the NFL either way if the #1 pick swung on a forfeit win.  I honestly can't imagine how brutal the backlash would be.  Whether they give a crap or not is a whole other question though.  

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Could happen to us or JAX I guess but that would be a PR nightmare for the NFL either way if the #1 pick swung on a forfeit win.  I honestly can't imagine how brutal the backlash would be.  Whether they give a crap or not is a whole other question though.  

Yeah, it'd be a big mess.  THough, as you say, I'm not sure the NFL is too worried about the uprising of the mighty Jets or Jags fanbases!

51 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Today's nfl.com page:

image.png

Honestly, if they were forced to end the regular season early, it would be a massive boon to the Jets.  Get the #1 pick locked in without having to bear the pain of 0-16.  

The fantasy tab above the bulleted news items is very appropriate considering a lot of people seem to have been fantasizing about the "dam bursting" all season. 

52 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Today's nfl.com page:

image.png

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

22 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I thought that I had heard that forfeits would not be used in calculating draft order. Too lazy to look it up at this point.

Lottery system is possible if the season spirals out of control

18 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Too much of the season has been played to do that IMO.  3/4 of the season is in the books.  

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

No way in hell. Haha 

If there are unequal games played, they'll need to do something. Perhaps a coin toss tie break against teams with equal losses or something.

30 minutes ago, jgb said:

If there are unequal games played, they'll need to do something. Perhaps a coin toss tie break against teams with equal losses or something.

Oh ok. Yeah at spots with multiple teams I agree. I thought you were suggesting a top of the draft type thing like NBA, getting ready to fight you 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I thought that I had heard that forfeits would not be used in calculating draft order. Too lazy to look it up at this point.

If a team forfeits, it is treated as a win for draft order purposes.  So not only does it not help a team secure a higher pick, it actually hurts your chances.

Forfeits would be good for no one.  I'm sure the league will do anything it possibly can to prevent a forfeit from happening.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Oh my God!

Only the NY Jets could do that!  

@Charlie Brown....   there it is, right there ^ 

That's how it will happen: 1-15 due to a NE Patriots forfeit in week 17.  Cleverly devised by Bill Belichick.  How to screw the Jets without actually losing.

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If a team forfeits, it is treated as a win for draft order purposes.  So not only does it not help a team secure a higher pick, it actually hurts your chances.

Forfeits would be good for no one.  I'm sure the league will do anything it possibly can to prevent a forfeit from happening.

The more I read, a forfeit would be a last resort. The more likely result would be a "no contest", with the game not counting as a W or L. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Oh my God!

Only the NY Jets could do that!  

@Charlie Brown....   there it is, right there ^ 

That's how it will happen: 1-15 due to a NE Patriots forfeit in week 17.  Cleverly devised by Bill Belichick.  How to screw the Jets without actually losing.

We would still get the # 1 pick in that instance.  For draft order purposes, we'd be 0-16 in the  league's eyes.

EDIT:  Or 0-15, if @Scott Dierking is correct on his interpretation.  Either way, we wouldn't be hurt by a New England forfeit.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We would still get the # 1 pick in that instance.  For draft order purposes, we'd be 0-16 in the  league's eyes.

EDIT:  Or 0-15, if @Scott Dierking is correct on his interpretation.  Either way, we wouldn't be hurt by a New England forfeit.

I'm sure the Jets will find a novel way to blow it. 

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the new NFL (sports/life) as we've never known it to be before; it's here to stay..

We might as well get used to it too because unfortunately I don't see Covid going anywhere anytime soon and I'm imagining it's going to be here (worldwide) forever. 

61,828,058 covid cases worldwide and effecting 218 Countries worldwide? And we're thinking Football in 2021 will once again be normal again? I hope I'm wrong but I feel like this will become our "new norm" moving forward...

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Does anyone think that the NFL will call a forfeit on Baltimore this week?  I am reading multiple suggestions of this happening.

Who thought this would be a good idea that would go over with fans?

I'm thinking theres little chance of this happening.  Actually thinking about it, no chance at all.  Arent the Browns one game ahead of the Ravens?  

That game could have huge consequences.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

The Ravens strength and conditioning coach broke protocol and there is a fair amount of suspicion that he caused this massive outbreak on the Ravens.  

Is this one more step to Steelers 16-0 by giving them a pair of bye weeks and a win against their toughest opponent.. ?

Was talking about this with a Steelers fan early today @Big Ben. I know it has already been discussed in this thread. But I don't see forfeits happening. Dangerous precedent. Because the Jets could say they had an outbreak and just skip the rest of the season.  :)