Marcus Maye is a building block and the Jets should extend him

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Overshadowed by the Mouth of the Defense ever since he was drafted just one round after Adams, Marcus Maye has (somewhat quietly) become a consistent presence on the D and someone the Jets should abso

He’s ok.    depends on the money 

He’s ok and older for his amount of time in the NFL but we can’t let talent leave anymore. We are a disgusting wasteland of sh*t. I’m not a fan of him at all but we probably shouldn’t let anymore tale

Posted Images

No thanks. 

He's a FS who has zero ballhawking ability of whatsoever and he's also a non-impactful player (mediocre). 

Dalvin Cook as a real impactful player should've been a Jet and as an FSU fan I blew an absolute head gasket when we passed on this kid (who went two picks later) for Marcus freaking Maye; a non impactful player with zero ball hawking ability as nothing more than a mediocre Free Safety who will (already) soon be 30 (28 next season). 

You can replace Maye's production during the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds of every NFL draft and giving him a contract extension would become absolutely disgusting.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He’s ok and older for his amount of time in the NFL but we can’t let talent leave anymore. We are a disgusting wasteland of sh*t. I’m not a fan of him at all but we probably shouldn’t let anymore talent leave. 

Curious to hear why you're not a fan of his...at all? 

Assuming you're not one of the ones that had a raging hard on for Jamal, what reason is there to not like Maye what so ever? 

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You can replace Maye's production during the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds of every NFL draft and giving him a contract extension would become absolutely disgusting

That's not neccesarily true. 

He is well deserving of a contract extension. Just depends how much said contract extension is for. 

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

No thanks. 

He's a FS who has zero ballhawking ability of whatsoever and he's also a non-impactful player (mediocre). 

Dalvin Cook as a real impactful player should've been a Jet and as an FSU fan I blew an absolute head gasket when we passed on this kid (who went two picks later) for Marcus freaking Maye; a non impactful player with zero ball hawking ability as nothing more than a mediocre Free Safety who will (already) soon be 30 (28 next season). 

You can replace Maye's production during the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds of every NFL draft and giving him a contract extension would become absolutely disgusting.  

I pounded the table for Dalvin Cook.  He should have been the pick but he wasn't.  That doesn't mean that we should hold Macc's incompetence against Marcus Maye.  Maye has turned out to be a very good 2nd rounder and on a team that doesn't do a good job of retaining its own drafted talent I think he's worthy of an extension.

Also, similar to Adams, Maye has never really been a "ballhawking Safety."  He only played FS because Adams was SS.  If the Jets can extend Maye at a market rate deal (or even slightly over) they should do it.  This team has at least 5 needs on defense let alone a forklift upgrade still to be done on offense.  The last thing we should do is add a 6th need on D.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Overshadowed by the Mouth of the Defense ever since he was drafted just one round after Adams, Marcus Maye has (somewhat quietly) become a consistent presence on the D and someone the Jets should absolutely build around.  I think we've taken this guy for granted a bit around here.  He's well above average and has sported a high PFF grade each of the last 3 seasons.  If I'm Joe Douglas I work to extend Maye and I hope that Ashtyn Davis continues to develop knowing that we have him for at least three more seasons on a low-cost 3rd round rookie deal.  Extending Maye would largely solidify the Safety position for years to come (again, along with Davis) and let the Jets focus on getting a few key pieces needed to make the defense  a Top 10-15 group (a bonafide Edge rusher and a lockdown CB).

I think we talk about Maye so little around here simply because he just comes out and does his job at a very high level every week without drawing a lot of attention to himself.  I'd like to see a few more big plays in the passing game out of him (ex. more INTs) but he's been very effective.  And as I said above, his consistency is what impresses me the most.

PFF Grades - Marcus Maye

2020 - 79.4

2019 - 74.5

2018 - 80.0

1976411477_ScreenShot2020-11-27at3_44_23PM.thumb.png.04b5a083fab48040a01c267d0455922c.png

No doubt he’s a good player and the jets need more like him. Keeping him means they don’t need to look for a free safety either in the draft or through free agency. He’s a little old so I suspect he’s going to want to get his pay day now as opposed to a player who has more productive years in front of him. So it all comes down to money.

6 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Curious to hear why you're not a fan of his...at all? 

Assuming you're not one of the ones that had a raging hard on for Jamal, what reason is there to not like Maye what so ever? 

I hated Jamal. I like Marcus way more than Jamal but Marcus isn’t a ball hawking FS, is a little long in the tooth for a player going for his first contract where he will try to cash in (rightfully so) and just doesn’t impress me.

If he were a role player or someone that wasn’t going to expect starting FS money, I’d be a big fan but he always underwhelmed me. He seemed very overrated on this message board just because he was one of the least smelly turds in the toilet that is the Jets. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hated Jamal. I like Marcus way more than Jamal but Marcus isn’t a ball hawking FS, is a little long in the tooth for a player going for his first contract where he will try to cash in (rightfully so) and just doesn’t impress me.

If he were a role player or someone that wasn’t going to expect starting FS money, I’d be a big fan but he always underwhelmed me. He seemed very overrated on this message board just because he was one of the least smelly turds in the toilet that is the Jets. 

I guess I just come from the camp that he gets the job done and very serviceable, and letting him go just opens another hole to roll the dice on to fill. 

20 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Why did we pass on cook?  Other than Mac sucks

Mac's people had been personally affected by domestic violence - Dalvin cook fell for some concerns around that kind of stuff.

I get it.  But I wanted Dalvin Cook and from appearances now he seems like a solid guy.

• Upvote 1

Howcome despite Jamal Adams recording tackles for losses behind the LOS, recording sacks, hitting QBs with pressures galore and multiple defensive TDs as an absolute tackling machine, Pro Bowl and All Pro selections etc etc but yet he was still called out by this fan base due to "a lack of INTs" as a freaking STRONG SAFETY?

But yet Marcus Maye is a FREE SAFETY (same ball Hawking position as Ed Reed) and our fan base isn't outraged about having a FREE SAFETY who's got 0 ball hawking ability (whatsoever) and has only recorded a whopping 5 career ints despite being 10 games into his 4th season? 

That is absolutely pathetic. 

If you've only got (throughout 4 years) 2 career QB hits, only 2.5 career sacks, 0 defensive TDs, 0 fumble recoveries and only 2 career QB hits with only 4 career tackled for loss etc AT LEAST INTERCEPT THE FKN BALL with game changing and impactful plays as a FREE SAFETY?

But nope. Marcus Maye has been absolutely useless and he's also awful against the pass (targeted 28 times while allowing 19 completions (and for a FS) an embarrassing 67.9% completion percentage allowed). 

PS: Jamal Adams (in 2018 55% and last year 2019 53%) was much better against the pass than Maye of 2020 (67.9% against) and I'm sorry but for a FREE SAFETY that's absolutely embarrassing!

• Thumb Down 1

I agree. There's no good reason to get rid of ALL of your talented players. Since his injury situation, MM has been an excellent player. He's also very vocal team leader so the newspapers say? If that's the case I would vote to keep him.

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

I guess I just come from the camp that he gets the job done and very serviceable, and letting him go just opens another hole to roll the dice on to fill. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think we are in a position to let go of any talent at all at this point. I agree with you about the hole it creates. 

6 minutes ago, addage said:

Maye has earned his payday.  And if you want to have a winning culture, you reward the players who perform for you.

Hope we can keep him.  Hope he wants to stay.

Maye has 5 INTs, 4 forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks in his career.

What are we even discussing this for?

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Maye has 5 INTs, 4 forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks in his career.

What are we even discussing this for?

And Jamal Adams as a STRONG SAFETY had better coverage grades in both 2018 and last year of 2019 than Marcus Maye as a FS has in coverage here in 2020 and that is absolutely pathetic from a FS. 

He's nothing more than a non impactful FS who has zero ball hawking ability whatsoever and makes an impact play once every 10 games. He STINKS. 

• Upvote 1

What's pathetic about much of our Fan Base was how even way before Jamal ever joined Seattle, Jet fans would mock and nit-pick him for his coverage grades despite the fact he was a SS....

But yet those same Jet fans (now) ignore how Marcus Maye AS A FREE SAFETY of 2020 has even WORSE Pass Coverage grades this year than Adams EVER DID THROUGHOUT 2017-2018 and last year 2019.

And that?

Is disgusting to me; absolutely disgusting. 

A SS despite making impact plays with pro bowls and all pros gets attacked for "Coverage" but Maye gets a free pass as a FS for absolutely stinking in coverage?

Too funny. 

Maye has allowed 19 completions after being targeted 28 times and his completion percentage allowed of 67.9% is worse than Adams ever was as a JET in Coverage (and almost as bad as Jamal has been in coverage for Seattle this year)!

I would sign Maybe because:

1. He is a good player

2. He is a very solid citizen

3. You have to bring some of the existing players back.

Someone has to know where the local restaurants are next year when the players have camp and mini camp in person.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

What's pathetic about much of our Fan Base was how even way before Jamal ever joined Seattle, Jet fans would mock and nit-pick him for his coverage grades despite the fact he was a SS....

But yet those same Jet fans (now) ignore how Marcus Maye AS A FREE SAFETY of 2020 has even WORSE Pass Coverage grades this year than Adams EVER DID THROUGHOUT 2017-2018 and last year 2019.

And that?

Is disgusting to me; absolutely disgusting. 

A SS despite making impact plays with pro bowls and all pros gets attacked for "Coverage" but Maye gets a free pass as a FS for absolutely stinking in coverage?

Too funny. 

Maye has allowed 19 completions after being targeted 28 times and his completion percentage allowed of 67.9% is worse than Adams ever was as a JET in Coverage (and almost as bad as Jamal has been in coverage for Seattle this year)!

In fairness not every fan realizes that Defense Wins Championships.

• Haha 4