Jump to content

Marcus Maye is a building block and the Jets should extend him


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He’s ok and older for his amount of time in the NFL but we can’t let talent leave anymore. We are a disgusting wasteland of sh*t. I’m not a fan of him at all but we probably shouldn’t let anymore talent leave. 

Fair. 
 

I’d like to keep him, if possible 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Overshadowed by the Mouth of the Defense ever since he was drafted just one round after Adams, Marcus Maye has (somewhat quietly) become a consistent presence on the D and someone the Jets should abso

He’s ok and older for his amount of time in the NFL but we can’t let talent leave anymore. We are a disgusting wasteland of sh*t. I’m not a fan of him at all but we probably shouldn’t let anymore tale

He’s ok.    depends on the money 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Maye is a JAG. 

Let's draft his replacement in the 5th round and move on.

Now you went to far.

Hes good, not great but also not a jag.

And I know some hate to hear this, but NFL teams have safeties on their rosters. More than one even

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maye has quietly had a very good season.  He’s definitely the most talented player on our entire defense.

Hes not as flashy as Jamal was but he keeps things pretty tight back there and has been one of the better safeties in the league for a long time.

The risk factor with him is all about availability.  But yea, you sign him in a hurry if the price is discounted.  Hell you sign him anyway even if he’s just market price, bc you need some continuity and lvl of talent to be competitive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maye is a good player, not a great one.

If you can retain him for good starter money, you do it. If someone else offers him great starter money, you thank him for his service to the team and move on. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Yes, Maye should be retained. He’s a good player. He’s in that Poole and Crowder category. Solid player who’s reliable and leads by example. Extend all three.

Hes a solid player who isnt going to demand or get big money.  

Should be a no brainer, unless they think Davis is an upgrade, I dont see it yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

No thanks. 

He's a FS who has zero ballhawking ability of whatsoever and he's also a non-impactful player (mediocre). 

Dalvin Cook as a real impactful player should've been a Jet and as an FSU fan I blew an absolute head gasket when we passed on this kid (who went two picks later) for Marcus freaking Maye; a non impactful player with zero ball hawking ability as nothing more than a mediocre Free Safety who will (already) soon be 30 (28 next season). 

You can replace Maye's production during the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds of every NFL draft and giving him a contract extension would become absolutely disgusting.  

Dalvin Cook is better than Marcus Maye. Check. Well said.

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Howcome despite Jamal Adams recording tackles for losses behind the LOS, recording sacks, hitting QBs with pressures galore and multiple defensive TDs as an absolute tackling machine, Pro Bowl and All Pro selections etc etc but yet he was still called out by this fan base due to "a lack of INTs" as a freaking STRONG SAFETY?

But yet Marcus Maye is a FREE SAFETY (same ball Hawking position as Ed Reed) and our fan base isn't outraged about having a FREE SAFETY who's got 0 ball hawking ability (whatsoever) and has only recorded a whopping 5 career ints despite being 10 games into his 4th season? 

That is absolutely pathetic. 

If you've only got (throughout 4 years) 2 career QB hits, only 2.5 career sacks, 0 defensive TDs, 0 fumble recoveries and only 2 career QB hits with only 4 career tackled for loss etc AT LEAST INTERCEPT THE FKN BALL with game changing and impactful plays as a FREE SAFETY?

But nope. Marcus Maye has been absolutely useless and he's also awful against the pass (targeted 28 times while allowing 19 completions (and for a FS) an embarrassing 67.9% completion percentage allowed). 

PS: Jamal Adams (in 2018 55% and last year 2019 53%) was much better against the pass than Maye of 2020 (67.9% against) and I'm sorry but for a FREE SAFETY that's absolutely embarrassing!

If someone offered us two 1st and a third for Maye we would certainly take that. If he signs for middle of the road money then you sign the middle of the road player. Its not complicated and certainly should not be emotional. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

 

You can replace Maye's production during the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds of every NFL draft and giving him a contract extension would become absolutely disgusting.  

Actually you can’t.  You don’t let Maye walk with the notion that you are going to draft someone in the mid to late rounds and expect them to start day one, that’s foolish, no GM thinks that way.  Maye won’t break the bank, he’s solid, and has been a good soldier during this mess of a season.   Currently, I believe Davis is the only safety on the roster for 2021.  

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember he missed the rookie year with an injury and has only been healthy the last 2 he's not the biggest problem we have.   We need to keep the locker room level.  He isn't that out spoken but shows up and is ready to give his all.   It all comes down to money keep him for the right price, if he's just going to leave for the money then it never really works out and just let him go.  JD will give him fair market price.   I think he learned from the Robbie Anderson situation.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Yes, Maye should be retained. He’s a good player. He’s in that Poole and Crowder category. Solid player who’s reliable and leads by example. Extend all three.

Exactly this. Good character, humble, carry themselves with class. Just remember that Maye  played way better than Adams in their rookie seasons, he's a better all-around player.

He also isn't the type of guy who's going to run roughshod on the organization with his mouth through the media about his big payday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally you need to pay the Piper when a guys about to hit the market. I'm offering him a team friendly deal. He most likely wont accept it and that's fine. He'll be easy to replace. For the next 2 offseasons, I'm using all my resources on the offense, CBs and pass rushers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's old, injury prone and tackles his own man. Pass

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

He's 27, and has started since day 1 of his rookie year. He's started every game of his first, third and fourth (current) seasons. He was injured for part of his second year, but that's hardly enough to make him injury-prone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vader said:

He makes big plays and he also misses big plays. I think he gets better with time and with better, more veteran secondary help around him.

He's the only guy currently in the secondary whos name I recognize. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And people used to make fun of and nitpick Jamal Adams due to his lack of coverage ability?

Well guess what?

Maye of 2020 is even worse in pass coverage than Adams (ever) was as a JET...

2018 Jamal Adams: 60 targets/33 passes completed against for 405 yards allowed, a completion percentage against of 55.0% and 1 TD pass allowed (9.4 missed tackle %). 

2019 Jamal Adams: 38 targets/21 passes completed against for 187 yards allowed, a completion percentage against of 55.3% and 2 TD passes allowed (5.1 missed tackle %). 

vs. 

2020 Marcus Maye: 28 targets/19 passes completed against for 178 yards allowed, a completion percentage against of 67.9% and 2 TD passses allowed (14.3 missed tackle %). 

Marcus Maye in coverage here in 2020 is even worse than Adams EVER WAS in coverage as a JET. 

The only difference is even when Jamal was giving up passing plays in coverage he was still out there making Pro Bowl teams and All Pro selections due to tackles for loss behind the LOS, sacks, QB hits, QB pressures and game changing defensive TDs etc compared to Marcus Maye who's not only getting destroyed in pass coverage as a FS who can't ballhawk but he's been completely worthless everywhere else. 

Kerry Rhodes was a better FS than this Marcus Maye stiff is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of extension are we talking about?  If no more than 3 years, okay.  Dollars?

I'd say no to 3/$30m total ($10m per year average), for example.  However, at 3/$15m total, sure. That's "hold the fort" player money.  So, maybe somewhere in between?

Do the Jets get a comp pick for him if he leaves?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

What kind of extension are we talking about?  If no more than 3 years, okay.  Dollars?

I'd say no to 3/$30m total ($10m per year average), for example.  However, at 3/$15m total, sure. That's "hold the fort" player money.  So, maybe somewhere in between?

Do the Jets get a comp pick for him if he leaves?

Highly doubtful.  We're going to need to sign more UFA's than we lose on this bottom-of-the-league roster.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Maye is a good player, not a great one.

If you can retain him for good starter money, you do it. If someone else offers him great starter money, you thank him for his service to the team and move on. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

This

If he can be retained for around $8 million a year, then you bring him back.

If he wants anything averaging in the 8 figures annually, then you tell him to kick rocks, sign a cheap vet and look to draft his eventual replacement in April.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Jamal haters and/or Maye fanboys have nothing to say about...

2020 Marcus Maye: 28 targets/19 passes completed against for 178 yards allowed, a completion percentage against of 67.9% and 2 TD's allowed in PASS coverage (AS A FREE SAFETY!)

1962576171_download(1).jpeg.859953da3fa584554f07b6c744753454.jpeg

?

Where's the (#33) outrage about Maye being a FS with zero ballhawking ability whatsoever while not even Jamal (as a JET) was ever THIS BAD in pass coverage?

If only Maye could've netted us Dallas's 1st round pick (we'd have CeeDee Lamb opposite of Denzel Mims right now) and/or too bad no NFL Franchise wanted to offer a Khalil Mack type of haul for the services of Marcus 'sorry ass pass covering non ball hawking zero impactful' Maye...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bitonti said:

27 is ancient for a second contract

 


Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

 

Exactly and especially for someone as a FREE SAFETY with zero ball hawking ability and 2020 pass coverage grade's that's worse than even Jamal Adams EVER posted as a JET!

Drafted two picks later...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 1:42 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Howcome despite Jamal Adams recording tackles for losses behind the LOS, recording sacks, hitting QBs with pressures galore and multiple defensive TDs as an absolute tackling machine, Pro Bowl and All Pro selections etc etc but yet he was still called out by this fan base due to "a lack of INTs" as a freaking STRONG SAFETY?

But yet Marcus Maye is a FREE SAFETY (same ball Hawking position as Ed Reed) and our fan base isn't outraged about having a FREE SAFETY who's got 0 ball hawking ability (whatsoever) and has only recorded a whopping 5 career ints despite being 10 games into his 4th season? 

That is absolutely pathetic. 

If you've only got (throughout 4 years) 2 career QB hits, only 2.5 career sacks, 0 defensive TDs, 0 fumble recoveries and only 2 career QB hits with only 4 career tackled for loss etc AT LEAST INTERCEPT THE FKN BALL with game changing and impactful plays as a FREE SAFETY?

But nope. Marcus Maye has been absolutely useless and he's also awful against the pass (targeted 28 times while allowing 19 completions (and for a FS) an embarrassing 67.9% completion percentage allowed). 

PS: Jamal Adams (in 2018 55% and last year 2019 53%) was much better against the pass than Maye of 2020 (67.9% against) and I'm sorry but for a FREE SAFETY that's absolutely embarrassing!

Sorry to be the one to have to break this to you, but elite strong safeties get interceptions.  Jamal has 2 career INT's, both against backup QB's, one of which was a rookie making his NFL debut.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

We have so many holes to fill - its crazy to me that people would want to move on from Maye. As others have said, hes not a star, but hes an above average player. Yes hes old, but he isn't getting a 5 year extension... sign him to a 3 year deal with an out after 2. You're far more likely to achieve some value on his contract if you don't need to compete against a bunch of other teams... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Columbia Jet Fan said:

We have so many holes to fill - its crazy to me that people would want to move on from Maye. As others have said, hes not a star, but hes an above average player. Yes hes old, but he isn't getting a 5 year extension... sign him to a 3 year deal with an out after 2. You're far more likely to achieve some value on his contract if you don't need to compete against a bunch of other teams... 

Resign Maye.  Sign Logan Ryan and Patrick Peterson

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, More Cowbell said:

This is not an area of concern. If the Jets want to keep him, it shouldn't be that hard to sign him. 

I disagree.  Teams are seeing Maye play well and his price point will be viewed as reasonable.  He will get a bunch of offers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...