Marcus Maye is a building block and the Jets should extend him

jetstream23

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I disagree.  Teams are seeing Maye play well and his price point will be viewed as reasonable.  He will get a bunch of offers

The Jets are supposed to have an advantage in signing their players. We are the only ones that can talk to him outside of the combines. If the Jets want to keep him, they start talking now. 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The Jets are supposed to have an advantage in signing their players. We are the only ones that can talk to him outside of the combines. If the Jets want to keep him, they start talking now. 

That advantage didn’t work out with Robby

If JD is smart he extends Maye now

• Sympathy 1

I want a ball hawking FREE SAFETY who makes an impact; not one with only 6 INTs throughout going on 4 years of play. 

Despite his 1 INT during a meaningless game against Seattle last week Marcus Maye has been awful in pass coverage this year and he makes zero impact of defense whatsoever. 

I wouldn't mind him @ SS but as a ball hawking FS he's absolutely useless. 

He's already turning 28 years old within less than 3 months and he'll be well over 30 by the time his second contract expires; no thnx. 

I'd rather draft a 3rd or 4th round ballhawking FS before spending FA $ on a soon to be 30 year old non-ball hawking FS. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I want a ball hawking FREE SAFETY who makes an impact; not one with only 6 INTs throughout going on 4 years of play. 

Despite his 1 INT during a meaningless game against Seattle last week Marcus Maye has been awful in pass coverage this year and he makes zero impact of defense whatsoever. 

I wouldn't mind him @ SS but as a ball hawking FS he's absolutely useless. 

He's already turning 28 years old within less than 3 months and he'll be well over 30 by the time his second contract expires; no thnx. 

I'd rather draft a 3rd or 4th round ballhawking FS before spending FA $ on a soon to be 30 year old non-ball hawking FS. 

Maye hasn’t been awful in coverage.  He’s actually been pretty good 

The rest of the secondary couldn’t cover Ardarius Stewart

• Upvote 2

On 11/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Howcome despite Jamal Adams recording tackles for losses behind the LOS, recording sacks, hitting QBs with pressures galore and multiple defensive TDs as an absolute tackling machine, Pro Bowl and All Pro selections etc etc but yet he was still called out by this fan base due to "a lack of INTs" as a freaking STRONG SAFETY?

But yet Marcus Maye is a FREE SAFETY (same ball Hawking position as Ed Reed) and our fan base isn't outraged about having a FREE SAFETY who's got 0 ball hawking ability (whatsoever) and has only recorded a whopping 5 career ints despite being 10 games into his 4th season? 

That is absolutely pathetic. 

If you've only got (throughout 4 years) 2 career QB hits, only 2.5 career sacks, 0 defensive TDs, 0 fumble recoveries and only 2 career QB hits with only 4 career tackled for loss etc AT LEAST INTERCEPT THE FKN BALL with game changing and impactful plays as a FREE SAFETY?

But nope. Marcus Maye has been absolutely useless and he's also awful against the pass (targeted 28 times while allowing 19 completions (and for a FS) an embarrassing 67.9% completion percentage allowed). 

PS: Jamal Adams (in 2018 55% and last year 2019 53%) was much better against the pass than Maye of 2020 (67.9% against) and I'm sorry but for a FREE SAFETY that's absolutely embarrassing!

Dude....we get the man-love for Jamal Adams.

Maye has skills. He showed that with the incredible INT he made in the Seattle game.  He is a solid safety.  He might have more ball-hawking skills if the secondary didn't have to try and cover a player for 10 seconds because we can't generate a pass-rush.  Ever notice how some of the best "ball-hawking" safeties always play on teams that can generate a consistent pass rush?  Its almost like it gives the safeties opportunities to make more plays because the opposing QB doesn't have as much time to throw.

We should extend Maye....absolutely!  But the problem will be price.  Safety seems to be one of those positions that you can consistently find decent players at decent prices every year in F/A, and continually draft replacements in the 2-4 th rounds on rookie contracts.  In today's market, there are only 15-odd safeties making $10 million a season or more.  I would put Maye at around $8 million a season.  If he comes into the negotiations looking for $15 million per, I would let him walk. 

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Please don't compare the two. 

Robby Anderson is an electric and impactful WR in comparison to Marcus Maye who's a stiff of a FS with (almost) absolutely zero ball hawking ability and a FS who makes zero impact whatsoever. 

Marcus Maye is the leader of our Secondary but yet the only pass defense we're not worse than is Seattle; Marcuse Maye has to go. 

Just now, Defense Wins Championships said:

Please don't compare the two. 

Robby Anderson is an electric and impactful WR in comparison to Marcus Maye who's a stiff of a FS with (almost) absolutely zero ball hawking ability and a FS who makes zero impact whatsoever. 

Marcus Maye is the leader of our Secondary but yet the only pass defense we're not worse than is Seattle; Marcuse Maye has to go. 

You guys were killing Robby last year saying he was a soft toothpick who only runs one route

history repeating itself again

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Honestly, any player that had the opportunity to jump ship before this season made the smartest career choice possible. There was no way he was staying. Also there was the old college coach thing for him there. I doubt a situation Iike that repeats

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, any player that had the opportunity to jump ship before this season made the smartest career choice possible. There was no way he was staying. Also there was the old college coach thing for him there. I doubt a situation Iike that repeats

JD overestimated his advantage in resigning Robby and underestimated other teams’ interest.  I’m worried he’s going to do the same with Maye and we end up with an even worse secondary in 2021

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Dude....we get the man-love for Jamal Adams.

Maye has skills. He showed that with the incredible INT he made in the Seattle game.  He is a solid safety.  He might have more ball-hawking skills if the secondary didn't have to try and cover a player for 10 seconds because we can't generate a pass-rush.  Ever notice how some of the best "ball-hawking" safeties always play on teams that can generate a consistent pass rush?  Its almost like it gives the safeties opportunities to make more plays because the opposing QB doesn't have as much time to throw.

We should extend Maye....absolutely!  But the problem will be price.  Safety seems to be one of those positions that you can consistently find decent players at decent prices every year in F/A, and continually draft replacements in the 2-4 th rounds on rookie contracts.  In today's market, there are only 15-odd safeties making $10 million a season or more.  I would put Maye at around $8 million a season.  If he comes into the negotiations looking for $15 million per, I would let him walk. 

Why? So we can see him begin to breakdown over night?

He got off to a late NFL start and is 3 months away from turning 28 (before his second NFL contact). 

No thanks. 

And Jamal Adams has nothing to do with my dislike for Marcus Maye;

I'm an FSU fan and was dreaming of Dalvin Cook in green and white only to see Maccagnan take Marcus freaking Maye over Dalvin Cook while I watched Minnesota draft an All-Pro and GAME CHANGING RB only two picks later; I immediately turned off my TV out of disgust. 

I've been waiting for Marcus Maye to prove me wrong. To become an impactful and ball hawking FS. And I'm still waiting. 

I want nothing to do with Maye moving forward of whatsoever (let another team overpay in Free Agency for the soon to be 30 yo while JD looks to splash around Trevor Lawrence on offense)..

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You guys were killing Robby last year saying he was a soft toothpick who only runs one route

You guys?

Wtf are you talking about?

I was one of the biggest Robby Anderson supporters and was damn near BEGGING for us to bring him back long term!

On a secondary with 3 rookies and Maye, I think I'd keep him around.  Dude is a solid player who does far more good than bad back there.  I'm not hung up on INTs as a critical stat for DBs since so much of that has to do with how they're used, but that INT last week on the first drive was electric and should convince anyone that he can catch a ball.  We're not down to our last $10M in cap room.  Don't make yet another hole on the defense when we already have 7 to fill more or less. 

He's probably in the 10-20 range of NFL Safeties which puts him in the $6-9M/year range.  I have no problem with him getting a 4-year $32M deal.  He'll still be young enough to be productive on the tail end of that.

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Robby is having a nice season but I wouldn't say he was a must havd keeper. He only has 2 TD's. A lot of players get yards between the 20's, the great ones score. 

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Why? So we can see him begin to breakdown over night?

He got off to a late NFL start and is 3 months away from turning 28 (before his second NFL contact). 

No thanks. 

And Jamal Adams has nothing to do with my dislike for Marcus Maye;

I'm an FSU fan and was dreaming of Dalvin Cook in green and white only to see Maccagnan take Marcus freaking Maye over Dalvin Cook while I watched Minnesota draft an All-Pro and GAME CHANGING RB only two picks later; I immediately turned off my TV out of disgust. 

I've been waiting for Marcus Maye to prove me wrong. To become an impactful and ball hawking FS. And I'm still waiting. 

I want nothing to do with Maye moving forward of whatsoever (let another team overpay in Free Agency for the soon to be 30 yo while JD looks to splash around Trevor Lawrence on offense)..

Again, I am not suggesting we pay $15 million for the guy.

He is solid.  Its not his fault Mac thought it a brilliant idea to go Safety again after using the #6 pick for a safety when a HOF QB was staring him in the face.  ALL under the bridge.

We will agree to disagree on Maye in part.  But I think he would be worth $8 million a season for 4-5 seasons.  That said, if we walks, I think we can find a decent safety in that range in F/A, and then draft another guy in the 3-4th round.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Robby is having a nice season but I wouldn't say he was a must havd keeper. He only has 2 TD's. A lot of players get yards between the 20's, the great ones score. 

I disagree he's ranked 8th in receptions and 11th in receiving yards with an insane catch rate percentage of 72.8%. 

Trevor Lawrence because of his arm strength (unlike weak armed Teddy) would've turned Robby Anderson into an absolute superstar @ WR. 

Robby Anderson proved himself as a Jet as being one of the fastest and most electric deep threats within the game today and this year with Minnesota he's proved he's also a really good route runner and now developed into an All-around WR weapon...

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

6 INTs before heading into your 5th season (as a FS) is anything other than convincing...

Look beyond INTs.  Maye has 10 PD this season, which is 3rd among all Safeties in the NFL.

He has 2 sacks, while after Adams, the next best Safety in the league has 3.

He is every bit a starter in the NFL.  We have about six of those guys on the entire team.  I'm done watching them leave over money we don't spend anyway.  If he's on board for a reasonable deal, I'm on board, too.  I understand the counter-argument.  It's just that drafting a Safety in the 4th round and hoping he can be 80% of what Maye is in order to save cap money we probably wouldn't spend anyway seems like an odd hill to die on.  Keep Maye and use the picks to try and fill the existing holes (every position but LT, DT and MLB).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I disagree he's ranked 8th in receptions and 11th in receiving yards with an insane catch rate percentage of 72.8%. 

Trevor Lawrence because of his arm strength (unlike weak armed Teddy) would've turned Robby Anderson into an absolute superstar @ WR. 

Robby Anderson proved himself as a Jet as being one of the fastest and most electric deep threats within the game today and this year with Minnesota he's proved he's also a really good route runner and n2ow developed into an All-around WR weapon...

The truth is Anderson was a better weapon for the Jets than the Panthers. He had 3 yards more per reception and in his  best season with Darnold who you hate and think sucks, he had about 950 yards on about 20 less receptions. He was more "Electric" on the Jets. Oh, he also had 7 TD's that year 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The truth is Anderson was a better weapon for the Jets than the Panthers. He had 3 yards more per reception and in his  best season with Darnold who you hate and think sucks, he had about 950 yards on about 20 less receptions. He was more "Electric" on the Jets. Oh, he also had 7 TD's that year 

Robby's career high in receptions as a Jet was 63 (2017), his receiving yards high as a Jet was 941 (2017), his 1st down receptions as a Jet was 38 (2017) and his catch rate percentage high as a Jet was only 55.3 (2017). 

Here in 2020? he's already recorded 83 receptions (career high), 996 receiving yards (career high), 44 1st down receptions (career high) and a catch rate percentage of 76.6% (another career high). 

And still has another 3 games to go!

Robby also has a career high in yards after catch this year as a Panther (464). 

So if you're going to look to "YPC" to make some type of argument; you have no argument @ all. 

And lol why did you mention Sam Darnold to me? Robby's 941 receiving yards and 7 TD receptions season you're referring to was back in 2017 alongside of Josh McCown and Petty  (not, Sam Darnold) ??‍♂️?

• Upvote 1

Best player on the team and a leader, if the price is right, you absolutely bring him back.

You cant continually let talent walk and think you're just going to easily replace them, that's not how it works.  And the teams that do it well, have an eraser at QB, so it doesnt matter.  When you're the least talented team in the entire NFL, keeping the little bit of talent you do have (at the right price) is how build a competitive roster.  Continually letting these players walk and thinking they're easily replaceable is how you end up completely talented deprived.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

i forgot the Ryan Griffin extension

JD chose to extend Ryan Griffin instead of Robby 

the dude is going to have to be Ron Wolf in the draft because his roster management is friggin awful 

• Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, nycdan said:

He is every bit a starter in the NFL.  We have about six of those guys on the entire team.  I'm done watching them leave over money we don't spend anyway.  

and yet, here we are 

as for Maye he's a decent enough safety when Gregg Williams chooses to feature him 

Ashtyn Davis was awesome that one week GW showcased him too

Maye is 27 he's not a building block he's in his prime and they should move on and reload with more Davis types 

On 11/28/2020 at 7:18 AM, mrcoops said:

Maye is a good player, not a great one.

If you can retain him for good starter money, you do it. If someone else offers him great starter money, you thank him for his service to the team and move on. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

just depends what the market is for him,  I honestly don't think its going to be that robust, especially with a lot of teams low on funds.  If his agent isnt a douche and tries to hold douglas over the coals i think he'll be back, and hopefully in a more suited consistent SS role. 

the purge is over. It's time to stop fleecing our roster for bottom tier picks and letting players who can start - walk.

We will need to field an NFL team next year, and if I had my way, we'll be spending the majority of our resources on offense this offseason - meaning we can ill afford to let Maye leave "just 'cause..."

54 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Your point is valid, but the 950 and 7 TDs was with McCown who is 47 years old, but not a chicken arm.