Marcus Maye is a building block and the Jets should extend him

jetstream23

48 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Robby's career high in receptions as a Jet was 63 (2017), his receiving yards high as a Jet was 941 (2017), his 1st down receptions as a Jet was 38 (2017) and his catch rate percentage high as a Jet was only 55.3 (2017). 

Here in 2020? he's already recorded 83 receptions (career high), 996 receiving yards (career high), 44 1st down receptions (career high) and a catch rate percentage of 76.6% (another career high). 

And still has another 3 games to go!

Robby also has a career high in yards after catch this year as a Panther (464). 

So if you're going to look to "YPC" to make some type of argument; you have no argument @ all. 

And lol why did you mention Sam Darnold to me? Robby's 941 receiving yards and 7 TD receptions season you're referring to was back in 2017 alongside of Josh McCown and Petty  (not, Sam Darnold) ??‍♂️?

You know  better than to credit McCown and Petty for those mumbers

Meh, actually I'm giving you too much credit. You don't. 

You want to talk about 2017. He had 7 TD's to the two he has now. He went 11 games without a TD, got one in week 1 and 12 I believe. They go by points in this league. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Please don't compare the two. 

Robby Anderson is an electric and impactful WR in comparison to Marcus Maye who's a stiff of a FS with (almost) absolutely zero ball hawking ability and a FS who makes zero impact whatsoever. 

Marcus Maye is the leader of our Secondary but yet the only pass defense we're not worse than is Seattle; Marcuse Maye has to go. 

Oh yeah, robby is lighting the league on fire with his 2 tds. Watch out!

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

the purge is over. It's time to stop fleecing our roster for bottom tier picks and letting players who can start - walk.

We will need to field an NFL team next year, and if I had my way, we'll be spending the majority of our resources on offense this offseason - meaning we can ill afford to let Maye leave "just 'cause..."

What is the price?  I value him about the same as Poole.  Slightly better player, slightly cheaper position IMO.  How much are you willing to give him?  If he is going to cost $10M give me some Antoine Bethea, Yeremiah Bell, Dawan Landry type cheap.  The Giants are paying Logan Ryan $6.5M.  I don't think Maye is worth more, there isn't even much age difference.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

What is the price?  I value him about the same as Poole.  Slightly better player, slightly cheaper position IMO.  How much are you willing to give him?  If he is going to cost $10M give me some Antoine Bethea, Yeremiah Bell, Dawan Landry type cheap.  The Giants are paying Logan Ryan $6.5M.  I don't think Maye is worth more, there isn't even much age difference.

yea, contract challenges aside. We need to hang on to the precious talented players we have.... and that's under the umbrella of a reasonable contract. He's getting a 3 year deal more than likely, so give him a 3 year 27 mill dollar deal, 18 guaranteed or something

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Robby Anderson has 83 catches for 996 yards with 3 games remaining

Talking about the 2 td is like bringing up Jamal Adams qbr against rating while he's 8th in the league in sacks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

I completely disagree. That team is not winning a lot of games so who cares how many yards he has? Dude needs to score Tds if he is a #1 WR. 

16 minutes ago, Drums said:

I completely disagree. That team is not winning a lot of games so who cares how many yards he has? Dude needs to score Tds if he is a #1 WR. 

This argument might have some more validity if Anderson wasn't scoring TDs when he was here.  Last year the narrative is that he was a "one-trick pony" that could only run 9 routes.  That even though he had a bunch of TDs, he could only run bombs.  Now people are complaining that he is a possession receiver?  #1 WR or not, he is more than worth that contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Drums said:

Julio Jones was the #1 in Atlanta for his entire career, but was never known as a big TD or RedZone guy. Was he not a #1 WR?

Gaining yards without scoring still gets you closer to the EZ....there's plenty of value in that.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This argument might have some more validity if Anderson was scoring TDs when he was here.  Last year the narrative is that he was a "one-trick pony" that could only run 9 routes.  That he could only score TDs on bombs.  Now people are complaining that he is a possession receiver?  #1 WR or not, he is more than worth that contract.

I like Robby but I’d say he is rather equal to Marcus Maye skill wise in their positions imo and I wish we still had both. 

1 minute ago, MindOverMatter said:

Julio Jones was the #1 in Atlanta for his entire career, but was never known as a big TD or RedZone guy. Was he not a #1 WR?

Gaining yards without scoring still gets you closer to the EZ....there's plenty of value in that.

True but they are not the same players

10 minutes ago, Drums said:

True but they are not the same players

Of course. But the point is the same. Anderson is playing on a reasonable contract for the type of player he is.

Jets were in no position to downgrade from Anderson to Perriman. Just another trend of incompetence when it comes to keeping homegrown talent.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Drums said:

I like Robby but I’d say he is rather equal to Marcus Maye skill wise in their positions imo and I wish we still had both. 

Eh. IMO Anderson is a better WR than Maye is a S, but more importantly WR > S.  I'm not sure how we got on this, but they are both guys that we want to have on the team provided the contracts are reasonable.  Deciding a price before FA is how you get guys counting on signing Cousins for $24M/year or thinking that we should never sign Eric Decker.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Robby at 6'1" running a 4.3 was always a rare world class athlete. Most 4.3 guys are short.

Maye is an OK athlete but a more reliable person than robby.

Robby was a chuckle head person off the field who had so much baggage he ran a top 100 time for his size and went undrafted

The Jets found this dude, developed him against all odds, Valued him at 2nd Rd Rfa and let him walk in favor of cap space

Disgraceful

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TMAC said:

Letting your best players walk.  Great strategy for success.

Way overpaying unworthy talent via contract extensions is a route we've gone before with an even worse track record.  Muhammad Wilkerson, Quincy Enunwa, David Harris (the last contract he got here), Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes, etc.

I'm not saying Maye will fall in this category, but you don't just pay players to pay them, nor do you pay a player simply because he's one of the better players on a terrible roster.  This was the argument people made for paying Jamal Adams and I can't imagine anyone now thinks the right move would have been to hand him an $18M+ per year deal.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

It's not just robby and it's not just Jamal

It's every good home-grown player they let walk over the last decade and all the mercenaries they signed to replace

I'd list them all but it might break Max's server

They sucked even when the Jets foolishly extended the likes of Enunwa, Winters, Harris, Fitzpatrick, Holmes, Henry Anderson, Sanchez, etc.

Not to mention extending other Jets homegrown stooges: Qvale, Kerley, and Mo.

35dkez.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 11/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Howcome despite Jamal Adams recording tackles for losses behind the LOS, recording sacks, hitting QBs with pressures galore and multiple defensive TDs as an absolute tackling machine, Pro Bowl and All Pro selections etc etc but yet he was still called out by this fan base due to "a lack of INTs" as a freaking STRONG SAFETY?

But yet Marcus Maye is a FREE SAFETY (same ball Hawking position as Ed Reed) and our fan base isn't outraged about having a FREE SAFETY who's got 0 ball hawking ability (whatsoever) and has only recorded a whopping 5 career ints despite being 10 games into his 4th season? 

That is absolutely pathetic. 

If you've only got (throughout 4 years) 2 career QB hits, only 2.5 career sacks, 0 defensive TDs, 0 fumble recoveries and only 2 career QB hits with only 4 career tackled for loss etc AT LEAST INTERCEPT THE FKN BALL with game changing and impactful plays as a FREE SAFETY?

But nope. Marcus Maye has been absolutely useless and he's also awful against the pass (targeted 28 times while allowing 19 completions (and for a FS) an embarrassing 67.9% completion percentage allowed). 

PS: Jamal Adams (in 2018 55% and last year 2019 53%) was much better against the pass than Maye of 2020 (67.9% against) and I'm sorry but for a FREE SAFETY that's absolutely embarrassing!

Youre trying to paint MM as not good and you sound silly.

Dalvin Cook shouldnt even be mentioned.

Jamal was a cancerous big mouth that was good at getting the the qb and thats about it. In every other aspect he is average to bad.

MM is good and should be retained its just that simple

8 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Jamal was a cancerous big mouth that was good at getting the the qb and thats about it. In every other aspect he is average to bad.

Honestly thought you meant Mike Maccagnan when I started reading this.  It is going to take me some time to recover.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They sucked even when the Jets foolishly extended the likes of Enunwa, Winters, Harris, Fitzpatrick, Holmes, Henry Anderson, Sanchez, etc.

Not to mention extending other Jets homegrown stooges: Qvale, Kerley, and Mo.

10 extensions over a decade feels like a lot by Jets fans standards but it's actually roster neglect

the Jets had players like Robby, Jamal, Jason Myers, Andre Roberts, Demario Davis, Andre Roberts, Beachum, Shell, Sheldon, Leo etc these are very good players they either homegrown drafted or found on the scrap heap but the Jets haven't paid for any stars or even kept the right role players 

that list kind of proves my point they extend losers *Ryan Griffin* and let the glue guys walk and trade the stars for picks.

It's not purely for a lack of stars it's either a lack of judgment or low grade sabotage 

put it another way if you're always trading players for picks you never have to hand out a second contract to any of them 

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

i forgot the Ryan Griffin extension

JD chose to extend Ryan Griffin instead of Robby 

the dude is going to have to be Ron Wolf in the draft because his roster management is friggin awful 

Well it's not like he doesn't have two first round picks and the first pick of the second round.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh. IMO Anderson is a better WR than Maye is a S, but more importantly WR > S.  I'm not sure how we got on this, but they are both guys that we want to have on the team provided the contracts are reasonable.  Deciding a price before FA is how you get guys counting on signing Cousins for $24M/year or thinking that we should never sign Eric Decker.

Just because we failed to resign Robby doesn't mean we should neglect to resign Maye. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

3 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

Of course. But the point is the same. Anderson is playing on a reasonable contract for the type of player he is.

Jets were in no position to downgrade from Anderson to Perriman. Just another trend of incompetence when it comes to keeping homegrown talent.

Jets should have resigned Anderson AND signed Perriman AND drafted Mims.

Now we need to extend Maye AND sign Logan Ryan AND a #1 Cover Corner.  Then let Austin and Hall battle it out for the #2 CB spot

• Upvote 1

I am on record as being heavily against big contract FAs, but JD was overly conservative this past season, and it seems like it is happening again.

We should have extended Robbie mid season. And still signed Perriman.

Now, there are several players that really should be given contracts now if possible:

Maye

Poole

Perriman

Hewiit

Luvu

We have very few people even signed for next year. JD seems to be better than Mac but that is a low bar. 

He really had one key job in the offseason and that was protect Sam and get him weapons. He did OK with the OL but whiffed pretty bad on the weapons part.

Not extending Robby was the classic corporate stooge move.  

Yes, Robby misbehaved and is odd as all get up.  But he actually got his act together and has not caused trouble since the nut in the eye incident.   He should have been extended.

The question with Maye is whether you want to pay $10mm for an older S who has been hurt, when you team still stinks.  Seems like something we do for 1.5 years guaranteed, 3 year contract.  

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Robby at 6'1" running a 4.3 was always a rare world class athlete. Most 4.3 guys are short.

Maye is an OK athlete but a more reliable person than robby.

Robby was a chuckle head person off the field who had so much baggage he ran a top 100 time for his size and went undrafted

The Jets found this dude, developed him against all odds, Valued him at 2nd Rd Rfa and let him walk in favor of cap space

Disgraceful

We all know by now that whatever decision the Jets make it will end up being the wrong one. Has been that way for a decade.

That’s why going full negative as a Jets fan is a winning proposition on Jets forums - criticize everything and much more often than not you’ll be proven correct. 

13 hours ago, SuqMiyDiq said:

Yup.....team grown drafted talent ..... turn to pro bowl potential players ..... and guess what we do next ? Trade or release them..... exactly why we are SOJ

Maye is certainly not a pro bowler but he’s a good player and teams see that.  The Seahawks front office certainly noticed him getting the pick on Wilson while covering Metcalf 

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Jamal may not be as good as he thinks he is but he is a player and does what he does exceptionally well.  His mouth may be annoying to some but he is has not been a cancer in any way.  Im glad we traded him for what we got in return but come on a cancer now?  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HighPitch said:

18 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Honestly thought you meant Mike Maccagnan when I started reading this.  It is going to take me some time to recover.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Jamal may not be as good as he thinks he is but he is a player and does what he does exceptionally well.  His mouth may be annoying to some but he is has not been a cancer in any way.  Im glad we traded him for what we got in return but come on a cancer now?  

Dude, be a little more careful with the quote and the cut and paste. Don't attribute that quote to me.  It was High Pitch.  I actually stood up for that loud mouth a bit, but I guess you quoted my response to him which is above.