Marcus Maye is a building block and the Jets should extend him

jetstream23

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dude, be a little more careful with the quote and the cut and paste. Don't attribute that quote to me.  It was High Pitch.  I actually stood up for that loud mouth a bit, but I guess you quoted my response to him which is above.

My bad, I must have just quoted his post from within yours and it tagged to you.  I'm dense, did it a week ago with someone else, again, sorry

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Hate signing those washed up 27 year olds

Numbers are confusing

27 is very old by 2nd contract standards

i've learned this from the eight thousand screaming Darnold fans reminding us how young he is every week 

Maye was old when he was drafted which means the decline starts now 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i've learned this from the eight thousand screaming Darnold fans reminding us how young he is every week 

Nathan Sheppard will be 30 when he is ready for his second contract...Lol.  

I think Maye should be extended for fair money. 6-8 mil/year. I don’t ever remember watching him in college and seeing a “ball-hawking” FS. I’ve always hated that take on the guy. He may play the position, but he always seemed more of a well-rounded SS. That’s what made the pick even more confounding: drafting two similar players in less important positions early and back to back. Now that Jamal is gone and Davis starts to pick things up (he’s much more of that rangy type safety) Maye should be able to go back to being what he really is. The way he was deployed in the first game this season is exactly the way I saw him in college. Unfortunately there’s just no one behind him, yet, who can really handle the center field role so GW put him back there. At least that’s my take.

the guy has earned an extension and I hope he gets it and stays with the team. He’s a solid contributor. Perfect? Nope. So don’t pay him perfect money. Pretty simple, really. 

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Nathan Sheppard will be 30 when he is ready for his second contract...Lol.  

which is fine but price goes down accordingly based on how much toothpaste is left in the tube 

they can resign Maye but to call him a building block isn't really true. he's playing through his prime as we speak 

• Upvote 1

Just now, bitonti said:

which is fine but price goes down accordingly based on how much toothpaste is left in the tube 

they can resign Maye but to call him a building block isn't really true. he's playing through his prime as we speak 

Agreed.  Maye is worth keeping, he’s a solid player, but I agree he’s not a foundational player that’s a must sign at all costs.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Hes not old by anyones standards.

What is the matter with you.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Hes not old by anyones standards.

What is the matter with you.  

look at the formula for Sparq score 

age is a factor

younger is better

I don't make the rules I just report them 

fwiw Robby was an old prospect too which is partly why he went undrafted 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

look at the formula for Sparq score 

age is a factor

younger is better

I don't make the rules I just report them 

fwiw Robby was an old prospect too which is partly why he went undrafted 

If that Sparq score says 27 is too old for a 4 year extension that everyone knows you can get out of you can take it and toss it aside with the other numbers people dont know how to use.  

You need a formula that says 25 is better than 27?  And where are you finding these good, talented 25 year FA's where exactly?  

Robby went undrafted mostly because he had disciplinary issues at Temple.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

If that Sparq score says 27 is too old for a 4 year extension that everyone knows you can get out of you can take it and toss it aside with the other numbers people dont know how to use.  

how many 31 year old plus dominant safeties are there in the league? 

and most of those guys are converted corners

Maye isn't Patrick Peterson there's no other positions for him to change to 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

You're pulling for meaningless December wins in one thread and sweating the fourth year of a hypothetical Marcus Maye extension in another. This seems mildly contradictory.

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If he sucks or we have a replacement hes gone

How many players get 4 year deals that youre stuck with if you want to replace him?

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

If he sucks or we have a replacement hes gone

How many players get 4 year deals that youre stuck with if you want to replace him?

i like how we haven't even signed Maye and we're trying to dump the contract

this is like the George Fant deal

"yeah he plays like ass but there's almost no money on the back end so we can cut him real easy" 

here's an idea maybe try signing good players who play well and not worry about getting rid of their stanky deals

the Jets should be trying to sign people they WANT to give extension money to because they are playing so well  

not have every players retirement planned out before he puts pen to paper 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i like how we haven't even signed Maye and we're trying to dump the contract

this is like the George Fant deal

"yeah he plays like ass but there's almost no money on the back end so we can cut him real easy" 

here's an idea maybe try signing good players who play well and not worry about getting rid of their stanky deals

the Jets should be trying to sign people they WANT to give extension money to because they are playing so well  

not have every players retirement planned out before he puts pen to paper 

So youre idea of dumping him before the contract makes more sense, how exactly? 

Have you not noticed that 90% of the deals football players signed can be voided before their end date?  

If that and me saying if he sucks at some point or is replaced means I'm looking to dump him a couple of seasons after you, what's your point exactly?

I cant believe anyone would think jamal was anything but a cancer. 

The guy couldnt shut his mouth and talked trash on twitter and even called people out.

hes cringeworthy. He would be very annoying to have to play with. MM even alluded to a better environment when he was sent packing

wayne chrebet never behaved liked that. Sam doesnt behave like that. I canlist tons of guys that are men amongst men, shut their mouths and play. Jamal? Give me a break

On 11/27/2020 at 9:43 PM, Maxman said:

I would sign Maybe because:

1. He is a good player

2. He is a very solid citizen

3. You have to bring some of the existing players back.

Someone has to know where the local restaurants are next year when the players have camp and mini camp in person.

Maye has been the most consistently good player on this defense for about 3 years IMO.  He's exactly the kind of guy you reward with a decent contract and commit to for 5 years.  There will be a lot of turnover (again) on this defense and Maye should remain part of the core.  He's leading by example and we've got a lot of young pups back there that need someone to look up to (Hall, Austin, Maulet, Davis, etc. all have less than 3 years experience in the NFL).

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 11:54 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

And people used to make fun of and nitpick Jamal Adams due to his lack of coverage ability?

Well guess what?

Maye of 2020 is even worse in pass coverage than Adams (ever) was as a JET...

2018 Jamal Adams: 60 targets/33 passes completed against for 405 yards allowed, a completion percentage against of 55.0% and 1 TD pass allowed (9.4 missed tackle %). 

2019 Jamal Adams: 38 targets/21 passes completed against for 187 yards allowed, a completion percentage against of 55.3% and 2 TD passes allowed (5.1 missed tackle %). 

vs. 

2020 Marcus Maye: 28 targets/19 passes completed against for 178 yards allowed, a completion percentage against of 67.9% and 2 TD passses allowed (14.3 missed tackle %). 

Marcus Maye in coverage here in 2020 is even worse than Adams EVER WAS in coverage as a JET. 

The only difference is even when Jamal was giving up passing plays in coverage he was still out there making Pro Bowl teams and All Pro selections due to tackles for loss behind the LOS, sacks, QB hits, QB pressures and game changing defensive TDs etc compared to Marcus Maye who's not only getting destroyed in pass coverage as a FS who can't ballhawk but he's been completely worthless everywhere else. 

Kerry Rhodes was a better FS than this Marcus Maye stiff is. 

Good point for 8 million more per and 2 less 1's we could have Jamal suck slightly less than Maye in pass coverage.   He's not breaking the bank, he's not a cancer in the locker room, he's not an attention whore and he's on the roster.   Other than that good comp.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:03 PM, jetstream23 said:

Overshadowed by the Mouth of the Defense ever since he was drafted just one round after Adams, Marcus Maye has (somewhat quietly) become a consistent presence on the D and someone the Jets should absolutely build around.  I think we've taken this guy for granted a bit around here.  He's well above average and has sported a high PFF grade each of the last 3 seasons.  If I'm Joe Douglas I work to extend Maye and I hope that Ashtyn Davis continues to develop knowing that we have him for at least three more seasons on a low-cost 3rd round rookie deal.  Extending Maye would largely solidify the Safety position for years to come (again, along with Davis) and let the Jets focus on getting a few key pieces needed to make the defense  a Top 10-15 group (a bonafide Edge rusher and a lockdown CB).

I think we talk about Maye so little around here simply because he just comes out and does his job at a very high level every week without drawing a lot of attention to himself.  I'd like to see a few more big plays in the passing game out of him (ex. more INTs) but he's been very effective.  And as I said above, his consistency is what impresses me the most.

PFF Grades - Marcus Maye

2020 - 79.4

2019 - 74.5

2018 - 80.0

1976411477_ScreenShot2020-11-27at3_44_23PM.thumb.png.04b5a083fab48040a01c267d0455922c.png

[*EDIT:  I just noticed the date of the original post.  That was then.]  

Marcus Maye is about average.  Just another safety.  His coverage is not very good either.  We don't need to pay him plus I didn't like his attitude shown on twitter one bit when Darnold was traded.  He is one of the reasons for the day-3 DB frenzy.  Don't get your hopes up of his staying. I doubt it, nor do I think Douglas should keep him.  Douglas seems to be a value guy and there isn't much value of paying him alot over a long span of time.  He's not going to get any better than he is now.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2020 at 12:25 AM, shuler82 said:

We all know by now that whatever decision the Jets make it will end up being the wrong one. Has been that way for a decade.

That’s why going full negative as a Jets fan is a winning proposition on Jets forums - criticize everything and much more often than not you’ll be proven correct. 

Oh right because no one can have negative feelings about the Jets’ prospects without it just being some formula to rake in all that money for being right on a messageboard.