Bucky Brooks is a Steely Eyed Missile Man

nycdan

Really good article by Brooks covering four topics: https://www.nfl.com/news/bruce-arians-is-right-about-tom-brady-packers-feel-like-pretenders

Give him the click to read it all, but here's the highlights of each:

1) Arians calls out Brady

I hope Bruce Arians and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers kept their receipts on the Tom Brady purchase, seeing how the head coach appears to have a bit of buyer's remorse. Arians' critical comments on his offense's recent struggles reveal a lot about how he views his 43-year-old quarterback's play.

"We've got the guys open. We've just missed 'em," Arians told reporters earlier this week. "Other than the deep ball, I think he's getting confused a few times with coverage that might be causing some inaccurate balls, but I don't see it at all in practice. We're not missing the deep ball in practice, that's for sure, so it's just a matter of, on Sundays, hitting 'em."

Those comments might make the football world uncomfortable, since we rarely hear coaches openly criticize franchise quarterbacks, but Arians' remarks are a continuation of the spicy critiques that we've heard from him all season. He is unapologetic about assigning blame to the quarterback when the offense falters, consistently calling out Brady for his mistakes.

2) Green Bay still has something to prove

I know Green Bay can't control its schedule or how opponents perform in their other games, but it's impossible to ignore the abysmal record of the Packers' vanquished foes. Green Bay has compiled seven wins against teams with a combined 28-44 record. In fact, the 2020 Packers have yet to beat a single squad that entered the game with a winning record. Now, good teams are supposed to whip inferior opponents, so Green Bay's taking care of business in this sense. But the organization's largely disappointing play against contenders is troubling.

3) Saints draft class of 2017 is better than Jets last decade of drafting until this year (okay, I embellished that a little)

The Saints swept 2017 Rookie of the Year honors, with RB Alvin Kamara earning the nod on offense and CB Marshon Lattimore on defense. Kamara has continued to establish himself as the ultimate offensive weapon, having just become the first player in NFL history with 500-plus rushing yards and 500-plus receiving yards in each of his first four seasons. The electric back's well on his way to a fourth straight Pro Bowl bid, too. Meanwhile, Lattimore's earned two Pro Bowl nods and is widely viewed as one of the top young cover corners in the game. These two players would comprise a stellar draft haul on their own, but New Orleans' 2017 class goes much deeper.

Ryan Ramczyk has become one of the very best right tackles in football, having earned first-team All-Pro status in 2019 and second-team honors in '18. Safety Marcus Williams has tallied 13 interceptions and 28 pass breakups in 56 career games. Middle linebacker Alex Anzalone is a heat-seeking missile with 114 tackles in 32 career games. And then there's defensive end Trey Hendrickson, who's enjoying a true breakout season with an NFL-high 9.5 sacks.

4) Rams defense is what makes them legit contenders this year

While Sean McVay's wizardry and the team's electric offense have fueled title hopes in previous seasons, it's the Rams' emerging defense that gives this group a legitimate chance to hoist the Lombardi Trophy in February. 

Since Week 4, the Rams rank second in the NFL in points per game (17.3, just behind Pittsburgh's 16.6 mark), while leading the league in total defense (257.3 ypg), pass defense (178.0 ypg) and yards per play (4.2). Those numbers certainly jump off the stat sheet, and highly impressive performances from the unit's stars should further drive title talk. Defensive tackle Aaron Donald and cornerback Jalen Ramsey are playing like five-star talents worth every bit of the quarterback money they're earning as the best players at their respective positions.

Donald is a one-man wrecking crew on the front line. The two-time Defensive Player of the Year and five-time first-team All-Pro is a destructive force with a non-stop motor and a combination of strength, power and fitness that makes him nearly impossible to block. Staley has accentuated Donald's playmaking skills by moving him around to exploit favorable matchups. In addition, he has featured some movement schemes at the point of attack to take advantage of Donald's exceptional first-step quickness and burst. Opponents have countered with double- and triple-teams, but that hasn't stopped Donald from getting to the quarterback. With nine sacks, he's just a half-sack off the NFL lead. And with all of the attention that No. 99 commands, Donald's teammates reap the benefits. In his first season with the Rams, Leonard Floyd's enjoying a career year with seven sacks.

All topics worthy of discussion but the two I find most interesting are the Saints draft class and the Rams defense.

Regarding the Saints, it was absolutely a brilliant draft class, perhaps the best since 1974.  But he didn't mention the crippling impact it is about to have on their draft cap.  I would say that sustained good drafting over several years is better than a single monster draft, and this is a point that will be worth considering over the next few years for the Jets hopefully.  Also, some of these guys might spring free in the next year or two.  They can keep Kamara, but who wouldn't want a shot at Lattimore, Ramczyk or any of the others.

Regarding the Rams, I find it interesting because while everyone is gaga over boosting the offense, and it's not wrong to think that, the Rams are having success going in the opposite direction.  They have a good offense, but not dominant. But they invested heavily in two of the best defensive players in the league, particularly trading to bring in Ramsey, and it is paying dividends for them.  Also I look at what Donald's success does for Floyd and I wonder what bonus effect a true edge rusher would have on Quinnen.

Hey....a man can dream... 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The Saints are interesting. If they can replace Brees in the next year or so, with a guy they don’t have to pay for 4 years, then they might have a chance to retain some of the talent. 

Im not sold on Taysom Hill as the heir, but if that works out... they should be okay. Him as QB = less likely to keep Michael Thomas. I can see them trading him, and building around ground game. 

It would be a good spot for Sam. If he could sign a backup deal, with kickers for if he takes cover as starter... I think Payton could put him in a good position. 

Another guy they could target us Trubisky. Same scenario, give these kids a real coach and take the “save the franchise” pressure off. 

24 minutes ago, nycdan said:

All topics worthy of discussion but the two I find most interesting are the Saints draft class and the Rams defense.

Regarding the Saints, it was absolutely a brilliant draft class, perhaps the best since 1974.  But he didn't mention the crippling impact it is about to have on their draft cap.  I would say that sustained good drafting over several years is better than a single monster draft, and this is a point that will be worth considering over the next few years for the Jets hopefully.  Also, some of these guys might spring free in the next year or two.  They can keep Kamara, but who wouldn't want a shot at Lattimore, Ramczyk or any of the others.

Regarding the Rams, I find it interesting because while everyone is gaga over boosting the offense, and it's not wrong to think that, the Rams are having success going in the opposite direction.  They have a good offense, but not dominant. But they invested heavily in two of the best defensive players in the league, particularly trading to bring in Ramsey, and it is paying dividends for them.  Also I look at what Donald's success does for Floyd and I wonder what bonus effect a true edge rusher would have on Quinnen.

Hey....a man can dream... 

If they hadn’t been kicking the can down the road with their cap, they would have been able to keep most of that draft class. They tried to capitalize on Brees’ final couple seasons, which was the right thing to do.   I’m sure they envisioned this day was coming and fully expect to have to gut this roster and have a season or two in rebuild mode.  They’re going to need to absorb a lot of dead cap space next year in order to get fiscally healthy again.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2020 at 8:46 PM, TheMo said:

Wtf where @RobR at? Figure this would be akin to waving bacon in the general direction of @The Crusher

Adams over (Premier position) Lattimore. That premier position thing is REAL regarding the 1st round. Luckily Joey D capitized on the wrong pick & grabbed himself two #1s & a #3. Still hard to believe! 

• Upvote 2

The rea reason the ny jets re always flush with cap money every year is not that they shrewdly go for short term deals on FAs that they sign it is that our drafts are so putridly horrid we never have to worry about signing our own players.

Glad to see a media guy take Bellichick to task for his terrible drafting but of course it is after the fact.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Adams over (Premier position) Lattimore. That premier position thing is REAL regarding the 1st round. Luckily Joey D capitized on the wrong pick & grabbed himself two #1s & a #3. Still hard to believe! 

I’m curious as to how I got quoted here lol. It wasn’t even from this thread ?. Nonetheless I agree with your sentiment haha