Anyone here cancel cable?

21 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What are the best options to get "a la carte" TV that includes all sports channels?  The Mets, Jets, and NY Rangers are my teams.  

I have Verizon 300mb internet, Hulu and the premiums a la cart as I needed them. Recommend getting google nest mesh wifi and as many repeaters as needed. Even if no repeaters, their main modem is beyond superior to whatever your ISP gives you. I have 13 devices on network at any given time covering 3k square feet across three floors and have not missed a beat. I get Jets, all sports,etc. cut my cable Bill in half. 

favorite box to use is Apple but chrome cast is a very close second and a quarter of the price. Also a room of devices fall nicely into Google home. 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I have YoutubeTV but I live in New England and haven’t figured out how to get Jets games streaming. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm also in NE. I also have YouTube TV on my Roku box. Depending on where you are you might be able to purchase just the NFL Sunday ticket without buying directv? You can stream all the games through your Roku. I ultimately paid for NFL game pass. $99 for the season. I can't watch the game live, but I can watch every game on demand. I also saw this morning that CBS on Pluto TV is advertising Jets/Dolphins today. I doubt you can get it there, but I'm going to try assuming it isn't on YouTube TV.

21 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Amazon fire tv or fire stick.  You can also stream games from crack streams or nflbite on any web browser. Haven’t paid a cable bill in 2 years.

The problem is that if you are a huge Rangers Fan you can only get those games on cable (MSG) PERIOD. I pirate everything and pay for nothing except for what I absolutely have to, but it's why a friend of mine won't let go of Spectrum even though they're a tremendous ripoff. As far as I know, even with torrents there's no way to get Ranger games that I am aware of (although the crackstream thing is ringing a vague bell . . .?).

I got rid of Spectrum last February because they were killing me, and after I really analyzed what I was actually watching, it made it even less worth it. I got Hulu Live for $54.99 a mo taxes included (I went to Firestick, and I like their DVR option), but come December, they are rolling everybody for a $10 a month increase. They can kiss my ass. I'm dropping live TV and paying $5.99 a month, thanks, until I decide if I want to switch to Peacock.

I'm all for making money hand-over-fist but what they did is egregious. There were some increases on Netflix and I think also YouTube TV, but instead of leaving their rates steady and gaining a boatload of new subscribers from people who jumped ship from the other providers, they decided to ream their current customers in the aftermath of a pandemic, where people relied on TV for their sanity, and were having trouble affording it as it was because they were out of work. Hulu: Greedy and Unashamed.

What they're claiming is that it's all about Disney+. And look how great Disney+ is! First of all, I couldn't care less about Disney+ (as well as a bunch of other subscribers); but what really happened was, they gained a ton of new subscribers because of that channel, and seeing how so many OTHER people wanted it and like it, let's stick everybody else who doesn't. What a garbage move all around.

I can see if you want to fly your greed under the radar just a little bit and increase Hulu Live by a couple of bucks, but $10 a month?! People are struggling to feed their kids. I know TV  is a privilege and not a right, but I called up civilly irate (an oxymoron, I know) and said I know you're not Mr. Hulu and you only work here, but they've gotta be KIDDING me with this, SEE YA. 

The problem is, most people will pay WHATEVER no matter WHAT companies tell them to pay to keep their toys in the end, which is precisely what they're banking on. I get it; but if enough people told them to fck right off, you'd see how fast that price stays the same, at least for a reasonable amount of time. It's such a bi tch move.

Anyway, Ivrepeat, Hulu Live is going up $10 full dollars a month (12/18) to $64.99, and I'm downgrading to basic for $5.99, because I just flat-out refuse. How does the little birdy go? CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!

Good luck (no snark).

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Get ATT's DIRECTV, and get a swearheart deal for the first 12 months and use the prepaid visa (I got 3 cards $125, $100, and $25 < last one was for signing up online.) income for something you need to buy, and use that money you saved towards breaking the contract at the end of the 12th month period. Usually $20 per month for the remainder 12 months, which is $240  to break contract. Wait 30 days using Sling or something else that can get you by for 30 days and rejoin DIRECTV for another sweetheart deal as a "new" customer. 

Only problem with that is you have to do a new credit check each time. It's a hard pull, and AT&T will eventually start denying you. Plus, with breaking the contract, you're really paying between 90-110/month during that 12 months anyways. 

Source: I worked at AT&T up until literally yesterday. Anyone have any questions, feel free to reach out. Two best deals going on right now are for the 12 Mini, and the S20 FE. $700 off (free) if you have an unlimited plan, and trade in your paid-off phone if it's an iPhone 8 or newer, or S9 or newer with no cracks (scratches are fine). 

Asterisk there is that it takes 1-3 billing cycles for the promo to kick in, and canceling your line before 90 days invalidates the promo (plus, your still have to pay $49 in sales tax). 

But seriously, check out the S20 FE. **** the 12 Mini. FE has a telephoto (zoom) lens, a 120 Hz display, a great battery, it's durable, offers more customization, more storage space, etc. 

22 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Amazon fire tv or fire stick.  You can also stream games from crack streams or nflbite on any web browser. Haven’t paid a cable bill in 2 years.

Dropped Cable a few years ago.  Switched to Gig internet speed, Firestick and Nvidia shield.  plenty of Apps to watch TV shows and movies.  I use sports24.club to watch sports recently added an IPTV service. they are hit or miss.  so I will refrain from promoting it till I use it for a while 

57 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Only problem with that is you have to do a new credit check each time. It's a hard pull, and AT&T will eventually start denying you. Plus, with breaking the contract, you're really paying between 90-110/month during that 12 months anyways. 

Source: I worked at AT&T up until literally yesterday. Anyone have any questions, feel free to reach out. Two best deals going on right now are for the 12 Mini, and the S20 FE. $700 off (free) if you have an unlimited plan, and trade in your paid-off phone if it's an iPhone 8 or newer, or S9 or newer with no cracks (scratches are fine). 

Asterisk there is that it takes 1-3 billing cycles for the promo to kick in, and canceling your line before 90 days invalidates the promo (plus, your still have to pay $49 in sales tax). 

But seriously, check out the S20 FE. **** the 12 Mini. FE has a telephoto (zoom) lens, a 120 Hz display, a great battery, it's durable, offers more customization, more storage space, etc. 

Ugh. I've heard a lot of shady things about AT&T, which is probably partly why you left, haha. Doing a hard pull on your credit history really affects your credit score, which IMO, is just a way for AT&T to sell your information to third-party marketers. Pretty distasteful, especially since they have access to what they pulled the last time, which probably wasn't all that long ago; but they justify that by saying well, you could have declared bankruptcy yesterday! Yeah, based on WHAT.

Credit scoring is so screwed up. I know a lot of people say that they have good credit, but I actually really do. It's borderline sterling, and I worked really hard to accomplish that in the first place. I got into a huge fight with Citibank a few.months ago because I hadn't used that card in a little under two years and they decided to close it for inactivity without notifying me until AFTER they closed it (which they can legally do; but it's their way of sticking it to you for not racking up purchases and paying exorbitant interest on their sh itty card). My credit score dropped 40 points because of it. I was livid. In what world do you get punished for having great credit and not compounding your debt into an untenable situation that you could never pay off in ten lifetimes? I opened that card years back to pay for my Jets STs interest-free one year, and then only used it intermittently because after the promo period the interest rate was terrible.

My FICO Score then also dropped another 40 points this other time yafter I paid off my car and after we zeroed out our HELOC. I called all three credit agencies to find out how this is even possible, and the "reasoning" is, you don't have any ginormous debt and you pay your bills on time, s-o-o-o . . . we don't have a measuring stick to assess your CURRENT current credit-worthiness. "LOOK AT MY HISTORY THAT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU THAT YOU'RE ALWAYS DOING SOFT HITS ON." Nobody could actually justify this line of thinking, but there you have it.

It's infuriating, because there are some crap people who game the credit card system to buy a bunch of crap things and then declare bankruptcy to get it for "free" because they don't care about the financial repercussions. It isn't free, yo. Honest people who have nothing to do with irresponsible people who PURPOSELY run up debt are the ones who get punished for that in one way or another: you and me. It's bulls hit.

Anyway, obviously not about cable, but your post took me on an unpleasant trip down Memory Lane. Bastids. Hard pulls, that's brutal.

24 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Ugh. I've heard a lot of shady things about AT&T, which is probably partly why you left, haha. Doing a hard pull on your credit history really affects your credit score, which IMO, is just a way for AT&T to sell your information to third-party marketers. Pretty distasteful, especially since they have access to what they pulled the last time, which probably wasn't all that long ago; but they justify that by saying well, you could have declared bankruptcy yesterday! Yeah, based on WHAT.

Credit scoring is so screwed up. I know a lot of people say that they have good credit, but I actually really do. It's borderline sterling, and I worked really hard to accomplish that in the first place. I got into a huge fight with Citibank a few.months ago because I hadn't used that card in a little under two years and they decided to close it for inactivity without notifying me until AFTER they closed it (which they can legally do; but it's their way of sticking it to you for not racking up purchases and paying exorbitant interest on their sh itty card). My credit score dropped 40 points because of it. I was livid. In what world do you get punished for having great credit and not compounding your debt into an untenable situation that you could never pay off in ten lifetimes? I opened that card years back to pay for my Jets STs interest-free one year, and then only used it intermittently because after the promo period the interest rate was terrible.

My FICO Score then also dropped another 40 points this other time yafter I paid off my car and after we zeroed out our HELOC. I called all three credit agencies to find out how this is even possible, and the "reasoning" is, you don't have any ginormous debt and you pay your bills on time, s-o-o-o . . . we don't have a measuring stick to assess your CURRENT current credit-worthiness. "LOOK AT MY HISTORY THAT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU THAT YOU'RE ALWAYS DOING SOFT HITS ON." Nobody could actually justify this line of thinking, but there you have it.

It's infuriating, because there are some crap people who game the credit card system to buy a bunch of crap things and then declare bankruptcy to get it for "free" because they don't care about the financial repercussions. It isn't free, yo. Honest people who have nothing to do with irresponsible people who PURPOSELY run up debt are the ones who get punished for that in one way or another: you and me. It's bulls hit.

Anyway, obviously not about cable, but your post took me on an unpleasant trip down Memory Lane. Bastids. Hard pulls, that's brutal.

To be fair, we didn't actually know either until a few customers started pointing it out. We were always told by upper-level management that it was a soft pull, but it's not. So always be prepared for a hard pull any time you add a new service, add a new line, or create a new account (even if just transferring yourself off of someone else's account). All come with hard pulls. And always port your number if you want to avoid a usually-hefty down payment. You can always change it later (but it must remain a number within your "market."

Anyways, forget the doom and gloom. Here's something happy:

6 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

To be fair, we didn't actually know either until a few customers started pointing it out. We were always told by upper-level management that it was a soft pull, but it's not. So always be prepared for a hard pull any time you add a new service, add a new line, or create a new account (even if just transferring yourself off of someone else's account). All come with hard pulls. And always port your number if you want to avoid a usually-hefty down payment. You can always change it later (but it must remain a number within your "market."

Anyways, forget the doom and gloom. Here's something happy:

People should also be very aware when they get insurance quotes (home, life, auto). They almost ALWAYS soft pull and sometimes hard pull. Of course that's a necessary evil to see if you can pay your insurance bills ONCE YOU'RE "APPROVED", but they have no business doing that if you're only getting a quote . . . but they do. Always ask, they are legally bound to tell you.

3 hours ago, PCP63 said:

I switched the names on the account last time with my girlfriend, and she too worked for AT&T. 

15 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

You use an app or android box? What’s the name? I use Mag 424 box with Cobra subscription. 

and I have same Cam print for Tenet. Been waiting for it. Unhinges, Antebellum and Spell were good movies. 

Nvidia Shield is the best. Firestick is ok but not good enough.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:41 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

What are the best options to get "a la carte" TV that includes all sports channels?  The Mets, Jets, and NY Rangers are my teams.  

It seems that there aren't a lot of options for Rangers games outside of cable but you could always buy NHL.TV. It costs $110 per season to get games for just the Rangers. If you want the whole league it goes up to $140.

3 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Meh. For what little you get, it's extremely overpriced. 

Depends how much you value your dvr. Back before Covid was a real treat on business trips. And at this point it's more expensive but they have most channels. I swear by the thing. 

2 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I really like YouTube TV by the end of our cable TV contracts we were paying over $200 a month and now we're paying 1/3rd of that amount and it's just as good and there STILL ain't nuthin' on LOL

But you can just watch your Jets games again!

You can say you’re cutting cable but you still need an internet service provider.  Internet here via Concast will cost at least $50 per month and some “free” stations won’t give you their service without having a basic tv package.  It can be cheaper without the cable content, it’s just not free.

On 11/28/2020 at 12:21 PM, Greenbloodblitz said:

I have the same question as I'm in the middle of moving. Unfortunately everybody has such a different set up, the options are endless. I don't even know where to start LOL

Same here. I am hoping to move soon.  But just lost my job and paying $140 for internet and tv. need to scale down somehow so I will look into different options.  Kind of overwhelmed with all the options and a bit confusing to be honest.  Don't know which way to turn so would appreciate input. 

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Meh. For what little you get, it's extremely overpriced. 

I get NFL Network, Tennis Channel, all major networks and up to 5 accounts that I can access on my phone, tablet or TV. Also works with Alexa, so it's voice activated now that I hooked it up to my receiver. It started out at $50 a month - now it's $65. Still decent. My wife, both kids and myself have separate accounts. I'm in CT, so I had my son set up the main account at his college in New York so I get all the local New York stations, including CBS 2 for the Jets games.

On 11/29/2020 at 6:24 PM, Wonderboy said:

Same here. I am hoping to move soon.  But just lost my job and paying $140 for internet and tv. need to scale down somehow so I will look into different options.  Kind of overwhelmed with all the options and a bit confusing to be honest.  Don't know which way to turn so would appreciate input. 

Great quote from Colin Cowherd. He said when you have children, the days get longer but the years fly by. 100% truth.

I thought I was the innovator of black socks and sandals. I thought it would keep that chicks away from me cuz I already had 4 kids. Then it became a style. Just my luck!

Yeah so anyway, there's been so much change while raising kids for upwards of the two past decades. One can fall out of the loop pretty quick.

• Upvote 1