College game day Nov. 28th

Beerfish

1 hour ago, TheMo said:

Have not been overly impressed. Also that was a BS targeting call. He’s a runner and the guy never launched in any way. 

Before you try to burn down my house DWC I think Lawrence is the best prospect in this draft. Just not seeing the generational thing yet, which is where I think @JiF is at as well. 

Well the 2 QB's that many think are the Goats were 3rd and 6th rd picks. In other news Johnny U was a 8th rd pick cut by Pitt and picked up by the Colts.. The word generational is over used by too many people..

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I was all for Lawrence but DWC is single handedly changing my mind.

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to get this pumped up over Sam, you can keep him, because I don't want him; and he doesn't ever get me excited like this. 

I was so excited for this kid's return I pre-gamed like it were a Jets game with chicken, burgers and hotdogs on the grill while my wife made Mac and Cheese and my daughter baked the cookies and brownies ??‍♂️? I'm sorry. 

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I was all for Lawrence but DWC is single handedly changing my mind.

this getting hyped for every positive thing...   smh

people did this ABOUT SAM PRACTICING clainig he had a HOF Floor....     

am not even making a commentary on the player, really, just the hype....

50 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not much of a game either.   

This is the probelm with college football right now.  It is the era of the Superteam.  Clemson, Bama, to a lesser extent Ohio State.  Every once in a while another team crashes the party.  LSU last year, maybe ND this year.  Most weeks, these teams are not challenged.  Used to be Auburn-Alabama was one of the marquee games of the college season.  Now, it just another mismatch.   Bama beat a 5th ranked A&M by 28.  Beat 3rd ranked Dawgs by 17.  Will probably be similar when they go against the Gators in the SEC Championship.

Clemson has the one loss to ND without Lawrence.  Will be some intrigue for the rematch.  But that is the only game that matters for Clemson right now.  Lawrnece looks good tonight, but he has clean pcokets, open receivers.  The defenses cannot make it tough on TL. 

I want to see good games.  Not superteams beating the snot out of overmatched opponents in glorified exhibitions.

End of rant.

UGA's right there.  

Hell, I'd take UGA's roster over Clemson and maybe OSU's.  You just lacked the top quarterback.  Next year I'm picking UGA to win the SEC if Daniels stays healthy.  

I need Book to keep channeling his inner Jeff Garcia, but the lack of top end speed at the wideout position will probably catch up to us.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He hasn't had a clean pocket he's been sacked multiple times and hurried/pressured even more times (but still made great throws and timely decisions). 

And when you get your hands on a Watson/Lawrence type of elite QB prospect? This is what happens. 

But remember it hasn't always been like this for Clemson. Trust me, I'm an FSU and ACC fan; I know Clemson football.

They aren't a historically legendary  Football Program (Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Miami, Nebraska or even FSU over the years) ala they've only won 3 National Championships All-Time (been around since the late 1800's) one came in early 80's (80-81 season) and the other two only came under Watson/Lawrence. 

However elite QBs like Watson/Lawrence make them appear as a legendary Football Program (but they never were). 

I said the problem with college football right now is it has become the era of the Superteam.  I don't care what Clemson did in the 1800s,.  I watched them win their first title in 1981.  I don't need the history lesson.  Since the start of the 2015 season, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Clemson and Bama have claimed 3 of the 4 playoff spots every year.  There is no parity in college football today.

I get that you love Lawrence.  I like him as a prosepct.  But he did not make the Clemson program special, Dabo Swinney did.  For all but one or two games a season, the team around TL is so much more talented than his opponents that it makes it easy on him.  They will almost certainly be a National Title contender again next year after he is gone.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

UGA's right there.  

Hell, I'd take UGA's roster over Clemson and maybe OSU's.  You just lacked the top quarterback.  Next year I'm picking UGA to win the SEC if Daniels stays healthy.  

I need Book to keep channeling his inner Jeff Garcia, but the lack of top end speed at the wideout position will probably catch up to us.  

I'd like to add the only reason UGA isn't with those other three teams in the playoffs every year is because they're in a conference with the best one.  Put UGA in the Big 12 and they're in the playoffs just as much.  

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

UGA's right there.  

Our recruiting has been right there with Bama/Clemson and others, but we still seem to try to win with defense in this era where you need to score to beat the top teams.  Hope you are right about next year.  We also have a 5 star QB cominig in that I am excitred about, Brock Vandagriff.  As long as we don't run him off like we did with Fields.

As to you guys, even against a Clemson team without TL, you still needed to be able to put up 30 plus in regulation to force the OT.  I am not an ND fan, but I will be rooting for the Irish against Clemson in ACC Champtionship just to sharke things up a bit.  Also want to see what TL does against a better defense.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I said the problem with college football right now is it has become the era of the Superteam.  I don't care what Clemson did in the 1800s,.  I watched them win their first title in 1981.  I don't need the history lesson.  Since the start of the 2015 season, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Clemson and Bama have claimed 3 of the 4 playoff spots every year.  There is no parity in college football today.

I get that you love Lawrence.  I like him as a prosepct.  But he did not make the Clemson program special, Dabo Swinney did.  For all but one or two games a season, the team around TL is so much more talented than his opponents that it makes it easy on him.  They will almost certainly be a National Title contender again next year after he is gone.

The ACC been a conference since dating back to 1953 (67 years) and Trevor Lawrence on his next TD becomes only the 5th player in ACC history to ever put up 100+ TDs (Passing/Rushing combined). 

He's Generational and without TL Dabo doesn't go 36-1 throughout Trevor's previous 37 games...

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'd like to add the only reason UGA isn't with those other three teams in the playoffs every year is because their in a conference with the best one.  Put UGA in the Big 12 and they're in the playoffs just as much.  

I don't know.  We try to win games the way teams did in the 70s and 80s.  Great defense and running game.  Which is good enough to beat most teams, but not good enough to compete with high powered offenses.  2017 was a bit of an anomaly since Chubb and MIchel ran wild and we were able to score 40+ based on a great running game.  But our offense the last three years has just not been good enouogh to compete with the elite teams.

Until we figure out to score with the big guys, we are going to be stuck in that second tier of pretenders.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'd like to add the only reason UGA isn't with those other three teams in the playoffs every year is because they're in a conference with the best one.  Put UGA in the Big 12 and they're in the playoffs just as much.  

It's because they haven't been able to land that 5 star QB recruit over the years but as @Lith mentioned when they do, watch out for them over the next 2-4 years. 

I wish the State of Florida didn't have 3 powerhouses historically in FSU/Miami/Gators and even UCF steals talent but instead just one major powerhouse state of Florida Program; I believe we'd destroy Alabama year in and year out because I feel Florida High School Football is 2nd to none. 

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

The ACC been a conference since dating back to 1953 (67 years) and Trevor Lawrence on his next TD becomes only the 5th player in ACC history to ever put up 100+ TDs (Passing/Rushing combined). 

He's Generational and without TL Dabo doesn't go 36-1 throughout Trevor's previous 37 games...

i think Dabo/Clemson going 10-4, and 11-2 twice w/ Tajh Boyd says alot

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It's because they haven't been able to land that 5 star QB recruit over the years but as @Lith mentioned when they do, watch out for them over the next 2-4 years. 

I wish the State of Florida didn't have 3 powerhouses historically in FSU/Miami/Gators and even UCF steals talent but instead just one major powerhouse state of Florida Program; I believe we'd destroy Alabama year in and year out because I feel Florida High School Football is 2nd to none. 

We have landed a few 5 stars.  Just has not worked out for us.  Jacob Eason was a 5 star when he came to us in 2016.  Got injured and Pipped by Fromm during the 2017 season.  We also landed Justin Fields, another 5 star, but Kirby didn't know how to use him so he left.  We do have another 5 star coming in next year.  Local Georgia kid, Brock Vandagriff.  Hoping we open up the offense next season, and maybe we can take that next step.  

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I'm going to regret engaging with you, but Eason, Fromm,  Fields, Daniels, and now Vandagriff are all five stars.

There's no lack of 5 star quarterbacks in Athens just a lack of living up to them. 

• Upvote 2

What makes a guy generational is when you watch a guy like TL play and then feel the need to nitpick his numbers to death.  You ignore than no defense fools him, no throw is a problem for him, how he makes the game easy and the way he handles himself under stress.

I remember when Luck went from generational to he may not be as good as needed on the deep ball.  Or Peyton didnt have a big enough arm.  Kind of like when Becton didnt block enough passing plays therefore there was concern.  happens to often, build em up then question why.  

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I hope those high on Fitzgerald have been watching this rock fight NW is on the verge of losing against a crappy MSU team. 

Get use to a lot of pathetic offense and hoping your defense can win you games week after week.

Right now, I think people are high on anyone not named Adam Gase.  You hear we are interested in someone and its good news regardless of who the guy is.

I agree with you on Fitzgerald.  Not exaclty an innovative offensive mind that I want leading my team with a young QB to develop.

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I hope those high on Fitzgerald have been watching this rock fight NW is on the verge of losing against a crappy MSU team. 

Get use to a lot of pathetic offense and hoping your defense can win you games week after week.

It’s not like Northwestern is known for recruiting world class athletes. Coaching still requires talent

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Not much of a game either.   

This is the probelm with college football right now.  It is the era of the Superteam.  Clemson, Bama, to a lesser extent Ohio State.  Every once in a while another team crashes the party.  LSU last year, maybe ND this year.  Most weeks, these teams are not challenged.  Used to be Auburn-Alabama was one of the marquee games of the college season.  Now, it just another mismatch.   Bama beat a 5th ranked A&M by 28.  Beat 3rd ranked Dawgs by 17.  Will probably be similar when they go against the Gators in the SEC Championship.

Clemson has the one loss to ND without Lawrence.  Will be some intrigue for the rematch.  But that is the only game that matters for Clemson right now.  Lawrnece looks good tonight, but he has clean pcokets, open receivers.  The defenses cannot make it tough on TL. 

I want to see good games.  Not superteams beating the snot out of overmatched opponents in glorified exhibitions.

End of rant.

It makes it hard to scout players.

Is a running back good, or does he have nice numbers because of the holes he gets to run through?

Same with a lot of QBs, are they good, or are they just on an all star team week after week?

• Upvote 1

Devonte Smith (170+ receiving yards, 2 TD's)

Kyle Pitts (3 TD's on 5 receptions, 20 yds/catch)

These two, along with Etienne, need to be who we're focused on with the Seattle pick. Studs who can impact our offense day 1 for whoever is our QB in 2021.

It's been too long since we've drafted a guy like that. I like our chances that one of them will be available at that Seattle pick.

• Upvote 1

FYI - y'all need to just stop debating about Lawrence. In NFL circles he's generational as a prospect so it doesn't matter what fans think. He's the #1 pick by a mile and there isn't a 2nd choice. If the Jets are lucky enough to get him, the only debate is how we go about surrounding him with players so we don't ruin the nicest thing this franchise has had since ever.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i came for the Devonta Smith circle jerk. 

And rightfully so; he's now Alabama's All-Time leading WR in TD receptions (33) and #2 All-Time leader in receiving yards (3,012). 

Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy etc immediately comes to mind as do Ruggs, Waddle, Ridley etc he's being surrounded by awesome WR talent. 

I'd do backflips if Trevor Lawrence/Devonta Smith were out two 1st round picks with both Mekhi Becton/Denzel Mims already in place as homegrown talents...