Is Lance the Next Mahomes? From Draft Forum

JetBlue

18 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Sorry if I'm breaking rules double posting, but I don't know how many check the Draft forum and really wanted some feed back on this. (Oh well I asked for it, flame away...  :))

Just asking the question....   I was watching some of his film and I think this kid could be the steal of the draft depending on where he is picked.  I know a lot can happen between now and the draft and he certainly hasn't helped himself by only playing one game, but this guy's skill set is tailor made for todays modern NFL.   He looks like bigger, better passing version of Lamar Jackson.  

If the Jets don't get the first pick, I would seriously consider trading down a few picks and taking Lance at say 4 or 5, and getting nice haul in picks if possible.   Then depending on how Sam does the rest of the season, I would bring him back to compete and hopefully win the job so that Lance can sit and watch for at least half a season.  He does not need to be thrown in right away.  Now if Darnold really plays well we have a nice problem in that, we can trade Sam and get maybe a 1st round pick.   We roll into the next season with Lance having half a season under his belt and another crap load of picks to continue to build around him.   I really like this scenario but my only fear is that some team takes Lance ahead of us or trades the pick to team looking to move up.    Of course if we do get the 1st pick then we really have to take TL (unless he decides he doesn't want to play for us).  It would be almost criminal not to.    That said, I like the fact that we do have options going forward and don't have to freak out if we win a game or two.   It might actually work in our favor when all is said and done. 

From the little I've seen of Trey Lance, he looks like he's got a very high ceiling. I wouldn't hate it if we did what you say here but, just based on scouting reports, it would be hard to pass up Trevor should we be in position to draft him.  But that's what Joe D gets paid the big bucks for.  

Although I'll probably be branded and exiled for suggesting it, if the Jets get the #1 pick, I am all for trading down and getting a top three or four QB plus a nice ransom of picks to fill out the team. This kid looks good - and with a supporting cast, he might end up being a very good one. 

I am spooked by Lawrence insofar as his long throw accuracy is debatable, and he's playing with an all star team. I'd rather get a guy who makes a mediocre team better, than a guy who sits atop a talent laden steamroller. I'd also take Fields. 

As others have pointed out, the consensus #1 pick often doesn't turn out to be "the guy". So I'd rather hedge the bet by drafting more guys across the lineup, and end up with a solid team.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

Is this really a three QB Draft now for 2021?

I’d love to see a reputable prospect grading of all the top QBs coming out of college over the past 4-5 years in comparison to each other.

Where do guys like Trevor, Watson, Mayfield, Mahomes, Darnold, Herbert, Allen, Burrow, Fields, Lance, Lamar, etc. grade out when normalizing/standardizing the grades?

Glad you posted this @JetBlue 

it has crossed my mind....    JD may have his guys on this scenario...   it coiuld even include DRAFTING TL...

then waiting to see what teams call up and make offers, of course the info that Jets would be willingtorade would hafta be outt here... and we'd hafta have targeted another guy....

Fields, Lance and Zach arethe 1st ones that come to mind...    imagine if we went w/ Trask???

who knows??

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Although I'll probably be branded and exiled for suggesting it, if the Jets get the #1 pick, I am all for trading down and getting a top three or four QB plus a nice ransom of picks to fill out the team. This kid looks good - and with a supporting cast, he might end up being a very good one. 

I am spooked by Lawrence insofar as his long throw accuracy is debatable, and he's playing with an all star team. I'd rather get a guy who makes a mediocre team better, than a guy who sits atop a talent laden steamroller. I'd also take Fields. 

As others have pointed out, the consensus #1 pick often doesn't turn out to be "the guy". So I'd rather hedge the bet by drafting more guys across the lineup, and end up with a solid team.

Though I’m on the Trevor bandwagon, Justin Herbert is proving there are more than 1 way to skin a cat. 
So many options for the Jets if they pick #1. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

@Maxman

Brand. Exile.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

From the little I've seen of Trey Lance, he looks like he's got a very high ceiling. I wouldn't hate it if we did what you say here but, just based on scouting reports, it would be hard to pass up Trevor should we be in position to draft him.  But that's what Joe D gets paid the big bucks for.  

I would not pass on Trevor either.  I only thinking of a scenario where we pick 2nd. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Level of competition is a legit concern re lance. 

I agree but you can say that about a number quarterbacks from small schools or from none major colleges.  The bigger issue for me is his lack of experience as a starting quarterback.  Who ever takes Lance will need to be very patient, like the chiefs were with Mahomes.   I would no problem sitting him for a full year.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I agree but you can say that about a number quarterbacks from small schools or from none major colleges.  The bigger issue for me is his lack of experience as a starting quarterback.  Who ever takes Lance will need to be very patient, like the chiefs were with Mahomes.   I would no problem sitting him for a full year.  

Mahomes was much further along coming out than Lance is now. He really should have stayed in school for another year, but that's his choice. He might need more than a full year honestly.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King P said:

Mahomes was much further along coming out than Lance is now. He really should have stayed in school for another year, but that's his choice. He might need more than a full year honestly.

You may be right; he really should have played this year.  I think he made a mistake by only play8ing one game.  That said, he is still very intriguing to me.  

1 hour ago, King P said:

I was intrigued by Trey Lance at first, but the more I saw of him the less I liked. The potential is there, but he's very raw. Needs another year or 2 of development.

I don't see him being elite honestly. I see the finished version of him being a Tannehill type QB.

But I'd still definitely take him over Zach Wilson, who gives me major Trubisky vibes

this is interesting, if only b/c it brings up what will happen w/ Lance and Zach...    

it will be fun to see what happens with these 2 guys....

for me, giving a slight edge to ZW...   slight...like 55/45

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Sorry if I'm breaking rules double posting, but I don't know how many check the Draft forum and really wanted some feed back on this. (Oh well I asked for it, flame away...  :))

Just asking the question....   I was watching some of his film and I think this kid could be the steal of the draft depending on where he is picked.  I know a lot can happen between now and the draft and he certainly hasn't helped himself by only playing one game, but this guy's skill set is tailor made for todays modern NFL.   He looks like bigger, better passing version of Lamar Jackson.  

If the Jets don't get the first pick, I would seriously consider trading down a few picks and taking Lance at say 4 or 5, and getting nice haul in picks if possible.   Then depending on how Sam does the rest of the season, I would bring him back to compete and hopefully win the job so that Lance can sit and watch for at least half a season.  He does not need to be thrown in right away.  Now if Darnold really plays well we have a nice problem in that, we can trade Sam and get maybe a 1st round pick.   We roll into the next season with Lance having half a season under his belt and another crap load of picks to continue to build around him.   I really like this scenario but my only fear is that some team takes Lance ahead of us or trades the pick to team looking to move up.    Of course if we do get the 1st pick then we really have to take TL (unless he decides he doesn't want to play for us).  It would be almost criminal not to.    That said, I like the fact that we do have options going forward and don't have to freak out if we win a game or two.   It might actually work in our favor when all is said and done. 

Why wouldn't he be the next Wentz?

Well sure. 

But only if he's drafted by a Franchise this year coming off of 5 consecutive winning seasons (4/5 playoff appearance's) an offensive guro of a head coach along with Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Sammy Watkins types of elite offensive weapon's and an A+ offensive line...

Well then anything is possible once being drafted into QB dream scenario(s)...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

Glad you posted this @JetBlue 

it has crossed my mind....    JD may have his guys on this scenario...   it coiuld even include DRAFTING TL...

then waiting to see what teams call up and make offers, of course the info that Jets would be willingtorade would hafta be outt here... and we'd hafta have targeted another guy....

Fields, Lance and Zach arethe 1st ones that come to mind...    imagine if we went w/ Trask???

who knows??

They really need to take the guy with the highest ceiling in my opinion.  Someone like Zach Wilson may be more NFL ready but Lance gives me Mahomes vibes; he really does.   Still, he could be a project/gamble that JD might not want to take chance on.  

7 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Well sure. 

But only if he's drafted by a Franchise this year coming off of 5 consecutive winning seasons (4/5 playoff appearance's) an offensive guro of a head coach along with Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Sammy Watkins types of elite offensive and an A+ offensive line...

Well when you explain it like that..... 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

They really need to take the guy with the highest ceiling in my opinion.  Someone like Zach Wilson may be more NFL ready but Lance gives me Mahomes vibes; he really does.   Still, he could be a project/gamble that JD might not want to take chance on.  

oh, i am not even convinced myself my slight vive toward ZW is correct...  just a vibe...   and , for me? Fields moves like RUSS WILSON

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Who knows.  I think your scenario might be right.  But it still assumes the jets aren’t planning to go forward with darnold.  IMO if they have a chance to pick Lawrence they should just do so and not think twice.  There are always highly picked QBs that don’t pan out but the risk to finally get the proverbial franchise QBs is too great.  And while trading down and picking a lesser known prospect might be a strategy it’s not the same as trading away some top picks like they did with darnold.  And darnold may still be in their future which means they go for edge or cb or wr with their top picks.  

2 hours ago, King P said:

I was intrigued by Trey Lance at first, but the more I saw of him the less I liked. The potential is there, but he's very raw. Needs another year or 2 of development.

I don't see him being elite honestly. I see the finished version of him being a Tannehill type QB.

But I'd still definitely take him over Zach Wilson, who gives me major Trubisky vibes

Agreed.  I love him, but this is a kid that needs to sit for a year and change because he’s coming out too early.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Why? Because he went to the same school?  What does that have to do with his ability?   Would you not take Justin Fields because he went to Ohio State? 

Because nothing about his game is Mahomes., not an air raid offense, a pro set?  Hes not as experienced as Mahomes, should stay in school another year.

I get it, the next Mahomes, will be on peoples lips for a while

Well sure. 
But only if he's drafted by a Franchise this year coming off of 5 consecutive winning seasons (4/5 playoff appearance's) an offensive guro of a head coach along with Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Sammy Watkins types of elite offensive weapon's and an A+ offensive line...

for cryin out tears
stop saying “guro”.
a search resulted in 5 or more of your posts, including two in the last hour.
  • Haha 1

I'm going to say No, at least from what I see.  

What makes Mahomes special is that he has an elite arm with very good accuracy when he's off base.  On pure arm talent, someone like Josh Allen is better, but he can make throws that are rare while on the move, or not completely set.  Other than Rodgers, I'm not sure I've seen someone that is accurate as him on off-balance throws, which really put the pressure on defense.   

For Lance, I think he has potential, but I don't see it on tape for his accuracy while being off-centered.  Could he be? Sure, I don't know.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jago said:

whats your take on Jimmy Guropolo ?

I think that A.) Kraft was right for sticking with Brady for as long as he did. B.) Bill was a total fraud of a clueless moron who wanted to trade away Brady in order to keep Jimmy G and C.) I hope he stinks so bad that San Francisco becomes desperate for Sam and gives us a 2nd and 3rd for him. 

3 hours ago, King P said:

He’s raw. Period. Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years behind Farve and played 2 full seasons in NCAA. Lance has played just 1 year college ball.  He’s an intriguing prospect but he’s definitely not a top 10 candidate. It would benefit him to be taken by a team that has the luxury to let him sit for 2-3 years. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

Who knows.  I think your scenario might be right.  But it still assumes the jets aren’t planning to go forward with darnold.  IMO if they have a chance to pick Lawrence they should just do so and not think twice.  There are always highly picked QBs that don’t pan out but the risk to finally get the proverbial franchise QBs is too great.  And while trading down and picking a lesser known prospect might be a strategy it’s not the same as trading away some top picks like they did with darnold.  And darnold may still be in their future which means they go for edge or cb or wr with their top picks.  

I said this is only we are picking SECOND.  Pay attention ?

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because nothing about his game is Mahomes., not an air raid offense, a pro set?  Hes not as experienced as Mahomes, should stay in school another year.

I get it, the next Mahomes, will be on peoples lips for a while

I mean physically. What about him reminds you of Wentz other then they went to the same school???