Jump to content

10 Songs That Shouldn't Have Left the '80s


Recommended Posts

1. Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters

2. The Pointer Sisters - Jump

3. The Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited

4. Van Halen - Jump

5. Michael Jackson - Beat it

6. Paula Abdul - Straight Up

7. Cindy Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun 

8. Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

9. Starship - We Built This City

10. Kool & The Gang - Celebration

Bonus: All of Kool Moe Dee songs

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, STLuLu said:

1. Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters

2. The Pointer Sisters - Jump

3. The Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited

4. Van Halen - Jump

5. Michael Jackson - Beat it

6. Paula Abdul - Straight Up

7. Cindy Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun 

8. Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

9. Starship - We Built This City

10. Kool & The Gang - Celebration

Bonus: All of Kool Moe Dee songs

Do NOT sully the good name of Kool Moe Dee!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, munchmemory said:

I'm about as big a Who fan as you will find.  But they produced  a bunch of dogsh*t tunes in the 80s.  This one makes me cringe.

 

They don't play it in concert because Townsend is a bit embarrassed about this song. Was inspired by his drug-fueled attempt to get the actress Theresa Russell to leaver her husband for him. Big fan of them too but this song is not very good. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bugg said:

They don't play it in concert because Townsend is a bit embarrassed about this song. Was inspired by his drug-fueled attempt to get the actress Theresa Russell to leaver her husband for him. Big fan of them too but this song is not very good. 

Thanks for this, Bugg.   Yeah, I read Pete's book and know this story.  I'd be devastated too if I missed a shot at Theresa Russell from those days.  She was so gorgeous.  Still doesn't absolve Petee from writing that POS song, though.  lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

New Jersey still produced some great acts in the 80's though.  The Smithereens are one of my all time favorite bands.  RIP Pat!

listen, to each his own but, sorry NJ, you can keep BJ to yourselves

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peebag said:

I kinda like Athena

😶

That's fine.  Just not my cup of tea.

14 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

New Jersey still produced some great acts in the 80's though.  The Smithereens are one of my all time favorite bands.  RIP Pat!

I crank up my amp and play this at least once per week.  Love The Smithereens, too.   Great riff.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

That's fine.  Just not my cup of tea.

I crank up my amp and play this at least once per week.  Love The Smithereens, too.   Great riff.

 

They really don't get enough credit.  The Smithereens had a effect on a lot of bands that ended up becoming stars in the 90's.  A lot like King's X.  One of Kurt Cobain's favorite albums was Especially For You.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 1:21 PM, munchmemory said:

That's fine.  Just not my cup of tea.

I crank up my amp and play this at least once per week.  Love The Smithereens, too.   Great riff.

 

I saw them live in the late 80s (maybe 89?) at an on campus concert at FAU in Boca. They hung out and drank with a few of us at the Rathskeller Bar on campus after the event. Good times.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the original demo of Athena, when it was called "Theresa".  Like or hate the tune (I happen to be closer to the "like" side of the spectrum), you might find this version interesting.  Quite a bit different from the "It's Hard" version.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...