Tyson Fight - who is going to watch it tonight?

Maxman

10 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Tyson seems he he's in a real good place in life. I'm happy for him.

Very much this.

when he lost one of his children, he could’ve definitely spiraled. Really glad to see he’s managed to cope.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

wait you actually thought this was a fight ?

See what i told you in the other thread? The post you replied to here, and most of this thread, is an example of i was talking about. 

It's not about whether the fight is 'real' or not. Its about a 50 year old being able to defy age and still 'kick ass'. It's a symbol of post-pandemic America. Age doesn't stop you from working. 

I like to assume that Tyson's fight probably inspired a bunch of old farts across the country to get up and work...age is no barrier. Or at least...that's the idea. 

37 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

It's not about whether the fight is 'real' or not. Its about a 50 year old being able to defy age and still 'kick ass'. It's a symbol of post-pandemic America. Age doesn't stop you from working. 

A 50 year old

1.  Isnt old where kicking ass is defying age, give us old guys a break here, lol  

2.  Basically hitting a heavy bag isnt really either.  

But it was entertaining, especially with the commentators starting off trying to act like it wasnt an exhibition and then Snoop Dog turning it into pure entertainment.  It was a fun idea that they pulled off. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

A 50 year old

1.  Isnt old where kicking ass is defying age, give us old guys a break here, lol  

If you're buying into this, then you're already one of the 'converted'.

But many others, 'the unconverted', the non-believers, they needed to see it for themselves. The event was staged for them, not for the converted. 

A 50 year old
But it was entertaining, especially with the commentators starting off trying to act like it wasnt an exhibition and then Snoop Dog turning it into pure entertainment.  It was a fun idea that they pulled off. 

hey no spoilers!
some of us over 50 are waiting for cosell to call it next saturday on wide world of sports.
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

See what i told you in the other thread? The post you replied to here, and most of this thread, is an example of i was talking about. 

I like to assume that Tyson's fight probably inspired a bunch of old farts across the country to get up and work...age is no barrier. Or at least...that's the idea. 

I get what you are trying to say here and to some extent it works in sports. But from what I saw in that fight confirmed it was a dancing match rather than an actual fight. Neither fighter while in close ever tried to land a digging body blow they were all just easy punches that had zero effect. These guys had no intension of winning a fight they had every intension of a pay day. For all the different reasons that would push a former great athlete back into a brutal sport this was not an example or I should say a good example. George Foreman however was someone who I could get behind for what he did even though at first I thought he was a joke he persevered and became the champ once again and put to rest the demons that hurt him the first time around. Thats not happening here as Roy Jones has duped the boxing community more than a few times. They are now business men not Boxers

You made reference to Tom Brady in the other thread which was a valid comparison (in respect to age) but what you say there does not actually describe Tom Brady. The guy actually loves the sport, he does not need to money obviously and he does not actively bring any attention to himself like say a Jamal Adams does. Tom plays the game because he loves the game. IMHO Roy Jones and Mike Tyson are very different characters than Tom Brady do they love the sport of boxing or do they see a nice payday after squandering most of the money they made the first time around ? If Roy and Mike truly loved the sport like a Tom Brady they may never have quit in the first place. That being said boxing is a brutal sport that can scramble your brain and both Roy and Mike know this and that's why this fight they put on had absolutely zero intensity. If people want to see Mike because he was their hero back in the day they can get that by watching his pod cast not donating to his 10 million dollar pay day for a dance match

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Two of his knockdowns won't treat him well on video. The 2nd one I think, where he was under the rope. But the final one, he just dropped. That think is already all over tiktok. That will live on for sure.

That is they downside of getting knocked out by a YouTube star. You are gonna go viral.

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Why you little pric... haha, I agree though. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

I get what you are trying to say here and to some extent it works in sports. But from what I saw in that fight confirmed it was a dancing match rather than an actual fight. Neither fighter while in close ever tried to land a digging body blow they were all just easy punches that had zero effect. These guys had no intension of winning a fight they had every intension of a pay day. For all the different reasons that would push a former great athlete back into a brutal sport this was not an example or I should say a good example. George Foreman however was someone who I could get behind for what he did even though at first I thought he was a joke he persevered and became the champ once again and put to rest the demons that hurt him the first time around. Thats not happening here as Roy Jones has duped the boxing community more than a few times. They are now business men not Boxers

You made reference to Tom Brady in the other thread which was a valid comparison (in respect to age) but what you say there does not actually describe Tom Brady. The guy actually loves the sport, he does not need to money obviously and he does not actively bring any attention to himself like say a Jamal Adams does. Tom plays the game because he loves the game. IMHO Roy Jones and Mike Tyson are very different characters than Tom Brady do they love the sport of boxing or do they see a nice payday after squandering most of the money they made the first time around ? If Roy and Mike truly loved the sport like a Tom Brady they may never have quit in the first place. That being said boxing is a brutal sport that can scramble your brain and both Roy and Mike know this and that's why this fight they put on had absolutely zero intensity. If people want to see Mike because he was their hero back in the day they can get that by watching his pod cast not donating to his 10 million dollar pay day for a dance match

1. Sport exists to impart ideas, lifestyles and beliefs. In America, we're taught to conquer nature. That's the whole point of sports; to show people what they can achieve through blind (and possibly irrational) faith. With a leap of faith, you can do anything

I don't agree with this way of thinking (see--> https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/155763-rant-the-cosmetics-industry-profits-from-the-insecurities-of-little-girls ) but that's what this is. It's about maxing it out in the one life you have. Or something along those lines. 

Sports, is life. 

2. I don't think Brady loves football more than Tyson loves boxing. It's not about the sport itself, those guys love the contest, they love the thrill of 'training for something' and breaking boundaries. Tyson and Jones probably fell out of love with the BUSINESS of boxing - which is exploitative and corrupt - but do they love boxing? I think they do.

It's hard to get that good at something if you don't have the passion. Am i wrong?

3. Leaving aside broader philosophical discussions, the number 1 rule in America is: The customer is never wrong. If there's a market for 50 year old Iron mike, who are we to tell them they're wrong? 

What else would they spend their money on? Burgers and fries? If they got some entertainment (or inspiration?) out of it, then it was money well spent. 

37 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

1. Sport exists to impart ideas, lifestyles and beliefs. In America, we're taught to conquer nature. That's the whole point of sports; to show people what they can achieve through blind (and possibly irrational) faith. With a leap of faith, you can do anything

I don't agree with this way of thinking (see--> https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/155763-rant-the-cosmetics-industry-profits-from-the-insecurities-of-little-girls ) but that's what this is. It's about maxing it out in the one life you have. Or something along those lines. 

Sports, is life. 

2. I don't think Brady loves football more than Tyson loves boxing. It's not about the sport itself, those guys love the contest, they love the thrill of 'training for something' and breaking boundaries. Tyson and Jones probably fell out of love with the BUSINESS of boxing - which is exploitative and corrupt - but do they love boxing? I think they do.

It's hard to get that good at something if you don't have the passion. Am i wrong?

3. Leaving aside broader philosophical discussions, the number 1 rule in America is: The customer is never wrong. If there's a market for 50 year old Iron mike, who are we to tell them they're wrong? 

What else would they spend their money on? Burgers and fries? If they got some entertainment (or inspiration?) out of it, then it was money well spent. 

I think you are missing my point . Based on what you are saying My response is ..... If you love a sport and love what you do then do it to its fullest extent ..... exhibitions that are made out to be real by the pre fight hype and cost people money in the process are IMHO a disgrace and a disservice to the sport itself. It was obvious this was staged but I'm sure a good percentage of the people who watched it thought it was genuinely real. That IMHO is a smack in the face to the sport these boxers claim to love and with boxing always facing so much adversity over the years they are doing more damage than good in this instance and I do not think that's disputable. 

We will have Tyson Fury and Wilder and then Joshua after that, and those guys are gonna fight just like Duran did and Ray Leonard did and Tommy Hearns did and Marvin Hagler did. No love lost between those guys and that's the real thing the genuine thing. 

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I think you are missing my point . Based on what you are saying My response is ..... If you love a sport and love what you do then do it to its fullest extent ..... exhibitions that are made out to be real by the pre fight hype and cost people money in the process are IMHO a disgrace and a disservice to the sport itself. It was obvious this was staged but I'm sure a good percentage of the people who watched it thought it was genuinely real. That IMHO is a smack in the face to the sport these boxers claim to love and with boxing always facing so much adversity over the years they are doing more damage than good in this instance and I do not think that's disputable. 

We will have Tyson Fury and Wilder and then Joshua after that, and those guys are gonna fight just like Duran did and Ray Leonard did and Tommy Hearns did and Marvin Hagler did. No love lost between those guys and that's the real thing the genuine thing. 

You and I are living in the same neighborhood on this topic.  

I'm a little further down than you are. I think all sport is staged. Or partially rigged. We like to think of it as a level playing field, but it isn't. There's too much money involved. 

Why does the United States refuse to bring all of its sports under the World Antidoping Agency? What are they hiding? Some always have more resources (and advantages) than others, and even if they don't, you have the very simple fact that some are genetically predisposed to being 'better' at a sport than others. So it's never really a 'level' playing field. 

It's like finding out that santa isn't real, or like finding out that pro-wrestling is Fake.  it kills your idealism and makes you a bit 'godless', but its not a bad place to be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TnT said:

Very much this.

when he lost one of his children, he could’ve definitely spiraled. Really glad to see he’s managed to cope.

Ugh. I don't know how I didn't know about that, but I didn't. I'm also really sorry I looked it up, especially since I rarely look up anything. Holy Christ. Probably the only thing I've ever read that's as bad as that that happened to someone in sports was when Todd Heap backed over his 3 year old daughter with his truck in his own driveway and killed her. I have a sick pit in my stomach right now. Jesus.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I wasn't sure about that until tonight. Everyone hates the guy so there were so many people rooting for him to lose. You can tell he is taking this serious, his is a Buffon with all the antics and I think he is calling out people he can't handle. But he was very impressive tonight.

Interesting to hear that he is respected in the gym though. He said he wants to fight McGregor lol.

Him and his brother present themselves as colossal jackbags on purpose but they work their asses off in the gym and everyone always respects that. Logan Paul has super legit grappling as well. I honestly think he would fair well in lower level MMA fights (local level stuff), but again there is no point, they are already making a ton of money doing what they are doing now.

Prize fighting is a tough business. These guys seem to have found a loophole for making some serious money with it and people within the fight game don't hate them as much as everyone outside of it, reason being they are able to draw casual non-fans into paying for events. Say what you want about their characters but they bring legit fighters onto their cards and help make them money in a business where it is not easy for a lot of these guys to get paid well.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

A 50 year old

What Tyson and Jones did is what old martial artists all over the planet do. Plenty of masters-age competitions for Judo, Muay Thai, Boxing, MMA, Jiu Jitsu...etc. I honestly have no idea how anyone can think paying to watch it is a good idea but I think people equate this stuff the wrong way. As in the "it's sad this is what boxing has become" sh*t. Outside of Badou Jack that event last night wasn't boxing and boxing itself is actually in a great place right now. It'll be interesting to see where the buys come from because Tyson himself last night said he thinks Jake Paul got all of them paid.

Older guys fighting and competing is fine so long as they do it against each other. It's when we stick these guys in the ring with 25 year-olds when it becomes problematic. 

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What Tyson and Jones did is what old martial artists all over the planet do. Plenty of masters-age competitions for Judo, Muay Thai, Boxing, MMA, Jiu Jitsu...etc. I honestly have no idea how anyone can think paying to watch it is a good idea but I think people equate this stuff the wrong way. As in the "it's sad this is what boxing has become" sh*t. Outside of Badou Jack that event last night wasn't boxing and boxing itself is actually in a great place right now. It'll be interesting to see where the buys come from because Tyson himself last night said he thinks Jake Paul got all of them paid.

Older guys fighting and competing is fine so long as they do it against each other. It's when we stick these guys in the ring with 25 year-olds when it becomes problematic. 

I said the same thing about Tyson fighting only other old guys. I thought he looked really good but that is a very relative term. He looks good for a 54-year-old.

Tyson is a lot smarter than people realize. Logan paul we'll have clip after clip after clip getting viewed online.