Defense Wins Championships

Would you be against trading away 2021's Jamal pick from Seattle and both of our 2021 3rd round picks in return for Kyle Pitts?

We received two 1sts (2021/2022) and a 3rd (2021) for Jamal Adams...

So in essence we'd be flipping Jamal Adams and a 3rd round pick in return for Kyle Pitts; 

He's freakishly talented and truthfully I can't remember the last time I was in love with a TE of his caliber since probably Vernon Davis coming out because he's a TE @ 6'6 with WR type of speed and athleticism and reminds me of a Mike Evans type of freak. 

And the more I think about it the more I'd rather land a can't miss prospect in Pitts (for Trevor) rather than gambling on a couple of 3rd rounders who may not be able to immediately impact quite like Kyle Pitts will, because I can't think of two potential 3rd rounders who I'd take over Kyle Pitts. 

Just imagine if JD lands us an Allen Robinson @ WR come free agency...

QB: Trevor Lawrence.

LT: Mekhi Becton. 

WR1: Allen Robinson. 

Slot: Jamison Crowder. 

TE: Kyle Pitts. 

WR2: Denzel Mims. 

RB: Najee Harris (the 1st overall pick of the 2nd round). 

I could be wrong but I believe we'd still have one 4th, two 5th's, one 6th and one 7th and that's an offense that I'd enjoy building around moving forward...

Thoughts?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, predator_05 said:

What makes Pitts different from OJ Howard, ASJ or Ebron?

Or Vernon Davis who was mediocre for the first 3 years of his career.

12 hours ago, predator_05 said:

There are big differences. 

Well for starters he already has more NCAA TD's than OJ Howard/Ebron combined coming out of college (and still adding)

and unlike ASJ he's not getting DUI's (both college and the pros) and will not throw away his talents over alcoholism. 

But yeah, why not ask what's the difference between two of the NFL's greatest current TE's in Kelce and Kittle? We can play that questioning game too; because they couldn't hold Pitt's jockstrap coming out of college...

And just this past Saturday his previous game he went out and recorded 5 receptions for 99 yards and 3 TD's. 

He's a freakishly gifted athlete @ 6'6 with freakish athleticism (and none of the TEs you mentioned can compare either). 

He's going to become a Mike Evans type of unstoppable force once on an NFL level. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Heck no. Use the picks to put a competent offensive line in front of Lawrence.

Kind of like our 4th round Cameron Clark? 

Please list and name me two 3rd round 2021 O-Lineman who you'd rather have over Kyle Pitts (for Trevor Lawrence). 

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

But yeah, why not ask what's the difference between two of the NFL's greatest current TE's in Kelce and Kittle? 

Sure...but neither of those guys cost a 1st round pick. Or a 1st + two 3rds, as you're proposing...

Kittle was a 5th rounder. Why not keep the two 3rds for drafting the next Kittle? 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

So in essence we'd be flipping Jamal Adams and a 3rd round pick in return for Kyle Pitts; 

He's freakishly talented and truthfully I can't remember the last time I was in love with a TE of his caliber since probably Vernon Davis coming out because he's a TE @ 6'6 with WR type of speed and athleticism and reminds me of a Mike Evans type of freak. 

And the more I think about it the more I'd rather land a can't miss prospect in Pitts (for Trevor) rather than gambling on a couple of 3rd rounders who may not be able to immediately impact quite like Kyle Pitts will, because I can't think of two potential 3rd rounders who I'd take over Kyle Pitts. 

I could be wrong but I believe we'd still have one 4th, two 5th's, one 6th and one 7th and that's an offense that I'd enjoy building around moving forward...

Thoughts?

Yes, if the Jets really liked him and had a plan for how they would use him I would def. consider it. Its a lot to give up but he IS  a freak at the position. HOWEVER, I just don't see it happening. If anything, I think JD might trade down from that Seattle pick to add more picks and I think continues adding O-line, CB, Edge, WR before he addresses TE...we will also need a RB to complement Perine now that Bell is gone.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yes, if the Jets really liked him and had a plan for how they would use him I would def. consider it. Its a lot to give up but he IS  a freak at the position. HOWEVER, I just don't see it happening. If anything, I think JD might trade down from that Seattle pick to add more picks and I think continues adding O-line, CB, Edge, WR before he addresses TE...we will also need a RB to complement Perine now that Bell is gone.   

Agreed.   The way this draft class is setting up, I’d like to have as many picks in the 32-70 range as I can get.  

21 hours ago, predator_05 said:

lol - what's the point here?  You could literally do this with every single position in Football and college prospects.  

To answer your question and I could be totally wrong but I think Pitts will test out more freakish.  Howard had freak to him but he was never anywhere near as dynamic as a WR as Pitts.  Howard was always more of your throwback, inline TE.  Ebron lined up across the line more but wasnt a freakish and had inconsistent hands  Pitts hands are unreal and he runs routes like a WR.  

All that said, I legit think he goes top 10/15.  So I dont see this thread realistic. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Sure...but neither of those guys cost a 1st round pick. Or a 1st + two 3rds, as you're proposing...

Kittle was a 5th rounder. Why not keep the two 3rds for drafting the next Kittle? 

Should we wait till the 6th before taking a QB? Brady was taken in the 6th.  Ok fine, we'll wait till the 3rd because Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott.

It's not this black and white.  lol  If it was, then the draft would be easy, no one would ever miss and every team in the league would be stacked with not just Kittle's and Kelce's but every position would be a stud! 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

All that said, I legit think he goes top 10/15.  So I dont see this thread realistic. 

This is pretty much where I am.  Assuming we need to get to 10-12 to take Pitts and the Seattle pick is going to be between 25 & 30, I don't think the two 3s gets us to where we need to be to get Pitts.  Woul dprobably havve to package 33 with 25 to get to top 10 and I think that is too much to give up for a team with as many holes as we have.  

Comes down to would you rather have a starting OL and WR or Pitts.  Personally, I would rather see us get a guy lilke Devonta Smith and a Davis/Humphrey type to start on the OL and then target a TE like Iowa State's Charlie Kolar in the 3rd.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol - what's the point here?  

I was asking our thread starter to enlighten us. I, like many on this forum, don't watch college football, its too inferior for our high brow taste. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Should we wait till the 6th before taking a QB? Brady was taken in the 6th.  Ok fine, we'll wait till the 3rd because Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott.

It's not this black and white.  lol  If it was, then the draft would be easy, no one would ever miss and every team in the league would be stacked with not just Kittle's and Kelce's but every position would be a stud! 

Identifying good players is difficult. But there's no denying that you can find good players in every round.

Which is why giving up a 1st and two 3rds for a single player at a peripheral position makes zero sense. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is pretty much where I am.  Assuming we need to get to 10-12 to take Pitts and the Seattle pick is going to be between 25 & 30, I don't think the two 3s gets us to where we need to be to get Pitts.  Woul dprobably havve to package 33 with 25 to get to top 10 and I think that is too much to give up for a team with as many holes as we have.  

Comes down to would you rather have a starting OL and WR or Pitts.  Personally, I would rather see us get a guy lilke Devonta Smith and a Davis/Humphrey type to start on the OL and then target a TE like Iowa State's Charlie Kolar in the 3rd.

In general, we should be accumulating picks, rather than trading them to snipe a non-QB.  So as much as I love Kyle Pitts, I would not trade picks to get him or any other player in the draft.  You need to let the draft come to you and take the best player.  I'd love to see an offensive focused draft but when you're arguably the worst team in the history of the NFL, you need everything.  Cant be trading multiple picks for any 1 player.  Especially because I think Jordan and Freiermuth are both legit prospects. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, predator_05 said:

I was asking our thread starter to enlighten us. I, like many on this forum, don't watch college football, its too inferior for our high brow taste. 

Identifying good players is difficult. But there's no denying that you can find good players in every round.

Which is why giving up a 1st and two 3rds for a single player at a peripheral position makes zero sense. 

Right on, well hopefully my answer helped.

I agree you can find good players in every round but just because so and so were drafted in this round, doesnt mean it's the letter of the law.  

The bold, 100% agree and I love Kyle Pitts.

like pitts, NO WAY CAN the jets trade away assets, we have so many holes that one shiny towy we all want cannot drain the assets.

Just no to trading up in the early rounds.

• Upvote 1

Counterpoint to all of the NEED TO ACCUMULATE PICKS NEVER TRADE UP in this thread.

I agree with JiF that Pitts is likely a top 10-15 pick and the Seattle pick plus two thirds likely won't be enough to get up in that range...so in that case, the trade proposed is likely a good value. 

Pitts is a monster. I liked him preseason and I like him even more now. He's an extremely natural hands catcher who separates well for his position. Think he's pretty safe. Currently averaging 85.5 yards and 1.83 touchdowns per game this season. That is insane. 

Elite TE's in the NFL can have offenses that are largely built around them. Kittle is that guy right now, Kelce to a lesser extent. 

The difference between a TE and a WR is...you have to spend less capital to draft a TE. Both draft capital and contract money. The WR version of Pitts isn't a top 10-15 pick, I'd argue he's a top 5 pick in this draft and maybe competing with Sewell as the consensus third guy off the board. Also, Kittle just signed an extension. Five years, $75 million. That is peanuts for the role he plays on that team. Compare that to someone like Amari Cooper, I'd much rather have Kittle if the dollars were equal and Cooper's getting five years, $100 million. He hit the open market, but I don't think it earned him that $5m a year more. That was the position.

I do generally agree that the Jets have needs and should be acquiring picks more than giving them away, and also that this trade is unrealistic, but because I think it's a great deal I would make that trade for Pitts. There will be other opportunities to accumulate. Picks for Darnold, trade the first pick in the second round, etc.

• Post of the Week 1

Pitts will be there when we are using the Seahawks pick

TE is still percieved as a "luxury pick"

Yes

Especially since you could possibly grab a guy like Freiermuth in the 2nd.

He’s not the dynamic athlete that Pitts is, but he knows all of the little nuances of the position and will catch anything thrown within his vicinity.

I’ve never bought into the “baby Gronk” bullsh*t with prospects before (I never even bought into with Hockenson who I think was a better overall prospect than both Pitts and Freiermuth), but I’m kinda buying it here.

He’s a good inline blocker, hands like fly paper, fights his t!ts off for the ball in traffic, gets a great release and is savvy as hell at setting up front seven defenders...

I’m a fan, to say the least.

On 12/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, playtowinthegame said:

Gators have really worked out well for us. Let's now trade away draft picks for another one. We're due to get one right. 

Marcus Maye is the best player on this team, you shut your mouth.

• Haha 2

I'll do that trade in a NY minute. I'll trade the Seahawks picks, the 33rd overall and 96th overall for Kyle Pitt. According to the draft value chart thats enough value to trade up for the 9th overall pick currently own by the Eagles.

The guy is a beast !!

Many have said that he resembles a better Darren Waller which I thought was sort of an underwhelming comparison until he smoked us this past week.

On 12/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, playtowinthegame said:

Gators have really worked out well for us. Let's now trade away draft picks for another one. We're due to get one right. 

You pick the player, not the school. 

Rick Harrell, Roy Eppes, Justin Miller, Chansi Stuckey, Tajh Boyd, Charone Peak and Jordan Leggett were the only 7 Clemson players we've ever drafted...

Does that mean we shouldn't draft Trevor Lawrence #1 overall? 

And suddenly you realize how stupid that argument is.

And Browning Nagle (horrible), Kerry Rhodes (sissy), Bilal Powell (career backup), Calvin Pryor (lol) and Lorenzo Mauldin (bust) were the only 5 Louisville players we've ever drafted...

Does that mean Joe Douglas should've used "your approach" and ran away from Mekhi Becton out of Louisville?!?!?

I can't stand college football fans who judge the game, like you do. 

Aaron Hernandez might've been a scumbag murdered off the field but he was once the greatest Florida Gators TE of All-Time on the football field (111 receptions for 1,382 receiving yards and 12 TD receptions throughout a full 40 games played)

but not anymore; thanks to Kyle Pitts (93 receptions for 1,363 receiving yards and 17 TD receptions throughout only 23 games played). 

Kyle Pitts is 2x the talent Hernandez was coming out!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Marcus Maye is the best player on this team, you shut your mouth.

No, he's not. He can't sniff the jockstrap of Quinnen Williams, Denzel Mims and Mekhi Becton. 

He's also a FS with zero ballhawking ability and worse pass coverage grades than Jamal Adams EVER had as a Jet here in 2020; and he'll be over 30 years old by the time he completes his 2nd NFL contract (laughable) and because all of the above won't even be on our roster come 2021. 

But that doesn't change the fact that Kyle Pitts is straight up fire and will become a Future NFL All-Pro (he's pure greatness). 

7 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

No, he's not. He can't sniff the jockstrap of Quinnen Williams, Denzel Mims and Mekhi Becton. 

He's also a FS with zero ballhawking ability and worse pass coverage grades than Jamal Adams EVER had as a Jet here in 2020; and he'll be over 30 years old by the time he completes his 2nd NFL contract (laughable) and because all of the above won't even be on our roster come 2021. 

But that doesn't change the fact that Kyle Pitts is straight up fire and will become a Future NFL All-Pro (he's pure greatness). 

Brian Poole is the best player on this team. 

• Haha 2

For a TE, probably. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to take him with Seattle's pick, but he'll probably be a top 10 pick or so.

I'm pretty much all in taking an OL with Seattle's pick. Wherever the value on the OL is, is where I'm going. I've recently been warming on a RT. The amount of times pass rushers have just moved to the other side to avoid Becton has been brutal. This would hopefully eliminate that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

On 11/30/2020 at 1:55 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Kind of like our 4th round Cameron Clark? 

Please list and name me two 3rd round 2021 O-Lineman who you'd rather have over Kyle Pitts (for Trevor Lawrence). 

Deonte Brown. Jack Carman. Jon Myers This team lacks talent on the roster. We can’t just give up 2 prime picks. If anything JD may trade back with that 25 or 33 pick and get an xtra pick. He’s definitely not trading up. He’s a great player but it’s a luxury at this point we can’t afford.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Deonte Brown. Jack Carman. Jon Myers This team lacks talent on the roster. We can’t just give up 2 prime picks. If anything JD may trade back with that 25 or 33 pick and get an xtra pick. He’s definitely not trading up. He’s a great player but it’s a luxury at this point we can’t afford.  

I’d add trey smith out of Tennessee. Kid seems very talented. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 11:38 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Thoughts?

No

Too many holes on the roster.   Multiple linemen, running back, wide receivers needed.

Oh, and the defense sucks tok.

• Upvote 1

I'd make the trade I think pitts is going to be the next big tight end and I honestly believe he is better than any reciever in this draft class. The only problem is we have so many holes that we almost can't do it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

On 11/29/2020 at 12:38 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Thoughts?

Thats more than ya need to get it done. So I'd love Pitts but not for all of that capital. 

Plus there are guys like Freiermuth, Long, Jordan, Kolar and even Eubanks later.  I like this TE class. 

On 11/29/2020 at 12:38 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Thoughts?

Thats more than ya need to get it done. So I'd love Pitts but not for all of that capital. 

Plus there are guys like Freiermuth, Long, Jordan, Kolar and even Eubanks later.  I like this TE class. 

• Upvote 1

Watched more of his highlights. I'm starting to come around on him. He's definitely better than Howard or any rookie TE in recent memory, he'll have a good career. Not a great blocker, but he's such a good playmaker that it might not matter. He'll be like Evan Engram, except way better. 

I still wouldn't spend a 1st on a TE, but he's better than any of the WRs i'm seeing at the end of the 1st round. And #RBsDontMatter, so if you're going offense, this is the guy. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company