So is Quinnen still a bust?

Philc1

Coming into this game, QW had played/started 9 games (of 10), and had 34 Tackles, 7 TFL and 3.5 sacks.

A slight improvement over his 2019 stats of 9 starts/13 games, 28 Tackles, 4 TFL and 2.5 sacks.

He's is improving, and that is good.

I think the idea that he is "developing into an elite player" is quite premature.  He is currently about equal to a JAG-type.  Not a 3rd pick in Draft type.

Hopefully, he continues to improve his game going forward, and may become a valued piece to the puzzle, but based on most of two years so far, it's hard to see him becoming worthy of where he was drafted.  But I'd happily take "competent piece that doesn't need immediate replacement" at this point. 

Chase Young is a good close comparison, he's been a disappointment here in DC so far, was the 2nd pick in his draft, and as a rookie through 10 games has 27 Tackles, 7 TFL, and 4.5 sacks.  While everyone here still believes in him, no one here is calling his 2020 performance elite.  

Still, seeing QW match (mostly) Young, positive!  

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Just wondering.  Best player on the field today.  Announcers are drooling over him

He was only a bust if you were starting at the box scores.  Film told us he was going to be a beast.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Happy to be wrong, and for Macc to have at least drafted 1 player worth a damn.  

Quinnen Williams living up to his draft status makes it less necessary to use high picks on defense.  That's big.

Yeah but it’d be nice to get him a teammate on the EDGE that forces QBs to step up. 

• Upvote 1

Also it wouldn’t be right for me to post in here without admitting to my preference for Ed Oliver who has been mediocre so far. Quinnen has started to show the traits that made him great in college in the NFL. He still needs another step in the right direction before he can be close to worth his draft position but he’s been so good this year.

He's played well at times.  Due to his position its really played an important factor in all of our wins so far. He has 6 games where he had 3 tackles or less and at times utterly disappeared. If you want to get excited about 4 very good games and 6 below average/average games have at it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Coming into this game, QW had played/started 9 games (of 10), and had 34 Tackles, 7 TFL and 3.5 sacks.

A slight improvement over his 2019 stats of 9 starts/13 games, 28 Tackles, 4 TFL and 2.5 sacks.

He's is improving, and that is good.

I think the idea that he is "developing into an elite player" is quite premature.  He is currently about equal to a JAG-type.  Not a 3rd pick in Draft type.

Hopefully, he continues to improve his game going forward, and may become a valued piece to the puzzle, but based on most of two years so far, it's hard to see him becoming worthy of where he was drafted.  But I'd happily take "competent piece that doesn't need immediate replacement" at this point. 

Chase Young is a good close comparison, he's been a disappointment here in DC so far, was the 2nd pick in his draft, and as a rookie through 10 games has 27 Tackles, 7 TFL, and 4.5 sacks.  While everyone here still believes in him, no one here is calling his 2020 performance elite.  

Still, seeing QW match (mostly) Young, positive!  

This post is a big whiff. First off, the three stats you cite only tell a small part of the story. What about pressures, QB hits, passes defended, forced fumbles, tackles for loss, etc., etc., etc. Any idiot can see he has become a major disruptive force this season after feeling his way around last season. Just the simple eyeball test shows that. 

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

This post is a big whiff. First off, the three stats you cite only tell a small part of the story. What about pressures, QB hits, passes defended, forced fumbles, tackles for loss, etc., etc., etc. Any idiot can see he has become a major disruptive force this season after feeling his way around last season. Just the simple eyeball test shows that. 

You'll have to forgive me, I'm not exactly sure what you're actually disagreeing with me about.

1. I told people last year you couldn't/shouldn't declare him (or anyone) a bust after one season.  

2. He is playing better in 2020, which is a positive.  

3. His stats/production put him in the middle ground of NFL DT's/DE's in most stats.

4. He has not yet lived up to his draft position.  But his improved play is a positive as is his matching of Chase Young.  

5. He's not elite today, and we'll need to see a lot more and more consistently before non-Jets Fans will call him that.

If you actually disagree with these points, ok.  It's a free country after all.

• Upvote 1

If it wasn’t for really awful roughing calls in the San Francisco and Denver games, he’d have 8 sacks on the year.

I wasn’t thrilled with drafting him because I was dead set on getting Bosa, but he’s been an absolute monster this year.  He’s grading out as an elite DT.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

He's played well at times.  Due to his position its really played an important factor in all of our wins so far. He has 6 games where he had 3 tackles or less and at times utterly disappeared. If you want to get excited about 4 very good games and 6 below average/average games have at it. 

Eh.  I’m all for mentioning positional importance, but he turned the ball over and gave it to the offense in enemy territory today.  Darnold and the offense just didn’t capitalize.  He has been one of those rare DTs that can absolutely effect a game this year.

Q Williams, Fatukasi, Maye, Hall, Davis, CJ Mosley.... suddenly look like a decent potential core going into next year on D.  Other complementary parts like Hewitt, maybe Austin, etc. could still be here.  I think the Jets are still 1 (or 2) edge rushers and another CB away from being a Top 10-12 defense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You didn't believe in him while he was stinking it up on the field?

Ha -- you lose at internets!!

Lol just being transparent. 

I absolutely despised the pick at the time and blasted him every moment I could last season, but never closed the door on him turning into something eventually like some people did. 

Just really hate people that continually made excuses for him. 

He is very good this year but he ALSO should have been very good last year too. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You're acting like he's been with the jets for 5 years and finally figuring it out.

Not all young players come into the league a dominate year 1. Especially those on really bad teams.

But 3rd overall picks are SUPPOSED to. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I had to stop reading right there. 

I've said it once before (posted) and I'll post and say it again. 

Amongst all DT's-NT's:

2nd in Tackles for Loss (10) behind only Aaron Donald (11).

3rd in total tackles (41) behind only Sheldon Richardson (42) and Jonathan Allen (45). 

3rd in Sacks (5.0) behind only Aaron Donald (9.0) and Chris Jones (5.5). 

You're wrong Warfish.

Because after being drafted 3rd overall; he's closer to being a top 3 NFL DT/NT than he is a "jag type". 

And he's only 22 years of age too; while absolutely dominating grown men within the trenches. 

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, JTJet said:

But 3rd overall picks are SUPPOSED to. 

Tell that to Peyton Manning, or Warren Sapp and even our own Darrelle Revis. 

None of them were 1st year All-Pros or even Pro Bowlers for that matter during only their 1st year of NFL developing.

Speaking of Sapp (who he was compared to coming out of Alabama) Warren never made his 1st pro bowl until his 3rd year and didn't make his first All-Pro until his 5th season in the league. 

Heck, Patrick Mahomes was on the BENCH during his rookie year. 

John Randle was one of my favorite DT's throughout my childhood growing up as a kid and I just went back and looked; and he didn't make his first Pro Bowl or All Pro until his 4th year in the league and didn't even earn playing time as a starter until half way (8 games) into his 2nd season...

Joe Klecko was before my time but he was the favorite Jets D-Linenan of my older brother and Klecko never made his first Pro Bowl/All-Pro until his 5th season but yet old timer Jet fans act and pretend as if he came out of the womb an already born NFL superstar... 

Etc. Etc. 

And this is coming from someone who was ready to quit on QW myself but I admit when I'm wrong and I was wrong because we're (all) always wrong to expect absolute greatness from rookies all because of "draft stock". 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Tell that to Peyton Manning, or Warren Sapp and even our own Darrelle Revis. 

None of them were 1st year All-Pros or even Pro Bowlers for that matter during only their 1st year of NFL developing.

Speaking of Sapp (who he was compared to coming out of Alabama) Warren never made his 1st pro bowl until his 3rd year and didn't make his first All-Pro until his 5th season in the league. 

Heck, Patrick Mahomes was on the BENCH during his rookie year. 

John Randle was one of my favorite DT's throughout my childhood growing up as a kid and I just went back and looked; and he didn't make his first Pro Bowl or All Pro until his 4th year in the league and didn't even earn playing time as a starter until half way (8 games) into his 2nd season...

Joe Klecko was before my time but he was the favorite Jets D-Linenan of my older brother and Klecko never made his first Pro Bowl/All-Pro until his 5th season but yet old timer Jet fans act and pretend if he came out of the womb a born NFL superstar...

Etc. Etc. 

And this is coming from someone who was ready to quit on QW myself but I admit when I'm wrong and I was wrong because we're (all) always wrong to expect absolute greatness from rookies all because of "draft stock". 

Tell what to who?

As I said, 3rd overall picks are expected to be great from day 1. That's the standard. 

Manning was expected to be great on day 0.  

Sapp wasnt a top 10 pick. 

Revis wasn't a top 10 pick. 

Randle wasnt a top 10 pick. 

Klecko wasnt a top 10 pick. 

Mahomes was the 10th pick. 

• WTF? 2