Is Adam Gase trying to get fired?

Alka

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I 180 turned on Darnold this year because there was a dramatic fall-off in his abilities between last year's 6-2 finish and this year's 0-7 open.  The guy is not a good quarterback.  I thought that after last season and being quarantined for 3 months in Jordan Palmer's House of Quarterbacks, he was going to take steps forward this year.  He didn't.  Because he can't.

It's interesting, as I said, because you were very, very clear in your previous oft' posted view that he was the clear-cut best QB in the AFC East, and maybe even the best or 2nd best QB in the AFC altogether.  

Your 180 turn revelation re: Darnold simply shows that your previous glowing evaluation of Darnold as one of the best QB's in the NFL was, clearly, off target and materially flawed.  I would describe it as being both loudly and consistently wrong.

As for Gase, I think he's done the best he can with a roster this bad, a quarterback this bad, and devastating injuries.  After the fire sales and trades, surely looks like he's a partner with Johnson on doing what's necessary for 2021 here in 2020 and is getting a mulligan for this lost season.  We'll see.

SAR I

Oh yes, I'm well aware of your view on Gase, given the frequency at which you post it.  As I am aware of your theory of Gase being "in on it" and losing and poorly producing on purpose for "the tank".

As stated, I'll be interested to read the justification for your inevitable future 180 turn on him once he is fired.  I am sure it will be an entertaining read.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Alka said:

He can't possibly keep his job.  Firing Gase is the ultimate "no brainer".

dont be so sure.  it seems he is in on the tankathon and I'm SURE he'd love to have his chance to make it work with Trevor Lawrence instead of Darnold.

Sam Darnold is a very poor fit for the offense Gase likes to run and Trevor Lawrence would be perfect.  

Remember... Without Gase, there would be no Joe Douglas... That does count for something... 

As unbelievable as it seams, I have a suspicion that we may see Gase as HC again in 2021

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, THE BARON said:

dont be so sure.  it seems he is in on the tankathon and I'm SURE he'd love to have his chance to make it work with Trevor Lawrence instead of Darnold.

Sam Darnold is a very poor fit for the offense Gase likes to run and Trevor Lawrence would be perfect.  

Remember... Without Gase, there would be no Joe Douglas... That does count for something... 

As unbelievable as it seams, I have a suspicion that we may see Gase as HC again in 2021

wtf?  Gase has been a head coach for 5 or 6 years now and ALL of his offense's sucked horribly.

Trevor Lawrence, or fields or anyone you can name will fail miserably under adam gase.  He is a terrible coach with  terrible plays, terrible play calls and a terrible idea of who is a good fit.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

There is no way they are trying to lose. I saw players trying to win yesterday.

That's good coaching right there.

I can name exactly 0 Jets teams in a similarly bleak November situation whose locker rooms were this behaved and whose players gave this much effort.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's interesting, as I said, because you were very, very clear in your previous oft' posted view that he was the clear-cut best QB in the AFC East, and maybe even the best or 2nd best QB in the AFC altogether.  

Sometimes people with opinions who take a side on an issue are wrong.  This is one of those times.  I thought that Darnold took steps last year, grew from a boy into a man, faced some adversity, and played like a Top 10 quarterback.  I thought that there was no way we could have the same amount of injuries this year as last year.  I thought that Jordan Palmer for 3 months and no change to the playbook or coaching staff would be a big plus.  I thought the new WR's and new OL would gel and we'd get off to a hot start.  I was wrong.

Your 180 turn revelation re: Darnold simply shows that your previous glowing evaluation of Darnold as one of the best QB's in the NFL was, clearly, off target and materially flawed.  I would describe it as being both loudly and consistently wrong.

That's fairly obvious.

As stated, I'll be interested to read the justification for your inevitable future 180 turn on him [Gase] once he is fired.  I am sure it will be an entertaining read.

It won't be a 180.  More like a 90.  I'm not a Gase fan, I just believe that a) he's handling himself very well in the worst circumstances possible and b) we can't do much better because we have a terrible Maccagnan/Idzik roster and are trying to eradicate a terrible Bowles/Ryan culture and that isn't something achievable in a year or two.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

that is what I believe will happen

Joe D likes Gase and Gase "hired Joe"

they are joined at the hip

I hate Gase and think he should go but it is funny that many Gase haters are all in on getting rid of him but some how Joe is teflon Joe -he made the roster much worse for Gase

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sometimes people with opinions who take a side on an issue are wrong.  This is one of those times. That's fairly obvious.

Yes, that is what I said, and yes, it is obvious in this case.  

It won't be a 180.  More like a 90.  I'm not a Gase fan.....

giphy.gif

.......I just believe that a) he's handling himself very well in the worst circumstances possible

and b) we can't do much better because we have a terrible Maccagnan/Idzik roster and are trying to eradicate a terrible Bowles/Ryan culture and that isn't something achievable in a year or two.

SAR I

So Adam Gase is the very best Head Coach we can have. 

Got it.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The three pillars of logic and objectivity:

- Adam Gase is a good coach

Adam Gase is a good head coach for this dysfunctional franchise during this rebuild.  I did not say he's the second-coming of Lombardi or that he's the guy to take us to the promised land.  We are in the middle of a drastic, tear-down rebuild and for this moment in time Adam Gase is doing a very good job.  Fire him if you want.  But only do it when the roster is rebuilt and we can actually attract someone better.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

- PSL's are investment gold

They are.  We're in Year 10 of a 30 year commitment and at some point God willing, the Jets will be a good team again and all those 10 year olds who watched us go to consecutive AFC Championships will be 25 years old, out of college, into their careers, and want season tickets.  PSL owners have all the good seats.  And PSL's turned out to cost nothing anyway.  The Jets haven't raised ticket prices since 2008.  Add up the increases they might have charged, subtract that from the PSL costs, you wind up in the same place.  PSL's were just fronting the Jets a decade of gameday ticket price increases, nothing more.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

- BMWs are the best cars

That's indisputable.  Well said.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

wtf?  Gase has been a head coach for 5 or 6 years now and ALL of his offense's sucked horribly.

Trevor Lawrence, or fields or anyone you can name will fail miserably under adam gase.  He is a terrible coach with  terrible plays, terrible play calls and a terrible idea of who is a good fit.

Yes, I agree with this...  Just pointing out that there is sales pitch Gase can throw out there.  Remember, Chris Johnson hired him even though he left the Dolphins in bad shape.  You can sell a small, common stone for $20,00 + if you have the right packaging.  

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

that is what I believe will happen

Joe D likes Gase and Gase "hired Joe"

they are joined at the hip

I hate Gase and think he should go but it is funny that many Gase haters are all in on getting rid of him but some how Joe is teflon Joe -he made the roster much worse for Gase

Joe made the roster worse this year as a portion of what it will take to make it very good for the next five years.  Thus far, I love what JD as done and I'm excited about the prospects of 0-16 leading to sustained success

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

that is comical for the entire year you have been saying how great he is

I have been saying how great he is for a dysfunctional team that has had bad GM's and bad drafts for a decade and a weed culture that needed a total tear-down.  I have been saying how amazing he has been in keeping the locker room motivated and the media taking a knee.  I have been saying that Adam Gase may be creating a new industry for himself as a head coach a bad franchise brings in for the tough times of a rebuild, gets you ready to win and attract a new head coach, and moves on.  Like a front office consultant but in the locker room and on the field, far more valuable when it comes to evaluating talent and mass firings.

I did not say he is the right guy for when we are rebuilt.

SAR I

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Nothing you could take to court.  It is just supposition...

Fair enough.  Personally, I've seen nothing that would convince me that Gase is "in on" anything.

The extreme poor performance of Gase's offense, and Gase's poor performances in front of the media, are both typical of Gase's resume when taken as a whole.  I certainly don't think he is producing the worst offense, and possibly the worst team, in the NFL on purpose as part of some grand plan.  

As SAR says, "we'll see". 

If Gase remains the Head Coach all the way thru the end of the season and isn't fired once the season ends.....well, that will be a very interesting day here at JN, to say the least. 

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

If you don't like that comparison, pick another.  Dick Vermeil was a disaster for 2 years in St. Louis, found Kurt Warner bagging groceries, and went 37-11 the next three seasons.  

The NFL is full of examples of Adam Gase records turning into Bill Belichick records.  It's about the players.  Our roster sucks.  We all know why.  Adam Gase isn't responsible for it.  Swap Andy Reid for Adam Gase tomorrow and the Chiefs win the Super Bowl and we'd be flying planes for Andy Reid.  It's how it works.

SAR I

Give me all those example of those HCs who are 30-45 lifetime and turn it around, keep their jobs after 7-20 on the way to 7-25 over the last 2 and turn it around with the Jets

Give me another example of those offensive HC's whose teams finished in the bottom of the leagues ranking every year and come back from it to contend.  

Its one thing to coach a bad team, its another to be absolutely abysmal on the side of the ball that is supposed to be your strength.  I've seen less talented rosters score more than 14 points a game.  

It says a lot that your team is undisciplined and incompetent on the field and consistently is beaten by double figures.  

I'll change what I said, I hope that what youre doing is schtick, hate to think anyone watching this moron coach that its not on him

• Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I can name exactly 0 Jets teams in a similarly bleak November situation whose locker rooms were this behaved and whose players gave this much effort.

SAR I

If you are a pro athlete and you are not putting out an effort to win in order to avoid being part of a winless season, if the competativness in you is not trying to avoid that, then you need to be doing something else. It has nothing to do with Gase. These players were taught  to do this since they were in elementary school. Winning is ingrained in them, Gase did not put it there. If they were 2 and 9, you might have a case but they are playing not to go into the record books as the 4th 0-16 team. All they have to do is step on the field for that. 

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If you are a pro athlete and you are not putting out an effort to win in order to avoid being part of a winless season, if the competativness in you is not trying to avoid that, then you need to be doing something else. It has nothing to do with Gase. These players were taught  to do this since they were in elementary school. Winning is ingrained in them, Gase did not put it there. If they were 2 and 9, you might have a case but they are playing not to go into the record books as the 4th 0-16 team. All they have to do is step on the field for that. 

Players don’t tank.  They are playing for their next contract. 

Coaches can tank, some ingeniously by making it look like they are playing to win, but they are not really.  

For the Jets, starting Darnold over Flacco (who can throw deep to Perriman, etc.) and focusing your offense on a 37 year old undersized RB is one way to surreptitiously tank.  

With this roster, if I am the Johnsons I don’t know whether it is worth paying Gase to retire if my choices are Brian Daboll, Eric B or Greg Roman.   They can call Jim Harbaugh right now and see if he is interested.  If he is, then you fire Gase.  Otherwise, let JD continue to try and find players.  

But it all falls apart if Trevor refuses to play here-but he appears to have released some of his bargaining position the other night by saying goodbye to Clemson. 

On 11/29/2020 at 8:05 PM, SAR I said:

Sam Darnold is a terrible quarterback and is gone next year.

Adam Gase is rebuilding this organization from the ground-up and will be back next year.

Your SOJF whining is a waste of your time.

SAR I

You are half right, Darnold is terrible but you must have been hypnotized by the Gase stare at his hiring press conference if you think he will be back next year. He was a bad hire, failure in Miami and a failure here. Not whining just the truth, you should try it.

On 11/30/2020 at 3:31 PM, SAR I said:

SAR I

Guess you slept through the Rex Ryan era then. ;-)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Church01 said:

You are half right, Darnold is terrible but you must have been hypnotized by the Gase stare at his hiring press conference if you think he will be back next year. He was a bad hire, failure in Miami and a failure here. Not whining just the truth, you should try it.

If Adam Gase weren't coming back next year the players wouldn't be giving 200% and losing close games they have no business competing in.

If Adam Gase weren't coming back next year ownership would have sacrificed him to the wolves or given him the 'ultimatum' weeks ago.

If Adam Gase weren't coming back next year he wouldn't have signed up for the housecleaning fire-sale that occurred at mid-season.

Adam Gase is coming back next year.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

If Adam Gase weren't coming back next year the players wouldn't be giving 200% and losing close games they have no business competing in.

If Adam Gase weren't coming back next year ownership would have sacrificed him to the wolves or given him the 'ultimatum' weeks ago.

If Adam Gase weren't coming back next year he wouldn't have signed up for the housecleaning fire-sale that occurred at mid-season.

Adam Gase is coming back next year.

SAR I

players dont try for the coaches they try because they get paid to play and want to get paid again

gase is terrible and he needs to go but in his defense Joe D gave him crap to work with-tore about the roster that he won 6 games with-the irony is Joe D is getting a pass for the terrible roster-it was some how the plan all along to tank but Gase is being judged by a team with a lack of talent all over the field-that is me being devils advocate there .

15 minutes ago, kmnj said:

players dont try for the coaches they try because they get paid to play and want to get paid again

That's a rather cold take considering what Jets fans have seen the past 30 years.  Jets players in this situation customarily stop trying, fake injuries, avoid physical contact, smoke weed, get DUI's, and take vacations on Sundays.

17 minutes ago, kmnj said:

gase is terrible and he needs to go but in his defense Joe D gave him crap to work with-tore about the roster that he won 6 games with-the irony is Joe D is getting a pass for the terrible roster-it was some how the plan all along to tank but Gase is being judged by a team with a lack of talent all over the field-that is me being devils advocate there

We have to stay the course and give these two another few seasons to undo a decade of damage to this roster.  Ridding the locker room of the Idzik and Maccagnan mess is going to take awhile.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

That's a rather cold take considering what Jets fans have seen the past 30 years.  Jets players in this situation customarily stop trying, fake injuries, avoid physical contact, smoke weed, get DUI's, and take vacations on Sundays.

We have to stay the course and give these two another few seasons to undo a decade of damage to this roster.  Ridding the locker room of the Idzik and Maccagnan mess is going to take awhile.  

SAR I

Beat that dead horse SORE I!  Beat it good!

94ECC118-95BD-4505-95D1-08E5A03E812A.jpeg