Joe Douglas has to take Justin Fields if they can't get Lawrence

Jetsbb

Just now, Matt39 said:

Right, and a big time coaching candidate is going to dictate who picks the players. The Jets are at a crossroads here. Staring at 0-16, you need to change up the power structure internally. This franchise has been horrific for a decade now. Arranged marriages between first time GM's and coaches with no one really in charge has to finally change if they want Lawrence to work. Douglas seems like a fine football guy, but he's not a point person for an organization and the Jets knew that.

All douglas needs to be is a good drafter and cap manager and he’ll be here for a long time.  If they are lucky enough to get Lawrence they should have enough viable HC candidates that douglas and the new HC can coexist.  They certainly have enough draft picks in 2021 and 2022 to restock the team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If you think the GM is 100% going to be here after going 0-16 you're not really thinking it through. No one survives 0-16.

He signed a 7 year deal. He’s gonna get a shot at righting the ship...he had 1 draft.  Be realistic.  He’s gonna pick the coach and the players next year. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, johnnyjet said:

He signed a 7 year deal. He’s gonna get a shot at righting the ship...he had 1 draft.  Be realistic.  He’s gonna pick the coach and the players next year. 

Not sure how is deal is structured (the Jets keep these things under wraps) but Gase had a big part in his hiring. Who knows what the new coach thinks (or what the organization actually thinks of JD once Gase is gone).

• Thumb Down 3

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

As it stands now the most likely scenario is the Jets have the 2nd pick. Painful Sunday after painful Sunday will result in loss after loss only to have the Patriots lay down the final week. This disastrous and predictable scenario is going to be devastating. Douglas better not get cute thinking he can stick with Darnold though.

Even if I bought the idea that BB would lay down for a historically bad 0-15 team (I don't), I'm not convinced this team would definitely beat New England's backups. 

Heck, the first time we played them, they had numerous guys out, we miraculously scored several offensive touchdowns, and still lost. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Even if I bought the idea that BB would lay down for a historically bad 0-15 team (I don't), I'm not convinced this team would definitely beat New England's backups. 

Heck, the first time we played them, they had numerous guys out, we miraculously scored several offensive touchdowns, and still lost. 

And that was with Flacco.  With darnold there’s no way they’re winning in NE.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

As it stands now the most likely scenario is the Jets have the 2nd pick. Painful Sunday after painful Sunday will result in loss after loss only to have the Patriots lay down the final week. This disastrous and predictable scenario is going to be devastating. Douglas better not get cute thinking he can stick with Darnold though.

Baseed on what exactly, that as it stands today they have the number one and will be underdogs over the rest of the entire schedule or because of some mindless paranoia that says BB gives us a game

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not sure how is deal is structured (the Jets keep these things under wraps) but Gase had a big part in his hiring. Who knows what the new coach thinks (or what the organization actually thinks of JD once Gase is gone).

Gase probably gave the Douglas hire a thumbs up given they knew each other from their Chicago days together.  So?  That doesnt make the hire a Gase hire or that JD owes his hiring to Gase.  Douglas was the hot candidate for the next open GM spot with Houston desperately trying to hire him.  

Douglas doesnt strike me as an idiot who would put his ass on the line for a HC who won 7 games over 2 seasons with a 0-16 season on his resume.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There is zero, and I mean ZERO, chance Douglas is fired.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Baseed on what exactly, that as it stands today they have the number one and will be underdogs over the rest of the entire schedule or because of some mindless paranoia that says BB gives us a game

Jags refuse to give us any breathing room. If it comes down to having to lose to the Patriots in the last game than I think its more likely than not Belichick does what he does better than anyone else. That is why the Jets have a better chance to be picking 2nd than first.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Jags refuse to give us any breathing room. If it comes down to having to lose to the Patriots in the last game than I think its more likely than not Belichick does what he does better than anyone else. That is why the Jets have a better chance to be picking 2nd than first.

They dont have to give us anything, we just have to keep playing like we're playing.

The Jags are playing closer games, have at least as much of a chance of getting a win over the last 5 games as the Jets,'

One more time, why do people believe Belichicks players will lose to us and our team cant tank the last game if they go into it 0-15?  People make it sound like there arent players involved that Belichick will throw a game to the Jets but we cant do the same.  

Paranoia is strong

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If 0-16 happens he will 100% be fired.

No.

No he won’t.  

I’m not a betting man when it comes to things like this, but how about a small bet of $25 to a charity of the winners choice?  That is how confident I am.  Bet is nullified if 0-16 doesn’t happen.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They dont have to give us anything, we just have to keep playing like we're playing.

The Jags are playing closer games, have at least as much of a chance of getting a win over the last 5 games as the Jets,'

One more time, why do people believe Belichicks players will lose to us and our team cant tank the last game if they go into it 0-15?  People make it sound like there arent players involved that Belichick will throw a game to the Jets but we cant do the same.  

Paranoia is strong

It just sucks going crazy having to have every game go your way only to lose it the last week. I just have to accept its going to happen so it doesn't hurt as much when it inevitably does.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

It just sucks going crazy having to have every game go your way only to lose it the last week. I just have to accept its going to happen so it doesn't hurt as much when it inevitably does.

So you lose the last game, sit everyone.  Its not hard and unfortunately has to be done at that point.  Its not like telling the team to lose out with 12 to go.  You tank the last game.  Fire Gase and make the equipment guy the HC

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No.

No he won’t.  

I’m not a betting man when it comes to things like this, but how about a small bet of $25 to a charity of the winners choice?  That is how confident I am.  Bet is nullified if 0-16 doesn’t happen.

Pauline has been hinting at Douglas not being a sure thing for a bit now. He speaks on it at 12:30.

I dont see the point in betting on this. 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pauline has been hinting at Douglas not being a sure thing for a bit now. He speaks on it at 12:30.

Lol, you're really going to listen to Pauline? He's not some 100% expert.

And the fact you aren't willing to bet him on It means even if you don't really believe with a near 100% certain that Douglas is getting fired. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Matt39 said:

Pauline also said that he expects Douglas to, ultimately, be back, in an article he wrote about the future of the franchise.

Do you want to take the bet or not?  I’m confident in my stance.  Doesn’t sound like you are.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

Pauline also said that he expects Douglas to, ultimately, be back, in an article he wrote about the future of the franchise.

Do you want to take the bet or not?  I’m confident in my stance.  Doesn’t sound like you are.

I shouldnt have said 100%. But a GM has never survived a winless season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Belichick isn’t gonna lay down to an 0-15 Jets team lmao. The guy has some sense of personal pride 

Yup.  Besdies, Pats are 5-6.  They could get to .500 next week if they beat the Chargers.  With the extra WC team this year, the Pats may still be in the hunt heading into week 17.  

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

The Jags look like a MUCH better team right now.