Joe Douglas has to take Justin Fields if they can't get Lawrence

Jetsbb

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because its a losing bet

Maybe. Again, 0-16 would typically result is massive, sweeping changes. Douglas may not really deserve to be fired, but sweeping changes always result in some collateral damage. There will be massive changes with the team after 0-16, that is a safe bet.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Yes, because 0-16 is so bad it rarely happens genius.

So bet.

I'll do it, you wont.

He had one draft, 0-16 wasnt built on Douglas's moves.  He had a really nice draft.  He has opened $90 mil of cap space to work with

Yeah, Genius

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I shouldnt have said 100%. But a GM has never survived a winless season. 

The largest problems with the team are the Head Coach, that Douglas didn’t hire, the QB, that Douglas didn’t draft, and the lack of talent on the roster, due the previous regime, which Douglas has only had 1 off-season to replace, and the returns have been, mostly, promising when it comes to the talent he has has brought in.  

Going winless hasn’t happened often and hasn’t happened with a scenario like this before. Douglas asked for, and was given, a 6 year deal because he made it clear that he was not going to be able to fix Maccagnan’s mess in one off-season.  

If at any point you feel more confident in your prediction, my offer still stands and we can revisit this.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

If 0-16 happens he will 100% be fired.

God I hate these “100%” type statements. It’s so ridiculous. JD is signed for something like 4-5 more years, has only had one full offseason and half of another, and just had the most successful draft in at least a decade. His FA acquisitions have been 50/50 with reason to suspect he wasn’t going full-bore and the Adams trade was masterful.  He hasn’t gotten every move right and has definitely screwed the pooch a few times but he’s also the best GM the Jets have had in a long time. There’s no such thing as 100% when it comes to this stuff. Hell, there’s not even a 100% chance that Gates gets fired. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The largest problems with the team are the Head Coach, that Douglas didn’t hire, the QB, that Douglas didn’t draft, and the lack of talent on the roster, due the previous regime, which Douglas has only had 1 off-season to replace, and the returns have been, mostly, promising when it comes to the talent he has has brought in.  

Going winless hasn’t happened often and hasn’t happened with a scenario like this before. Douglas asked for, and was given, a 6 year deal because he made it clear that he was not going to be able to fix Maccagnan’s mess in one off-season.  

If at any point you feel more confident in your prediction, my offer still stands and we can revisit this.

Right, but collateral damage happens when an organization is this broken. Keeping Douglas and hiring another coordinator isnt fixing this. The President needs to be fired, the Johnson's need to change everything and finally put someone actually in charge by actually paying someone.

Just now, Lith said:

At 12:30, all Pauline is talking about is that Douglas was not Jets first choice.  THey wanted George Paton of the Vikings, but he turned them down.  At 14 mins, Pauline is asked if Douglas is in jeopardy.  "He is absolutely safe.  There is no jeopardy there."

Also recorded on September 30th. You are underestimating the significance of 0-16. I dont care how good Becton is or might be, that typically gets everyone canned.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You are banking on a GM being brought back after going 0-16. Jets fans deserve this franchise.

Good thing you aren't in charge, you'd just fired anybody if they didn't get the results you wanted super quickly in an unrealistic timeline lmaoo.

No, we just realize Douglas isn't mostly the reason they would go 0-16 if it did happen. This mess was created way before him. 

Fact is, Douglas isn't going anywhere. As with the other poster, I'll easily make a bet on that. Seems like you won't, though. 

• Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

As it stands now the most likely scenario is the Jets have the 2nd pick. Painful Sunday after painful Sunday will result in loss after loss only to have the Patriots lay down the final week. This disastrous and predictable scenario is going to be devastating. Douglas better not get cute thinking he can stick with Darnold though.

If Sam doesn't start playing better he will be sitting on the couch next to me if doesn't play better than he has...

The Jets are not going to stick with Sam if he plays like has up until this point, nor should they.....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Good thing you aren't in charge, you'd just fired anybody if they didn't get the results you wanted super quickly in an unrealistic timeline lmaoo.

No, we just realize Douglas isn't mostly the reason they would go 0-16 if it did happen. This mess was created way before him. 

Fact is, Douglas isn't going anywhere. As with the other poster, I'll easily make a bet on that. Seems like you won't, though. 

Team is gonna go 0-16 and you're pounding your chest that there's no way the GM could ever lose his job over it. Think about that for a minute. This is NFL, 0-16...big changes happen. You think the Jets are going to let Douglas run a coaching search on his own? lol.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Also recorded on September 30th. You are underestimating the significance of 0-16. I dont care how good Becton is or might be, that typically gets everyone canned.

Wait you post a link to a vid that you claim is Pauline hinting Douglas's job is in jeopardy and then say it was recorded on Sept 30th making the fact that he actually said "He is absolutely safe.  There is no jeopardy there." meaningless?

What???

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Right, but collateral damage happens when an organization is this broken. Keeping Douglas and hiring another coordinator isnt fixing this. The President needs to be fired, the Johnson's need to change everything and finally put someone actually in charge by actually paying someone.

Douglas is getting paid top tier GM money.  His contract was 6 years, 3 million per year, putting him at the top of the league, so they have already shown the willingness to pay someone to be in charge.  

They are looking to lure Matt Campbell and other top tier college coaches away from their programs, which they are aware will cost them a pretty penny.  

Even if they can’t get those guys, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with going after a coordinator if it’s the right guy (ex: Joe Brady, Arthur Smith, Brian Daboll, etc.).  

They may go after Harbaugh or Doug Pederson if they are fired, and that’s not going to be a cheap contract.

Douglas told CJ that he wanted more money poured into the scouting department, and they did just that.

Only Manish Mehta pushes this “salary restriction” nonsense, and we now know that he, literally, pushes lies when he doesn’t get his way.  It’s been refuted by the owner, the GM, the other CREDENTIALED members of the beat, and even the Head Coach.  This narrative is lazy and needs to stop being peddled.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

You think they're firing a GM on a 6 year deal, after one offseason?

Your disdain for Douglas is well known, but this feels like a huge reach.

I dont have any disdain for Douglas. This is just the 20k foot view looking at a broken organization staring at literal rock-bottom. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Matt Millen was canned by Detroit 3 weeks into their 0-16 season.  After 7 losing seasons with the team.  Hardly comparable to Douglas..  Sashi Brown was 1-31 in two years as GM with the Browns.  But he had also been with the organization for 5 years.  Neither situation is comparable. 

0-16 or not.  With 4.5 years remaining on his contract, I would be shocked if JD is shown the door after this season.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Team is gonna go 0-16 and you're pounding your chest that there's no way the GM could ever lose his job over it. Think about that for a minute. This is NFL, 0-16...big changes happen. You think the Jets are going to let Douglas run a coaching search on his own? lol.

He's for sure going to be involved in the coaching search. And if the Johnsons are smart, they will indeed let him do it on his own. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You are banking on a GM being brought back after going 0-16. Jets fans deserve this franchise.

So, if we went 3-13 that would be any different?

Douglas, rightfully, didn't allocate any resources towards trying to be competitive this year.  The difference of a couple of wins is completely meaningless.

Are the draft picks good, is there a plan to improve at QB, were there any glaring mistakes?  These are really the only questions to ask regarding Douglas.

So far, all three questions have solid enough answers for me.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont have any disdain for Douglas. This is just the 20k foot view looking at a broken organization staring at literal rock-bottom. 

Dude, you've been on the guy for not doing pressers from a few months in.  It's fine.  Maybe you'll be proven right.  But, you certainly have not given him any rope.

• Upvote 4