Future 2021 HC and QB

Jets4realz

2 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Fair enough on Roman and agreed on Jackson. Roman to me is not the guy for this particular job.  It will not surprise me though if he's at the top of the list assuming the connection with Douglas.

Any recommendations ??? Everyone wants the "next Sean McVay" but how many of them are there ??? I'm not sure who there is out there or who I want, but here is my list of qualifications.

1. Must be able to build and run an entire program.  Be the boss of the OC, DC and STC.  We don't want a guy that blusters about his offense and forgets about defense or vice versa.  We want a bona fied team leader and administrator. 

2. Must be able to adjust and adapt.  Any coach with a shoe-box offense that he ports from place to place like Gase is going to fail.  You need to be creative, dynamic and flexible to tailor your system to the strengths of  your players.

3. Must have personality and temperament and maturity to stay steady and stable regardless of circumstances.  Emotional reactionaries often loose the respect of the media and the players.  Not saying I want a guy on Sominex the way Todd Boles was.  Energy and enthusiasm (Pete Carol) is good. You just done wan't to see any fear or panic in your HC even if they lose a gut wrenching game or have a string of unexpected losses.  Gotta be steady and even. 

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Jets4realz said:

What would you think about a Brian schottenhiemer and Trevor Lawrence tandem look like for the Jets 2021. Brian former Jet has been a solid play caller every where he goes. He now with the Seahawks and Russel playing his best football. Put him with Trev who know probably can change this franchise around. My only concern with brian is can players buy into him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I put it out there a few weeks ago, said I would interview him to see if he has HC aspirations and what his ideas for an offense and team are.  People hate our ex coordinators and cant think about it with an open mind.  And they think he was the mastermind of ground and pound instead of Rex

Shottys been around long enough to put together a good staff without being old.  He has led Sanchez and Bradford to some form of success and now R Wilson has been playing his best ball under Shotty

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I put it out there a few weeks ago.  People hate our ex coordinators and cant think about it with an open mind.

Shottys been around long enough to put together a good staff without being old.  He has led Sanchez and Bradford to some form of success and now R Wilson has been playing his best ball under Shotty

You must love those empty backfield sets on 3rd and short.

Just now, peebag said:

You must love those empty backfield sets on 3rd and short.

Yeah, theyre almost 10 years old now.  

Like I said, Id interview him, didnt say I necessarily would hire him.  Or anyone for that matter without picking their minds 

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Any recommendations ??? Everyone wants the "next Sean McVay" but how many of them are there ??? I'm not sure who there is out there or who I want, but here is my list of qualifications.

1. Must be able to build and run an entire program.  Be the boss of the OC, DC and STC.  We don't want a guy that blusters about his offense and forgets about defense or vice versa.  We want a bona fied team leader and administrator. 

2. Must be able to adjust and adapt.  Any coach with a shoe-box offense that he ports from place to place like Gase is going to fail.  You need to be creative, dynamic and flexible to tailor your system to the strengths of  your players.

3. Must have personality and temperament and maturity to stay steady and stable regardless of circumstances.  Emotional reactionaries often loose the respect of the media and the players.  Not saying I want a guy on Sominex the way Todd Boles was.  Energy and enthusiasm (Pete Carol) is good. You just done wan't to see any fear or panic in your HC even if they lose a gut wrenching game or have a string of unexpected losses.  Gotta be steady and even. 

MATT CAMPBELL!!!!!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

No thanks, I'd prefer guys who's dad didn't get them their job(s). I'm sure Wilson is eternally indebted to Brian for his invaluable coaching.

This is a bit of a tricky situation though, no?

On the one hand, we blame coaching for destroying our QBs.  We've done it since I've been posting on these websites.  On the other hand, Schotty is credited by Brees and Rivers for his role in their development, and now running a very competent offense with Wilson.

Are we saying Schotty forgot how to coach in the middle there, with Mark Sanchez?  It couldn't be that all these guys generally know a lot about football, and from there, outside of in-game strategic errors, it's generally up to the talent to perform - to execute the plays effectively.

I mean, earlier this season, you even had Bill Belichick admit that it's really all about the talent.

When you give a GM 5 years, and thereafter, there are less than 5 players left on the team from his drafts, and most are out of the league, coaching no longer matters.  I have little doubt Schotty could win a Super Bowl with the right team.  Probably true of most of these guys.  It's football, not rocket surgery.

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I agree with all three points. Honestly, I dont know. Maybe Cambell, Riley, Harbaugh?

In my humble and meaningless opinion you have to get one of these four. 

Campbell - Good program builder in college

Brady - Has shown that anywhere he goes, the offense excels

Harbaugh - His NFL success is undeniable (So is his a-hole persona)

Daboll - Same as Brady above 

Other possibilities: Fitzgerald, Riley 

Absolutely not: Roman, Bienemy, Schotty

I wonder if there are any "out of left field" candidates in the mold of Joe Judge and Sean McVay

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Want Joe Brady or Matt Campbell would not be totally crushed with Daboll

Do not want any part of Harbaugh or Bienamy or Roman or Caldwell thus it ill probably be one of these guys I do not want.

Or Pat Fitzgerald whom there is/were rumors about already: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/11/27/mailbag-jets-head-coach-candidates-pat-fitzgerald

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

This is a bit of a tricky situation though, no?

On the one hand, we blame coaching for destroying our QBs.  We've done it since I've been posting on these websites.  On the other hand, Schotty is credited by Brees and Rivers for his role in their development, and now running a very competent offense with Wilson.

Are we saying Schotty forgot how to coach in the middle there, with Mark Sanchez?  It couldn't be that all these guys generally know a lot about football, and from there, outside of in-game strategic errors, it's generally up to the talent to perform - to execute the plays effectively.

I mean, earlier this season, you even had Bill Belichick admit that it's really all about the talent.

When you give a GM 5 years, and thereafter, there are less than 5 players left on the team from his drafts, and most are out of the league, coaching no longer matters.  I have little doubt Schotty could win a Super Bowl with the right team.  Probably true of most of these guys.  It's football, not rocket surgery.

Not tricky at all. Brees, River, and Wilson are all very talented accomplished QBs because of who they are. Very little if any of it has to do with Schotty making them who they are. Schotty is fortunate to have those guys on his resume, not the other way around. Ever notice how coaches/teachers seemingly work miracles with talented guys, but rarely get much from guys who don't essentially make them look good.

I don't blame Gase for how Sam is playing, many guys had questions about Sam coming into the NFL, just as I wasn't going to credit Gase if Sam was doing great. The play calling may not be great, but Sam is leaving a lot of yards and point on the field as various videos have shown. 

Schotty has a job probably due to his last name and not rocking the boat. Being an adult for some time now in a career it makes one laugh how often people credit each other, useless as they often are, solely to not rock the boat and for networking purposes. I could be totally off base, but I remember hating his play calling. You know 3rd and 8 and every wr runs a curl 5 yards short of the sticks.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, theyre almost 10 years old now.  
Like I said, Id interview him, didnt say I necessarily would hire him.  Or anyone for that matter without picking their minds 

My point exactly! Trying to weigh every option here as harbargh has not been in the nfl for years now. Eric bienamy don’t see the attraction there being that Andy Reid runs that team with mahommes. Brian to me is interesting looking at his X’s and O’s having different types of QBs over the years and having some success. Finally has elite QB and russel is having his best statistical year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, THE BARON said:

No way do I want a rookie QB to have anything to do with selecting the staff.  Not a chance in the bloody pit of hell.  I *REALLY* want Trevor Lawrence, but no way in hell do you give a player any idea that he has anything to do with who will coach him.  Draft him, pay him and develop him under a strong coach that the GM and only the GM picks.  

I dont know who the next HC will be, but I think we have the right guy in Joe Douglas to get us a good one.

It's important to find a Head Coach who will mesh well with the new QB. I don't think there's anything wrong with talking to his agent and seeing who he would feel comfortable with. Just my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It's important to find a Head Coach who will mesh well with the new QB. I don't think there's anything wrong with talking to his agent and seeing who he would feel comfortable with. Just my opinion. 

as long as the gm lets the agent know who is running things, i have no problem with the gm collecting as much info as is possible