Gase's closest ally on the beat says Jets should make a move

AFJF

Brian Costello was highly critical of Gase early last season and literally went from "This is a disaster" to "No way the Jets should fire Adam Gase".  It was a quick heel turn that was clearly in favor of getting the inside track on interviews.

After today, even Costello is asking if it's time to move on.

(2) Brian Costello on Twitter: "You have to wonder if Christopher Johnson has seen enough after today and is ready to fire Adam Gase and get the process of finding a new HC started. #nyj" / Twitter

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Gase is the worst coach of my NYJ fandom, but at this point, I really want him coaching all 16 games. 

I'd fear the classic interim coach bump and a meaningless win 

That’s the whole point . The beat guys want no part of us getting TL. The last thing they want is a successful, drama free Jet team. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Fact is, we can all want him gone as badly as possible, but you can't risk somebody coming in, firing up the team and stealing a win down the stretch.  Gase is the guy you need if you want to get to 0-16.

This is right.

It would be insane to roll the dice at this point when so much is on the line in getting TL.  They're walking a tight-rope right now.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jolot said:

That’s the whole point . The beat guys want no part of us getting TL. The last thing they want is a successful, drama free Jet team. 

There is no anti-Jets media conspiracy. Just a bias against terrible football teams.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Gase is the worst coach of my NYJ fandom, but at this point, I really want him coaching all 16 games. 

This is true.  The Jets brass is going to make sure Adam Gase never has a head coaching job in the NFL again.  They were fleeced by his and Peyton Manning's  bs.  They want him to go down in flames and want to acquire the number one pick in the draft at the same time.  

6 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Every beat writer should want someone like TL to write about next season.  

I cant believe any beat writer enjoys going to work covering a bad team with no chance of winning and no personality to write about.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Your weekly reminder that Adam Gase has a higher career winning percentage as an NFL HC than the execrable Gregg Williams. 

But if the Jets go 0-16 that will make Gregg Williams the only DC to go 0-16 TWICE!!!!!!

That record will NEVER be broken!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Every beat writer should want someone like TL to write about next season.  

I cant believe any beat writer enjoys going to work covering a bad team with no chance of winning and no personality to write about.  

They’ll try and tear Lawrence down before the ink is dry on his contract. The business has changed . These guys aren’t Jet fans . They don’t care about winning. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Brian Costello was highly critical of Gase early last season and literally went from "This is a disaster" to "No way the Jets should fire Adam Gase".  It was a quick heel turn that was clearly in favor of getting the inside track on interviews.

After today, even Costello is asking if it's time to move on.

(2) Brian Costello on Twitter: "You have to wonder if Christopher Johnson has seen enough after today and is ready to fire Adam Gase and get the process of finding a new HC started. #nyj" / Twitter

LOL  AFTER TODAY??!?!?!?!?!? Fug some of these characters are so late to the party.  The party is over and the guy is showing up with his box of wine.

Ever since the Johnsons have owned this team, they have repeatedly let a clearly soon-to-be-fired head coach ride out the remainder of the season.  There's no reason to think this would be any different.  There's obviously absolutely no one on this current coaching staff that they would seriously consider for the job, so there's no point in using these next few weeks as any sort of tryout for an interim HC.  I can't wait until Gase is gone, but at this stage there's nothing they'll get out of doing it a month earlier.  There's nothing stopping them from starting to do any planning / research on their end even while Gase is still here.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Jolot said:

They’ll try and tear Lawrence down before the ink is dry on his contract. The business has changed . These guys aren’t Jet fans . They don’t care about winning. 

No way.  The business hasnt changed.  They would much rather cover a winning team than a losing team, they dont lose their jobs with a winning team or make more money with a losing team.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No way.  The business hasnt changed.  They would much rather cover a winning team than a losing team, they dont lose their jobs with a winning team or make more money with a losing team.  

We can respectfully agree to disagree . I remember Francesca saying once ( make fun of him all you want the guy knows the business ) that the Mets collapse of 2007 was better for business than the Giants winning the super bowl. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jolot said:

We can respectfully agree to disagree . I remember Francesca saying once ( make fun of him all you want the guy knows the business ) that the Mets collapse of 2007 was better for business than the Giants winning the super bowl. 

I remember a mets beat writer saying that the beat writers would be much happier covering a winning team than coming to cover the team every game knowing there was no chance of winning.

Sorry, the Mets collapse of 2007 didnt put an extra dime of money in the WRITERS pockets than winning and going to cover the team in the playoffs.  So yeah, I dont agree with taking that comment and running with it, it makes no sense that the writers benefit from their jobs ending on the last day of the season.

I can see keeping gase if only to secure the pick one but what I saw today and then in his presser is a guy that’s embarrassing the johnson’s.  I have to think that’s the one thing those boys can’t tolerate.  I just don’t see how they can bring him back under any circumstances.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Jolot said:

But they care about clicks, views, advertising revenue, etc. No one is interested in Jets content at the moment.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He is truly horrible, but let me suggest Rich Kotite, Lou Holtz and Charley Winner as a few contenders for the title.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I can see keeping gase if only to secure the pick one but what I saw today and then in his presser is a guy that’s embarrassing the johnson’s.  I have to think that’s the one thing those boys can’t tolerate.  I just don’t see how they can bring him back under any circumstances.

Please.  The JOHNSONS are the biggest embarrassment to the Johnsons. 

Talentless, clueless morons. 

3 minutes ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

He is truly horrible, but let me suggest Rich Kotite, Lou Holtz and Charley Winner as a few contenders for the title.

I'm not old enough for Holtz or Winner, but the Kotite era Jets served as my introduction to this wonderful franchise. My first year watching at all was 95 and my first year watching closely was 96. This team is worse than either of Kotite's teams (95 or 96). 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

No. Gase is a bigger embarrassment than any of them, for a plethora of reasons. 

Nobody had ever heard of Charlie Winner,  and he wasn't fired by a division rival for failure immediately prior to getting hired by the Jets...

Rich Kotite coached at a time when defenses were still allowed to play...

And remind me....did Lou Holtz (or any of them) show up to his intro presser Adderalled out of his gourd?

tenor.gif.e51c0fea00eb3490acbca417526715a2.gif

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm not old enough for Holtz or Winner, but the Kotite era Jets served as my introduction to this wonderful franchise. My first year watching at all was 95 and my first year watching closely was 96. This team is worse than either of Kotite's teams (95 or 96). 

I agree with you about how bad this team is. I would put Kotite in the lead for suckiness because that team had a lot more talent. Parcells came in the next year and almost made the playoffs with a lot of the same players.

• Upvote 2