Game Observations (MIA)

KRL

7 hours ago, KRL said:

Well I was totally wrong, after the last two close losses I was
worried the Jets would win with Sam Darnold coming back from
injury.  Not!!!  Another totally inept offensive performance and
more regression by Darnold continues the "Tank For Trevor":

- I have never seen such an unimaginative run scheme in my life.
No motion, no misdirection just continued stretch handoffs to the
left or right.  When Peyton Manning was in his prime in DEN that
was fine, it doesn't work here

- With the game 13-3 for the longest time the offense "wet the bed"
multiple times:

* Missed chip FG
 * An INT inside FG range
 * A two yard loss on a 4th & 1 in FG range

- Continued growth by Denzel Mims (4 rec / 67 yds) against pretty
good CB's.  He picked up his first offensive pass interference as
he attacked a deep ball and the CB at the same time.  But as I said
before I would rather he be physical and back him off than be a soft
finesse WR and hope he can fight

- Another game which makes me want to keep Breshad Perriman as a #4
WR next year.  Good deep ball tracking and acrobatic catches (4 rec /
79 yds) once again

- Multiple weeks off and Sam Darnold was the same if not worse.  Other
than a couple of deep ball connections to Perriman he was bad (16/27,
197 yds, 2 INT).  Both INT's were mindless and shouldn't have been thrown
and when the defense turned the ball over to Darnold in good field
position he went 3 & out.  In my opinion Darnold's stock is so low we'll
be fortunate to get a 2021 #3 for him.  Sad that its going to end this 
way

- Strong effort by the defense as they held MIA to zero points for the 
majority of the second half.  Generating 4 sacks and two turnovers but
the offense didn't hold up their end

- Another big effort by Foley Fatukasi at NT with 4 Tkls, Sack, TFL
and 2 QB Hits

- Huge game by Quinnen Williams with 7 Tkls, 1.5 Sacks, TFL, 2 Pass
Blocks, 3 QB Hits and a Forced Fumble 

It's just shocking to see game after game of terrible planning and even worse execution. You can literally see players are disgusted.

A couple of other things:

- Even though the secondary was torched its good to see Bryce Hall (6 Tkls, 1 PD),
Lamar Jackson (5 Tkls) and Javelin Guidry (2 Tkls) getting increased reps.  Hopefully
they and Bless Austin (when he returns) can make plays in the final 5 games.  If not
at least they're getting experience for the next defensive staff

- Good to see Pat Elflein at guard replacing Alex Lewis.  He was decent, with his
draft status if he can improve over the final 5 games he would be a nice upgrade
at either LG or RG 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

How did Becton look? 

I usually focus on him every play but today I was so distracted by Sam's atrocious performance he completely had my mind blank throughout my player evaluation. 

I didnt watch as much of the game as usual, but what I saw of Becton was the same - dominant physical play.  With another year of being coached up by Duke Manyweather, Becton is going to be an elite player.

JD also has the makings of a solid defensive front with the way QW and Foley have been playing.  Those are 2 excellent DTs who can rush the passer and stop the run.  We need to somehow had some level of speed/Edge presence to the LB corp, and hopefully have Mosley back and that will be a solid foundation for the front 7.

• Upvote 1

Miami fans must be like, thank god the Jets owners are so stupid! I despise Miami & their fans, and this is like a double whammy. 

We hire their loser coach that they all wanted skinned alive, and they now beaten us both times by a combined score of 44-3. Not only that but we have not scored a TD against them in 24 possessions!!! 

Just when I thought we could never go back to Geno Smith years, I'm starting to think Geno is probably a better QB than Sam Darnold. That 1st pick 6 was an omen in his rookie year. Haunted again by the Jets mistakes in the draft. 

• Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, Jetster said:

With Foley & QW inside, if we can find some pass rushers on the edge & a #1 CB it will change the entire defense. 

Darnold is just terrible. He’s lost all feel for the game. 

We are or have to take either Lawrence or Fields. If somehow we get a win it will have to be Fields then unless Jags win a game, which may be hard pressed.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Serious question: Could you get a 3rd round pick before the draft next year for Darnold?  

I mean, I get it, potential and all....but man, he looks TERRIBLE

I think you have to hope there's a team out there that LOVED him as a prospect and overpays because they think his failures are all on the Jets. It's not impossible, as bad as he's looked.

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It is not just that the run scheme is so unimaginative it's that it is also incredibly predictable. Gase runs like 90% of the time on 2nd and 10 and like 60% of the time on 1st and ten and seemingly 70% of the time on 3rd and long (which is incredibly frustrating) Was literally anyone surprised by the play call on 4th down? I mean it's just incredibly bad, and completely bewildering. Peyton Manning was successful with that basic play because he audibled into it against 4 and 5 man fronts.

I get that Gase sucks and everything, but that is a lot of percents for a team that has 350 pass attempts to 260 rushes. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that Gase sucks and everything, but that is a lot of percents for a team that has 350 pass attempts to 260 rushes. 

I wonder if you looked at 1st half vs 2nd half what those numbers would be. By the second half we are usually down 20 points

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

I wonder if you looked at 1st half vs 2nd half what those numbers would be. By the second half we are usually down 20 points

That's true, but the criticism was based on running when it is long yardage for a first down, which would seem to coincide with running when losing.  I just think it is a bit overblown.  I fully agree that our plays/playcalling suck, I just think that run/pass ratio is the least of our problems.  Believe me, I am sure that I was cursing as much as johnnysd about that predictable 4th down call to Gore. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

How did Becton look? 

I usually focus on him every play but today I was so distracted by Sam's atrocious performance he completely had my mind blank throughout my player evaluation. 

He looked very big. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BCJet said:

I didnt watch as much of the game as usual, but what I saw of Becton was the same - dominant physical play.  With another year of being coached up by Duke Manyweather, Becton is going to be an elite player.

JD also has the makings of a solid defensive front with the way QW and Foley have been playing.  Those are 2 excellent DTs who can rush the passer and stop the run.  We need to somehow had some level of speed/Edge presence to the LB corp, and hopefully have Mosley back and that will be a solid foundation for the front 7.

Bingo.

The defense is closer than we think to being very good.  If the Jets can add an Edge presence to the Front 7 and a group that already should include QW, Fatukasi, Mosley, and hopefully a fully recovered Zuniga (with a full offseason program) it could be really, really good.  Keep Maye, hope that Davis progresses at FS, and add a CB to the group of Hall, Bless Austin, Maulet, Jackson, etc. and suddenly the whole D looks Top 10.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Gates and Co are the worst coaching staff I have seen in the 50+ years I have been watching NFL football.

There are physically talented players on the Jets, including  Sam, who have been ruined by this staff. Every hour they spend around these players just makes the hole deeper. Jets need to stop digging ASAP.

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When was Leaf good?  He started his time in the NFL with a fight with a reporter his 1st training camp 

Not saying this to be contrarian - but essentially Ryan leaf was Trevor Lawrence in college. Which is why I hate the can't miss prospect nonsense. You never know what happens when a player moves to the next level of competition and has Millions of dollars at their disposal. 

• Post of the Week 1

On 11/29/2020 at 10:41 PM, jetstream23 said:

Yup.  Good guy but now a bad QB.  The Jets did him no favors the past 2 years, but this team is going to move on and find someone new.  It’s amazing that Sam’s best days were under Jeremy Bates as he finished that 2018 season.  The precipitous fall began the second Gase walked in the door, Darnold got mono, the OLine fell apart and then the offensive environment just seemed to become toxic.

We can only pray that whoever the Jets bring in next gets surrounded by some good coaching and good players.  This franchise can’t afford to f**k up two Top 3 QBs in a row.

I missed your post earlier!

This precisely what happened and it is sad and what is worse was PREDCITABLE!!