Why I don’t think Sam Darnold will make it in the NFL

GreekJet

He’s just not a professional Quarterback. There is talent there (arm strength, accuracy, functional mobility), but he can’t execute a basic function of the position that even some high school kids have mastered.

Darnold watches the pass rush and doesn’t step up in the pocket. Christian Hackenberg also did this and it was part of the reason he failed so badly. 

When do you ever see Sam stay in the pocket and deliver a strike right before taking a hit? Fitzpatrick will do this and it’s why he’s had a fifteen year career in the NFL. 

The NFL has exposed this kid badly. Blitz him all day and he can’t make you pay. That’s because he doesn’t keep his eyes downfield and won’t step up in the pocket. He either looks to dump it off quickly underneath or vacates the pocket which kills the play. 

Flacco was actually able to execute the offense as designed. Darnold cannot. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 6
  • Sympathy 1

When you go back and read the scouting reports on Darnold, you can see why he struggles now, even though his coaching is terrible.  Fundamentally, he needed superior coaching, given his mechanical and mental flaws at USC, as well as the fact that he really has not been playing QB THAT long.  Trevor Lawrence was bred to be a QB since MS.  

I don’t think Sam Darnold is going to be another Jim Plunkett, but I do believe he will be better on another team than he is now.  

• Upvote 3

Darnold is a living example of how you can not fix someones mental makeup. This goes for all aspects of life. It is hard to change how someone thinks. He was a poor decision maker in college, first year, 2nd year, and we all know his third. I don't care how good he can sling the ball when he is having a good game. If he can not finish drives the jets will not score points. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Darnold is a living example of how you can not fix someones mental makeup. This goes for all aspects of life. It is hard to change how someone thinks. He was a poor decision maker in college, first year, 2nd year, and we all know his third. I don't care how good he can sling the ball when he is having a good game. If he can not finish drives the jets will not score points. 

Hes also a p**sy

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Sam Darnold is Mitch Trubisky. Nice guys. 

Both top-3 picks;  6’2, 220 athletic types with equal mix of incredible throws & boneheaded mistakes.  Can come off the bench and win some games, but won’t win them on their own. (i.e., 4th qtr come-from-behind, 2 minute drill type wins). 

Not blue chip prospects worth the trade capital it took to get them.  One might argue that the picks it cost to move up and get them, made their teams worse off than the talent they brought to the team. 

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Both top-3 picks;  6’2, 220 athletic types with equal mix of incredible throws & boneheaded mistakes.  Can come off the bench and win some games, but won’t win them on their own. (i.e., 4th qtr come-from-behind, 2 minute drill type wins). 

Not blue chip prospects worth the trade capital it took to get them.  One might argue that the picks it cost to move up and get them, made their teams worse off than the talent they brought to the team. 

At least Trubisky makes plays lots of plays with his feet to compensate for his flaws. Darnold rarely does.

He's just not a natural @ the QB position. 

Why not?

Because he was a converted High School LINEBACKER. 

Anyone who knows anything about Grand Master Chess players knows that they learned the game as a small child. Learning chess @ the age of 15-16 or in your 20s-30s-40s is easily possible but can never become a natural phenom and would get destroyed by literally 3-4 year old prodigies (once off to a later start in chess life). 

You see. 

Cover two has been the same since little league. 

Man to man has been the same since little league. 

Cover three has been the same since little league. 

Etc. Etc. 

And this is why still to this day Sam Darnold still can not read a defense (pre snap or mid-play) and that's because he's not a natural and was a CONVERTED H.S LINEBACKER; he'll never clearly see the game and the speed of the game will always be too fast for him to process @ a high level (because the QB position is different, it's actually more mental than it is physical). 

You see. 

While only in middle school Trevor Lawrence's parents had him a paid professional QB trainer/coach and while only in middle school was practicing (and absolutely destroying) his future HS's Varsity football team; he's what you call and label a child phenom. 

Sam Darnold? lol he was still learning how to TACKLE @ that age of middle school (and wouldn't have been able to make it off the VARSITY practice field @ QB while a LB in middle school). 

Etc. 

Which is why when you compare Trevor's HS and NCAA numbers of statistical production to that of Sam's HS and NCAA statistical production; Sam walks away embarrassed by Trevor every time. 

Sam is not a natural. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

I don’t see Darnold coming off of anyone’s bench and doing anything but throwing a pick or constant 3 and outs. 

and no team is rallying behind this beta so there’s that ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GreekJet said:

He’s just not a professional Quarterback. There is talent there (arm strength, accuracy, functional mobility), but he can’t execute a basic function of the position that even some high school kids have mastered.

Darnold watches the pass rush and doesn’t step up in the pocket. Christian Hackenberg also did this and it was part of the reason he failed so badly. 

When do you ever see Sam stay in the pocket and deliver a strike right before taking a hit? Fitzpatrick will do this and it’s why he’s had a fifteen year career in the NFL. 

The NFL has exposed this kid badly. Blitz him all day and he can’t make you pay. That’s because he doesn’t keep his eyes downfield and won’t step up in the pocket. He either looks to dump it off quickly underneath or vacates the pocket which kills the play. 

also

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

buncha bears fans on twidda want Sam...    smfh

ii see stupidpeople everywhere

Haley Joel Osment Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, GreekJet said:

The things you mention are about technique and coaching, or fear, and I dont think hes sacred. A couple of points. 

- Flacco didnt do anything Sam hasn't. I think he throws a better deep ball but its marginal. 

- The Jets pass pocket for some reason always looks too compact and there is never room. While improved the line is still terrible. 

- The playbook and play calling are just not at NFL level. The coach never has a plan, its just script um up and hope. Good coaches find weaknesses and exploit match-ups. Not Gase. Today you played two of the top outside CBs in the NFL, why not feature the TEs or Crowder? Not one target to a TE and five to Crowder. He never tries to get a connection going between the QB and a WR, he never establishes anything the other team has to adjust to and I know what play is coming 80% of the time, clearly so does the defense.   

- How are other teams receivers always so open and ours never have more than 1/2 a step? Its hard to see without watching the film but our WRs always seem to be on the same level, have no idea how to find a soft spot against zone and dont understand the read adjustments. The routes are fooling anyone nor have they since Gase left Denver. Again its coaching. Today Miami used the Jet sweep fake 3 or 4 times to create misdirection and speed up the play to force the Jets into match-ups errors. We dont do anything to force the defense and thats not about having great players, any player can do that if hes coached up. 

-  The game today was lost at the end of the first half. They were at midfield with 1:47 to go and ran out of time with TOs in their pocket. Are you kidding me? That could be on the QB but it wasnt today, its was on the coach. 

- Today he played for the first time with his WRs. I thought you could see there were some wider windows and he was able to complete throws without being perfect. Still he was under pressure all day and that was with Miami just rushing 4 or 5. When defenses get pressure like that without blitzing you are in for a long day.  

- Lastly, so much of the anti-Darnold thing is because of Lawrence. Number 1 we dont know Lawrence is coming out and number 2, they told us that Darnold was the savior, for sure! Now its Lawrence, for sure! What makes you think he really is? I think I know Darnold is 100% committed and I cant say that about Lawrence who has a lot of non football interests. 

I remember the Kotite team all too well. Its was far better coached than this team. I get it, its on the QB, but this is an impossible situation. No talent and terrible coaching. None of the QBs in his draft class have had as little support as Darnold. Oh yea, and the same people talking about how we never keep our guys cant wait to get rid of this kid, and all for more magic beans created by the media. Lets see what JD thinks once Gase is gone. Im not sure about JD either, but its obvious he drafted well this time. There are some players here, they just need coaching, from a new group of coaches.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Rich said:

The things you mention are about technique and coaching, or fear, and I dont think hes sacred. A couple of points. 

- Flacco didnt do anything Sam hasn't. I think he throws a better deep ball but its marginal. 

- The Jets pass pocket for some reason always looks too compact and there is never room. While improved the line is still terrible. 

- The playbook and play calling are just not at NFL level. The coach never has a plan, its just script um up and hope. Good coaches find weaknesses and exploit match-ups. Not Gase. Today you played two of the top outside CBs in the NFL, why not feature the TEs or Crowder? Not one target to a TE and five to Crowder. He never tries to get a connection going between the QB and a WR, he never establishes anything the other team has to adjust to and I know what play is coming 80% of the time, clearly so does the defense.   

- How are other teams receivers always so open and ours never have more than 1/2 a step? Its hard to see without watching the film but our WRs always seem to be on the same level, have no idea how to find a soft spot against zone and dont understand the read adjustments. The routes are fooling anyone nor have they since Gase left Denver. Again its coaching. Today Miami used the Jet sweep fake 3 or 4 times to create misdirection and speed up the play to force the Jets into match-ups errors. We dont do anything to force the defense and thats not about having great players, any player can do that if hes coached up. 

-  The game today was lost at the end of the first half. They were at midfield with 1:47 to go and ran out of time with TOs in their pocket. Are you kidding me? That could be on the QB but it wasnt today, its was on the coach. 

- Today he played for the first time with his WRs. I thought you could see there were some wider windows and he was able to complete throws without being perfect. Still he was under pressure all day and that was with Miami just rushing 4 or 5. When defenses get pressure like that without blitzing you are in for a long day.  

- Lastly, so much of the anti-Darnold thing is because of Lawrence. Number 1 we dont know Lawrence is coming out and number 2, they told us that Darnold was the savior, for sure! Now its Lawrence, for sure! What makes you think he really is? I think I know Darnold is 100% committed and I cant say that about Lawrence who has a lot of non football interests. 

I remember the Kotite team all too well. Its was far better coached than this team. I get it, its on the QB, but this is an impossible situation. No talent and terrible coaching. None of the QBs in his draft class have had as little support as Darnold. Oh yea, and the same people talking about how we never keep our guys cant wait to get rid of this kid, and all for more magic beans created by the media. Lets see what JD thinks once Gase is gone. Im not sure about JD either, but its obvious he drafted well this time. There are some players here, they just need coaching, from a new group of coaches.  

For me personally, the anti Darnold talk has nothing to do with Lawrence or any other QB. I’m still debating weather a massive franchise changing trade down would be better for this team in the short term with a good veteran QB to coach up all the young guys before plugging in a rookie QB that will be set up for success. The anti Darnold talk is purely out of disgust for his play, care free attitude and lack of fire/leadership. He has checked out in my opinion and he’s a really sh*tty QB on top of it.

All of the excuses and fixing his flaws was just wishful thinking and when he looks way worse in year 3 than year 1, it’s over. The mistakes that he is making are on him and that’s the most disheartening part. F him and his stupid ginger ghost seeing face. NO MORE SOFT USC QBS EVER AGAIN!!!!

IMO, Someone who can actually teach a QB and builds an O around his strengths can make Darnold into a serviceable pro QB now. Darnold is not dumb. He is willing to work. He has not been taught all of the little things a QB needs to do to succeed. He’s not permitted to audible. He does not read keys. There is universal agreement thar Gase is the worst coach in the NFL, and THAT’S the guy who has been in Darnold’s ear every waking football moment for the past 2 years -  - why would anyone expect a bench warmer high school WR and a backup Razorback QB would have the chops to groom an NFL QB when neither has ever done it before? What possible experience would either draw upon to educate Darnold? And the fact that Gase is so arrogant that he didn’t even give the kid a QB coach should be enough to compel Dick Hammer to rise from the grave and knock a few teeth from Gase’s mouth with a fierce left hook.

Darnold is done in NY. I hope he finds a better situation with his next team with a coaching staff that is willing and able to teach him the “how” part of being an NFL QB.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Why not?

Anyone who knows anything about Grand Master Chess players knows that they learned the game as a small child. Learning chess @ the age of 15-16 or in your 20s-30s-40s is easily possible but can never become a natural phenom and would get destroyed by literally 3-4 year old prodigies (once off to a later start in chess life). 

You see. 

Etc. Etc. 

And this is why still to this day Sam Darnold still can not read a defense (pre snap or mid-play) and that's because he's not a natural and was a CONVERTED H.S LINEBACKER; he'll never clearly see the game and the speed of the game will always be too fast for him to process @ a high level (because the QB position is different, it's actually more mental than it is physical). 

You see. 

While only in middle school Trevor Lawrence's parents had him a paid professional QB trainer/coach and while only in middle school was practicing (and absolutely destroying) his future HS's Varsity football team; he's what you call and label a child phenom. 

Sam Darnold? lol he was still learning how to TACKLE @ that age of middle school (and wouldn't have been able to make it off the VARSITY practice field @ QB while a LB in middle school). 

Etc. 

Which is why when you compare Trevor's HS and NCAA numbers of statistical production to that of Sam's HS and NCAA statistical production; Sam walks away embarrassed by Trevor every time. 

Sam is not a natural. 

Excellent points.  I have always made the argument that many of these football players have been playing the game from a very young age so they should already know the basics of the game and the usual array of offenses and defenses.  In a sense so should darnold but as a QB he hasn’t picked up that spatial ability that a guy like Lawrence or Brady or Rodgers or Brees or any top QBs needs to make the right decision.

He may have enough to succeed at a pretty high level but he really needs a superior team around him to get the job done.

13 hours ago, GreekJet said:

the last 3 years hasn't shown you he won't be?

34 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO, Someone who can actually teach a QB and builds an O around his strengths can make Darnold into a serviceable pro QB now. Darnold is not dumb. He is willing to work. He has not been taught all of the little things a QB needs to do to succeed. He’s not permitted to audible. He does not read keys. There is universal agreement thar Gase is the worst coach in the NFL, and THAT’S the guy who has been in Darnold’s ear every waking football moment for the past 2 years -  - why would anyone expect a bench warmer high school WR and a backup Razorback QB would have the chops to groom an NFL QB when neither has ever done it before? What possible experience would either draw upon to educate Darnold? And the fact that Gase is so arrogant that he didn’t even give the kid a QB coach should be enough to compel Dick Hammer to rise from the grave and knock a few teeth from Gase’s mouth with a fierce left hook.

Darnold is done in NY. I hope he finds a better situation with his next team with a coaching staff that is willing and able to teach him the “how” part of being an NFL QB.

This is pretty much the point Chad Cascadden made on the SNY post game show last night. He said that we have seen the best of Darnold here with this coaching staff. He thinks he still has the talent to be a decent QB in the league, but not here. Can't get any better with Gase.

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Why not?

You see. 

Etc. Etc. 

You see. 

Etc. 

Sam is not a natural. 

TFW you used your mom’s Netflix pw to watch Queen’s Gambit and really want to show off what you learned!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, varjet said:

When you go back and read the scouting reports on Darnold, you can see why he struggles now, even though his coaching is terrible.  Fundamentally, he needed superior coaching, given his mechanical and mental flaws at USC, as well as the fact that he really has not been playing QB THAT long.  Trevor Lawrence was bred to be a QB since MS.  

I don’t think Sam Darnold is going to be another Jim Plunkett, but I do believe he will be better on another team than he is now.  

Look at Darnolds two picks yesterday.  First one was a throw across his body, second flat footed.  He's had poor technique from day one and still has not corrected it.   Time for this team to just admit the mistake, wish him well and release Darnold today.  No use in hoping that some fool will trade for the guy.  That ship has not only sailed but crashed into the dock and burst into flames.

10 hours ago, varjet said:

Agreed.  Look even though I’m a fan of Sam I’m fair.  He is making the same mistakes as when he was a rookie and looks shell shocked.  However it’s also  clear this organization failed him and I think the fact that he has always had no protection in his Jet career Had made him shell shocked.  I’ve accepted the fact that it’s time to move on BUT I still believe in a better situation he will be a good QB.  Kid has a lot of talent and the flaws can be corrected with better coaching and change of scenery 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You obviously don't watch Lawrence play. He made some beautiful accurate tightly contested balls just last Saturday. 

You know what struck me watching Herbert play?   His calm.  Like Mahomes, the kid looks comfortable and relaxed even when pressure is coming.  You can't teach that.   Anyone not seeing Herbert's talent and potential is just not looking.

Also, unafraid to make a throw into a tight window.  No double clutching or doubt.   Darnold looks panicked even when he's on the friggin' bench.   The NFL game is beyond his ability and has played with his mind/confidence. 

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

You know what struck me watching Herbert play?   His calm.  Like Mahomes, the kid looks comfortable and relaxed even when pressure is coming.  You can't teach that.   Anyone not seeing Herbert's talent and potential is just not looking.

Also, unafraid to make a throw into a tight window.  No double clutching or doubt.   Darnold looks panicked even when he's on the friggin' bench.   The NFL game is beyond his ability and has played with his mind/confidence. 

Trevor did that on Saturday. He took a few hits throwing at the last second from the pocket & then getting hit. Sam always crumbles. TL in an RPO will be a PITA for defenses. He actually has Trubiskeys size & athleticism (he's actually taller), but he's way more accurate, anticipates throws & when he needs to has a really quick release. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

TFW you used your mom’s Netflix pw to watch Queen’s Gambit and really want to show off what you learned!

Wrong. I fell in love with the game of chess in 1997 when I was 12 years old I was in middle school the 7th grade after watching the movie searching for Bobby Fischer (my teacher Mr. Taylor introduced me to the game and gave us a homework assignment on the movie searching for Bobby Fischer); and speaking of the Netflix show, I've never watched it but as a Chess player still to this day I never liked playing Gambit's (there are multiple Gambit's to be played and declined/accepted), not just the Queen's Gambit) my favorite openings are the French defense, the Sicilian defense the Scandinavian Defense and as white I've studied the Ruy Lopez opening which has different variations over the years. 

Screenshot_20201130-124032.thumb.png.6bed852543e8206a9e735add890153e9.png

I'm not the best Chess player in the world but I've had this account for a while now and am exactly 200 games above .500 online (and have my settings where the system only matches me up against players who are rated higher than me). 

One of my favorite check mates (had him mated in every which direction) 

Screenshot_20201130-124919.thumb.png.e197e8d3121270d68edcf79063bda77a.png

Nice try, epic failure (while trying be be a JN tough guy). 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Pretty insulting to Mitch Trubisky...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, varjet said:

Darnold needs two things and maybe he can win in the NFL.  He needs a new start and more importantly he needs a HC/OC that will build the offense specifically for him.  

I have posted this many times... The offense for Sam Darnold would be the modern version of the 1980's Redskins offense.   Sam is never going to be a pocket passer.  However, if  you run the stuff the 80's Redskins did, it could work well.  Lots of line shifts, roll outs, counter gap, counter trey stuff, play action and so on.  Darnold would be a natural fit for that.  Moving the pocket, miss-direction in the running game and play action would be key. Even then, you still have a big issue.  Darnold will STILL make the occasional mistake and ill advised throw resulting in turnover.  So, will he be Tony Romo and do that at the WORST POSSIBLE TIME, or will he be able to overcome the mistakes ??? Remember... In the playoffs, it is a single elimination contest against a good team and one mistake by the QB at the wrong time often sends you home.

Still.  I am positive Sam can be productive and exciting in the type of offense I cited above.  Forget about trying to make him a pore pocket passer in an offense with a static pocket and a lot of timing patters.   Not gonna happen

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Minor quibble: as bad as Gase is, Darnold isn't allowed to audible because he cannot do it. He runs the play, and that's it. On  occasion if he sees something he doesn't like, he'll call a timeout. No inside data, simply observation that Darnold looks like he's go along, get along.  But he's not gonna scream at people and call an audible ; he isn't taking charge. And that's the problem. he doesn't bleed for it. He's a nice guy, but he isn't the hellbent bastard he wants it so bad he doesn't care if he pisses people off. It's a lot like Sanchez or Smith; we're talking  about everything around him without saying reality is he's not getting it,. It's him that isn't any good. 

• Upvote 2