Congrats joe and Adam

kmnj

Just like last week I have to give you your props - adam u are coach on what may be the worst team in nfl history and joe u are the guy that built this team

joe brought in ten bad free agents and after round two his draft was awful 

rounds 3+ is where a gm proves his salt - we draft guys that are so bad or such projects they can’t  overtake guys on the worst team in the NFL

You are what your record says and Adam and Joe with each passing week add to their records

if joe bombs out next year with the draft and free agents he can hang his hat next to Mac and izadick who had their blind following as well

This was no orchestrated tank but two guys who performed badly at their jobs

I hope joe can learn to find players in the draft beyond round two and not miss on almost every single free agent again 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Considering our past GM's couldn't find good players in rd 1 or 2 (at least not since 2007), Douglas finding 2 quality players in his first draft is a massive upgrade. 

5th round pick Bryce Hall has been impressive too, by the way, so your premise isn't even correct.

Jamal Adams and Q. Williams were drafted by McCoffee.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Just like last week I have to give you your props - adam u are coach on what may be the worst team in nfl history and joe u are the guy that built this team

joe brought in ten bad free agents and after round two his draft was awful 

rounds 3+ is where a gm proves his salt - we draft guys that are so bad or such projects they can’t  overtake guys on the worst team in the NFL

You are what your record says and Adam and Joe with each passing week add to their records

if joe bombs out next year with the draft and free agents he can hang his hat next to Mac and izadick who had their blind following as well

This was no orchestrated tank but two guys who performed badly at their jobs

I hope joe can learn to find players in the draft beyond round two and not miss on almost every single free agent again 

10 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Just like last week, your take on Douglas is trash.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

he took a 6 win team to a zero win team

he drafted two players while losing players

folks have blind love for Joe D who has accomplished nothing but make our team much worse

We are what our record says we are-folks love to hype our players into something they are not-they are the worst team in the NFL and Joe has a hand in it-if he rights the ship I will give him credit but until then he is a guy that took a 6 win team and turned them into a 0 win team

there is no evidence Joe knows what he is doing anymore than there was with Mac or Izadick-so far he made the team maybe the worst in the NFL in his short tenure

This is not a proven GM but a guy that has accomplished nothing-you want to crown him crown him

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Considering our past GM's couldn't find good players in rd 1 or 2 (at least not since 2007), Douglas finding 2 quality players in his first draft is a massive upgrade. 

5th round pick Bryce Hall has been impressive too, by the way, so your premise isn't even correct.

Yeah I'd also add in JD's favor that this is just a rookie season from these guys. For many of them who were less polished prospects than those in round 1 (or even rounds 1-2) - particularly with such an abbreviated camp - even hurdling lower level NFL starters is still hurdling a starter. A bunch of all the players in the mid & later rounds pan out, some even as rookies, but it's less & less common.

So far we're at least no longer treated to the barrage of "smart" ideas that the Jets should trade away their 2nd round pick pretty much every year because we've been bad at drafting in that round -- even hearing this strategy when there's a change in GM, or GM and HC both, or even a massive turnover in the scouting dept. 

Every mid/late rounder who isn't starting (let alone awesome + starting) all season long as a rookie isn't therefore a bust. 

• Upvote 1

only in jets bizzaro land is  going from a 6 win team to a zero win team doing a great job....

our roster is worse now than it was when joe got here-that is a fact

our team has not won a game that is a fact

joe d supported gase this entire season-that is a fact

On 11/30/2020 at 10:29 AM, kmnj said:

the word was Gase "hired Joe"

the Gase haters some how have full belief in the guy Gase"hired"

I don't think it's quite that, and I think it's an overstatement to say it's a "fact" that the roster is worse than when he got here.

I know it isn't "full belief in the guy" for me; but part of the worsened current roster was in trading away Adams for future consideration; well, future season consideration doesn't improve the roster this season. Ditto McLendon. I'd include Williamson, too, except he didn't play at all last year.

There's also the reality that, on offense, a couple players are just having worse seasons than last year - e.g. Darnold & Lewis.

Position group personnel (since the GM just picks players; he doesn't coach them or treat their boo-boos):

QB = same for starter; dramatic upgrade at relief pitcher, even if it's led to the same number of wins with Darnold out.

RB = I guess the 37 year-old Gore is an upgrade over Bell. Yes and no, in that while Gore is having a better '20 season than Bell's '19 season, Bell surely garnered more attention away from the passing game than Gore and/or Perine. Probably call this a wash, but one could make an argument either way if one actually wanted to debate which is less uninspiring.

WR = He downgraded at one WR position and upgraded at the other, but at the same time the team didn't see its 3 starters on the field together for more than what, maybe 20% of the season so far? FFS Jeff Smith and Chris Hogan have 4 starts apiece, and Berrios 2 more of his own. No one figured Cager to be forced into starting any games in September. Not blameless on Perriman because he's made a career of being unreliable while teasing his upside. Anderson is just a better (and it turns out, a more versatile) receiver, wasn't much more expensive, and probably complements Mims better, but it's not like the team couldn't upgrade from Anderson anyway.

TE = same personnel, except they're healthier this year, yet they're getting worse production.

OL = By any objective person's measure - upgraded the center position talent-wise but it isn't showing up on the field. In terms of overall personnel the OL as a whole was upgraded at 4/5 positions, with the 5th being a carry-over starter. The line is still among the league's lowest-ranked against both the run and the pass.

DL = only downgrade was Leonard Williams, who was having a career-worst season in 2019. Q was also pretty bad last year, to the point where he was losing out on playing time to Fatandsucky. They're still not terrorizing QBs but it's still comparatively a very solid unit against the run. 

LB = Mentioned Williamson up top but tbh he wasn't playing well anyway and that can hardly be pinned on JD. Ditto Mosley deciding in Aug to sit out the season after all the team's offseason plans were made. Hewett, Basham, & Jenkins were likewise all on last year's roster. 

CB = Carryover starters/semi-starters who were on both the 2019 and 2020 roster include Austin, Poole, and Hairston. Main swap was the stopgap Desir for the mega-expensive Trumaine Johnson. Jets fans miss neither. 

S = Maye was on the team last year & he's on the team this year. Already outlined Adams above, with McDougald & Davis splitting time taking his place this year. At this point it's the Seahawks, not the Jets, who wish they could go back & undo that trade. 

I'm not enamored with his free agency pickups, but at least 3 of his draft picks already look good as rookies. It's harder to nail draft picks than proven veterans, especially in an offseason in which the team isn't bidding or trading for a FA top 5 player at any position. Paying more money for better veterans doesn't take any particular skill. The 2020 FA whiffs - and we're not talking about missing out on HOFers here - were at RT and WR. But even I'll allow that the only veterans he can add in one offseason are the veterans available. Most FA additions happen over time, where a team picks & chooses a couple specific targets that fit just right; not take whatever's out there because there's nothing on the roster right now.

So I'm not excusing every misstep he's had, but this stuff's always easy in hindsight. He's dramatically better than the dufus he replaced.

• Upvote 1