The 2020 NFL Draft WR update

Notes:

-Just thought it would be interesting to compare, based on a very short sample size, since this was one of the most heralded WR classes in a generation.

-Not trying to make any point here.

-I included up to pick 158 (Jets 4th rounder, Bryce Hall). Only relevance there is there was a slight clamor on this board that the Jets 4th round pick (125, Morgan) should have been a WR. (Ok, I am making a slight point).

Pick     Name             Games   Rec    Yards.    TDs

12.       Ruggs.           9.            17.        312.      1

15.       Jeudy.            11.           37.       589.     2

17.        Lamb.            11.           53.       650.     4

21.       Reagor.          5.            16.        211.      1

22.      Jefferson.      11.           52.        918.     6

25.      Aiyuk.             8.            35.        446.    3

33.     Higgins.          11.           48.        673.     5

34.     Pittman.          8.            26.        330.     1

42.     Shenault.        9.            33.        354.     1

46.     Hamler.           9.            25.        275.      1

49.     Claypool.        10.           39.        559.     8

57.     Jefferson.        11.           11.         143.      1

59.    Mims.                5.            17.        284.     0

81.    Edwards.           7.              8.         131.     0       

92.    Duvernay.         10.           15.         179.    0

128.  Davis.                11.            22.        354.    4

142   Gandy-Golden  5.              1.             3.     0

151.  Reed.                  9.              0.            0.     0 

• Upvote 4

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I can't tell you how much flack I got for saying Lamb was my #1 and Jefferson was my #2. Eventually changed my tune but I feel slightly vindicated haha Claypool is playing lights out, thought he'd be good but not THIS good.

I didn't even realize Justin Jefferson was playing THAT good this season, wow. Probably the best WR from this year's draft class this season. 

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Mims is good.  He's even better than I was hoping.  That catch he made on the square in yesterday is a big time catch.  

He had two "jump ball" opportunities that Darnold under threw yesterday that didn't even give him a chance.

Our WRs right this moment are very serviceable.  As a group they actually present problems to opposing defenses.  Can't recall the last time that was the case for our WR group.

His hands appear to be so strong. He also has a great vertical and positions his body well. Someone last week here said that he reminds them of Toon. I do really see that.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I can't tell you how much flack I got for saying Lamb was my #1 and Jefferson was my #2. Eventually changed my tune but I feel slightly vindicated haha Claypool is playing lights out, thought he'd be good but not THIS good.

Hopefully someone like Smith -Schuster can do for Mims what Smith-Schuster has done for Claypool (Draw attention from the slot in the middle of the field).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not saying Claypool hasn't been great, but any superlative that applies to him should apply to Mims as they are essentially putting up identical per game catch and yardage totals.  Obviously Claypool has lots of TDs.  

Was about to say the same thing.  Now I don't have to.  As long as he can stay healthy, Mims will be a good one.

• Upvote 2

Interesting.  A couple of thoughts to counter the point you're not trying to make. ;-)

- WR is interesting position for transition. So much is predicated on system and QB. 

- While it certainly happens more often nowadays, historically, it's not a position that you often see guys come in and light it up year 1 and not having an offseason didnt help and that is certainly going to hurt your later round picks who even though maybe dont have a ton of production, could still be a lot better than a guy who cant even dress as a backup.

- a lot of these guys have been injured/covid; Mims, Reagor, Higgins, Ruggs, Pittman - didnt they all start the season injured?  Could be wrong...but at some point all those dudes missed some time and impacts the overall #'s.

- the way you presented it doesnt really give you any context ie; Claypool and Jefferson are having a historic seasons, Higgins is on pace to have the best rookie season for a Bengals WR beating Green (QB could ruin that for him), if Mims can get 13 more catches before the end of the season it's the most receptions for a Jets rookie WR since Keyshawn. lolololololol  before all the QB challenges, Aiyuk was on a franchise pace as well.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not saying Claypool hasn't been great, but any superlative that applies to him should apply to Mims as they are essentially putting up identical per game catch and yardage totals.  Obviously Claypool has lots of TDs.  

Not to mention the Steelers offense and the Jets offense are on slightly different ends of the spectrum.

Imagine Mims plugged into a good offense...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Interesting.  A couple of thoughts to counter the point you're not trying to make. ;-)

- WR is interesting position for transition. So much is predicated on system and QB. 

- While it certainly happens more often nowadays, historically, it's not a position that you often see guys come in and light it up year 1 and not having an offseason didnt help and that is certainly going to hurt your later round picks who even though maybe dont have a ton of production, could still be a lot better than a guy who cant even dress as a backup.

- a lot of these guys have been injured/covid; Mims, Reagor, Higgins, Ruggs, Pittman - didnt they all start the season injured?  Could be wrong...but at some point all those dudes missed some time and impacts the overall #'s.

- the way you presented it doesnt really give you any context ie; Claypool and Jefferson are having a historic seasons, Higgins is on pace to have the best rookie season for a Bengals WR beating Green (QB could ruin that for him), if Mims can get 13 more catches before the end of the season it's the most receptions for a Jets rookie WR since Keyshawn. lolololololol  before all the QB challenges, Aiyuk was on a franchise pace as well.

I don't disagree with anything you have to say here, because, as you say, it is too early. A lot can happen. 

My immediate impressions as they relate to the Jets: Seemingly they did well positioning Mims. There was minimal chatter here about going CeeDee with the first pick. Personally, I am happy with Becton there. The other impression was Morgan was a big mistake with WR's still there. The immediate WR picks after Morgan do not necessarily suggest that. In this very short view, I am more apt to question the Perine move 1t 120.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Justin Jefferson  - can’t believe Packers didn’t draft him. He and Claypool look great. Most of them look good. Higgins was producing more than I expected off the bat. Ruggs a little less. 

WR is typically tough for rookies to excel. Class looks very solid.

I think that paradigm has shifted since the new rules have been established. 

if you notice nobody really even talks about any “great” CBs in the league bc it’s impossible to be one nowadays. Some are better than others but the Revis’, Sherman’s and Peterson’s etc etc were like last of the Mohicans 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't disagree with anything you have to say here, because, as you say, it is too early. A lot can happen. 

My immediate impressions as they relate to the Jets: Seemingly they did well positioning Mims. There was minimal chatter here about going CeeDee with the first pick. Personally, I am happy with Becton there. The other impression was Morgan was a big mistake with WR's still there. The immediate WR picks after Morgan do not necessarily suggest that. In this very short view, I am more apt to question the Perine move 1t 120.

- loved Mims.  Was a top 5 guy for me. couldnt believe he fell to where he was but doesnt that also speak to the depth? He was the 13th WR taken

- If I recall most of us wanted a LT.  The looming question was, what if they're all on gone.  I think the majority of us had Jeudy/Ceedee as their top WRs but more of us had Jeudy if those guys were gone.  I know I did but I think this is a situation of where system/QB matters.   Lamb put up the majority of his numbers with Dak and Dalton is better than anyone Denver has started....they just had 1 completion in a game with no Qb's available.  I wanted Becton. He was my #1 choice, hope he can stay healthy because he's a monster.

- Morgan still was a mistake IMO.  He cant even dress in the worst QB room in the NFL.  Gabe Davis would have been a much better pick.

- Davis/Zuniga/Morgan where the big head scratchers for me.  Davis/Zuniga injury riddled players.  Davis just an athlete with no Football skills.  Zuniga never healthy.  Morgan just a total waste of space.   The Jets could have literally rebuilt the entire OL and WR core with those 3 picks.  Cushenberry/Lewis/Kindley/Davis.  Totally changes the rebuild.  Perrine is nice complementary back, perfectly fine in the 4th but the others? Make no sense when you're trying to rebuild.

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You must not visit twitter. There's still hosting Lamb circle jerks....  Lamb as your #1 was the majority of DraftTwitter posts i would wager.

I had it in a pinch - Jeudy/Jefferson back and forth at 1, then Mims, then Lamb. Then Aiyuk. Pittman and Claypool right there too... I'd say for the most part, all these guys have showed up to play. Some are in better situations than others - but i don't see anyone that jumps out at like AJ Jenkins or John Ross. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

You must not visit twitter. There's still hosting Lamb circle jerks....  Lamb as your #1 was the majority of DraftTwitter posts i would wager.

I had it in a pinch - Jeudy/Jefferson back and forth at 1, then Mims, then Lamb. Then Aiyuk. Pittman and Claypool right there too... I'd say for the most part, all these guys have showed up to play. Some are in better situations than others - but i don't see anyone that jumps out at like AJ Jenkins or John Ross. 

I'm talking specifically about Jefferson being #2 and not Jeudy or Ruggs, a lot of people liked Lamb coming out. I don't really comment in any Twitter threads so I can't really respond to that but on this forum having Jefferson ahead of Jeudy and Ruggs, at times, felt to be sacrilegious.

• Sympathy 2

I was all about Mims as a first round level prospect. Then lost my mind when we traded down before Douglas got him anyway late second. I still think he's better than 10 or so people in front of him. I had him the #3 WR behind Jeudy and Lamb. I said the same thing draft day here even before we locked him in

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I mocked Mims to the Eagles at 21 in a draft with friends. For the Jets to land him at 58 was either a stroke of good fortune, genius or a bit of both. Jefferson was my favorite receiver in the draft. I didn't like Higgins or Claypool, both look excellent.

Gabriel Davis might become the one that got away. I was disappointed we didn't double-dip but feel Douglas may have had one eye on next year's free agency and draft. 

Wonder do the Cowboys regret taking Lamb? Lamb coud be great, but receiver was not a position of need for them and Gallup has become marginalised. 

This class is looking epic like most of us expected.  Normalizing the data and projecting these guys as if they've all played the same number of games would have most of this class looking very, very good.  Example - Mims would have about the same Yards and Receptions (but nowhere near the TDs) as Claypool.  Higgins is a stud, Lamb is a stud, Justin Jefferson is a stud, Claypool is a stud, etc.  Epic class.  We'll get at least 8 true WR1's out of this group, possibly including Mims.  If Jeudy was on a better team his numbers would likely be better as well but he's easily a WR1 as well.  Bradon Aiyuk (who I prayed would drop to us in Round 2) looks like a total weapon in SF as well.  They're doing creative things to get the ball in his hands (end around handoffs, bubble screens, etc.). Some interesting surprises coming to fruition....

I couldn't believe the Eagles passed on Justin Jefferson to take Reagor, and they're surely regretting it now.

Van Jefferson is probably better than his numbers suggest in 11 games and could be a WR2, but let's not forget that's an LA Rams offense with lots of mouths to feed in Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Higbee, etc.  Van is probably a WR2 in this league and he's always reminded me of Jerricho Cotchery.

This might be a fun list to "re-Draft."  Just on the back of a napkin if I were to go with my Top 10 I'd probably jot down....

Pick     Name             Games   Rec    Yards.    TDs

17.        Lamb.            11.           53.       650.     4

22.      Jefferson.      11.           52.        918.     6

15.       Jeudy.            11.           37.       589.     2

49.     Claypool.        10.           39.        559.     8

33.     Higgins.          11.           48.        673.     5

25.      Aiyuk.             8.            35.        446.    3

59.    Mims.                5.            17.        284.     0

34.     Pittman.          8.            26.        330.     1

12.       Ruggs.           9.            17.        312.      1

42.     Shenault.        9.            33.        354.     1

On 11/30/2020 at 9:28 AM, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Biggest disappointment IMO is ruggs. Raiders are not using him much in their offense, most of his stats are from one game this year.

And that’s strange because he seemed like such a dynamic playmaker coming out of college.  You’d think with RB Josh Jacobs playing well the Raiders would find ways to get Ruggs open and get him the ball.

My favorites heading in were Jeudy/Lamb and 2020's WR draft class is the best since 2014's (so thankful we stole Denzel Mims and not an "Amaro" and 2021's draft class could become the greatest ever (potential/talent wise). 

Jefferson, Claypool, CeeDee and Higgins have been the gems (thus far).

and Ruggs was my least favorite WR prospect I absolutely hated the thought of him as a Jet I couldn't stop posting about how he always completely disappeared in big Alabama games; while Jeudy always stole the spotlight; how Ruggs became the #1 WR drafted was criminal. 

It's a crying shame how within a freaking passing league (for quite some time now) that we've only drafted two 1st Round WR's over the previous 24 years in Keyshawn Johnson (1996) and Santana Moss (2001). 

I was all about Mims as a first round level prospect. Then lost my mind when we traded down before Douglas got him anyway late second. I still think he's better than 10 or so people in front of him. I had him the #3 WR behind Jeudy and Lamb. I said the same thing draft day here even before we locked him in

Yep. I share much of what you’re saying here. I had Mims top 5.
Jefferson, Shenault, Jeudy, Lamb, Mims, Higgins, Pittman, aiyuk, Riggs, Reagor. The next batch started with van Jefferson and claypool.
The idea that JD had the balls to trade down after the mad run in WR’s earlier is really something and says a lot about the man as a GM.
I was deflated when he did that. Elated when I heard Mims’ name read at 59 !

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I was the one that said Mims reminded me of Al Toon on that sweet catch when he caught the back of the ball & his hands were strong enough to bring it in & keep running. Soft strong hands, long arms, loping strides, what took us so long? My goodness, this league turned into a passing league 10 years ago with every rule change benefitting the offense. There's like 4 decent defenses in this league & KC could drop 30 on any of them. 

I was firmly in the camp of OT 1st round and WR 2nd round due to the depth of the class

My 4 guys going into day 2 were Higgins, Mims, Pittman & Claypool. I freaked when Pittman and Higgins came right off the board, damn near fainted and cursed JD when we traded back, cursed when Claypool came off the board and was begging the football gods to make JD trade back up for Mims fully expecting to get heartbroken. Alas, for once, it was not the case.

• Upvote 1