Sitting QB

7 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Just an outside the box idea I have been sitting on. If we draft Trevor, fields, etc.. Would you want to bring in a guy they can sit behind for a year or at least a few games. Names to consider would be Dalton, Fitz, maybe Flacco. Hindsight is 20/20 but we clearly rushed sam when he still needed to work out his issues. 

I do not prefer to sign any more castoff veterans or old man fill in types.

My preference is (presuming Gase is fired), to draft whomever we're drafting (say it's TL or Fields), and to retain Sam Darnold (who is effectively free in 2021 for us).

Open competition, best player starts.  Darnold walks in 2022 (which is fine, he's worth almost nothing in trade now) and the Kid takes over.

That is better than overpaying some old man to once again hold our draft picks willie for him.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My preference is (presuming Gase is fired), to draft whomever we're drafting (say it's TL or Fields), and to retain Sam Darnold (who is effectively free in 2021 for us).

Open competition, best player starts.  Darnold walks in 2022 (which is fine, he's worth almost nothing in trade now) and the Kid takes over.

That is better than overpaying some old man to once again hold our draft picks willie for him.

I would be open to this scenario. Sam definitely has the character traits and won't cause any problems if we do keep him. Let them compete under a new coach. Maybe Sam even improves with a new coach, but after yesterday's game, I don't think there's much hope. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This was my original thinking too, but seeing what a mess Darnold is now, I think you have to do him and this franchise the solid of moving him off this roster ASAP, even if its for little return. I'm not overly concerned with the money on 1 year deal to bring in another vet, especially with so much unused cap space. Not like we're up against anything. Darnold would have nothing to offer Lawrence other than a tainted perspective of life as a new NFL QB. Get him out of here and I'm ok with a Flacco type on a 1 year deal. At least a guy like Flacco can offer something in the way of tutoring 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

This was my original thinking too, but seeing what a mess Darnold is now, I think you have to do him and this franchise the solid of moving him off this roster ASAP, even if its for little return. I'm not overly concerned with the money on 1 year deal to bring in another vet, especially with so much unused cap space. Not like we're up against anything. Darnold would have nothing to offer Lawrence other than a tainted perspective of life as a new NFL QB. Get him out of here and I'm ok with a Flacco type on a 1 year deal. At least a guy like Flacco can offer something in the way of tutoring 

Just my opinion, but:

1. We don't "owe" Sam anything.  If it's in our best interests to keep him, for any reason, we should keep him.  And his low cost and viability as a 2021 backup is absolutely a valid reason to retain him.

2. I don't understand the "owe the Franchise" comment.  What the Franchise owes US is to put the best players on the field.  And Sam, bad as he has been under the worst Head Coach I've ever had the displeasure to watch coach, is still a better asset than once again revisiting the McCown/Fitz/Whomever placeholder concept.  

3. If Lawrence needs his pee pee held for him by some old crusty Veteran, then he is simply not the Man.  A "generational" QB should be coming in here to start (or compete to start), not to sit and watch some old man who likely never won much himself play semi-poorly and tell him nice things about being a NFL QB.  If TL (or Fields) needs that, hire him a Nanny.

4. I am not ok with another year of watching Joe Flacco.  If we're going that direction, of sitting a supposedly generational QB, I'd rather see Darnold or Morgan start.  Time spent on old men is time wasted.

Again JMO.

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just my opinion, but:

1. We don't "owe" Sam anything.  If it's in our best interests to keep him, for any reason, we should keep him.  And his low cost and viability as a 2021 backup is absolutely a valid reason to retain him.

2. I don't understand the "owe the Franchise" comment.  What the Franchise owes US is to put the best players on the field.  And Sam, bad as he has been under the worst Head Coach I've ever had the displeasure to watch coach, is still a better asset than once again revisiting the McCown/Fitz/Whomever placeholder concept.  

3. If Lawrence needs his pee pee held for him by some old crusty Veteran, then he is simply not the Man.  A "generational" QB should be coming in here to start (or compete to start), not to sit and watch some old man who likely never won much himself play semi-poorly and tell him nice things about being a NFL QB.  If TL (or Fields) needs that, hire him a Nanny.

4. I am not ok with another year of watching Joe Flacco.  If we're going that direction, of sitting a supposedly generational QB, I'd rather see Darnold or Morgan start.  Time spent on old men is time wasted.

Again JMO.

1) It's not about owing... it's what's best for the Jets (him gone) is coincidentally what's likely best for him. By the way, We gave Flacco 1 year, $1.5 million this year. Darnold's cap hit for next year is >$9 million. What low cost are you referring to?

2) What makes Darnold a "better asset" than anyone available as a backup? It's certainly not his play on the field. You expect him to learn yet another new offense next year and excel, knowing that even if he beats out Trevor, it's likely only for 1 season? What's the point? He's gone when that contract expires regardless.

3) Who said anything about Lawrence sitting? I'm advocating for a smart vet to push the kid for PT and perhaps lend some knowledge he's picked up along the way. This pee-pee hold is a cute straw man, though ;) 

4) Again, who said start him? Like you stated, if that's determined by a training camp competition, sure. But Lawrence is likely to start either way, moreso if the backup on the roster in Darnold, IMO. 

I am not opposed to that kind of thing but the vet starter has to e good enough.  Flacco is for sure not.  Fitz maybe, Dalton probably not.

Love him or hate him the thing about Fitz is that he loves the game and instills 'I will do whatever is necessary to win' attitude from the QB.

I see no problem with how the Chargers and Dolphins handled their QB's this year. Don't just hand the rookie the job from Day 1 without even a semblance of a QB competition (we've made that mistake before). IF he doesn't beat out the vet in training camp, let him sit a few weeks to get adjusted to the league and bring him in when you feel he is ready. 

We have a BOATLOAD of picks & sh*t ton of money! 

You build a BAD AZZ OLINE and you surround the Redneck Tarzan with as many weapons as possible! You go hard after Thuney or Scherff, you draft Josh Myers or Creed Humphery, you get a bad azz tough RB like Harris. Plus you sign a guy like Jamal Williams so you have 3 decent backs & one pro like Williams while you slowly get Harris going & have Perine as a #3. You resign Perriman, go after Allen Robinson! 

You give 1 year deals to a couple of pass rushers & try to make a trade with the Saints for Lattimore. 

No way in hell do you go from an 0-16 team to sitting Trevor Lawrence on the bench! Just like Burrow its go time except Trevor gets a better Oline & weapons to start his career! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

1) It's not about owing... it's what's best for the Jets (him gone) is coincidentally what's likely best for him. By the way, We gave Flacco 1 year, $1.5 million this year. Darnold's cap hit for next year is >$9 million. What low cost are you referring to?

Understood.

First, I disagree that we're inherently better with Flacco (or his functional equivalent) than we are with Darnold.

A new or resigned Flacco-type costs new, unspent cap space.  Darnolds cap space is a sunk cost, I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) we get $9 million in savings in 2021 if he is cut or traded.  May as well get something out of that cost.

2) What makes Darnold a "better asset" than anyone available as a backup? It's certainly not his play on the field. You expect him to learn yet another new offense next year and excel, knowing that even if he beats out Trevor, it's likely only for 1 season?

I don't know, the past two years I've only seen him under Gase, and IMO Gase is the hands-down worst head coach in our franchises history. 

I've been a Darnold doubter "show me" guy from day 1, but even I can see the Gase-led Jets and the 0-11 2020 team are an unfair environment to judge anyone, much less a QB.  

What's the point? He's gone when that contract expires regardless.

The same argument made to get rid of Teddy Bridgewater, and I disagree with it now as I disagreed with it then. 

Same reasons, no reason to cut off your own future flexibility to appease....who?  The players don't want him gone.  It's just some angry fans who want him gone so the new golden boy won't have any real legit competition.

3) Who said anything about Lawrence sitting? I'm advocating for a smart vet to push the kid for PT and perhaps lend some knowledge he's picked up along the way. This pee-pee hold is a cute straw man, though ;) 

Hardly a straw man, it's why we kept McCown that extra year, to hold Darnolds pee pee for a year, which was the first sign Darnold was on the wrong path, development wise.  Stud QB's do not need old men to chaperone them.

Who is the "smart Vet" who will be real competition for TL or Fields?  I don't believe there is one.  What there likely would be is some JAG old man past his prime (or who never had a prime) playing for the dollars and happy to hold a clipboard.

4) Again, who said start him? Like you stated, if that's determined by a training camp competition, sure. But Lawrence is likely to start either way, moreso if the backup on the roster in Darnold, IMO. 

I'd rather see Darnold (young, still has potential, is still hungry) as our #2 over a guy like Flacco, who is on the Jets Retirement Subsidy Plan.  

It's my basic ideology when it comes to QB's.  The more, young, hungry, talented QB's who desperately want the job, the better.  Old men need not apply, they offer nothing of value far as I see it.  

by all accounts lawrence doesn't need to sit.  the jets just need to make sure they have enough players and coaching to get those players to play as a team.  lawrence has been groomed to play qb since he was a youngster.  he's seen and performed against all sorts of defenses and players.  i don't think he'll have too much trouble adjusting to the pro game.

3 hours ago, Roger Vick 43 said:

I'd bring in Sanchez so that Trevor has someone to help him navigate through life after the Jets franchise ruins his football career.

little fish who get eaten by the big fish dontgetto blame the owner ofthe pond for be eaten, ****thisvictimbullsh*t!!