" Maybe a dozen’ teams could be interested in Sam Darnold " ~ ~ ~

kelly

The NY Jets could have up to a dozen potential suitors for quarterback Sam Darnold.

Sam Darnold‘s future with the NY Jets looks murkier by the week. A man who was once dubbed the franchise savior has been rendered somewhat of an afterthought in a miserable season for Gang Green.And Darnold’s development — or lack thereof — has been a primary component of that misery.The Jets entered the 2020 season hoping to see continued growth from their young signal-caller. But placed in an abysmal situation, Darnold has taken a major step back in his third NFL campaign.The 23-year-old has completed just 58 percent of his passes and thrown for three touchdowns as compared to six interceptions in six starts. His 5.5 yards per attempt is far and away a career-low and injuries have kept him sidelined for nearly half the season.Combine Darnold’s struggles with the Jets’ ineptitude and it’s easy to see why the idea of moving on from Darnold in the offseason has picked up quite a bit of steam. Especially with the likes of Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields headlining the 2021 NFL Draft.But given how poorly Darnold has played this season, what could they realistically expect to get for him? And how many teams will actually have interest?

Apparently, quite a few.

The NY Jets will have their options with Sam Darnold

SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano reported on Friday that the Jets would find “plenty of takers” if they decided to trade him. He elaborated by saying that “maybe a dozen” teams could be interested including the Washington Football Team, Chicago Bears, and Pittsburgh Steelers.Despite Darnold’s struggles, the former No. 3 overall pick is still held in high regard around the league. According to one NFL executive, “nobody thinks he’s a lost cause.”That’s good news for the Jets no matter how you look at it. If they decide to move on from Darnold in the offseason — the overwhelmingly likely outcome — they should have no shortage of trade options.

And in that case, they should be able to drive up the asking price.

The Josh Rosen trade from a couple of years ago has been used as somewhat of a benchmark for what Darnold could net. The two situations are similar, but they aren’t identical.Darnold is a little older than Rosen and will have just two years left on his rookie contract — assuming his fifth-year option is picked up. That said, the NFL seems to be higher on Darnold than they were Rosen and still believe he could be a franchise quarterback.Perhaps that means Darnold could net the Jets a second-round pick and then some. And maybe, just maybe, if he shows out over these final six weeks, he could be traded for a late first-round pick.

Anything is possible.

Either way, the Jets will have options. Options regarding what to do with Darnold, and options regarding where to trade him if that’s the route they take.And in the NFL, it’s never a bad thing to have options.

>     https://thejetpress.com/2020/11/28/ny-jets-dozen-teams-sam-darnold/

happyholidays_snoopy.gif

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think Darnold will draw a lot of interest. My perception is most football people around the league blame poor coaching for his poor play

Ryan Tannehill is the biggest piece of evidence supporting this claim. In addition, our roster has been dogsh*t since Darnold was drafted. So that helps.

Sam really needs a good QB-guru type of coach to resurrect him though. Think Arians, Payton, Shanahan, Reich. I actually think he is perfect for Sean Payton or Kyle Shanahan specifically. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bears, 49ers, Cowboys, Washington, -  off the top of my head.  The teams who need a qb who won too many games to draft one of the top qbs

I think Indy or Denver could be the favorites.  But yesterday had to hurt his trade value and Stafford potentially entering the mix of available QBs could also hurt.

There will definitely be several teams interested in taking him on for the right price. First round pick with three years of play in the NFL who is a project is not a bad gamble for a third round pick. If you think he can turn it around and be a long term option at starter then even a second round pick is reasonable. 

I think Darnold is another QB who peaked in a college system, which is not a revolutionary statement. Maybe he can luck into going to a team that knows how to develop a QB and place him in a simplified offense and extend his time as a starter. 

His decision making has to concern teams.  Both picks yesterday were just really bad decisions.

I guess it'll come down to teams thinking that Sam's problem's are primarily due to all the heavy pass rush pressure he's faced and the terribly unimaginative offense Gase runs. A team will have to be confident that it has a good OL so that Sam can calm down and just focus on picking out receivers. I guess that's where Indy might be a good place for him.

But he's got to stop throwing picks these last few weeks for the Jets to get a decent pick (round 1-3) back in return. The wild card is JD. He seems to be able to get more than expected in trades.

Denver is a team I would watch because Elway was supposedly enamored with Darnold in 2018. 

Indy and Pitt seem like realistic landing spots, if Rivers and/or Big Ben retire. But who knows what those front offices think of Sam. 

Kyle Shannahan has also been very complementary of Sam in the past, so maybe the 49ers could be in play? 

Maybe Chicago? 

A lot of the other rebuilding teams being mentioned would be better off just drafting their own guy, IMO. 

If Sam continues to play as badly as he did yesterday, it will be interesting what the narrative on him shifts to as the season ends. This is an ugly 3rd year for a supposed franchise QB.  

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

His decision making has to concern teams.  Both picks yesterday were just really bad decisions.

I guess it'll come down to teams thinking that Sam's problem's are primarily due to all the heavy pass rush pressure he's faced and the terribly unimaginative offense Gase runs. A team will have to be confident that it has a good OL so that Sam can calm down and just focus on picking out receivers. I guess that's where Indy might be a good place for him.

But he's got to stop throwing picks these last few weeks for the Jets to get a decent pick (round 1-3) back in return. The wild card is JD. He seems to be able to get more than expected in trades.

Not defending Darnold anymore, but I don't think the first pick was a bad decision. It was a bad throw.

If I recall correctly, when he scrambled to his right, Crowder was open on the sidelines. Had Sam thrown it to the outside (sidelines) only Crowder would have been able to catch it. Instead, Sam threw it across his body to the inside where the defenders were. A very poor throw considering one of his strengths is normally throwing on the move.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MARTIN said:

Note: This was reported Friday. When the narrative that "SaM GuNNa LigHt iT UP OnCe He PLayS w/ ALL His WeApONs" was still alive. 

At this point, they are ruining whatever his value was. I am sure 12 teams would take him... for a 6th round pick. ?

Note, interested suitors arent changing their minds over one game

Especially when the reasons given were from a variety of reasons, bad teams, bad coaching and hes still the same guy who was highly regarded when drafted.  And hes still only 23

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Especially when the reasons given were from a variety of reasons, bad teams, bad coaching and hes still the same guy who was high regarded when drafted.

Yeaaa... I think you're probably right. Was meant in a tongue in cheek way. 

But i do thing the longer he plays for Gase, the more damage is being done.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Ryan Tannehill is the biggest piece of evidence supporting this claim. In addition, our roster has been dogsh*t since Darnold was drafted. So that helps.

Sam really needs a good QB-guru type of coach to resurrect him though. Think Arians, Payton, Shanahan, Reich. I actually think he is perfect for Sean Payton or Kyle Shanahan specifically. 

I think Kyle Shanahan will be a Darnold player. He runs that stretch offense & Darnold could easily do what Garapolo was doing & hes much, much younger. Gase is a terrible coach. Sam looks totally lost out there under this guys tutelage. 

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Especially when the reasons given were from a variety of reasons, bad teams, bad coaching and hes still the same guy who was highly regarded when drafted.  And hes still only 23

And QBs are hard to find. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I think Indy or Denver could be the favorites.  But yesterday had to hurt his trade value and Stafford potentially entering the mix of available QBs could also hurt.

Broncos or Niners, I agree. Elway takes chances, he's not a pussy & Kyle is a very good QB guru. 

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think Darnold will draw a lot of interest. My perception is most football people around the league blame poor coaching for his poor play

I mean, he was making the same mistakes in college, too.  Was he coached poorly there, too?

I'm glad teams still feel this way.  Means we might get a 3rd rounder.

33 minutes ago, jgb said:

Darnold's market value is tied to Gase's reputation as a talent destroyer and not based on any actual performance on the field. 

GMs/HCs think they can salvage highly-drafted players who morons ruined. Let's hope!

everybody has access to the all 22...

not good for trade value

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Darnold should bet on himself and agree on a 5th year salary between what he makes now and the 5th year option.  Probably closer to the former.  Given a team an incentive to train him and up and hopefully then franchise him.  

If he stays on the Jets and hits FA after next year, his value will be very low.  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I think Kyle Shanahan will be a Darnold player. He runs that stretch offense & Darnold could easily do what Garapolo was doing & hes much, much younger. Gase is a terrible coach. Sam looks totally lost out there under this guys tutelage. 

Definitely agree. Shanahan is a real deal coach. Look at what he’s gotten out of Mullens whenever he’s played during his time in San Fran.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Blake Bortles, Winston and Trubisky are still the same guys.  They were all actually better than Sam at the same point in their careers.  

• Upvote 1

Darnold has been one of the worst(if not the worst) QBs in the NFL since he was drafted.  Statistics and the 'eye test' corroborate this.

I guess there's a dopey GM that thinks because he had a good Rose Bowl 4 years ago there's something salvagable but I wouldn't even give up a conditional late rounder for the guy. He's that bad.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Most football people will realize he has the same problems he did in college and perhaps, with a strong roster and good coaching could do well, but why would you invest a lot of capital in that player who only has 1 year left before you have to pay him quite a bit more? 

• Upvote 1