Rex on Bart and Hahn

section314

16 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Favre was doing very good for Mangini and Schotty Jr.  He knew more offense than both of them.  While Favre's arm was still working, the offense was off the hook.  In that case, it was smart for Mangini and Schotty to let Favre run the show on offense.  

In the case of Brady and Arians, not so.   Intervention is needed. 

It gets real simple from here.  Either they run the offense that Brady is suited for, or they keep giving away games they should and could win.

Brady needs static pocket with multiple pass options built into the play.  No line shifts or miss direction. From that point, he makes his pre-snap read, picks the best place to go, calls it and delivers the ball with perfect timing and perfect ball placement. Ideal pass plays within that shell include slants, hitches, bunch formation, screen, bubble screen, slugo etc.  No bombs, nothing deep and outside the numbers.  Couple that with basic smash mouth straight ahead running and they will do just fine.  If they try static pocket on passing plays and go with line shift and miss direction on running plays, the defenders will crash every gap the very moment they see the line move lateral.

You cant go bombs away with Tommy boy.  Wont work.  Trade with the Jets for Joe Cool.

Sounds like Brady would be perfect for Gase.

If anyone has noticed, Rex Ryan has been extremely careful not to burn any bridges to the point of being a borderline ass-kisser, which isn't exactly career suicide. He's toned himself down an awful lot after flunking out in Buffalo. I was sad that Rex Ryan didn't work out here for the same reason that I'm always sad: I want the Jets to win. Gase, I'm not sad at all. I'm just repulsed.

If Rex Ryan had had the wherewithal to put some good offensive minds around him things would have been very different. One-dimensional thinking doesn't get you very far, unfortunately, but he's very good at what he knows best. I never thought that he closed the door on coaching again if someone were to give him the chance.

He's not going to say that Woody Johnson meddled or forced things on him, etc. because he wants to be hired somewhere in the future. As strictly outside observers with no inside tracks, we all know he's full of it. He would be a lot more forthcoming if there was no way he was ever considering trying to come back in a coaching capacity of some kind IMO. He'll be a DC somewhere first.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just because the last 10 years have been terrible by comparison does not make the Rex Ryan years good.

We won no trophies, missed out on Russell Wilson because of the Mark Sanchez extension, and the mistakes made during that era from a roster perspective started the Jets on the downward spiral they've been in ever since.

Ask Bills fans whether they think Rex Ryan was a good coach.  It is absolutely pathetic that people still praise the guy here.  As if they forget what happened after 2010.  He's a loser coach with a losing record and is no longer relevant in football circles.  

the rex years were great-I got to see playoff football

the only other time I actually enjoyed being a jet fan and having the taste of winning was under parcells

parcells and rex were great for me a jet fan-only times you would walk outside wearing jet colors without being ridiculed

I would kill for a nice playoff run these days. I would even let rex watch me massage his wife's feet too . I would do disgusting unforgivable things for the jets to have a nice playoff run

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

stopped reading at BA doesnt want to throw the long ball.  that is his motto! that being said, defenses should be more susceptible to the run in fear of giving up the long ball.  Doesnt seem to happening.... yet...  this offense is a work in progress.  by the time the playoffs roll around they should be hitting on all cylinders.  Brady didnt go to tampa to compete with breez for all time passing record.  he came to tampa for a chip, plain and simple.

Bucs run the ball well when they give it to rojo. Been saying that hes good for 2 years now. Arians said after the game "rojo needs 20 touches a game"

Yeah no sh*t Bruce.

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet Rex was fully onboard with the contract extension Sanchez got?  Come on now.

If Rex wanted a new QB he had ample opportunity to demand that to happen.  He didn't.  He only blamed Sanchez after the fact, because he's a lying snake.  

Well, he did ink out the green on the tattoo of his wife in a Sanchez jersey and make it Buffalo blue to be fair. ?

It's moments such as those in other people's lives that I'm so glad I stuck by my decision to never mar the porcelain. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jetophile said:

If Rex Ryan had had the wherewithal to put some good offensive minds around him things would have been very different.

He had Greg Roman as his OC in Buffalo.  Roman had Tyrod Taylor putting up QB # 8 numbers, before Rex threw him under the bus, firing him 18 games in.  

The Bills' offensive performance the game prior to his firing?  The Bills had lost 37-31 to the Jets.  Taylor threw 3 TDs and had a 112.8 QB Rating that day.

Yet because of the cult of personality that was Rex Ryan, you still had people in the media defending the move at the time:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/19/buffalo-bills-firing-greg-roman-right-decision/

Why the Bills firing OC Greg Roman was the correct decision

Buffalo’s defense struggled mightily through the team’s first two games, but the offense, which was expected to carry the team, was stagnant. On Friday, coach Ryan explained that the move to relieve Roman of his duties was large in part due to the utilization of the Bills’ offensive personnel.

When healthy, the Bills have talented play makers at their disposal. Wide receiver Sammy Watkins has proven that he has the ability to make highlight-reel plays. He finished the 2015 season with 60 catches for 1,047 receiving yards and nine touchdowns. Tight end Charles Clay is an athlete that can make plays to get the ball and once he has the ball in his hands. Running back LeSean McCoy is one of the most electric players in the NFL and still can make jaw-dropping moves with the ball in his hands, finishing 2015 with 895 yards rushing on 203 carries with three touchdowns and 32 receptions for 292 yards and two more touchdowns.

The fact that these players weren’t put in position to consistently make plays to start the 2016 season had to fall on the shoulders of the offensive coordinator.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, heymangold said:

i never said rex ryan was a good coach - i simply said it was the last time this team was playing competitive football and was relevant.  i'm sure most people here would kill for a sliver of the 2 years we had then.

Sure, but the process by which the Rex Ryan era got going was closely tied to the solid drafting/acquisitions the Jets had made prior to that "golden age".  We haven't seen anything close to what the Jets accomplished in the draft since the 2006 and 2007 classes, nor have we seen anything close to what they did in free agency to bolster the Offensive Line.  

It wasn't just about Rex Ryan.  He got a lot out of the defense, of course, but he never would have had the success he did without the dominant Offensive Line he inherited and the presence of guys who were already here on defense, most notably Revis and David Harris. 

The minute Rex started putting his fingerprints on the roster, however, it all fell apart.  Moreover, other teams figured out what he was doing on defense.  Thus, his downfall in New York was similar to the way things fell apart quickly for him in Buffalo.  

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The problem with Brady and Arians is Arians doesn’t like to use the TE and as we all know Brady absolutely does, probably more so than any QB ever

They have been using Gronk, but I dont think they use him to an ideal along with Brady.  Gronk is impossible to defend shallow and over the middle due to his size.  The defense will usually have a LB on him or the SS when he breaks into one of those shallow inside routs.  Defenders that are not ideal in coverage.  With Tampa, they are not using Gronk that way too, but they should.  

Brady is simply not suited to be a mad bomber regardless of what Arians likes to do or what Brady's ego would like to do.  They can get wise to that or blow the season out their ass.  Real simple.  If they did a lot more of that quick hitting precision inside passing, they would also get their money's worth out of Antonio brown.  The DB's would be drawn up and it would give him chances to get behind them on the flank. 

20 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Rex didn't need or want a better QB, it was all ground N pound . He the Jets and Sanchez fell off a cliff when they let the Oline break apart in FA. 

Not true.  Rex himself said, and recently no less, that they had to be ground and pound because of Sanchez.  If he had Marino, the ball would have been in the air. 

4 hours ago, jetophile said:

If anyone has noticed, Rex Ryan has been extremely careful not to burn any bridges to the point of being a borderline ass-kisser, which isn't exactly career suicide. He's toned himself down an awful lot after flunking out in Buffalo. I was sad that Rex Ryan didn't work out here for the same reason that I'm always sad: I want the Jets to win. Gase, I'm not sad at all. I'm just repulsed.

If Rex Ryan had had the wherewithal to put some good offensive minds around him things would have been very different. One-dimensional thinking doesn't get you very far, unfortunately, but he's very good at what he knows best. I never thought that he closed the door on coaching again if someone were to give him the chance.

He's not going to say that Woody Johnson meddled or forced things on him, etc. because he wants to be hired somewhere in the future. As strictly outside observers with no inside tracks, we all know he's full of it. He would be a lot more forthcoming if there was no way he was ever considering trying to come back in a coaching capacity of some kind IMO. He'll be a DC somewhere first.

Problem always is Ryan at a time when passing exploded wanted to run the ball up the gut almost very down. Jets under him were very good at running the ball, but awful at passing. But they got exposed 2X in the playoffs when you needed a serious passing attack. don't think any team would consider him HC material ever again. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Not true.  Rex himself said, and recently no less, that they had to be ground and pound because of Sanchez.  If he had Marino, the ball would have been in the air. 

You don't really believe that do you . Rex was a died in the wool defensive coach who wanted to take the air out of the football on O. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You don't really believe that do you . Rex was a died in the wool defensive coach who wanted to take the air out of the football on O. 

I think he wanted to brag about his defensive stats, yes, but he also wanted to win.  There was a stretch of time with Rex there in 2010 when they tried to throw the ball a lot with Sanchez. The result... They got blown out by the Pats and then dropped a game to the Dolphins.  Not sure if you remember that Pats game, but it was a HUGE game for the Jets. They came out trying to throw the ball all over the place.  Sanchez threw multiple interceptions and the Pats ran away with it.   The next week, they tried throwing more again.  The result.  Interceptions and a loss.  

I remember Rex's quote from an interview with Michael Kay on ESPN after they lost the Dolphins game.  Rex said... We tried air and dare and look what happened.  We have to go back to ground and pound. 

I am SURE if Sanchez was not so generous with giving away points, Rex would have preferred a more dynamic passing game.

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I think he wanted to brag about his defensive stats, yes, but he also wanted to win.  There was a stretch of time with Rex there in 2010 when they tried to throw the ball a lot with Sanchez. The result... They got blown out by the Pats and then dropped a game to the Dolphins.  Not sure if you remember that Pats game, but it was a HUGE game for the Jets. They came out trying to throw the ball all over the place.  Sanchez threw multiple interceptions and the Pats ran away with it.   The next week, they tried throwing more again.  The result.  Interceptions and a loss.  

I remember Rex's quote from an interview with Michael Kay on ESPN after they lost the Dolphins game.  Rex said... We tried air and dare and look what happened.  We have to go back to ground and pound. 

I am SURE if Sanchez was not so generous with giving away points, Rex would have preferred a more dynamic passing game.

Again easy for someone to say after the fact . Rex like Bowles and Herm were glorified DC's who wanted to win by defense . They could care less if the Jets passed for 10 yards if they won the game 3-0 because it proved their defenses were the key to victory.  

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Again easy for someone to say after the fact . Rex like Bowles and Herm were glorified DC's who wanted to win by defense . They could care less if the Jets passed for 10 yards if they won the game 3-0 because it proved their defenses were the key to victory.  

He did essentially give the offense over to schotty. You can’t blame someone for screwing your vision up if you can’t even bother to show interest. But people also do learn. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He had Greg Roman as his OC in Buffalo.  Roman had Tyrod Taylor putting up QB # 8 numbers, before Rex threw him under the bus, firing him 18 games in.  

The Bills' offensive performance the game prior to his firing?  The Bills had lost 37-31 to the Jets.  Taylor threw 3 TDs and had a 112.8 QB Rating that day.

Yet because of the cult of personality that was Rex Ryan, you still had people in the media defending the move at the time:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/19/buffalo-bills-firing-greg-roman-right-decision/

Why the Bills firing OC Greg Roman was the correct decision

Buffalo’s defense struggled mightily through the team’s first two games, but the offense, which was expected to carry the team, was stagnant. On Friday, coach Ryan explained that the move to relieve Roman of his duties was large in part due to the utilization of the Bills’ offensive personnel.

When healthy, the Bills have talented play makers at their disposal. Wide receiver Sammy Watkins has proven that he has the ability to make highlight-reel plays. He finished the 2015 season with 60 catches for 1,047 receiving yards and nine touchdowns. Tight end Charles Clay is an athlete that can make plays to get the ball and once he has the ball in his hands. Running back LeSean McCoy is one of the most electric players in the NFL and still can make jaw-dropping moves with the ball in his hands, finishing 2015 with 895 yards rushing on 203 carries with three touchdowns and 32 receptions for 292 yards and two more touchdowns.

The fact that these players weren’t put in position to consistently make plays to start the 2016 season had to fall on the shoulders of the offensive coordinator.

Point taken. It kind of became like a Charlie Brown teacher noise after a fashion because he wasn't here anymore. "Rex Ryan" a/k/a:

: /

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I don't agree.  Herm was just as involved with the offense as he was with the defense.  He was learning the HC job on the fly as did Mangini, but Herm spread himself around.  So much so, he didnt watch the clock during the game too often.  Neither Mangini, Herm or Bowles were "seasoned" head coaches, but all three were involved with the entire team.  Rex is misunderstood because he talked about defense all the time, but he was in front of the offensive players as often as he was with the defensive players.  Damian Woody and Nick Mangold both gave Rex props for being involved and personal with all the players.  Mangold said he would have ran through a wall for him at any time. 

None of those guys were complete head coaches and all for different reasons, but they were not isolated in some back room with the defense while the offense was in some other isolated room. Simply not true... 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but the process by which the Rex Ryan era got going was closely tied to the solid drafting/acquisitions the Jets had made prior to that "golden age".  We haven't seen anything close to what the Jets accomplished in the draft since the 2006 and 2007 classes, nor have we seen anything close to what they did in free agency to bolster the Offensive Line.  

It wasn't just about Rex Ryan.  He got a lot out of the defense, of course, but he never would have had the success he did without the dominant Offensive Line he inherited and the presence of guys who were already here on defense, most notably Revis and David Harris. 

The minute Rex started putting his fingerprints on the roster, however, it all fell apart.  Moreover, other teams figured out what he was doing on defense.  Thus, his downfall in New York was similar to the way things fell apart quickly for him in Buffalo.  

Absolutely agree. The ironic thing about those good years was that they were built on the roster that Tanny and Mangini put together. Each year the Jets got worse because it was another year removed from Tanny/Mangini while adding another year of Rex having his hand in draft picks and roster decisions. The Quintin Coples and Louisville Sluggers of the the world?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

And yet somehow with this philosophy Rex went 8-8 with Geno and Adam Gase, the qb whisperer, is now going 0-16 with Sam Darnold and Joe Flacco.

Only way Rex gets another head coaching gig is if he takes a DC job somewhere, distinguishes himself (again), and then gets another head coach opportunity.

Rex's biggest flaw as a head coach was he never had a qb.  Sanchez, Geno, McElroy - these guys were horrible garbage.  Rex and Bradway wanted Russell Wilson in the 2012 draft but Woody said pass I got my guy Tim Tebow.

On 11/30/2020 at 12:56 PM, section314 said:

Good segment. Lots of interesting stuff. Two main Jets points.   1) says now Gase is openly lying to everyone about this play calling stuff, and that's the last straw. Has never identified with this organization or the fan base, time to go. Said there would be cars parked a mile long with people willing to help him move. 2) Said Jets job is a good one, and debunked the idea that Woody is a problem with potentially getting a good coach. Said all Woody wants to do is win, and will give you every resource to do so. Also said that Woody never interfered with any coaching decisions.

Other points   1) not a big Arians fan....thinks Tom should be running the offense. You don't bring him in there to run something new. Said look what Denver did when Peyton went there, they turned over the whole thing to him, and said they were even able to overcome Gase being there. Great line. 2) Loves the Titans, thinks have have real shot to go to the Bowl. 3) Bart asked him if he would be afraid to take the Detroit job if it were offered and he said no.....any coach that is confident and believes in himself would never be afraid of any job. He so wants to coach again.

Rex is awesome. I've been saying exactly what he claims about Woody and Gase. It's common sense. Who knows if Joe would ever interview Rex for the HC job but I think he should. Rex, on his very worst day, is 1000 times better than Toilet ?Gase combined. If Rex had a competent GM, one that drafts well, Rex will win the SB. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2020 at 1:00 PM, THE BARON said:

One thing Rex and the media are wrong about.  Bruce Arians is not the problem.  It is Brady.  He has them over a barrel.  Arians DOES NOT really want to trow long balls all over the place and throw outside the numbers.  Those plays that have resulted in Brady turnovers are ALL BRADY.  The media pundits and fans are blaming Arians, but they don't realize Brady's ego is call those plays.  Brady wants them so he can prove he can do it.  Arians has to go along to some extent because they promised Brady he could do that stuff...

Arians is just taking the heat like the good man he is.  

It is all Brady and his ego insisting on those pass patterns. 

And you came to this conclusion...how? 

7 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Rex is awesome. I've been saying exactly what he claims about Woody and Gase. It's common sense. Who knows if Joe would ever interview Rex for the HC job but I think he should. Rex, on his very worst day, is 1000 times better than Toilet ?Gase combined. If Rex had a competent GM, one that drafts well, Rex will win the SB. 

Woody started meddling alot more between 2010-2016.  The Tebow Trade was his doing.

On 11/30/2020 at 3:46 PM, 56mehl56 said:

Rex didn't need or want a better QB, it was all ground N pound . He the Jets and Sanchez fell off a cliff when they let the Oline break apart in FA. 

Where the hell do you come up with this crap? You know less than nothing. Ground and pound is a very viable offense. One that Rex advocated to great success. The great thing about Rex is he allows his OC to run the offense. Any great leader knows when to take a step back. The only reason why Rex didn't win the SB here was because Sanchez was sh*t and the GM sucked.

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2020 at 9:56 AM, section314 said:

Good segment. Lots of interesting stuff. Two main Jets points.   1) says now Gase is openly lying to everyone about this play calling stuff, and that's the last straw. Has never identified with this organization or the fan base, time to go. Said there would be cars parked a mile long with people willing to help him move. 2) Said Jets job is a good one, and debunked the idea that Woody is a problem with potentially getting a good coach. Said all Woody wants to do is win, and will give you every resource to do so. Also said that Woody never interfered with any coaching decisions.

Other points   1) not a big Arians fan....thinks Tom should be running the offense. You don't bring him in there to run something new. Said look what Denver did when Peyton went there, they turned over the whole thing to him, and said they were even able to overcome Gase being there. Great line. 2) Loves the Titans, thinks have have real shot to go to the Bowl. 3) Bart asked him if he would be afraid to take the Detroit job if it were offered and he said no.....any coach that is confident and believes in himself would never be afraid of any job. He so wants to coach again.

Let him coach here...

56 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Where the hell do you come up with this crap? You know less than nothing. Ground and pound is a very viable offense. One that Rex advocated to great success. The great thing about Rex is he allows his OC to run the offense. Any great leader knows when to take a step back. The only reason why Rex didn't win the SB here was because Sanchez was sh*t and the GM sucked.

Hate to break it to you guys but literally in the last month or so Rex came out and talking about specifically this, to summarize he said you think I wanted to be ground and pound? No way, he would have loved to have scored alot of points and put big numbers on the scoreboard, but due to his personnel see Sanchez, he had to put the team in best position to win and that was with good Def and ground and pound.

It really is sad that it needs to be pointed out and really one of the main reasons Rex was good here and that is that as a HC, Rex adjusted his game plan on Off and Def to what he had. He didnt want sanchez throwing a bunch because he wasnt that good at it. Same thing with Def he had Revis so built plays using that strength. 

His problem wast that the Line went to sh*t, I mean it was a problem, but his problem was that the team could really only compete by overachieving and really good coaching. We has sh*t QB and did best he could with it. that is how a coach is supposed to act. If he was coach you bet Darnold would be getting help to succeed. 

Rex could be done as a coach but since he left no other coach as been able to show that even the most basic functioning game plan to try to adapt to players strengths...Gase seems to gameplan against it and complain when it doesnt work. Rex may be done and his idea maybe old, but he would give us much better shot to win. I bet Joe Douglas would love him. Honestly G willimas deserves the HC position but Im good with rex too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

And you came to this conclusion...how? 

yeah that dude is crazy...denver let Manning do his thing...they should have done the same with Brady. wiht all that talent, the HC shoudl just let him run his game paln and offense, but he wont because of EGO. Its really silly. i mean I hate the pats and what brady did to us, but he shoudl be in the best off in the league right now with Evan, godwin, the TE and talent around him. With that Def. he had 10 Superbowls with that Def in NE. 

The reason eveyrone has brady side is because its obvious Arians has his head up his ass.

On 11/30/2020 at 3:31 PM, THE BARON said:

Yeah... His mouth and often immature nature is a turn off to many... 

that probably is the reason cause his record isnt all that bad. he is 4-2 in the playoffs. beat Peyton and Brady in the playoffs in there home turf. one win twice from the SB...all with Mark Sanchez as QB. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

i dont know what happened in Buffalo but it had to be something personal. he goes 8-8 in his first season then 7-8 and was fired before is last game.

nobody gets fired after 2 500 win seasons. you give him one more to see if he can break out. but not to even finish a 500 season. the only people who get fired with one game to go are 4 win and less guys who had a few losing season.

there is something more to the Buffalo story that we dont know.

Just now, doitny said:

i dont know what happened in Buffalo but it had to be something personal. he goes 8-8 in his first season then 7-8 and was fired before is last game.

nobody gets fired after 2 500 win seasons. you give him one more to see if he can break out. but not to even finish a 500 season. the only people who get fired with one game to go are 4 win and less guys who had a few losing season.

there is something more to the Buffalo story that we dont know.

The story in Buffalo is that he took a very good defense and ran it into the ground (it was top 5 before he arrived under Jim Schwartz, and outside of the top 20 both years under Rex Ryan), and ownership also came to realize he was a lying snake much quicker than Jets ownership did.  

Greg Roman and the offense was responsible for nearly 100 % of any success the Bills had those 2 years under Rex Ryan.  

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The story in Buffalo is that he took a very good defense and ran it into the ground (it was top 5 before he arrived under Jim Schwartz, and outside of the top 20 both years under Rex Ryan), and ownership also came to realize he was a lying snake much quicker than Jets ownership did.  

Greg Roman and the offense was responsible for nearly 100 % of any success the Bills had those 2 years under Rex Ryan.  

idk.

yeah your right about the defense but they fired Marrone after a 9-7 season in his 2nd yr. with that 4th rank defense you mentioned.  before that 2014 season they were ranks 20 and over so maybe it was a mirage. unless Marrone is a lying snake too, there is something up with ownership at that time.