Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Defense Wins Championships

Players who you were wrong about heading into NFL drafts:

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Sam Darnold.   🤬

I think my exact quote in the draft day thread when he dropped to 3 and the Jets got him was "God has finally smiled on the Jets."

I always wonder where he would’ve been picked if we had stayed at 6, does someone jump to 3 for him? Did the teams that took Rosen and Allen still take Rosen and Allen. Never know 

 

what we do know is 2 teams took a hard pass. Both teams that needed or were gonna need QBs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest oofs..

Josh Rosen

DeShaun Kizer

Barkevious Mingo

Sammy Watkins

Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

Leonard Fournette

Players I were low on who ended up doing better than I thought

Ryan Tannehill

Le'veon Bell

Derrick Henry

Mike Evans

Christian McCaffrey

Josh Allen

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I always wonder where he would’ve been picked if we had stayed at 6, does someone jump to 3 for him? Did the teams that took Rosen and Allen still take Rosen and Allen. Never know 

 

what we do know is 2 teams took a hard pass. Both teams that needed or were gonna need QBs

In all fairness, it seems the Giants were gonna pick Barkley no matter what. They were still content with Manning during that time.

Browns ended up going with Mayfield due to more of his brash attitude, and something they needed at that time. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

In all fairness, it seems the Giants were gonna pick Barkley no matter what. They were still content with Manning during that time.

Browns ended up going with Mayfield due to more of his brash attitude, and something they needed at that time. 

Giants we’re definitely enamored with Barkley I agree, but what we don’t know is if there was a QB prospect there that they loved also. If they were lukewarm on all 4, that made the decision even easier 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Ryan Leaf. I was convinced that he was a better player than Peyton Manning. 

I did as well. In our defense ...Leaf’s issues were more personal rather than athletic. The tools were there, the brain wasn’t 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll keep it more recent. First is Josh Rosen. I was never particularly high on Sam but I could've sworn Josh Rosen would be elite. I honestly don’t know how he has been so bad.

On the flip side I thought Becton would be a project. Boy was I wrong. We really solidified the LT for the next 10+ years.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Sam Darnold.   🤬

I think my exact quote in the draft day thread when he dropped to 3 and the Jets got him was "God has finally smiled on the Jets."

Yes. As soon as the Cleveland Browns selected Baker Mayfield i told myself Browns being the Browns again and immediately started to dream of Sam Darnold a Jet. 

Heading into the draft I thought we had a 0.0% chance of drafting Sam because I was absolutely convinced he'd go #1 overall and the player who i really wanted was Saquon Barkley he was by far my favorite offensive talent because outside of Sam I wasn't sold on any of the other QB's. 

This was a post I created in 2017 before the 2018 NCAA season began...

"If it's true that Darnold, Allen & Rosen are all three top 5 picks, then a player such as Barkley out of PSU can fall right into our NY's lap; especially if Arden Key out of LSU lives up to his top 5 draft hype as a deadly edge and OLB pass rusher. And if Lamar Jackson out of Louisville also dominates the ACC as a Heisman hopeful. All of this could pave the way for this PSU back. I loved Zeke coming out and I was gushing over the thought of Fournette. But there is just something truly special about Barkley that i absolutely love and really couldn't imagine seeing him in Green and White. As a must watch Freshman he earned All-Big Ten Second team honors after rushing for 1,076 yards off 182 carries for an average of 5.9 yards per carry to go along with 7 rushing TD's and 20 receptions for 161 receiving yards. Last year as a Sophmore he earned All-Big Ten First team, Big Ten Running Back of the Year and Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year award honors all while PSU claimed the Big Ten Championship after rushing for 1,496 yards off of 272 carries for an average of 5.5 yards per carry to go along with 18 rushing TD's, 28 receptions for 402 receiving yards and 5 TD receptions. During his 1st two seasons this kid has combined for 2,572 rushing yards off an average of 5.6 yards per carry, 25 rushing TD's, 48 receptions for 563 receiving yards and 5 TD receptions. That's a combined 3,135 offensive yards and 30 TD's from the line of scrimmage. Scary. This Barkley kid is an electric playmaker and an offensive game changer. Barkley, to me; is already a can't miss 2018 blue chip prospect who can change the entire culture of an NFL's offensive attack just by having his God gifted talents coming out of your backfield. Now I'm not saying that he's Barry Sanders 2.0 Jr. in the makings but is what i am saying, is that in terms of his style of rush he's the closest thing that I've personally ever seen to Barry since #20 himself in regards to his shifty elusiveness and ability to stop, cut on the dime and change of direction with explosiveness. His natural athletism is off the richter scale. My pick is already in. And I want Saquon Barkley". 

I was wrong in the essence because we never had a prayer @ Barkley because the kid went #2 overall (unheard of for RBs these days) but I knew I was watching future greatness as I watched Barkley throughout his NCAA career and his first two NFL seasons before his 3rd year ACL were absolutely and downright freakishly dominant but Barkley really messed me up mentally because heading into the Rose Bowl (he was amazing) I entered the game as a Barkley fan and left a Sam Darnold dreamer (I hope he fully recovers from ACL surgery because if so he's a future HOF RB). 

But yes. I was absolutely fooled about Sam Darnold and made myself a promise that I'll never let the media hype me up about a single bowl game performance ever again; because the only reason Sam went so high was because of one Rose Bowl performance as a true Freshman and because of that; we were all tricked and because of that Rose bowl performance all of us Jet fans ignored his red flags such as A.) Fumbling/INT USC turnover machine. B.) Lack of QB experience coming out and C.) Mechanical/release concerns etc. 

Sam is why I now love Trevor Lawrence. Trevor isn't hyped up because of a single bowl game as Darnold was; Trevor is rated as the #1 QB prospect dating back to Elway/Manning due to his full body of work dating back to HIGH SCHOOL and like Barkley I've been in absolute awe of his dominance and is a can not miss Franchise QB. 

People think it's weird to look at NCAA's QB's High School statistical production but I don't because when you compare Sam's HS numbers to Trevor's HS numbers you begin to realize why Sam Darnold was never ranked as the #1 QB prospect heading into college (he wasn't even rated as a top 300 player All-Time within the Country coming out) in comparison to Trevor who was the 6th rated prospect (of any position) All-Time heading into Clemson. HS to NCAA before the NFL is a timeline and one that Macc and Jet fans both disregarded because now thinking back Sam wasn't worthy of a top 10 pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, section314 said:

   Jeff George. Thought he was the 2nd coming of Marino. 

he was still really good

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, section314 said:

   Jeff George. Thought he was the 2nd coming of Marino. 

JG is a legend in my books. Jeff's ego was fueld by his howitzer arm. He would confidently throw on his backfoot 50 yards into triple coverage - and fully expect his guy to come down with it. 

Love that man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Josh Allen for sure. I still can’t believe he turned out to be good.

Me neither. From an unheard of Wyoming program with a career NCAA completion percentage of 56.2% which had me seriously doubting his accuracy to now an NFL career completion percentage of 60.5 and during his 3rd season an eye opening and mind boggling completion percentage of 68.8%?!?!?

And I couldn't care less about Buffalo giving him weapons to become successful with in Diggs etc because coming out of Wyoming you could've given him Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison as a trio of WR's and I still would've thought his accuracy wouldn't have been good enough to even get the the football within a proximity to make catches. 

Josh Allen I was 100% and completely wrong about in regards to his accuracy.

Both Trey Lance (N. Dakota State) and Zach Wilson (BYU) are two QBs I don't believe in because of the lack of strength of scheduling and opponent's they've played against on an NCAA level however Josh Allen is a prime example on why I won't discredit Jet fans who are absolutely in love with these kid QBs as prospects. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole but that doesn't mean I'll be right (in the long run). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, King P said:

My biggest oofs..

Josh Rosen

DeShaun Kizer

Barkevious Mingo

Sammy Watkins

Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

Leonard Fournette

Players I were low on who ended up doing better than I thought

Ryan Tannehill

Le'veon Bell

Derrick Henry

Mike Evans

Christian McCaffrey

Josh Allen

I wouldn't consider Sammy Watkins as an oof pick whatsoever.

He was one of my favorite 2014 WR draft prospects myself and he's a big reason (along with Tyreek Hill/Travis Kelce/Andy Reid) why Patrick Mahomes was drafted into QB heaven because he's already recorded 309 career receptions, 4,504 receiving yards, 33 TD receptions and a SB champion as a starting NFL WR.

And he was also physically unstoppable during last year's 2019 SB run throughout the AFC Championship Game and SB (combined 2 GM's) recording 12 receptions for 212 receiving yards and 1 TD reception (I don't think Mahomes/KC wins a SB without him). 

He's still only 27 years of age too and if JD misses out on the likes of Allen Robinson, JuJu Smith Schuster and Chris Godwin? Sammy Watkins is the next WR who I want while lining up all over the offense opposite of Denzel Mims as an experienced game breaker of a WR for a young Trevor Lawrence (the Clemson Connection). I'd love him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Larz said:

Tavon Austin.  Thought he would be a star 

Damn I forgot about him. Me too!

He was the offensive weapon I was craving for heading into 2013's draft. We picked 9th and I remember I was absolutely disgusted when he was selected 1 pick before us @ 8th overall and drafting Dee Milliner at the time was such a disappoint to me after having my mind and heart made up on Tavon Austin (I was confident he'd become the next Santana Moss). 

What made it even worse was Tavon was the reason I thought we had something in Geno (teammates at WV) and wanted to convince myself after missing out on Tavon Austin that Geno Smith was the driving force behind Tavon's electric success wow was I wrong (about both). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I was pissed when we didn't take Rosen.  

Me too.

I thought Darnold turned the ball over too much, I also thought Josh Allen was too inaccurate.

I also thought DK Metcalf wasn't going to do much.   If he was that big and strong in college, why didn't he produce in college?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I wouldn't consider Sammy Watkins as an oof pick whatsoever.

He was one of my favorite 2014 WR draft prospects myself and he's a big reason (along with Tyreek Hill/Travis Kelce/Andy Reid) why Patrick Mahomes was drafted into QB heaven because he's already recorded 309 career receptions, 4,504 receiving yards, 33 TD receptions and a SB champion as a starting NFL WR.

And he was also physically unstoppable during last year's 2019 SB run throughout the AFC Championship Game and SB (combined 2 GM's) recording 12 receptions for 212 receiving yards and 1 TD reception (I don't think Mahomes/KC wins a SB without him). 

He's still only 27 years of age too and if JD misses out on the likes of Allen Robinson, JuJu Smith Schuster and Chris Godwin? Sammy Watkins is the next WR who I want while lining up all over the offense opposite of Denzel Mims as an experienced game breaker of a WR for a young Trevor Lawrence (the Clemson Connection). I'd love him. 

Watkins also had that bad food injury.  His first 2 years in Buffalo he had just over 2000 yards and 15 touchdowns, that's not a bad start to a career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I thought Metcalf was an injury prone, workout warrior, one trick pony.

 

 

This kid has turned into what looks like the new Megatron.   That big with all his speed?  Geez that's insane.   Would not want to be a corner putting in a shoulder on a tackle when he has a full head of steam.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Brady Quinn was going to be a FQB, thought we dodged a bullet when Miami picked Ginn.  I also thought Rick Mirer was going to be better than Bledsoe. 

As far as Jets go, I thought Marvin Jones was going to be what Ray Lewis turned out to be.  Also thought Darnold was a sure thing.

Josh Allen I thought would bust.  Looks like the real deal, but I still think his style of play might get him killed at some point.  Curious on how he will look over the long run, he's playing with an all start team right now.  What happens when contracts start to come up and pieces aren't replaced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the majority of my predictions have been gold -sadly most times fans do know better

the one pick I was wrong on was Paxton Lynch-I figured Elway knew what he was talking about and I drank the cool aid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

This kid has turned into what looks like the new Megatron.   That big with all his speed?  Geez that's insane.   Would not want to be a corner putting in a shoulder on a tackle when he has a full head of steam.

You know what's scary?

He's 6'4 and runs a 4.33 40. 

Denzel Mims is 6'3 and runs a 4.38 40. 

DK has Russell Wilson compared to Denzel who's had Flacco/Darnold. 

Give Denzel Mims a Trevor Lawrence and watch him develop into one of the most dominant outside receivers within Jets Franchise History; I'm already convinced he's a top 5 future NFL WR freak of nature; I couldn't imagine him with a strong armed Russel Wilson. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the majority of my predictions have been gold -sadly most times fans do know better

the one pick I was wrong on was Paxton Lynch-I figured Elway knew what he was talking about and I drank the cool aid

All these years later throughout watching multiple NFL drafts and you can only name us 1 Paxton Lynch example? 

You're telling me you can't create a list of 5 player's who you've loved who ended up busting and/or 5 players you overlooked who became awesome? 

And you expect me to believe that? 

LiquidHotEyra-small.gif.d5685da85a24c247e597ba3f9515151b.gif

Humble yourself young man...

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

All these years later throughout watching multiple NFL drafts and you can only name us 1 Paxton Lynch example? 

You're telling me you can't create a list of 5 player's who you've loved who ended up busting and/or 5 players you overlooked who became awesome? 

And you expect me to believe that? 

LiquidHotEyra-small.gif.d5685da85a24c247e597ba3f9515151b.gif

Humble yourself young man...

yep-

I can also tell you I was one of the people cheering on the jets as a kid in person at the draft to take Marino and screaming at the top of my lungs  Sapp Sapp Sapp

I was wrong on Lynch and wrong on McCarthy as  a coach-he is horrible but I didnt see it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

I thought Brady Quinn was going to be a FQB, thought we dodged a bullet when Miami picked Ginn.  I also thought Rick Mirer was going to be better than Bledsoe. 

As far as Jets go, I thought Marvin Jones was going to be what Ray Lewis turned out to be.  Also thought Darnold was a sure thing.

Josh Allen I thought would bust.  Looks like the real deal, but I still think his style of play might get him killed at some point.  Curious on how he will look over the long run, he's playing with an all start team right now.  What happens when contracts start to come up and pieces aren't replaced?

I thought Marvin Jones would be amazing.  He wasn't a bust, but he wasn't what I thought he would be.

I wan't a huge Quinn fan, I just didn't think he was that accurate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head, 5 players I thought would easily pan out, but didn't:

1) Josh Rosen

2) Aaron Curry

3) Chance Warmack

4) Marcus Mariota

5) Calvin Pryor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...