Players who you were wrong about heading into NFL drafts:

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I wouldn't say you were entirely off/wrong about Wentz

Eh.  It's year 5 of his career, he's got a 14/14 TD:INT ratio, and might be getting benched this week.  Can't really call him a bust, but can't call him a "hit" either.

@Paradis how excited are you for the Jalen Hurts show to get off the ground?

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I couldn't have been any more wrong about Deshaun Watson.  I read he had a weak arm and wanted no part of him due to my Chadwick Pennington PTSD.  That plus I read that no QB who has thrown less than 55 MPH has had success in the NFL.  Though I have no idea how Pennington threw >= 55 MPH.

https://www.chicitysports.com/forum/threads/arm-strength-deshaun-watson-is-woefully-bad.60563/

image.png.e6d29a2f9cfbbdea27666ee47e03c86d.png

He's one who I was right on. As an ACC fan of FSU I considered him the most dominant ACC QB I ever witnessed; until Trevor Lawrence. And fast forward today and he just passed Aaron Rodgers and is now the #2 QB All-Time for the highest QB Rating (only behind Mahomes). He's amazing. 

I still loved the Jamal Adams pick but I believe passing on Watson was worse than passing on Mahomes because Watson as an NCAA Championship Caliber QB was considered a better prospect than Mahomes (imo) coming out. 

Just imagine if Watson was drafted into KC instead of Houston with Hill/Watkins/Kelce/A+ O-Line and Andy Reid? He's already posted the NFL's #2 All-Time highest QB Rating ever and imo would be considered as being much better than Patrick Mahomes under that hypothetical situation. 

I've gotta put my #33 Jamal Adams pride aside; passing on BOTH of Watson/Mahomes I believe ended up being the nail in the coffin for Maccagnan especially while believing in Hack over these two and then during that same draft passing on Dalvin Cook for Marcus Maye was criminal too. 

A QB/RB duo of Mahomes/Cook or Watson/Cook and an O-Line or no O-Line Macc would still be here today. 

Or maybe I'm wrong and Watson/Mahomes-Cook would've still been destroyed behind these recent Jet O-Lineman?

• Upvote 1

Another player who as a kid in MS (6th and 7th grade of 1996 and 1997) who I thought would become the next best thing was Curtis Enis; but only because my Principal (big Penn State fan) would go on the intercom every single Monday morning for two years straight while announcing the statistical production of Curis Enis he really loved that guy I'll never forget the day I was walking in the hallway and he looked at me and told me Curtis Enis is the next Jim Brown and as a kid I so believed him lol I miss those days 

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eh.  It's year 5 of his career, he's got a 14/14 TD:INT ratio, and might be getting benched this week.  Can't really call him a bust, but can't call him a "hit" either.

@Paradis how excited are you for the Jalen Hurts show to get off the ground?

Fantasy dynamo bruv

• Upvote 1

I was wrong about two of my Dawgs.  Nick Chubb and Sony MIchel.  Thought MIchel would be the far better pro more dynamic, better playmaker, more dangerous in the passing game.  Whiffed on both guys.  I thought Chubb would be okay -- just another guy.  Thought Chubb lacked the explosiveness and agility to be a top tier RB.  I was dead wrong. 

I am convnced that Chubb is the MVP of the Browns offense.  When Chubb is good, the Browns are good.  Chubb is more impoortant to that team this year than Baker.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was wrong about two of my Dawgs.  Nick Chubb and Sony MIchel.  Thought MIchel would be the far better pro more dynamic, better playmaker, more dangerous in the passing game.  Whiffed on both guys.  I thought Chubb would be okay -- just another guy.  Thought Chubb lacked the explosiveness and agility to be a top tier RB.  I was dead wrong. 

I am convnced that Chubb is the MVP of the Browns offense.  When Chubb is good, the Browns are good.  Chubb is more impoortant to that team this year than Baker.

Chubb might be the best pure RB in the NFL

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Chubb might be the best purest RB in the NFL

Agreed.  He and Derrick Henry are showing that the era of the devalued RB may be coming to an end.  Browns are 6-1 with Chubb and 2-2 without him.  I don't believe that is a coincidence.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  He and Derrick Henry are showing that the era of the devalued RB may be coming to an end.  Browns are 6-1 with Chubb and 2-2 without him.  I don't believe that is a coincidence.

Chubb grew on me. Had a similar take on him early on, similar to Jonathan Taylor. Great college back, lack of top shelf measurables/moves Would limit him in the NFL

but I started to change my tune during the draft cycle... and boy. He’s just brilliant. Such a natural. Would die to have a guy like him. 

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

man hard to really remember but there were Definitely more than a few i was wrong about

Reggie Bush

Justin Miller

Mike Williams

Maruice Clarrett

Currently Sam Darnold 

Theres definitely more but I'm struggling to think of them..

Forgot about Clarett! 

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Don't forget about Dalvin Cook. He's #2 in rushing yards (sick 5.2 yards per carry average) and #1 leads the league in Offensive Yards from Scrimmage. 

Imo (no specific order) Zeeke, Dalvin, Henry, Chubb and Kamara are the top 5 most deadly RB's within the game today pound for pound.

and the kid rookie James Robinson looks incredible too and it's hard for me to believe that he went undrafted and speaking of undrafted he became the fourth undrafted rookie running back to ever start a week one game since dating back to 1970 (and he's never looked back). 

This one was a product of being high since I was right a few times and felt it was the same boat.

I had been right in my predraft feelings on Eric Decker and Jordy Nelson... Coming into the draft I loved their ability to set guys up and get deep even with lack of elite deep speed and I really liked their Route running ability. So naturally I was high on a guy I felt profiled similar at the time in Jeff Janis. 

I thought "wow green bay just got the second coming of jordy nelson"

Didn't quite work out that way lol 

I still remember to this day being an 11 year old kid in 1996 and wanted Lawrence Phillips #1 overall over Keyshawn Johnson I was absolutely in love with the way Phillips played the RB position. 

I never knew (just found out 5 minutes ago) that in...

"2015, Phillips was charged with the murder of his former cellmate, Damion Soward, and arguably could have faced the death penalty. Phillips committed suicide on January 13, 2016 at Kern Valley State Prison in Delano, California, where he was serving a seven-year term for felony assault with a deadly weapon and was set to serve an additional twenty-five years once that sentence elapsed for domestic assault on his girlfriend" 

Damn. I never knew all of this happened. Such a sad story I remember being absolutely crazed over his RB ability as a kid before he entered the draft damn man. 

On 11/30/2020 at 5:20 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I couldn't have been any more wrong about Deshaun Watson.  I read he had a weak arm and wanted no part of him due to my Chadwick Pennington PTSD.  That plus I read that no QB who has thrown less than 55 MPH has had success in the NFL.  Though I have no idea how Pennington threw >= 55 MPH.

https://www.chicitysports.com/forum/threads/arm-strength-deshaun-watson-is-woefully-bad.60563/

image.png.e6d29a2f9cfbbdea27666ee47e03c86d.png

This was one case where watching the combine had a big effect for me.  I saw these numbers, had liked Watson but was unsure after the numbers came out then watching the drills watsons passes looked just as good/fast as any of the others and looked way more accurate than all of them.  It was also at combine  drills I said that webb was awful, he could not hit the broad side of a barn with his big arm.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:11 PM, PCP63 said:

Christ. Can't think of this guy's name. Awesome pass rusher from a big school maybe 7-8 years back who tore his ACL a few times, and was a bust. Thought he'd be a beast. Had one of those First Last-Last names. 

Edit: Da'Quan Bowers! 

Funny you bring him up, his last year of pro ball (2017?) he came up and played for my CFL team the Edmonton Eskimos and was really really good.  Signed an extension but then decided to retire and go into coachhing

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2020 at 9:32 PM, PCP63 said:

Also Trent Richardson asks Teddy Bridgewater. 

Bridgewater though no all pro has certainly fashioned a pretty good career before and after his injury.  I thought he was going to be an utter flop after his pro day.  Worst pro day ever, he was just all kinds of awful.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Funny you bring him up, his last year of pro ball (2017?) he came up and played for my CFL team the Edmonton Eskimos and was really really good.  Signed an extension but then decided to retire and go into coachhing

He did ok for himself considering his medical/degenerative knee situation.... he went from top 10 potential pick to.. was it the 4th round? Either way, he wasn't expected to stick around long - and wound up finding some pockets of success  -- and ultimately hung around 2x as long as anyone expected. 

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Bridgewater though no all pro has certainly fashioned a pretty good career before and after his injury.  I thought he was going to be an utter flop after his pro day.  Worst pro day ever, he was just all kinds of awful.

I remember that. Guys that were there were in shock. I seem to recall that some were even speculating that workout might have taken him off some boards.

• Upvote 1

I hardly ever feel like I am super wrong on a prospect.  That comes more from not taking much of a stand on anybody than any innate talent at it.  I will  put a pass on guys that I feel don't have the measurables I like - Warrick was like that.  He just didn't seem fast enough.  I felt vindicated on him, but he and Blair Thomas weren't actually that bad.  Just not as good as expected.  I also had a hard pass on Polite - it makes me feel ever so smart, but I probably forget the guys that pan out.  Even the guys I like I feel terrified that they won't turn out.  Gholston and Josh Allen both fall into that category.  I would have taken both where they went for sure, but I was very scared of them as prospects.  I often wonder if I were in a war room if that would make me good or I would be easily swayed away from my choices by others.  

I am a cynic by nature and an issue spotter.  I can see the flaws in the best prospects and I am always scared.  That is why I prefer to look at late rounders and UDFA.  I can see flaws in some of the cleanest prospects (Lawrence) and the nature of the game and that these are just kids means that many of them don't pan out (Jeff George) or are not as good as you'd expect (Leonard Williams).  I wonder if that was Maccagnan's problem = looking for clean prospects at the expense of position value and potential.

A perfect example of my hedging is this:  I certainly missed on Jonathan Cooper, but I wonder if I'd have gone that high for a guard. 

Oh I guess I should also include being hopeful that Hackenberg would be good, but that was almost entirely due to the above video from Brett Kollman (aka the guy who sounds like he knows what he's talking about but, in reality, is probably is no smarter than the average Joe).

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, Lith said:

Funny.  This is one of the few places where i was right on a RB.  RB is one of the few positions where I tend not to be obsessed with measurables.  That is why I accepted the Perine pick which I did not love.  I felt Chubb did well enough at the combine to indicate that he recovered from the knee.  On the other hand, maybe I just liked Chubb because of the number he wore. 

• Upvote 1

An example of a guy I was completely wrong on is Alex Barnes.  I did not love him as a prospect, but I expected him to be drafted and was sure he would carve out an NFL career.  I took him in the JN mock.  Maybe it was the 6th round.  He made it to final cuts with the Titans, but he came out in 2019 and can't even get in a  camp.