People close to Trevor “Are Jets the place you really want to be?”

Just now, BCJet said:

Multiple examples of precedent.  And for anyone who thinks it definitely won't happen, ask yourself if it was your son, what would you do?

The thing is, the Jets do have a couple things going for them here.

1.  There should be enough time for JD to link up with whoever Lawerence's agent is and let them know what his plan is and to also allow some level of input into the HC.  Thats very important.

2.  We have draft picks and Cash to build around a QB on a rookie deal.

3.  If Lawerence does pull a power play, Jacksonville is a good spot for him as its a southern location and they have the picks to make a swap.  If its fields or even Lance as the #2 QB, JD can come away with a QB and another first round pick.  

He's gonna go from the NYC market to Jacksonville? Lol, come on. And it's not like they are a powerhouse themselves. 

The precedent from the past isn't really the same now. 

53 minutes ago, JTJet said:

It amazes me that people 100% believe that there is zero chance he forces a trade. 

There is ACTUAL precedent for this a couple times in the history of the NFL draft, and the conditions for it to happen again are lining up. 

So based on your logic, this should be a discussion every time a consensus QB comes out of college.

What makes you think he would want to play for jaguars who will likely go 0-15 after a fluke win early?

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I dont believe that changes the second Gase is fired at all. 

It changes the second a respectable coach is actually hired that makes sense for the team. 

Theres still room to screw this up, and the Jets do not get the benefit of the doubt until the moment they pick that coach. 

Name one bad coach that Joe Douglas ever hired?

I am kidding on that part. But Mike Macc and CJ ran the last search. Mike Macc should have been fired by then.  This time Joe Douglas is the adult in the room.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

We have been a terrible destination long before Gase. Theres going to need to be some pretty solid offseason moves to alleviate concerns. 

A respectable coach and not a first time HC along with some very serious FAs. 

No offense, but this is a dumb stance.  Can't play the "Jets have been awful forever" card then in the next sentence talk about fixing that in one off-season.

If Lawrence is truly worried about the Jets past and future(which I doubt he is) one off-season won't make a lick of difference.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It’s how the draft works, you’re a great player? You’re going to a bad team most likely. 
if you get drafted to New York and you have the buzz surrounding you like Trevor does, you make a ton of money in endorsements as well. It’s a no brainer to come to a big market if you can. 

8 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Are the jags such a desirable alternative?

Jets have lots of hope to sell. We have a GM with the draft ammo and cap space to remake the team quickly. We have a new HC coming in. I think Lawrence can do way worse than walking into that situation.

The Jags are the only place less desirable.   They have some nice players on offense... but zero marketing opportunity.  Jacksonville is way off the radar. 

Maybe London?

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

It amazes me that people 100% believe that there is zero chance he forces a trade. 

There is ACTUAL precedent for this a couple times in the history of the NFL draft, and the conditions for it to happen again are lining up. 

There is actually little precedence of this happening in the NFL.

Elway, yes because he was drafted by the Yankees and had an option.

Jim Kelly told everyone before the draft, told the Bills, that he would not play in Buffalo.  He said the same thing the day of the draft and after he was drafted.  Where did he play?

Eli, do we know that he wouldn't have played in SD if they didnt find a trade partner with the Giants and a player that they liked in Rivers?  And thats the difference from the SD point of view, Rivers and Eli were a tossup.  SD was happy with Eli for Rivers plus Merriman and whoever else they got with picks.  If a team takes Lawrence theyre not trading him away, there isnt anyone of equal value 

Trevor doesnt have any leverage unless he wants to pass up millions and sit out.  Hes said more than once hes done at Clemson.  So would he sit out?  Nothing about his personality says he would.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

We have been a terrible destination long before Gase. Theres going to need to be some pretty solid offseason moves to alleviate concerns. 

Based on which bad dream you had?  

Ruhle wanted the job.  McCarthy wanted the job.  Kingsburry came to interview for the job.  Gase took the job.  Bowles was the top coordinator, took the job.  Rex still wants the job, loves it.  Still talks about it.

One more time, there are only 31 other jobs like the Jets job in the entire planet.  Only 6 or so open up, very few can say to a team no thanks

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No offense, but this is a dumb stance.  Can't play the "Jets have been awful forever" card then in the next season talk about fixing that in one off-season.

If Lawrence is truly worried about the Jets past and future(which I doubt he is) one off-season won't make a lick of difference.

I’d be worried if the Jets had the #1 and the Pats were sitting at #3, because Lawrence’s people would almost be justified turning some screws to force a trade to New England. As it stands, the only “more desirable” team in striking distance (without a QB) is Dallas, and they stand to win a few more games before the end of the year. 

• Upvote 1

Who are these people close to Trevor?

These clowns do this every year.   Remember when they asked Darnold in an interview if he would go to Cleveland if they drafted him as all presumed?  How about when they asked Burrow if he would go to Cincinnati?

Yeah, no kidding, your the top pick and it means youre getting selected 99 out of 100 times by a losing team.

Lazy moronic statements by lazy assed media people

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

He's gonna go from the NYC market to Jacksonville? Lol, come on. And it's not like they are a powerhouse themselves. 

The precedent from the past isn't really the same now. 

Market means nothing to NBA and NFL stars.

Mahomes plays in Kansas City

Rodgers plays in Green Bay

Brady plays in Tampa 

Manning played in Indianapolis

If anything, Florida's lack of state income tax can only be attractive.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d be worried if the Jets had the #1 and the Pats were sitting at #3, because Lawrence’s people would almost be justified turning some screws to force a trade to New England. As it stands, the only team in striking distance (without a QB) is Dallas, and they stand to win a few more games before the end of the year. 

Dallas sitting anywhere in the top 5 might be problematic for us.

The Jets' situation isn't anywhere near as bad as the media purports it to be. If Lawrence is as good as advertised we'll be competing for a playoff spot next year. Gase will be gone, we'll have a coach who suits Lawrence, two other picks in the Top 33 (likely another OL and another offensive weapon), a monster LT to protect Lawrence for most of his career, plus a ton of cap space. 

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I’d say there’s a very slim chance. Not zero. But slim. 

Its just the stench of Gase and what the team is now. Once they purge all that, get their HC and Douglas and his team can sit down with Lawerence, it’ll be okay. If Gase was still here, he’d 100 percent force a trade. 

Confused The Kid Mero GIF by Desus & Mero

There’s a 19% chance he forces a trade.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Name one bad coach that Joe Douglas ever hired?

I am kidding on that part. But Mike Macc and CJ ran the last search. Mike Macc should have been fired by then.  This time Joe Douglas is the adult in the room.

... and Hymie. 

34 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No offense, but this is a dumb stance.  Can't play the "Jets have been awful forever" card then in the next sentence talk about fixing that in one off-season.

Where did I mention one offseason?

I do not believe Trevor Lawrence would “force” a trade basically because it is inconsistent with his Christian belief system. It is selfish and puts him at odds with God’s plan for him.

This is not intended to make light of his beliefs and should not be viewed as an invitation to critique the reasoning i.e. what if it’s God’s plan to force a trade. It is what it is, and for those who know people who take their christianity as seriously as Lawrence does, you’ll know if he enters the draft, he will play for whoever selects him and then he will thank God for his blessings and the opportunity to play in the NFL.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There is actually little precedence of this happening in the NFL.

Elway, yes because he was drafted by the Yankees and had an option.

Jim Kelly told everyone before the draft, told the Bills, that he would not play in Buffalo.  He said the same thing the day of the draft and after he was drafted.  Where did he play?

Eli, do we know that he wouldn't have played in SD if they didnt find a trade partner with the Giants and a player that they liked in Rivers?  And thats the difference from the SD point of view, Rivers and Eli were a tossup.  SD was happy with Eli for Rivers plus Merriman and whoever else they got with picks.  If a team takes Lawrence theyre not trading him away, there isnt anyone of equal value 

Trevor doesnt have any leverage unless he wants to pass up millions and sit out.  Hes said more than once hes done at Clemson.  So would he sit out?  Nothing about his personality says he would.

I agree that there is nothing in his personality that suggests he would do that. With that being said, 20 something year old minds get influenced by agents and family all the time. 

The scenario wouldnt play out where he would pass up millions anyways. Forcing the Jets into a trade would still see him selected at #1, just with a different team. 

Call it green colored glasses but I don’t see the Jets situation as that bad, compared to other first pick of the draft teams, as long as the coach is fired 

Plenty of cap space

Multiple high picks next couple drafts

Some young promising players in Becton Q will and mims 

Some decent role players 

A GM who did pretty well in his first draft with 4 years left on his deal to build a team the right way 

Of course this is all moot if Gase is retained but it’s not a terrible situation, the record is terrible mostly because of coaching, multiple injuries, terrible QB play and a tough schedule. Is it a playoff roster no, but the 4 main problems can all be corrected by next season

Everyone looking for clicks, drama sells, nothing to see here 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Based on which bad dream you had?  

Ruhle wanted the job.  McCarthy wanted the job.  Kingsburry came to interview for the job.  Gase took the job.  Bowles was the top coordinator, took the job.  Rex still wants the job, loves it.  Still talks about it.

One more time, there are only 31 other jobs like the Jets job in the entire planet.  Only 6 or so open up, very few can say to a team no thanks

That's fair but you can still end up with the bottom of the barrel candidate. As it stands there are already 5 coaching vacancies with more to come. We could easily get the 5th-7th best option, and that option could be someone Trevor's camp does not like..

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Where did I mention one offseason?

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

What other off-season would these moves take place in to alleviate concerns between now and the draft?

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What other off-season would these moves take place in to alleviate concerns between now and the draft?

I'm talking about mapping out a multi year plan for Trevor's camp. 

Hire a respectable coach.

Show his camp during the combine what we plan to do in FA, then actually follow through on it. 

The again show his camp what a multi year plan looks like.