People close to Trevor “Are Jets the place you really want to be?”

Just now, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Blame Mac and Idzik for the roster getting to this point, not JD who's only been here for 1.5 years and under 1 draft. 

The team won 7 games last year and has gotten noticeably worse.  At what point is it JD's team and not Mac's?

Look, I actually don't think JD has done a bad job, I believe he understood he was putting out garbage and needed to clean house before starting over.

But let's not pretend he's some kind of genius either.  He claims he truly tried to make the team better - he didn't.  

Right now he's a complete question mark.  

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d be worried if the Jets had the #1 and the Pats were sitting at #3, because Lawrence’s people would almost be justified turning some screws to force a trade to New England. As it stands, the only “more desirable” team in striking distance (without a QB) is Dallas, and they stand to win a few more games before the end of the year. 

Let me tell you, this post has steadily done a number on me.  I didn't really give much thought of the possibility because as you say, they probably won't really be in the position to make such a move.

But I just kept thinking about it and thinking about it and then went down a worm hole of Dak Prescott as a Jet with mountain of picks to go along with him.  

Not saying I'd take that over Lawrence but my mind looked at the scenario a lots of different ways since initially reading it.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Market means nothing to NBA and NFL stars.

Mahomes plays in Kansas City

Rodgers plays in Green Bay

Brady plays in Tampa 

Manning played in Indianapolis

If anything, Florida's lack of state income tax can only be attractive.

Not entirely true. You think the shoe executives and by extension Zion wanted to go to NO or the Knicks during the draft lottery? Market still matters, just not as much as it used to

• Sympathy 1

This is so clearly a lazy media pivot from the "Stay at Clemson Trevor" talking point that he dismantled after the game Saturday. He was never going to stay there and will likely only consider forcing a trade if Gase remains as coach which is not going to happen. This is a bullsh*t narrative to have something to fill dead air. Nothing more. He is not the type of personality to shy away from the spotlight, more so he seems comfortable with it. 

If the Jets have the pick, he will play for them. Stop this madness.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Can the mods merge all these garbage “ Trevor demands trade “ threads into one? And for the next 5 months?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I think they would if Trevor actually demanded a trade or even if we heard Trevor hint at that. 

Maybe it would be better to merge them into a "Paranoid, insecure Jets fans that think Trevor will demand a Trade" thread dedicated to all those people that also miss Joe Benigno. 

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats what people who dont play in the NY market or hate NY say.  

Having lived in NY and elsewhere, I have come to understand that NY'er have a materially bloated sense of the intrinsic and inherent value of New York.

Sure, A Rodgers, Mahomes, Labron etc, superstars arent kept from becoming superstars because theyre in KC, GB or Cleveland.  But it is a place where Chad did ads, where Barkley is making commercials, players get national announcing gigs while Dak, Zeke and the majority of players in small markets are held out.  

"Chad did ads".  ?

No one outside of the Tri-State area ever saw any of those Ads, and those Ads were for used BMW's at Sal's Used Car Emporium and Italian Restaurant in Yonkers, but sure......Chad did "Ads".  

Tell me, who are the current national advertising studs that play for the Jets or Giants?  The kind of player I'd see on a national ad campaign for a non-football product or service (i.e. not an ESPN commercial). 

It not for everybody but if you want to take advantage of what's available to you it can be more lucrative.  

New York is a tax nightmare, players make a ton more by playing a lower tax State.

New York is bad fan city, next to Philly, we're one of the least patient and most hateful fanbases in sports.

New York is a city of distractions and vices, with many things to take an athlete and pull they astray from sports-first-focus.

New York (and New Yorkers) are not beloved by folks who don't themselves live in or come from New York.

We live in a global world now, much less a national one.  Lucrative isn't based on City when it comes to side-revenue, it's based on looks, charisma and being great at their sport.  A stud with Charisma in Kanasas City sells as much as the same guy in New York nowadays.  It's not 1965 anymore.

JMO.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Essentially 6 in the top 100, the last pick may be just out of 100 depending on number of 3rd round comp picks awarded.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

That’s not including what we get for Sam.  I think we get a 3rd...but still we’re really looking at 7 picks in the top 100...

Depending on where the QBs fall off, I could see Sam fetching a mid-2nd or higher... 

Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields (#1,#2)

Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, (mid-late 1st)

Mac Jones (late 1st-early 2nd) 
**Sam Darnold**
Kyle Trask (mid 2nd)

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Depending on where the QBs fall off, I could see Sam fetching a mid-2nd or higher... 

Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields (#1,#2)

Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, (mid-late 1st)

Mac Jones (late 1st-early 2nd) 
**Sam Darnold**
Kyle Trask (mid 2nd)

Gotta count on salary issues too.  I mean how much more will you have to pay Sam than a late first round / early second round QB?  If at all.

But with that aside I tend to agree with what you're saying. 

What's more likely ....

Kyle Trask turns into a franchise QB

OR....

Sam Darnold can be fixed

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Having lived in NY and elsewhere, I have come to understand that NY'er have a materially bloated sense of the intrinsic and inherent value of New York.

Thats well and good but what I said is still right.  You want to debate whether NY area opens the door to more opportunities, I dont. Theres a reason why Trevor Bauers agent and Bauer say hes looking to sign with a big market team and sites NY as the biggest market.  

I do find that a lot of people who move out of the NY area have a resentment towards the city that clouds their opinions.  You consistently jump on all the things you dont like about NY.  Good for you.  Doesnt make turn my opinions about the advantages or the opportunities given by the city bloated. You didnt like it, you left, good for you I hope youre happy in Virginia or DC wherever it is you live.   So theres that

1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Not entirely true. You think the shoe executives and by extension Zion wanted to go to NO or the Knicks during the draft lottery? Market still matters, just not as much as it used to

Do you think LeBron James sold fewer shoes playing in Cleveland? I don't. If market mattered, you'd think the Knicks would get someone who wanted to play in MSG.

The only major sport where markets matter is baseball, and even then the star power is nothing compared to NFL and NBA because it attracts regional audiences.

Mike Trout should be a mega star but people on the east coast could not pick him out of a lineup. Derek Jeter is the last star that I think you can objectively say if he did not play in New York, he would not be as famous as he is. 

20 hours ago, JTJet said:

It amazes me that people 100% believe that there is zero chance he forces a trade. 

There is ACTUAL precedent for this a couple times in the history of the NFL draft, and the conditions for it to happen again are lining up. 

If Trevor demands a trade I want Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and the Falcons first round pick.

1 hour ago, zonajetfan said:

This is so clearly a lazy media pivot from the "Stay at Clemson Trevor" talking point that he dismantled after the game Saturday. He was never going to stay there and will likely only consider forcing a trade if Gase remains as coach which is not going to happen. This is a bullsh*t narrative to have something to fill dead air. Nothing more. He is not the type of personality to shy away from the spotlight, more so he seems comfortable with it. 

If the Jets have the pick, he will play for them. Stop this madness.

Trevor doing an Eli Manning is a more likely scenario.

What the Jets need to do is 1) FIRE GASE 2) Meet with Trevor's people and explain that Woody and Chrissy are done meddling in football decisions and 3) hire someone legit (LIKE JIM HARBAUGH)

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats well and good but what I said is still right.  You want to debate whether NY area opens the door to more opportunities, I dont.

I don't either, I'm happy to agree to disagree on this.  It's not a surprise we would opine on this differently.

Theres a reason why Trevor Bauers agent and Bauer say hes looking to sign with a big market team and sites NY as the biggest market.

I'd argue that he will go to the 1. Team that will pay him the most in the effectively uncapped MLB and 2. The Team he thinks gives him the best chance to win/succeed/produce.  Given how badly the Yankees abuse their wealth advantage, I have no doubt that NY is cited, if only to drive up the price.

That advantage doesn't exist in the NFL.

I do find that a lot of people who move out of the NY area have a resentment towards the city that clouds their opinions.

I agree, many ex-NY'ers I know don't really like NY much anymore.  But plenty do still like it, in fairness.  I miss the Pizza and Bagels, and Salt Water Shore Fishing in Bay Park, but not much else honestly.

You consistently jump on all the things you dont like about NY.  Good for you.

Neither good nor bad, just one man's viewpoint, worth what you paid for it, lol.

Doesnt make turn my opinions about the advantages or the opportunities given by the city bloated.

Well, you could always cite the Top 10 Active-player Endorsement Earners in the NFL, and see how many play in New York. 

That would be a good, solid fact-based data point, I'm sure you would agree. Not sure where you'd find that, but I'm sure its online someplace.

You didnt like it, you left, good for you I hope youre happy in Virginia or DC wherever it is you live.   So theres that

Yes I'm very glad I left, I think my life here is far superior to what it would have been on L.I.   My old home town is a real dump these days.  

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't either, I'm happy to agree to disagree on this.  It's not a surprise we would opine on this differently.

I'd argue that he will go to the 1. Team that will pay him the most in the effectively uncapped MLB and 2. The Team he thinks gives him the best chance to win/succeed/produce.  Given how badly the Yankees abuse their wealth advantage, I have no doubt that NY is cited, if only to drive up the price.

Actually he wants to play fort Steve Cohen and the Mets.  They now have the richest owner in all of sports by a wide margin and one who didnt lose his shirt last season due to COVID-19

That advantage doesn't exist in the NFL.

I agree, many ex-NY'ers I know don't really like NY much anymore.  But plenty do still like it, in fairness.  I miss the Pizza and Bagels, and Salt Water Shore Fishing in Bay Park, but not much else honestly.

Neither good nor bad, just one man's viewpoint, worth what you paid for it, lol.

I dont live there anymore but miss the vibe and soul of the city, you cant find that anywhere.  I miss working and playing in Manhattan.  Its not for everyone, I get that.

Well, you could always cite the Top 10 Active-player Endorsement Earners in the NFL, and see how many play in New York. 

That would be a good, solid fact-based data point, I'm sure you would agree. Not sure where you'd find that, but I'm sure its online someplace.

Because, as I said, the top players, superstars make the most money endorsement wise, no matter where they play.  But the amount thats doled out in its entirety accross the board, not so sure would stand up. Its not just endorsements.  Its getting a TV gig, its opening the doors to other avenues, not stictly advertising dollars,  Its the media center, its got opportunities you dont get in Milwakee. 

Yes I'm very glad I left, I think my life here is far superior to what it would have been on L.I.   My old home town is a real dump these days.  

As much as I miss a lot of things about the old city, yes the pizza and bagels, Chinese food, all the food, the restaurants the sports teams, I love it down here so I get it

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

Do you think LeBron James sold fewer shoes playing in Cleveland? I don't. If market mattered, you'd think the Knicks would get someone who wanted to play in MSG.

The only major sport where markets matter is baseball, and even then the star power is nothing compared to NFL and NBA because it attracts regional audiences.

Mike Trout should be a mega star but people on the east coast could not pick him out of a lineup. Derek Jeter is the last star that I think you can objectively say if he did not play in New York, he would not be as famous as he is. 

Ownership matters. The Knicks are a dumpster fire because of who's in charge. Durant chose the Nets over the Knicks. If Lawrence tells the Jets no thanks it will have nothing to do with the city itself and everything to do with who's in charge.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You mean the guy that just fielded, what is on track to be, the worst team in the history of the league?

That GM?

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The team won 7 games last year and has gotten noticeably worse.  At what point is it JD's team and not Mac's?

Look, I actually don't think JD has done a bad job, I believe he understood he was putting out garbage and needed to clean house before starting over.

But let's not pretend he's some kind of genius either.  He claims he truly tried to make the team better - he didn't.  

Right now he's a complete question mark.  

Sup, Manish?

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

"Chad did ads".  ?

No one outside of the Tri-State area ever saw any of those Ads, and those Ads were for used BMW's at Sal's Used Car Emporium and Italian Restaurant in Yonkers, but sure......Chad did "Ads".  

Tell me, who are the current national advertising studs that play for the Jets or Giants?  The kind of player I'd see on a national ad campaign for a non-football product or service (i.e. not an ESPN commercial). 

New York is a tax nightmare, players make a ton more by playing a lower tax State.

New York is bad fan city, next to Philly, we're one of the least patient and most hateful fanbases in sports.

New York is a city of distractions and vices, with many things to take an athlete and pull they astray from sports-first-focus.

New York (and New Yorkers) are not beloved by folks who don't themselves live in or come from New York.

We live in a global world now, much less a national one.  Lucrative isn't based on City when it comes to side-revenue, it's based on looks, charisma and being great at their sport.  A stud with Charisma in Kanasas City sells as much as the same guy in New York nowadays.  It's not 1965 anymore.

JMO.  

Classic diatribe of someone who couldn’t hack it in ny 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Sup, Manish?

If you believe Gase was trying to build a competitive team, which he clearly states he did.  Then he has been an unmitigated disaster and we should be very worried. 

Now, if you think, like I do, he was simply cleaning house this year and didn’t necessarily care if they win or lose then he’s done a very good job.  

we really don’t know which and simply don’t know if good or not. Right now he’s a question Mark.  

56 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Ownership matters. The Knicks are a dumpster fire because of who's in charge. Durant chose the Nets over the Knicks. If Lawrence tells the Jets no thanks it will have nothing to do with the city itself and everything to do with who's in charge.

Durant is the anti NY'r.  He would have been horrible in the city, hes thin skinned and not made for a team that isnt upper level.  He figured he'd go to B'klyn and be with his buddy and people told him B'klyn is as cool as Manhattan.  B'klyns cool but its not NYC/Manhattan cool

If Lawrence tells the Jets no thanks it will have everything to do with NYC and/or wanting to go somewhere in particular.  No one gives a damn about the Johnsons or any teams owners

57 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If you believe Gase was trying to build a competitive team, which he clearly states he did.  Then he has been an unmitigated disaster and we should be very worried. 

Now, if you think, like I do, he was simply cleaning house this year and didn’t necessarily care if they win or lose then he’s done a very good job.  

we really don’t know which and simply don’t know if good or not. Right now he’s a question Mark.  

Ok Manish. I was talking about JD because your post that I quoted was about JD. I know you’re shook and with a lot on your mind but keep focused

On 11/30/2020 at 8:40 PM, Ohhthepain said:

I just want the Jaguars to win a damn game first. Then we can talk about this

Remember his is a Georgia guy.  He would probably prefer someplace like Jacksonville as it's closer to home and he wouldn't have to deal with the circus that is the NY media.    I hope I'm wrong, but not sure if he is built for the Bright Lights. Seems like something of a small town guy.  

• Upvote 1