Jump to content
GreekJet

Sounds like Lions may make Matt Stafford available

Recommended Posts

If the Jets don’t get Lawrence this would be my second choice (not sure if you could convince Stafford to come here).

The Jets need stability at the QB position in the worst way. Im not sure spending the number 2 overall pick on a dart throw is the way to go given all the holes on this roster. 

  • Thumb Down 12
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

Interesting. So if we don’t get Lawrence your solution is to trade for a guy who will be 33 years old next year instead of drafting one of the other five high-performing prospects who will be available. 

Ever here the expression “kicking the can down the road”?

33 is young for a QB. I know Stafford has been injury prone, but he’s probably got at least four or five good years left in the tank. Look at Fitzpatrick (39 still going strong). 

It is also possible another team falls in love with Fields or one of the other and offers a good package to move up. If thats the case you can take another young QB in the mid rounds to develop behind Stafford. 
 

 

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not a good choice for the jets even though i think he is quite good.  He would be much better for a win now team.

If the Jets get Darnold and Gase out of here and replace them with Stafford and a competent HC/OC they might be pretty good. Especially considering the cap space and draft capital they have to work with. 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

33 is young for a QB. I know Stafford has been injury prone, but he’s probably got at least four or five good years left in the tank. Look at Fitzpatrick (39 still going strong). 

It is also possible another team falls in love with Fields or one of the other and offers a good package to move up. If thats the case you can take another young QB in the mid rounds to develop behind Stafford. 
 

 

You can keep the mid rounder. I’ll take my chances with Fields or Wilson or Lance. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

1. Stafford would never come here. He's not going to go from the LIONS to another sh*t team on his last gasp. 

2. The Jets don't have a competitive roster to actually take advantage of someone like Stafford.

3. This is a truly dumb idea.

This is something I could see Maccagnan or Tannenbaum doing because they were masters of trading away draft picks and overvaluing their team personnel. Thankfully, JD would never do something like this because he believes in building through the draft. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

1. Stafford would never come here. He's not going to go from the LIONS to another sh*t team on his last gasp. 

2. The Jets don't have a competitive roster to actually take advantage of someone like Stafford.

3. This is a truly dumb idea.

The Jets can be super bowl contenders next year with Stafford if they hit in free agency and the draft. 
 

This is a good team that is being held back by coach and QB. 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, PS17 said:

He’s Kirk Cousins with a better arm. Always comes up short in big moments. Hard pass. 

Incredible that the fans of the least talented team in the league have the most stringent purity tests for players

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

This is something I could see Maccagnan or Tannenbaum doing because they were masters of trading away draft picks and overvaluing their team personnel. Thankfully, JD would never do something like this because he believes in building through the draft. 

Uh, every GM believes in building through the draft. If the Jets are ever close to being in contention, you'll see JD amp up the big-money FA signings.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PS17 said:

He’s Kirk Cousins with a better arm. Always comes up short in big moments. Hard pass. 

His number of 4th quarter comebacks is remarkable (in a good way)

Colts should be all over this guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry but just the thought of potentially going from a 21 year old and #1 rated kid QB type of phenom prospect in Trevor Lawrence to a soon to be 33 year old who's been in the league since 2009 with an 0-3 playoff record and only 1 Pro Bowl appearance / 0 All-Pro selections is absolutely sickening to me; because if Trevor lives up to his potential he's going to accomplish a lot more and for many of years too. 

Not to take anything away from Mathew Stafford he's had an excellent career within a crappy Franchise (one who even Barry Sanders quit on and walked away from the game on) and probably has another 4-5 years left in his tank but I'd much rather be around for the birth of Trevor Lawrence rather than witness the decline and near retirement of Stafford (father time is still undefeated and waits for no man).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PS17 said:

He’s Kirk Cousins with a better arm. Always comes up short in big moments. Hard pass. 

Exactly. Good counting stats but if you watch the guy play you want him nowhere near your franchise, same as Cousins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

The Jets can be super bowl contenders next year with Stafford if they hit in free agency and the draft. 
 

This is a good team that is being held back by coach and QB. 

This is a terrible team being held back by a coach and QB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Interesting. So if we don’t get Lawrence your solution is to trade for a guy who will be 33 years old next year instead of drafting one of the other five high-performing QB prospects who will be available. 

Ever here the expression “kicking the can down the road”?

If he hasn't then maybe he's heard the expression 

 

get out.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

At least two of those guys will be in the Hall of Fame.  They waste players.  We ruin them.

What we are doing to Sam the Lions did to Joey Harrington.  Every team has busts.  But because so much pathos follows this team... our travails have to be so epic. Quinnin is fulfilling his promise and Mims looks like a good receiver.  And I dare say Bryce Hall made some nice plays on Sunday. But we are too busy to notice wallowing in own tears. 

In a few month will have a new coach and a new QB.  And while I understand feeling sh*tty about the present.  But it makes no sense to feel worse about a future that hasn't even happened yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stafford is a really good QB and if we weren't picking 1/2 this year I would definitely want him but we need to take advantage of this disaster of a season by trying to pick a cheap young franchise QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jaguars would actually make sense as a landing spot for Stafford. They have a good young defense and good young weapons on offense. They could trade out of the 2nd pick to acquire more assets or stay put and take the best tackle in the draft to protect him. It would make a ton of sense if they're looking to win quickly. They are going to have 4 picks in the top 48 and about $60 million in cap space this offseason. They can get really good really quickly with a QB like Stafford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stafford is done

 

if we don’t get Lawrence draft Penei Sewell and sign Jameis Winston

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David Harris said:

His number of 4th quarter comebacks is remarkable (in a good way)

Colts should be all over this guy

They’d be way better off sticking with Rivers which is what they are going to do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my 2nd choice after TLaw would be Dak.  after Dak it's Fields.  after Fields it's any other QB in the draft.  then Darnold.  THEN Stafford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for Matt. Has nothing to do with us and our QB situation, but good for him - he deserves an opportunity to win.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I dont blame Stafford for the Lions failures, he is too old and injury prone for a team this young. 

That being said, I think a more reasonable question would be some sort of deal with Dallas for Dak, who is only 27 years old. Dallas will be picking in the top 10, which could make facilitating a deal more reasonable as they would need to send us Dak (along with the Jets singing him long term) and giving up their first rounder for Lawerence.  Could be interesting. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Jets don't get Lawrence they should target Fields.

I'm not interested in trading for an expensive 32 year old QB with a lot of wear and tear on him already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

1. Stafford would never come here. He's not going to go from the LIONS to another sh*t team on his last gasp. 

2. The Jets don't have a competitive roster to actually take advantage of someone like Stafford.

3. This is a truly dumb idea.

Denver w/ sutton and jeudy?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

What we are doing to Sam the Lions did to Joey Harrington.  Every team has busts.  But because so much pathos follows this team... our travails have to be so epic. Quinnin is fulfilling his promise and Mims looks like a good receiver.  And I dare say Bryce Hall made some nice plays on Sunday. But we are too busy to notice wallowing in own tears. 

In a few month will have a new coach and a new QB.  And while I understand feeling sh*tty about the present.  But it makes no sense to feel worse about a future that hasn't even happened yet. 

in the end we were countingon mccagnans biggestgamble...   and he's a ******* bad gambler....

Vintage Money GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GreekJet said:

I know Stafford has been injury prone,

8 straight seasons with 16 starts, then misses 8 games and hasnt missed a game this year.  He broke his back and  missed his first game since 2010, ending a streak of 136 straight starts.  Stafford's streak was the 6th longest for a quarterback in league history.

What? 

Equally, Stafford saying he'll figure his future out later translates into Detroit making him available how exactly?  

Your threads are so Giant like

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to watch Stafford play more often.  He is way over rated in my opinion and I see him play a lot.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...