Is it fair yet to check in on Leveon Bell

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't think I can ever take a chance on a football player that has taken a year off. Especially for big money.

It is why I have extreme worries about how Moseley comes back next year.

Luckily, Mosley is not a RB. The RBs have a very short shelf life. A year off is taking off maybe 20% off their career. LBs reach their primes when RBs hit that wall. So I expect CJ to be ready for the game next year and dominate. 

52 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Unanimous by whom?

I admit that i was intrigued, but big $$$$ on a RB? Who does that? Especially for one with a year layoff. 

Look, if you want to play the nobody wanted this signing game, be my guest. When this was happening, a very high percentage of posters thought this was the best thing we could have done to help Darnold, 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

There was a pretty unanimous consensus that this was the best pickup we made in years . It didn't  work and he is now gone.

There were many dissenters. I hated the signing from the very first rumors that the Jets might go after him, and I was not alone. It was far from unanimous. He may be gone, but he left $15M in dead money as a parting gift. 

At least Mosley looked like he could play for that half that he actually did. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'm going to disagree there.   He is gone, but still counts as 4 million for next years caps plus the hit for this year.

Right, who is to blame for that? 

I think releasing Bell for nothing was the worst decision JD or any GM has made in years. Tell me we couldn't use him even as a backup to Gore. Tell me Adams is better #2 than Bell. Bell was not good, as a matter of fact he was way below average for a RB but he is better than a guy that started the season on the PS.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

There were many dissenters. I hated the signing from the very first rumors that the Jets might go after him, and I was not alone. It was far from unanimous. He may be gone, but he left $15M in dead money as a parting gift. 

I'm not going to keep defending this. Pretty unanimous to me means it wasn't totally. Honestly I don't remember this massive revolt everyone else does about signing Bell. A large percentage was in favor of it considering we had nothing on O and he was in his prime. 

And Bell didn't leave that parting gift, JD did. Who the Hell cuts a guy with that much dead money upcoming? That was stupid of him and we could use him right now.  

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Right, who is to blame for that? 

I think releasing Bell for nothing was the worst decision JD or any GM has made in years. Tell me we couldn't use him even as a backup to Gore. Tell me Adams is better #2 than Bell. Bell was not good, as a matter of fact he was way below average for a RB but he is better than a guy that started the season on the PS.

He has an injury guarantee in his contract for next year. Keeping him on the roster would have been the dumb move here

Bell being completely washed is no surprise to anyone who actually watches Jets games.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

It's basically going to have been two years for Mosley by the start of next season. They'll do whatever to minimize the financial hit but I doubt he sees the field for the Jets again.

What a giant sh*t show that winded up being. He plays a handful of snaps into a 4 year mega-deal and then never gets heard from again. 

Bell got a boat load of cash from the Jets and has gone from the jets and gase to Andy Read and the chiefs.  He has a legit chance to win a superbowl and he is ppaying with patrick mahommes in a zero pressure back up roll where he will not take much body abuse.

I'm sure right how he is getting "Great Googly Moogly" tattooed on his calf.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Most people here wanted him. Most people here couldn’t admit Darnold was bad. Start calling it as you really see it instead of being a homer and maybe the Jets start making better decisions. Bell was an awful signing and the Jets bid against themselves.

But then they call us SOJ Fans and it makes me sad! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Bell got a boat load of cash from the Jets and has gone from the jets and gase to Andy Read and the chiefs.  He has a legit chance to win a superbowl and he is ppaying with patrick mahommes in a zero pressure back up roll where he will not take much body abuse.

I'm sure right how he is getting "Great Googly Moogly" tattooed on his calf.

I mean, if his number one goal in signing with the Chiefs was to ride the coattails of others to a ring, he's in great shape to do that.

But presumably the goal was to go to a great offense that would utilize his skill set, prove the Jets were the reason he wasn't productive, and set himself up for his next contract. That has not happened at all. If anything, this has completely affirmed he's no longer a top notch player.

• Upvote 2

On 12/1/2020 at 8:51 AM, Scott Dierking said:

They guy was a HUGE part of what Macc  considered his rebuild. That money could have been spent in a lot of other areas and resources. Think about it, he gave huge money to a RB (with a year off) and a MILB.

We should all care.

which was 2 seasons removed from using our 1st rounder on a M/ILB, and a year after that - with all the holes on the team - using a top 6 pick on a safety, then the ensuing 2nd rounder on another safety.

It was like a comedy movie except no one would see it because it's not realistic enough.

But wait, there's more! Then after spending another #6 overall plus 3 more 2nd rounders - all relatively (if not absolutely) cheap contracts if you nail the picks - on the hopes Darnold slips to #3 (otherwise he'd be plenty happy with Mayfield or Rosen), he then takes with a DT from some school no one even knew existed. Compare what Baltimore did with a pair of even-later 3rd rounders in that same draft. 

Then with #3 overall the year after that, takes the same position yet again (when the team was basically fine there). Yeah Q was drafted to be a disrupter not just a solid starter, but ffs there are other positions. 

Maccagnan's twitter handle should be #nflfranchisepoison

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, slats said:

For what?

They cut him because he had an injury guarantee that could've left the Jets on the hook for more millions in 2021. Stupid signing from start to finish. 

Wonder if that's in part why he's being used so sparingly. Doubtful KC wants to be on the hook for his 2021 salary any more than the Jets did.

If Bell was smart he'd purposely sustain an injury while wearing a Chiefs jersey lol.

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, if his number one goal in signing with the Chiefs was to ride the coattails of others to a ring, he's in great shape to do that.

But presumably the goal was to go to a great offense that would utilize his skill set, prove the Jets were the reason he wasn't productive, and set himself up for his next contract. That has not happened at all. If anything, this has completely affirmed he's no longer a top notch player.

He was never going to go there and light it up unless CEH got hurt.  He was going there to be shady mccoy of previous years.

His results are zero suprise at all.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Seriously?  Unanimous?  I don’t recall that at all. 

Nor should you, many of us were against his signing for the now-obvious reasons of "too many miles on his tires" and "took a year off, won't be the same". 

Bell is and was the wrong kind of pickup, the "plug in an old worn out Veteran 'name" and hope he placates the Fans".  The Jets love broken old Vets.

I'm a broken record on this, but no more old men has beens or never was's. 

Youth is where it's at.  Try a kid, if he fails, try another.  They'll keep making more.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He was never going to go there and light it up unless CEH got hurt.  He was going there to be shady mccoy of previous years.

Right, Shady was a washed up has-been in a very limited role.

His results are zero suprise at all.

I certainly don't think they are. I'm sure that's not what Lev was thinking when he signed there, however. He was looking to prove people wrong.

1 hour ago, slats said:

i was ambivalent about the player, pretty astomished at the $. 

ended up with a tepid, " i can see what he's trying to do"  let's see what he's got. and he had nothing.

i could barely believe how slow he was. 

One thing about that Pittsburgh organization; they sure do know when someone is finished and when the time has come to cut bait. Neil O'Donnell comes off a Super Bowl and goes to The Jets and he ends up looking and playing like Al Woodall. Lev Bell leaves the Steelers b/c of $$ and signs with the Jets holding the best TPC average IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME,  Then he takes a year off and with fresh legs and a fresh body comes here and turns into an old man. How does that happen to the Jets time and time again?

They did offer him a good contract albeit the guaranteed money was lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk