Is it fair yet to check in on Leveon Bell

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes, butbif you are paying him, you might as well get something in return. Right now we are paying him to play for KC.

Bell was not going to help the Jets in any way this year. That is a sunk cost. The Jets may have been on the hook for an additional $8m, if Bell got hurt and could not play next year.

They smartly mitigated their exposure.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Could you imagine the Steelers brass discussing the Jets contract for Bell? There is a reason that team keeps reemerging time & again & are now 10-0. No one drafts better WRs, or LBs, Edge, and they always have a tough minded Oline. 

I wanted TJ Watt just for his pedigree. Many here wanted Claypool though I think Mims will be very good. 

Trumaine Johnson, Le'veon Bell, CJ Mosely, this f*cking Macster had his hands in on the 3 biggest free agent busts of the last 5 years! Crazy! 

My entire life following football I've been in awe of the Steelers ability to keep the pipeline stocked at certain positions. I can't be bothered to look up stats to back this up, but I would be willing to bet that the player they have fielded as their WR1 has probably been top 10, if not top 5 in the league over the past decade plus. Start with Ward and take it from there. They routinely let star WRs walk before the next huge contract and have another stud waiting to take over. Holmes, Wallace, etc etc. If they let Ju-Ju walk this year, I have no doubt in my mind that Claypool will take over. 

You can say the same thing about EDGE. In the decade I've been praying the Jets will find a pass rush, I've seen countless EDGE studs move through that organization. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bell got a boat load of cash from the Jets and has gone from the jets and gase to Andy Read and the chiefs.  He has a legit chance to win a superbowl and he is ppaying with patrick mahommes in a zero pressure back up roll where he will not take much body abuse.

I'm sure right how he is getting "Great Googly Moogly" tattooed on his calf.

Hes actually sitting on the sidelines for most of the game, contributing nothing when he does get into a game.  

His team has a legit chance of winning the SB and we'll see if hes given a share if they do win.  Think they still allocate winnings, that will be interesting to note

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wonder if that's in part why he's being used so sparingly. Doubtful KC wants to be on the hook for his 2021 salary any more than the Jets did.

If Bell was smart he'd purposely sustain an injury while wearing a Chiefs jersey lol.

KC didn't make a waiver claim. They gave him 1 year, $1M. He's not playing because he's toast. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bell got a boat load of cash from the Jets and has gone from the jets and gase to Andy Read and the chiefs.  He has a legit chance to win a superbowl and he is ppaying with patrick mahommes in a zero pressure back up roll where he will not take much body abuse.

I'm sure right how he is getting "Great Googly Moogly" tattooed on his calf.

Certainly it worked out well for Bell in the end.  He got massively overpaid here and now maybe gets a ring with KC.

But his lack of productivity in KC highlights just how bad the signing was here, and also confirms this isn't a player Gase "ruined".  

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Please name me all these players who are cut and have teams on the hook for 15 million over 2 years

Jax is paying Nick Foles $18M in dead money, The Rams have Brandin Cooks at $21M and Todd Gurley at $12M, NE gave Brady $13.5M, Miami's Rashad Jones has $10M, Carolina has two guys over $9.5M in Matt Kalil and Trai Turner... yeah, it happens. 

But again, in this case it's a really bad contract paid to a washed up player. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wonder if that's in part why he's being used so sparingly. Doubtful KC wants to be on the hook for his 2021 salary any more than the Jets did.

If Bell was smart he'd purposely sustain an injury while wearing a Chiefs jersey lol.

I thought his contract here was no longer a factor when he signed with KC?  Didn't he clear waivers?

Per overthecap.com, he signed a 1 year deal that only counts $705K against the cap, with $0 guaranteed.

7 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

One thing about that Pittsburgh organization; they sure do know when someone is finished and when the time has come to cut bait. Neil O'Donnell comes off a Super Bowl and goes to The Jets and he ends up looking and playing like Al Woodall. Lev Bell leaves the Steelers b/c of $$ and signs with the Jets holding the best TPC average IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME,  Then he takes a year off and with fresh legs and a fresh body comes here and turns into an old man. How does that happen to the Jets time and time again?

They’re also good at taking an apparent draft bust like James Farrior and making him an All Pro. Hoping the are high on Darnold actually. Would be perfect for him.

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

There was a pretty unanimous consensus that this was the best pickup we made in years . It didn't  work and he is now gone.

Hardly "unanimous". In fact, the majority were more critical than supportive IIRC. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

Jax is paying Nick Foles $18M in dead money, The Rams have Brandin Cooks at $21M and Todd Gurley at $12M, NE gave Brady $13.5M, Miami's Rashad Jones has $10M, Carolina has two guys over $9.5M in Matt Kalil and Trai Turner... yeah, it happens. 

But again, in this case it's a really bad contract paid to a washed up player. 

OK, it's a bit more common than I thought but still seems rare given the sample size of 32 teams there are 6 examples. I still think it is stupid the way the Jets did it because Bell tweeted something 

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I thought his contract here was no longer a factor when he signed with KC?  Didn't he clear waivers?

Per overthecap.com, he signed a 1 year deal that only counts $705K against the cap, with $0 guaranteed.

23 hours ago, slats said:

KC didn't make a waiver claim. They gave him 1 year, $1M. He's not playing because he's toast. 

Yep I forgot

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2020 at 3:22 PM, HessStation said:

They’re also good at taking an apparent draft bust like James Farrior and making him an All Pro. Hoping the are high on Darnold actually. Would be perfect for him.

I still believe that Darnold is going to be a great QB, this is a case of a bad head coach doing his worst to ruin a great prospect. I mean look at the kid he did the same thing to in Miami and what Ryan Tannenhill is becoming in Tenn, now. Now if the Jets are able to get this Lawrence kid I want the new HC to keep AND START Joe Flacco for 3 years or so and let him grow and learn under a Super Bowl winning QB, of course none of that will happen with the worst ownership in the game. Joe Flacco will be let go because of some BS reason of salary, same as it ever was it will continue to be with the Jets.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:04 AM, Scott Dierking said:

I don't think I can ever take a chance on a football player that has taken a year off. Especially for big money.

It is why I have extreme worries about how Moseley comes back next year.

Agreed Scott D, that dude is DONE, he has no desire left in his heart to play football. It goes back to that thing Parcells used to say; "If a player is thinking about retiring, he already has" That's what I see with that guy. He made so much money off the Jets for one half of football that it has to be the biggest swindle since the Lufthansa Heist 

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2020 at 3:22 PM, Matt39 said:

Most people here wanted him. Most people here couldn’t admit Darnold was bad. Start calling it as you really see it instead of being a homer and maybe the Jets start making better decisions. Bell was an awful signing and the Jets bid against themselves.

I didn’t want him