Darnold Is A Problem

choon328

31 minutes ago, AL047 said:

Its very sad watching Sam Darnold play did he have potential to be the best, yes he did. But what hurt him was the coaching on this team. A lot of coaches discipline their players mainly the QB. It seems that he wasn't disciplined at all by this coaching staff. What's amazing is his errant throws that he commits and we can't say its once in a blue moon, it almost every time he throws. 

I blame mainly the coaching staff starting with the head coach Adam Gase and it trickles down to the offensive coordinator and QB coach. They should be correcting Darnold and I personally see a lot of cuddling on their part. Look at backup QB Joe Flacco when he started over Darnold, he actually played the game better than Darnold with fewer throwing mistakes. In that time Darnold being benched the coaches did nothing to the effect of making him better. 

All the Jets should do is bench him the rest of the season!!!! Resign Joe Flacco, so he can start next season and let Trevor Lawrence learn behind him. Darnold should be traded in the offseason but he is not worth a first or a second round pick. No team will give up a pick that high for him, most teams will rather wait until Darnold gets cut. 

Its not the coaching. Sure you could argue the game plans , lack of talent and shoddy Oline play have made it difficult for him to succeed. But the issues we are seeing are not coaching related . Its on the QB to read defenses , pick up blitzes , hit open wr's and not force balls into triple coverage. Those mistakes are mental mistakes that any NFL caliber QB shouldn't make on a consistent basis regardless of who his coaching staff is. 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I separate real life "stupid" from sports, in the moment, "stupid."

But yes, Darnold's problems are definitely between the ears. He has always played frenetically and that suggests to me that he is nervous and constantly in a state of panic. He has trouble reading the field and going through his progressions in real time and he struggles mightily against the blitz.  Any way you slice it, that suggests his biggest issues are mental. 

good point. that was my tacit understanding of what we were discussing. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Burrow and Herbert look great on bad teams who lose.

Sam adds badness to a bad team. Baker would be be better than Sam here b/cbaker is better. 

Flacco just put up 28 pts 2 weeks in a row.

Sam is a nice kid. But he is outta his league. 

I get it you don't like Sam Darnold....  :) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Look. The Darnold story is super simple.

You found a kid who has all the physical tools of a QB, albeit only an average arm.  You stuck him at the position, and called him a QB.  You put him in a position where he didn't actually need to be a QB because his physical ability and the talent around him was far superior to his opponents, so he only had to play backyard QB.  No reads, no progressions.  Just guys getting open.

Then, you get him to the NFL, and still, at no point has he become an actual QB, and you put him in a league where the windows are tight and guys are actually covered, no matter what team you're on, and suddenly, he needs to be an actual QB.  But, he can't.  And, it's too late.  It's not the coaches fault.  He's just simply not an NFL QB.  The majority of the people on earth can't do it.  There's a reason why there's only a dozen or so good ones on the planet at any given time.

Could not have said it better.

We are seeing way way too many of these videos and when you add that up with terrible mechanics and terrible pocket awareness you get exactly what we are looking at. If he had one flaw you say ok maybe we can work with this but when any of 3 major flaws can show up on any given play its just not going to work. Honestly I'm still trying to figure out what scouts saw in college to rate him so high.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Burrow and Herbert look great on bad teams who lose.

Sam adds badness to a bad team. Baker would be be better than Sam here b/cbaker is better. 

Flacco just put up 28 pts 2 weeks in a row.

Sam is a nice kid. But he is outta his league. 

I don't think this offense is nearly as bad as some are suggesting. I think Sam Darnold is Terrible and Flacco is finished. When you make consistent bad decisions as a QB there is no possible way an offense can function. Mims and Crowder are good WR's Crowder is a top 5 slot guy in this league and Mims is showing what he's capable of and will shine with more targets. Perriman was on the upside the second half last year and the QB's here have constantly missed him in every conceivable way no reason this team can't put up points. You put a good QB in there and Sacks go down and big plays go up. Would it be nice to have a true #1 WR and a duel threat RB ? Sure ! But that's hopefully coming this year along with what we hope will be a good QB whether it be Lawrence or Fields.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its not the coaching. Sure you could argue the game plans , lack of talent and shoddy Oline play have made it difficult for him to succeed. But the issues we are seeing are not coaching related . Its on the QB to read defenses , pick up blitzes , hit open wr's and not force balls into triple coverage. Those mistakes are mental mistakes that any NFL caliber QB shouldn't make on a consistent basis regardless of who his coaching staff is. 

To prevent those mistakes from happening the coaches have to step in and fix the problem. But its always the same with him, where are the coaches to fix him? I understand one game it happens and you don't see it again but with Darnold its almost a every day thing with him!!!! That is why your paying millions in dollars to the coaching staff to fix these problems and make sure they don't flare up again.

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

Like I've been saying,  Darnold can not process quick enough post snap.  That's his biggest issue and talented QB's who fail in the NFL have this as their main problem as well. It's not a fixable flaw. 

Honestly, you try calmly processing things after 3 years playing for this dumpster fire. I agree he's shot here and we need to move on, but hope the poor kid gets a shot someplace else and does well. I don't need to beat the kid up at this point. The Jets franchise has already done that enough. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Why would I bet you a $1,000 for a QB and his uncertain future when I didn't want the Jets to draft him to begin with????

Whay do you insist that he is secretly good?

YOu'd bet if you believed, but you don't, simple.

And 1k is less than $1 a day over 3 yrs.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

You found a kid who has all the physical tools of a QB, albeit only an average arm.  You stuck him at the position, and called him a QB.  You put him in a position where he didn't actually need to be a QB because his physical ability and the talent around him was far superior to his opponents, so he only had to play backyard QB.  No reads, no progressions.  Just guys getting open.

Then, you get him to the NFL, and still, at no point has he become an actual QB, and you put him in a league where the windows are tight and guys are actually covered, no matter what team you're on, and suddenly, he needs to be an actual QB.  But, he can't.  And, it's too late.  It's not the coaches fault.  He's just simply not an NFL QB.  The majority of the people on earth can't do it.  There's a reason why there's only a dozen or so good ones on the planet at any given time.

Hence why you should never hold onto a guy "a year too long".  It's a far better decision to move on quickly from a QB who doesn't show he "has it" and try again with someone else. 

The Cardinals giving up on Josh Rosen after 13 starts and drafting Kyler Murray is exactly the way the NFL is going, and how it SHOULD be going. 

Ask people to name a QB who failed like Darnold had his first 3 years and went on to become a top-half QB later in his career and they either have to go back a long time (like Jim Plunkett or Rich Gannon) OR name someone who actually didn't play anywhere close to as badly as Darnold his first 3 years (like Ryan Tannehill).  

Meanwhile, ask someone to name a QB who was bad his first 3 years and stayed bad, and dozens upon dozens of examples can be reeled off.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I haven’t watched any games this year except Monday night with Flacco so I have no idea but when THIS BOARD turns on the kid basically lock step in unison. he must be done.  How sad for him and us.  The game I went to in DC last year he looked good. Rolling out, making throws, etc. but the next week we get shutout by CINN.  The kid just ....  I have no words.  Bring on the TANK!!!!!

Its legit bad. During the game I posted a picture....clean pocket, every rusher accounted for, no pressure, Darnold bails to the right sideline FOR NO REASON, throws across his body to inside the hashmarks, and tosses a brutal pick at midfield. 

Craptacular.

20201129_134709.thumb.jpg.ad708e1adee6164b2aa071c5e4a05401.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Right, seriously, who cares? Darnold was either never as good as people thought or was ruined by Gase -- or some combination of the two. We are moving on. No need to address this anymore.

Probably not, but you still had people as recently as 3 days ago saying Darnold, with his receivers finally healthy, was going to win 3+ games down the stretch and ruin the Jets draft slot, lol.

The time to move on was a while ago.  This week is the first one where everyone finally seems to be on board with that.  Or the remaining Darnold apologists are just in hiding, perhaps.

37 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Honestly, you try calmly processing things after 3 years playing for this dumpster fire. I agree he's shot here and we need to move on, but hope the poor kid gets a shot someplace else and does well. I don't need to beat the kid up at this point. The Jets franchise has already done that enough. 

Sam Darnold is an incompetent adult with an eight figure net worth. Please stop crying.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hence why you should never hold onto a guy "a year too long".  It's a far better decision to move on quickly from a QB who doesn't show he "has it" and try again with someone else. 

The Cardinals giving up on Josh Rosen after 13 starts and drafting Kyler Murray is exactly the way the NFL is going, and how it SHOULD be going. 

Ask people to name a QB who failed like Darnold had his first 3 years and went on to become a top-half QB later in his career and they either have to go back a long time (like Jim Plunkett or Rich Gannon) OR name someone who actually didn't play anywhere close to as badly as Darnold his first 3 years (like Ryan Tannehill).  

Meanwhile, ask someone to name a QB who was bad his first 3 years and stayed bad, and dozens upon dozens of examples can be reeled off.

Darnold has legit been far worse than Geno, but he's "likeable", so people wanted him to succeed. 

Ain't happening. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AL047 said:

Its very sad watching Sam Darnold play did he have potential to be the best, yes he did

No.

Even at his best, Darnold didn't do anything that was "special" when compared to other QB's around the league.  It's as if some people here don't watch any other QB's.  Just Darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Sam Darnold is an incompetent adult with an eight figure net worth. Please stop crying.

or maybe Sam needs a ******* drill sargeant to call him a ******* maggot spoiled POS and to get his ******* act together...

cos it really does seem like its been nothing except people telling him what a great QB he is.

give him the mArtz treament.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No.

Even at his best, Darnold didn't do anything that was "special" when compared to other QB's around the league.  It's as if some people here don't watch any other QB's.  Just Darnold.

I believe when he came into the league he had the potential to improve but as the time went by we began to see the true colors of his and his errors which could of been changed if the right coach or coaches had him. 

He could of been fixed, remember Allen coming out of college he was terrible and erratic at throwing and now he is totally different because of coaching.

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

and just our luck to not figure this out prior to the draft.  

although not sure we could have picked anyone else in that spot.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yep and I don't care how good of a HC or OC you have, on the field the QB has to be able to recognize blitzes and coverages. For whatever reason Sam is shot , he's playing shell shocked like David Carr in Houston . IMO even though he had some decent games later last season he hasn't been the same since having Mono. 

And what else started right when he got mono?     

Sam was better his 1st year then his 3rd.  
this poor kid has had two of the worst head coaches a player could have had.  

1 minute ago, Joe Jets fan said:

And what else started right when he got mono?     

Sam was better his 1st year then his 3rd.  
this poor kid has had two of the worst head coaches a player could have had.  

Again the mistakes Sam is making are NFL 101 and no HC can teach him that if he hasn't picked it up in 3 years,.  He's making mental mistakes. He can't read defenses or make line protection calls to thwart blitzes, throwing off his back foot and into triple coverages. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Darnold has legit been far worse than Geno, but he's "likeable", so people wanted him to succeed. 

Ain't happening. 

So you’re saying it was just bad luck that we didn’t have a backup linebacker punch Sam in the jaw over a welched bet so we could see some James Morgan?

You see, I knew this was all f**king Blake Cashman’s fault!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So you’re saying it was just bad luck that we didn’t have a backup linebacker punch Sam in the jaw over a welched bet so we could see some James Morgan?

You see, I knew this was all f**king Blake Cashman’s fault!

Being honest, given there was no preseason, handing Morgan some live reps over the next five games isn't a terrible idea.  You figure JD has to sign a veteran backup behind our new rookie QB.  So what's Morgan about in 2021?  The only risk is he's good and we win a couple of games...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AL047 said:

I believe when he came into the league he had the potential to improve but as the time went by we began to see the true colors of his and his errors which could of been changed if the right coach or coaches had him. 

He could of been fixed, remember Allen coming out of college he was terrible and erratic at throwing and now he is totally different because of coaching.

Josh Allen's turnaround is historically unprecedented.  No one with his college profile or first 2 years of NFL performance has ever turned his career around like this in NFL history.  Anticipating that that could, or would, have happened with Darnold simply with better coaching would have been a bad bet.  He's a slow processor, which is a trait that simply can't be "fixed".  

You'll see this at his next stop(s).  He's going to prove incapable of holding down a QB2 job and will be out of the league by no later than 2025, with his career going a similar path as Mark Sanchez's.