5 possible reasons.. ~ ~ ~

kelly

The Jets have never fired a head coach in the middle of the season, but it is still difficult to understand why Adam Gase is still roaming the sideline.

Gase has been an unmitigated disaster as New York’s head coach and 2020 has been the worst of the worst. The Jets have been largely uncompetitive throughout the year and have yet to notch their first win with only five chances left for them to do so.There’s no doubt that Gase’s days with New York are numbered — it’s nearly impossible to imagine any circumstance in which he returns in 2021. What has kept him with the Jets this long, though? Here are five possible reasons why Gase has yet to be shown the door.

No great in-house replacement

As bad as Adam Gase has been throughout his tenure with the Jets, it’s not like there is anyone else on his coaching staff worthy of running the show.Gregg Williams has head coaching experience on both a full and interim basis, but his defense has not exactly impressed in 2020 (although it looked much better in Week 12). If Gase were to get canned at some point before the end of the season, Williams would be the logical choice to take his place, but it’s not like he would propel New York to a strong showing down the stretch. Dowell Loggains isn’t that guy, either.With the alternative options they have, the Jets might feel it’s best to ride it out with Gase with only five games left. Appointing an interim coach this late in the season wouldn’t do New York any good.

They want to see more with a healthy offense

The Jets are seemingly never truly healthy on offense, but this is likely as good as it will get for Gase’s unit on that front this season.La’Mical Perine is on injured reserve and the offensive line is banged up, but Sam Darnold is back under center and he finally has all of his weapons to work with. Jamison Crowder, Denzel Mims and Breshad Perriman are all healthy, giving Darnold his top three wide receivers to work with for the first time in 2020.Darnold did not look good against the Dolphins with all of his weapons intact, but there are still five games left. Maybe New York brass wants to get a little bit of a longer look at what Gase can accomplish with a “healthy” group at his disposal.

They think this is best for Darnold

When rumors started swirling over Gase’s job status earlier this season, there were reports that the Jets felt firing the coach midseason would hurt Darnold’s development. Is it possible they still feel that way with Darnold in the midst of a critical evaluation period? Given Darnold’s poor play this season, it’s hard to see the logic in such reasoning. Then again, the idea never made much sense in the first place, so perhaps it’s one the Jets are still clinging to.Even if Gase isn’t back with New York next season, Joe Douglas and company can still evaluate Darnold under his watch. Gase can also offer his own evaluation before he is shown the door. Even though his shortcomings as a supposed offensive mastermind are well-documented at this point, that will carry some sort of weight.

Christopher Johnson might not have the power

Christopher Johnson has been running the Jets with Woody Johnson playing ambassador in the United Kingdom, but that doesn’t mean he has the authority to bring an end to Adam Gase’s time with the organization.Even though he has not been actively involved in New York’s day-to-day operations throughout the bulk of Gase’s tenure as head coach, Woody Johnson could very well be the one who has the say on Gase’s future, not Christopher.Just because Woody might have the final say doesn’t mean Gase won’t eventually be fired. It could be a big reason why he still has an office at One Jets Drive, though.

The Jets haven't made a final decision yet

There’s no way this is possible, right? The Jets are 0-11 and Gase is a major reason why. Darnold’s regression under his watch has been staggering and New York has underwhelmed in all three facets of the game.But this the Jets we’re talking about here.New York has made plenty of questionable decisions throughout its history. This would probably be the most head-scratching one, but it’s not impossible considering Gang Green’s track record of botching almost every key decision over the last decade.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/possible-reasons-why-new-york-jets-havent-fired-adam-gase-yet-sam-darnold-christopher-johnson/

697993866_1915639.gif

I think Gase is the only person they entrust with the Tank.  GW would have them win a game.  

I do believe that Gase is in on this in some way.  I also believe it is apparent that Gase is not a good HC or maybe even OC for that matter.  He is not a people person.  If I were Gase, I would be thinking about my next highest and best use.   So maybe there is some plan for Gase to go Executive or be more of an executive HC next year.  

Looking at JD, the Jets were willing to offer him $X for Y years with basically the same staff structure.  JD negotiated basically $2X in salary for 2Y years and more staff.  I think the Johnsons should be realizing that they need an Executive HC, a real OC and a real DC, with a real training and conditioning staff.  They stepped up with the DC and some ACs, but need to build up the staff more if they want to be competitive.  

Given his switcheroo with Loggains over playcalling, I don’t know if a real OC comes to this team.   But I think there is more here than meets the eye. 

• Upvote 1

You missed one:

6:  Adam Gase is the Football Man of Florham Park.  The Johnson's are no longer relying on the likes of Neil Glat and Mike Maccagnan for football advice and instead have brought in a legitimate football insider as a head coach to make all the decisions autonomously.  They are in this together for the long-haul and it is expected that a 5 win team hit with opt-outs, trades, releases, injuries, and a bust quarterback this could be a no-win season and they are prepared to deal with the fallout in this no-fans no-cost season.

All signs point to this.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 2

Reason 1, fing laughable Williams and Vitt have been interim guys before, Cooter could be

Reason 2, See more of what?  More of scoring 3 points a game and getting like 5 yards in a half?

Reason 3, Best for Darnold? LOL  Are these people even watching Darnold and jets games?

Reason 4, CJ has hired and fired coahes and GMs on his ow and now he does not have the power?  Who has the power? Woody?  Nope, not yet as mandated by the league.

Reason 5, Have not made a final decision yet.  This is perhaps legit because the jets brain trust are the dumbest people in football.

Not one of these is a valid reason.  There is no valid reason but I an give my invalid reason.

CJ thinks it is 'classy' to not fire a guy in season and also has no clue how to handle an in season firing.  Also, at this point Joe Douglas is a wreak gm, neutered by tje org structure from walking in and telling cj gase has to be fired.

• Sympathy 1

If Gase is being entrusted with the tank then one would need to understand what he is getting out of it.  He is not getting a different HC gig in the NFL..... ever.

So it is either some kind of huge golden parachute tied to the #1 overall pick or....

He has been promised a crack at the Trevor Lawrence/Joe Douglas rebuild.

I fear the latter is what is going on here.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

If Gase is being entrusted with the tank then one would need to understand what he is getting out of it.  He is not getting a different HC gig in the NFL..... ever.

So it is either some kind of huge golden parachute tied to the #1 overall pick or....

This is an excellent point and something I’ve been trying to figure out.  Gase is most definitely in on this, IMO.  It’s also improbable that he was promised a crack at coaching next year because that may discourage Trevor from declaring or he may simply say I’m not playing for gase.  So i suspect gase will get monetary compensation for his sacrifice, and then perhaps go to the college level for a while and try to rebuild, or build, a reputation.

This is something that baffles the mind of everyone here and around the sport world that loves football. Why does Adam Gase still have a job??? He would of been fired in any sport whether it was the beginning, middle or end of the season. But this organization, is a huge question mark on why they are keeping him around. 

Teams are already making moves for next season by firing head coaches while the Jets are on stand by, for what? There is nothing more that Adam Gase can do, the season was lost and there are no more excuses. Gase is not a genius like Charles Johnson thinks, and not a QB guru. What is the wait? Fire him now!!! 

The Johnson's better look at that stadium now because of the pandemic there are no fans in the stands. If they stick with Gase another season, the stands will look the same after the pandemic is gone. If they want to sell seats so badly, since that is the only thing they care about, then they should put a better product on the field. They need to act now and give GM Joe Douglas the power to fire Gase and hire his own coach. Basically stay out of the way and let the GM do his job!!!!

Right now its ridiculous that they are keeping Adam Gase this long!!!! It time to let him go and start getting ready for the interview process and getting the candidates lined up. Right now even with the Jets having the first pick in the draft, the Jets still don't look like a team a coach will want to come here. Being attractive to a coach is important and right now the Jets are not looking good!!!!

1 hour ago, kelly said:

The Jets have never fired a head coach in the middle of the season, but it is still difficult to understand why Adam Gase is still roaming the sideline.

It's to guarantee not only we get the first pick locked up, but we get what we've earned as life long Jets fans. The worst team in the history of the NFL. Rich Kotite's team would have been a 10 point favorite. 

Frankly, the Johnsons should have pulled the plug on Gase out of pure embarrassment of how their team is playing, and the perception of the Jets throughout the league. Simply because they have never fired a HC in the middle of the season (Charlie Winner was fired during the season in 1975) is not a reason not to do it now, as every situation is different. I for one am not big on in-season firing of NFL HC's, but I would have pulled the plug on Gase after this past Sunday's Dolphins game.  There simply is nothing left to evaluate and removing Gase would demonstrate that this is an unacceptable performance from the team. 

There really is no rationale that warrants keeping Gase on the sidelines any longer.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

You missed one:

6:  Adam Gase is the Football Man of Florham Park.  The Johnson's are no longer relying on the likes of Neil Glat and Mike Maccagnan for football advice and instead have brought in a legitimate football insider as a head coach to make all the decisions autonomously.  They are in this together for the long-haul and it is expected that a 5 win team hit with opt-outs, trades, releases, injuries, and a bust quarterback this could be a no-win season and they are prepared to deal with the fallout in this no-fans no-cost season.

All signs point to this.

SAR I

Curious as to what you’re new schtick is gonna be in 5 weeks when Gase is gone

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Gase isn’t losing games on purpose lol... he’s just so bad at coaching he won’t be able to find a win with this squad 

There are two ways to surprise a win in the NFL-change the QB, and change the coach.  

So much of the competition is preparation.  If a team does not have the right tape to look at, they are at a disadvantage.  That is why first time coaches and rookie QBs tend to surprise.  With Gase and the Jets, the NFL knew what to look at.   Same garbage from Miami.  

If you fire the HC mid-season, you start going through the contracts of the coaches on staff.  Who now gets paid more to be Interim HC, and Interim Coordinator?  That is money out of the Johnsons’ pocket.

So, firing a HC mid-season actually makes little sense.   There are no fans wearing paper bags.  The best thing to do is for the Jets to lose out, and even I don’t want to waste the Johnsons outside-the-salary cap money.  Keeping Gase is the clear answer now for the long-term future of this team.  

What happens to Gase on Black Monday, I don’t know.   I do not believe that Gase and Loggains can develop a rookie NFL QB.   Could Gase and an upgraded OC and QB coach?  Maybe.  

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

You missed one:

All signs point to this.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

You missed one:

All signs point to this.

SAR I

Jesus SAR, I will give you one thing: when you go down with the ship, you make sure you drink as much Kool-Aid as you can, even while you're under water.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

You missed one:

6:  Adam Gase is the Football Man of Florham Park. 

where's the buttfumble icon when you need it 

I like reason 4 Chris doesn't have the juice

here's some additional theories, all owner related 

-They fire Gase in January and we all celebrate like it's a playoff win, they do it now everyone shrugs  

-actively trolling the fans that remain because Woody hates us 

-no interest in winning because it all pays the same 

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

I have been saying this for months. I do not believe for one minute that the Jets are trying to tank, but I'm sure JD got CJ to agree to a complete rebuild, and likely CJ promised Gase he would still have a job next year since he couldn't be held responsible for sucking during a rebuild.

I seriously doubt Trevor entered into the discussion last off season. JD just convinced CJ he had to blow it up and start over.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Frankly, the Johnsons should have pulled the plug on Gase out of pure embarrassment of how their team is playing, and the perception of the Jets throughout the league.

There really is no rationale that warrants keeping Gase on the sidelines any longer.

Sure there is.

This is what happens when a franchise no longer gives a rats ass what its spoiled, entitled, foolish fans think and do what's right for long-term success.  It is clear that the Johnson's are turning a deaf ear to moronic social media and pathetic traditional media, ignoring the fans who weren't asked to spend a dime on tickets, and focusing on front office stability.  No more revolving door for head coaches and GM's because of whiny Mets fans.  Those days are over.

SAR I

49 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Jesus SAR, I will give you one thing: when you go down with the ship, you make sure you drink as much Kool-Aid as you can, even while you're under water.

What exactly makes today any different than last week, the week before, or the week before that?

Oh, because Gase made a flub and the media is extra-vicious this week?  Who cares?  Just the gullible Eyeore's who eat this stuff up, fills their Mets subconsciousness's with all the self-loathing and pity they need.

The Dolphins game, like the Patriots and Chargers games before it, featured the Jets putting up a good fight, a top effort, and coming up short because their roster is awful.  That's what a 5-11 team looks like when it loses all its top talent to injuries, trades, releases, and opt-outs.  This knee-jerk overreaction to every time Gase blinks is ridiculous, the guy is doing his best with the worst coaching job in professional sports.  

SAR I

You missed one:
All signs point to this.
SAR I

There are literally no signs that point to this.

18 minutes ago, viffer said:

I have been saying this for months. I do not believe for one minute that the Jets are trying to tank, but I'm sure JD got CJ to agree to a complete rebuild, and likely CJ promised Gase he would still have a job next year since he couldn't be held responsible for sucking during a rebuild.

I seriously doubt Trevor entered into the discussion last off season. JD just convinced CJ he had to blow it up and start over.

I absolutely believe that they are trying to tank at this point.  Obviously not all of them but a key few, yes I do think that.  Not the players. Not the position coaches with the exception of Williams. I think he has to "know" even if he doesn't know.

It is the fastest way back to respectability/competitiveness.  Get a true franchise QB with enough other picks to seriously improve OL and WR and I think we are in business.  Edge rusher would be gravy but I doubt that happens in addition to the other things

TBH it is the only path which allows Adam Gase a chance to rehabilitate his HC credentials.  Ever.  If he goes down to college he might get better College coaching gigs over time but not a 3rd crack at NFL HC'ing

The reason for firing a coach mid-season is not to inherently make the team perform better. The reason is for ownership to show the players you hope to keep and build around, the free agents you hope to sign in the future and the fans who support your business, that gross incompetence will not be tolerated. By keeping someone who is an utter failure at their job, you are saying that it's ok to suck, that winning doesn't matter. Is that how you "change" the culture?

3 hours ago, jago said:

There are literally no signs that point to this.

Every front office person Gase wanted gone is gone.

Every player Gase did not want is gone.

Every media hater Gase didn't like is gone.

Gase hired Douglas, a meek scout who can't challenge him.

Gase ousted Glat, installed inexperienced Elhai who he can control.

Adam Gase is the only Alpha in Florham Park and is calling all the shots.

SAR I

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

After all the years of failing the tank and getting the 6th pick, i think the johnsons finally realize that getting 2 or 3 meaninglesss wins is worse.  And i do think douglas got in CJ’s ear and said look, mccags really screwed up this team, the cap is bad, the signings are bad and most of his draft picks are bad.  I’m gonna fix this, I’m gonna trade adams and I’m gonna get rid of these bad contracts over time.  But keep gase with this terrible team, darnold will likely fail and we’ll have the justification to move on from him and hopefully get Trevor.  And if this is what douglas promised, why would CJ alter this plan?  Bechton and mims look great, Perine and a few of the other rookies look solid and they only need to lose 5 more games.  The plan is working perfectly.

I believe this is exactly what happened.  But, Gase had to be in on this decision - had to be!

And if he was then he should be expected to be back.

I don't think they were "Tanking" but it was more about ridding themselves of all the Mac stink in one season.  They couldn't have been thinking #1 pick overall, but they surely had already moved on from Sam.

Every front office person Gase wanted gone is gone.
Every player Gase did not want is gone.
Every media hater Gase didn't like is gone.
Gase hired Douglas, a meek scout who can't challenge him.
Gase ousted Glat, installed inexperienced Elhai who he can control.
Adam Gase is the only Alpha in Florham Park and is calling all the shots.

SAR I

JD will squash gase like a bug come week 17 and 1 day.

I've just about had it with this idea of "tanking".

No one in the NFL is intentionally trying to lose games. Do you really think that any of the players  on the team now give a crap about the draft pick? Do you really think that the front office is trying to lose games? The coaching staff knows that it is unlikely that they will get another job in the NFL after this mess. The talent level on this team has been abysmal for a few years now and it's just coming home to roost this year.

Here are some of the ramifications of tanking: lower rate of season ticket renewals (I was on the season ticket waiting list for 18 years, the waiting time is now 18 seconds), lower merchandise sales, lower revenue from parking and concessions, and generally less relevance in the NFL and the New York area. Seems like a lot to sacrifice for someone who may never be a star.

Tanking is a conspiracy theory only fans believe in. It's not a reality in the NFL.

35 minutes ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

I've just about had it with this idea of "tanking".

No one in the NFL is intentionally trying to lose games. Do you really think that any of the players  on the team now give a crap about the draft pick? Do you really think that the front office is trying to lose games? The coaching staff knows that it is unlikely that they will get another job in the NFL after this mess. The talent level on this team has been abysmal for a few years now and it's just coming home to roost this year.

Here are some of the ramifications of tanking: lower rate of season ticket renewals (I was on the season ticket waiting list for 18 years, the waiting time is now 18 seconds), lower merchandise sales, lower revenue from parking and concessions, and generally less relevance in the NFL and the New York area. Seems like a lot to sacrifice for someone who may never be a star.

Tanking is a conspiracy theory only fans believe in. It's not a reality in the NFL.

Yes because going 4-12 rather than 1-15 really avoids those negative consequences.

NBA teams openly tank, and they don't even have guaranteed draft slots.  It's naive to think it doesn't happen in the NFL, too.  

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes because going 4-12 rather than 1-15 really avoids those negative consequences.

NBA teams openly tank, and they don't even have guaranteed draft slots.  It's naive to think it doesn't happen in the NFL, too.  

Nobody intentionally loses games in any league. They may assemble a terrible roster devoid of much talent, but I guarantee those people on the field or on the court are trying to win the games.

Intentionally losing games will get your keister thrown in jail. See: point shaving.