Mims - Metcalf Comparison

BCJet

Watching how often Russel Wilson goes to DK Metcalf last night really makes me thing that Mims can be an elite player.  He isnt going to be a speed player like in the mold of Tyreke Hill (Ruggs) or a savvy route runner like Judy, but his ability to make contested catches is more important then route running in todays game.  Yea, there are guys like Antonion Brown who can beat a defender off the line with route running ability, but a good WR is gonna draw a top corner and you have to be able to make catches when you are covered if you want to be elite.  DK made a couple catches last night when he was blanketed because hes strong and physical at the catch point, which is exactly what Mims excels at.  Here are both their measurements along with Justin Jefferson who is playing the best of all the rookies.

Metcalf         6'4  229    4.33   40.5 Vertical  27 bench reps  7.38 3 cone and 34.88 inch arms

Mims            6'3  209  4.38  38.5 Vertical  16 bench reps  6.66 3 cone and 33.88 inch arms

Jefferson      6'1 202  4.43   37.5 Vertical  didnt bench   no 3 cone   and 33 inch arms

DK is a physical freak (and also somehow younger then Mims), but Mims compares closely enough to him to be able to be someone that an aggressive coach/QB attack when they have single coverage and either draw a penalty or make a big play.  Putting Crowder and someone like JuJu in the underneath roles and letting Mims get downfield should allow the offense to make a substantial leap once we have a competent coach and QB who knows where to go with the ball.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Watching how often Russel Wilson goes to DK Metcalf last night really makes me thing that Mims can be an elite player.  He isnt going to be a speed player like in the mold of Tyreke Hill (Ruggs) or a savvy route runner like Judy, but his ability to make contested catches is more important then route running in todays game.  Yea, there are guys like Antonion Brown who can beat a defender off the line with route running ability, but a good WR is gonna draw a top corner and you have to be able to make catches when you are covered if you want to be elite.  DK made a couple catches last night when he was blanketed because hes strong and physical at the catch point, which is exactly what Mims excels at.  Here are both their measurements along with Justin Jefferson who is playing the best of all the rookies.

Metcalf         6'4  229    4.33   40.5 Vertical  27 bench reps  7.38 3 cone and 34.88 inch arms

Mims            6'3  209  4.38  38.5 Vertical  16 bench reps  6.66 3 cone and 33.88 inch arms

Jefferson      6'1 202  4.43   37.5 Vertical  didnt bench   no 3 cone   and 33 inch arms

DK is a physical freak (and also somehow younger then Mims), but Mims compares closely enough to him to be able to be someone that an aggressive coach/QB attack when they have single coverage and either draw a penalty or make a big play.  Putting Crowder and someone like JuJu in the underneath roles and letting Mims get downfield should allow the offense to make a substantial leap once we have a competent coach and QB who knows where to go with the ball.

3 very very different players youre comparing with those physicals..  Only similarity between mims and metcalfs game was that they were both seen as a straight line speed big tall WR who needed route running work.  

The notion that route running ability is not as important in todays game i just flat out have to disagree with.  Watch these games closely, the route running ability is offfffff the charts on these top guys.  And heres the crazy thing... normally youd think its just the smaller guys like edleman that run these surgical routes, naaa not anymore, these big guys are getting into the mix.   

Jefferson already this year has flashed top notch route running ability.  His second TD last week was masssssterful, literally you can teach to that film.  DK to his insane credit has so significantly improved his route running you wouldnt believe he was the same player you saw coming out of Ole Miss.   The difference with the bigger faster guys like him is that he probably takes an extra step coming out of his breaks because of his size and the force he's applying to the route, but even with that his break point and set up of routes is so vastly improved its one of the main reasons if not the number 1 reason he's having the season he is having. 

Mims has a chance to be really really good, he's gotta bulk up a little bit and work on his route running which he's behind the 8 ball a little bit because of the hammy issues this year.  Already though you see he's improved in some areas of the game that he was critisized coming out on, Break points are slightly better, still needs work on his hip drop, and his release moves have been effective so far even if he needs to improve its much better than I saw at baylor. 

• Upvote 4

3 very very different players youre comparing with those physicals..  Only similarity between mims and metcalfs game was that they were both seen as a straight line speed big tall WR who needed route running work.  
The notion that route running ability is not as important in todays game i just flat out have to disagree with.  Watch these games closely, the route running ability is offfffff the charts on these top guys.  And heres the crazy thing... normally youd think its just the smaller guys like edleman that run these surgical routes, naaa not anymore, these big guys are getting into the mix.   
Jefferson already this year has flashed top notch route running ability.  His second TD last week was masssssterful, literally you can teach to that film.  DK to his insane credit has so significantly improved his route running you wouldnt believe he was the same player you saw coming out of Ole Miss.   The difference with the bigger faster guys like him is that he probably takes an extra step coming out of his breaks because of his size and the force he's applying to the route, but even with that his break point and set up of routes is so vastly improved its one of the main reasons if not the number 1 reason he's having the season he is having. 
Mims has a chance to be really really good, he's gotta bulk up a little bit and work on his route running which he's behind the 8 ball a little bit because of the hammy issues this year.  Already though you see he's improved in some areas of the game that he was critisized coming out on, Break points are slightly better, still needs work on his hip drop, and his release moves have been effective so far even if he needs to improve its much better than I saw at baylor. 

I think DK is a more imposing player than Mims (who is very physical in his own right), but Mims is WAY more agile than Metcalf. Metcalf got knocked for a poor 3 come while Mims had 1 of (if not the top) 3 cones in last year’s combine. Mims is going to be a monster next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This comparison can take off the green tinted glasses and stop right here... 

1606868911963.png

Green colored glasses or is it just Football 101 comparisons? 

NCAA Stats:

Denzel Mims: 40 games. 186 receptions (4.65 catches per game), 2,925 receiving yards (73.1 receiving yards per game), 15.7 yards per catch and 28 TD receptions (0.7 TD receptions per game). 

D.K Metcalf: 21 games. 67 receptions (3.19 catches per game), 1,228 receiving yards (58.4 receiving yards per game), 18.3 yards pee catch and 14 TD receptions (0.6 TD receptions per game). 

Their first 5 NFL games:

Denzel Mims: 17 receptions, 284 receiving yards and 0 TD's (catch rate of 51.5%). 

D.K Metcalf: 12 receptions, 267 receiving yards and 2 TD receptions (catch rate of 46.2%). 

There. I just compared the two. 

(PS: you should really take off your Russell Wilson lime green tinted glasses)...

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Green colored glasses or is it just Football 101 comparisons? 

NCAA Stats:

Denzel Mims: 40 games. 186 receptions (4.65 catches per game), 2,925 receiving yards (73.1 receiving yards per game), 15.7 yards per catch and 28 TD receptions (0.7 TD receptions per game). 

D.K Metcalf: 21 games. 67 receptions (3.19 catches per game), 1,228 receiving yards (58.4 receiving yards per game), 18.3 yards pee catch and 14 TD receptions (0.6 TD receptions per game). 

Their first 5 NFL games:

Denzel Mims: 17 receptions, 284 receiving yards and 0 TD's (catch rate of 51.5%). 

D.K Metcalf: 12 receptions, 267 receiving yards and 2 TD receptions (catch rate of 46.2%). 

There. I just compared the two. 

(PS: you should really take off your Russell Wilson lime green tinted glasses)...

Give me a direct comparison of their entire 2020 seasons without mentioning Russell Wilson. 

When Mims puts up a season like Metcalf is having, we can compare more closely. 

I dont give two sh*ts about their college stats right now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Mims was one of my favorite players in the draft. I was pissed we traded back at 48. The fact that we got him at 59 is miraculous. JD is amazing and Mims is a stud. it will be fun to watch his career. 

“Fun to watch” yeah , last time we got to say that? I’ll take it! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think DK is a more imposing player than Mims (who is very physical in his own right), but Mims is WAY more agile than Metcalf. Metcalf got knocked for a poor 3 come while Mims had 1 of (if not the top) 3 cones in last year’s combine. Mims is going to be a monster next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its hard to compare anyone physically to Metcalf.  The dude is literally in a small percentage of the human race of ability and physicality.  It's crazy to see how he's improved his route running at his size and stature. I know a ton of pro trainers that looked at him coming out and were like "he can be good, but never thought his route running would look like this".  Watch the film, its crazy. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Mims was one of my favorite players in the draft. I was pissed we traded back at 48. The fact that we got him at 59 is miraculous. JD is amazing and Mims is a stud. it will be fun to watch his career. 

I wanted the Jets to grab their nuts and take DK at #3 Overall, but what do I know.....

10 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Its hard to compare anyone physically to Metcalf.  The dude is literally in a small percentage of the human race of ability and physicality.  It's crazy to see how he's improved his route running at his size and stature. I know a ton of pro trainers that looked at him coming out and were like "he can be good, but never thought his route running would look like this".  Watch the film, its crazy. 

Kinda makes you wonder how bad Gase could make him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

GB I remember you and I going back and forth over who we liked better, Claypool or Mims.  It turns out we were right about both.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

I honestly see Mims as a slightly less version of prime A.J. green if he improves his route running

What makes you think he is bad at route running. Have you seen his senior bow 1 on 1 video? He has the highest rating ever in route running from PFF in those drills

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

“Fun to watch” yeah , last time we got to say that? I’ll take it! 

Four and and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent . . .

For those on here not born yet or too young to witness or remember the greatness of Al Toon (he really was that good), we might be in for a potential treat. It's apples and oranges in many respects, but I'm ready for it already. Let's go.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Four and and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent . . .

For those on here not born yet or too young to witness or remember the greatness of Al Toon (he really was that good), we might be in for a potential treat. It's apples and oranges in many respects, but I'm ready for it already. Let's go.

Yeah, that’s about how long. Yet, rather than just watch this kid go play we gotta be comparing apples to cantaloupes. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dcJet said:

This is so over the top.

Toon was great. DK is great.  Claypool is already a star.  Mims hasn't done d*ck.

It's amazing how many Jets fans on this forum hate on Jets rookies. It's rather pathetic. 

It's a COMPARISON. Do you even understand what that word means? He didn't say Mims is as good Metcalf. But it does beg to wonder how good Mims would be doing with Russell Wilson instead of Flacco/Darnold. 

I can't wait until we get Trevor Lawrence and he throws his first INT and people like you can start whining about him too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

11 minutes ago, dcJet said:

This is so over the top.

Toon was great. DK is great.  Claypool is already a star.  Mims hasn't done d*ck.

Yet, compare him To the wideouts drafted by the last two GMs  the fact he made it on the field and has contributed is prettt nifty. Plus, he’ll be better once we are honestly trying to win games. 

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I honestly see Mims as a slightly less version of prime A.J. green if he improves his route running

That's a good comp right there!  As soon as you said it I could see it.

His speed, aggressiveness towards the ball, size, etc....already there. I think if Mims can add other routes to his repertoire, can improve his fluidity and look just a little bit more like a natural pass catcher then he has everything needed to be a high-end WR1.

What Mims lacks to some degree is that "art of being a WR" right now.  It's hard for me to describe but you kinda know it when you see it.  A guy who looks effortless and smooth in his route running, who has soft hands that almost seem to act like a vacuum cleaner for the football.  Smooth, artful WRs like Larry Fitzgerald, Chris Carter, Deandre Hopkins, etc.  who don't always blow you away with size/speed/athleticism (although they each have some or a lot of those things) but they're just guys who seem like born WRs.  There are a couple guys in this class who I think have that.... Justin Jefferson and Jerry Jeudy, possibly others as well but those two stand out to me.  Mims isn't quite that type of guy but as I said above, his size, speed and aggression towards the football are great.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1