If/When Gase is fired, these are the 10 most likely replacements IMHO

I think most of us agree Gase will be fired on Black Monday.   

Who will replace him?  I'm going to go on the assumption that it will be an offense coach with QB development skills.  As bat guano crazy as the Johnson's are, I think they had the right idea in Gase, if the wrong person.  Joe Douglass will also insist on an offensive / QB coach whether they decide to draft a QB #1 or stick with Darnold.  I will go so far as to say that any rumor you hear between now and then about the Jets being interested in any defensive coach is without doubt a ridiculous rumor on its face and should be summarily ignored.

IF/WHEN Gase gets fired, these are the 10 most likely replacements IMHO

1. Brian Daboll, Bills Offensive Coordinator
  2. Nathaniel Hackett, Packers  Offensive Coordinator 
  3. Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs Offensive Coordinator 
  4. Brian Schottenheimer, Seahawks Offensive Coordinator (I know, I know)
  5. Byron Leftwich, Tampa Offensive Coordinator 
  6. Greg Roman, Ravens  Offensive Coordinator
  7. Pete Charmichael, Saints Offensive Coordinator 
  8. Joe Brady,  Panthers Offensive Coordinator (31 Years Old)
  9. Mike Kafka, Chiefs QB Coach
  10. Bill O'Brien, Ex-Texans Head Coach (I know, I know)
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not sold on Daboll at all.  The supposed QB development skills are a bit questionable, considering his only run as an NFL QB coach was with the friggin' Jets, where he's credited for greats such as Kellen Clemens and Erik Ainge.  He also managed to get himself very quickly fired from every pre-Bills coordinator job he got.

Don't get me wrong, he most certainly deserves credit for what he's gotten out of their offense this year, but that on its own seems a little lacking to have him launched to the top of the list when looking at the red flags that came before that, as even his first two years in Buffalo ranged from awful to mediocre in offensive performance.  I'm not exactly excited about a guy with a questionable track record for much of his career prior to this season and the only other "highlights" being as a Patriots assistant, which hardly has the greatest track record for head-coaching success.

Of course, if he gets the job I'll gladly be rooting to be excessively wrong about him, but if anything he seems like exactly the kind of guy the Jets would typically hire... which is not a compliment.

Jesus. To think at one time for about 17 seconds I thought Erik Ainge was the guy. 

40 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Arthur Smith (OC, Tenn, a team that has a defensive head coach from the belichek tree) has got to be the number 1 candidate

He'd be my 2nd favorite candidate outside of Jim Harbaugh. 

He's been Tennessee's OC for two years now (2019/2020) and here in 2020 they've got the 6th highest rated scoring offense (only behind GB, KC, Seattle, Pittsburgh and New Orleans) and the 8th ranked highest offense in total yards per game. 

More importantly (behind a fierce run game) he's got Ryan Tannehill playing at an extremely high efficiency rate while (over the past two years combined)  going 418/620 (67.4%), 5,350 passing yards, 45 TD's/10 INT's and an insane QB Rating of 111.7. 

I will say this. If we're to trust him with a younger Trevor Lawrence? We MUST draft an absolute HORSE in Najee Harris out of Alabama with the first pick of the 2nd round (a smaller more elusive back like Travis Etienne wouldn't work in Arthur's smash mouth style of power run game however Najee Harris would absolutely flourish within it as does Derrick Henry; who looked nothing like he's done over the past two years with Smith compared to his first 3 seasons without him as OC). 

And if having a super young QB/RB/WR trio in Lawrence/Najee/Mims I believe it'll become another must for JD to land us a veteran dog in Allen Robinson as a true #1 physical WR on the outside. 

I'm all for Arthur Smith (if not Jim Harbaugh) but under only one circumstance; we sign and draft players who fit his system and Najee/Allen Robinson are two of those players who naturally fit. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Who will replace him?  I'm going to go on the assumption that it will be an offense coach with QB development skills.  As bat guano crazy as the Johnson's are, I think they had the right idea in Gase, if the wrong person.  Joe Douglass will also insist on an offensive / QB coach whether they decide to draft a QB #1 or stick with Darnold.  I will go so far as to say that any rumor you hear between now and then about the Jets being interested in any defensive coach is without doubt a ridiculous rumor on its face and should be summarily ignored.

Joe brady no thanks

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

None of the above.

Like it, or not.  Agree with it, or not I personally believe the Jets will be looking for the Parcells like guy won’t matter what side of the ball.  They had the right idea last time but phucked it up by squeezing Rhule.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Arthur Smith (OC, Tenn, a team that has a defensive head coach from the belichek tree) has got to be the number 1 candidate

I think I needs new pants.

I can totally get on board with this, unfortunately I think this is the first time the Jets will skim over the young cheaper inexperienced coordinators for a old washed up supposed field general.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

If we hire Bienemy, it will set us back another 4 years. 

Wash and repeat. 

There's a reason the man has went through 2-3 hiring cycles with no offers. He is getting to these interviews and then bombing them because he isnt Andy Reid. That much is obvious. 

If it comes down to bienemy or Roman I prefer Roman

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

3fe4e12f8090d0944922d2b00bf118e1.jpg.3e3fc071837b1f29615757d4b59472be.jpgs-gatorade.jpg.e9b58b10c63c9474368d30bf4e0384c1.jpg920x920.jpg.4f1361408255e7ef619db7beaa6abb3f.jpg

alexharbaugh.0.gif.5d93b7b33c74f44051835d8649b90539.gif137013875_8.jpg.df1980e1025f8063cca4bd01beccd222.jpg915092923_images(4).jpeg.112a5025a2bae0b9bd501a72bcb39d43.jpeg

harbaughYES.gif

Trevor Lawrence deserves him as an NFL head coach. 

• 14 years as an NFL QB. 

• The last time he had a QB with Trevor Lawrence's upside was a Freshman/Sophomore Andrew Luck; who he turned into the greatest QB prospect since Elway/Manning & went 12-1 @ Standford during Luck's Sophomore season (before bolting for the NFL). 

• Turned Alex Smith from a former #1 overall bust into an instant and immediate winner. 

• Led an average Kaep into the SB..

• .695% winning percentage.

• 5th highest NFL Head Coaching Winning Percentage of All-Time. 

• 4 NFL seasons consisting of 0 losing seasons, 3 NFL Championship Games & 1 SB Appearance. 

Jim Harbaugh deserves a 2nd NFL stint alongside of Trevor Lawrence just like Bill Belichick deserved a 2nd NFL stint alongside of Tom Brady (he deserves to be listed as a top 10 candidate on your list too, because if not; your top 10 list is an absolute joke imo without his name listed above).  

The most obvious choice and he will be available 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, doitny said:

why do we think that OC make the best coaches for QBs. 

Parcells 2 yr DC.....

Belichick 6yr DC ...

Carroll 4 yr DC...

Don Shula 2 yr DC

Tom Landry 6yr DC

Marty Schottenheimer DC

Chuck Noll never a DC. ..DB for 6 years

Jeff Fisher DC

Mike Tomlin   DC one year, 8 yrs DB coach

Bill Cowher DC

Tony Dungy DC

John Harbaugh  never a DC...9 yrs a ST coach

my point is that these are some of the best HC in NFL history and there on defense.

i dont believe in the QB whisperer. i believe the QB either has the talent or not. 

and the HC should be a motivator. its the OC and DC that get into the X and Os

every HC i mentioned had great QBs. and they also drafted some not so great QBs. 

Landry and Shula were there for over 20+ years, not every high QB pick turned out to be Dan Marino

i dont know who the best DC is out there. im just saying we shouldnt dismiss them because they coach defense. 

Agreed wholeheatedly!  Suggesting you need to hire an offensive minded head coach because you have a crappy offense is simple minded.  Hire the best coach period.  Motivator who sees the big picture.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The pool of possible head coaching candidates for 2021 is kinda weak.  My prediction on December 2nd is that Jason Garrett will be the choice of the Johnson brothers.  

I could definitely see that, courtesy of John Mara talking Garrett up to the Johnsons over Christmas cocktails as a way to get him off the payroll. 

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The hypothetical success or failure of Harbaugh hinges on the relationship between him and JD. If the Johnson's make the hire without the blessing of JD, we can get used to another 5 years of garbage time football. This goes for any head coaching hire. 

I like the idea of Harbaugh, but I think this is right. Harbaugh’s personality is grating and semi-hinged. Douglas seems to want to stay in the background anyway, but making Harbaugh the forward face of a New York franchise could get ugly quick if he doesn’t win right away. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I like the idea of Harbaugh, but I think this is right. Harbaugh’s personality is grating and semi-hinged. Douglas seems to want to stay in the background anyway, but making Harbaugh the forward face of a New York franchise could get ugly quick if he doesn’t win right away. 

There is a zero percent chance the Johnson’s pay Harbaugh even close to what he’ll want.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There is a zero percent chance the Johnson’s pay Harbaugh even close to what he’ll want.

I am operating on the unfounded belief that Chris Johnson had a coming to Jesus moment when he fired Maccagnan and he knows that he isn’t qualified to be around the football ops anymore. At some point, after the many repeated failures and public floggings, the light has to have gone on.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I am operating on the unfounded belief that Chris Johnson had a coming to Jesus moment when he fired Maccagnan and he knows that he isn’t qualified to be around the football ops anymore. At some point, after the many repeated failures and public floggings, the light has to have gone on.

Narrator-

well, you know the rest

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Every single one of these would be a horrible choice. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

IMO - this team cant hire a first time Head Coach and having Bill O'Brien on this list is absolutely insane.  This is such a dire situation, they need someone who is experienced to navigate through the ineptness of the organization.  Adam Gase is a disaster, the worst HC I've ever seen in the NFL, hands down BUT him at least having experience identified that this team was going nowhere fast under Big Mac.

I just think asking a first time HC to bring this team from the lowest point in franchise history and hitting reset with potentially the #1 overall pick (arguably the most important pick in the history of the franchise) is way to much to ask a first time HC.  

Jim Harbaugh would be my #1 choice but it aint happening, he's not coming to NY to work for the Johnson's who lets be real, arent paying him the price tag he'd be demanding.

The former Head Coaches I'd be talking to are: Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak, Jim Caldwell, Marvin Jones and Rex Ryan.  Proven winners who have proven they can rise above ineptness of an organization, provide stability and create a winning culture.

It's too risky to go with a first time HC in this situation.