If/When Gase is fired, these are the 10 most likely replacements IMHO

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

IMO - this team cant hire a first time Head Coach and having Bill O'Brien on this list is absolutely insane.  This is such a dire situation, they need someone who is experienced to navigate through the ineptness of the organization.  Adam Gase is a disaster, the worst HC I've ever seen in the NFL, hands down BUT him at least having experience identified that this team was going nowhere fast under Big Mac.

I just think asking a first time HC to bring this team from the lowest point in franchise history and hitting reset with potentially the #1 overall pick (arguably the most important pick in the history of the franchise) is way to much to ask a first time HC.  

Jim Harbaugh would be my #1 choice but it aint happening, he's not coming to NY to work for the Johnson's who lets be real, arent paying him the price tag he'd be demanding.

The former Head Coaches I'd be talking to are: Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak, Jim Caldwell, Marvin Jones and Rex Ryan.  Proven winners who have proven they can rise above ineptness of an organization, provide stability and create a winning culture.

It's too risky to go with a first time HC in this situation.

I feel like Mike Shanahan is too old at this point (he's already 68).  Jim Caldwell would be a reasonable fallback option imo (winning in Detroit is quite an achievement).  Gary Kubiak is also reasonable.  Jim Harbaugh I'm really starting to sour on.  I have no idea what's going on with him in Michigan but, if we bring him here and he flops, the narrative will be "wtf were the Jets thinking bringing this guy in here when his trajectory in Michigan was straight into the ground?!"

Imo, the first calls we need to make are to Matt Campbell and Urban Meyer.  Matt Campbell would be the type of guy who could really put his stamp on the team and could potentially be a long-term solution.   If he's not interested then we should at least put in a call to Urban Meyer.  I know the odds are that Urban isn't interested but he might at least take the call if we're in position to draft Trevor.  I'd try to make him an offer that would overwhelm him.  For example, 10 years at the highest salary in the NFL.  I realize he's the type of guy who will probably talk about leaving after 1 year (likely for health reasons), btw, but I'd still offer him a long-term deal to try our best to encourage him to stick around (I think he's only in his mid-50's btw).  This is the one guy worth that would be worthy of that drama, imo, because I think he'll instantly be one of the top HC's in the NFL.  The guy is a winner and has one of the most creative offensive minds in football (college or the pros).

Fwiw, I'd definitely be open to hiring Pat Fitzgerald as well.  He seems like more of an old school HC to me but he's at least having a lot of success at a (traditionally) non-elite program.

I'd also be very interested in Doug Pederson but he probably would drive us mad as some point with his insane "the analytics say to go for 2" moves.  But he's obviously won a Superbowl (with a team in green, no less!)  and he's worlds better than the sludge of a HC we have now.

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I feel like Mike Shanahan is too old at this point (he's already 68).  Jim Caldwell would be a reasonable fallback option imo (winning in Detroit is quite an achievement).  Gary Kubiak is also reasonable.  Jim Harbaugh I'm really starting to sour on.  I have no idea what's going on with him in Michigan but, if we bring him here and he flops, the narrative will be "wtf were the Jets thinking bringing this guy in here when his trajectory in Michigan was straight into the ground?!"

Imo, the first calls we need to make are to Matt Campbell and Urban Meyer.  Matt Campbell would be the type of guy who could really put his stamp on the team and could potentially be a long-term solution.   If he's not interested then we should at least put in a call to Urban Meyer.  I know the odds are that Urban isn't interested but he might at least take the call if we're in position to draft Trevor.  I'd try to make him an offer that would overwhelm him.  For example, 10 years at the highest salary in the NFL.  I realize he's the type of guy who will probably talk about leaving after 1 year (likely for health reasons), btw, but I'd still offer him a long-term deal to try our best to encourage him to stick around (I think he's only in his mid-50's btw).  This is the one guy worth that would be worthy of that drama, imo, because I think he'll instantly be one of the top HC's in the NFL.  The guy is a winner and has one of the most creative offensive minds in football (college or the pros).

Fwiw, I'd definitely be open to hiring Pat Fitzgerald as well.  He seems like more of an old school HC to me but he's at least having a lot of success at a (traditionally) non-elite program.

I'd also be very interested in Doug Pederson but he probably would drive us mad as some point with his insane "the analytics say to go for 2" moves.  But he's obviously won a Superbowl (with a team in green, no less!)  and he's worlds better than the sludge of a HC we have now.

Harbaugh is really the only college coach I'm interested in that is realistic. I dont think anyone is judging his entire career on this 1 season.  He's consistently had Michigan in the top 10.  He cant beat OSU, not really sure he's to blame.  Michigan is 2nd rate and that's not easy to overcome.

I dont think Urban will ever coach in the NFL  He's a perfectionist and losing as much as he would in the NFL would drive him crazy.  He couldnt handle the trials of an SEC schedule so he quit and had to bail to a place he knew he could run the table every year playing a cupcake schedule, he cant handle the trials and tribulations of NFL. 

I like Matt Campbell but I just dont see why he'd accept interviews this time around.  Seems pretty happy at Iowa St.  I would be onboard with this though, he's a program builder.  His turn around of that program is legit and might the most impressive in the NCAA.  Just doesnt seem like he wants to go anywhere, that could obviously change.  

A big HELL NO to Pat Fitzgerald.   Watching Northwestern is what I would imagine watching Football in the 50's felt like.  He would be the worst hire ever IMO for Trevor Lawrence....and he's had a couple of 10 wins seasons but he took over a program that had a winning record/and a bowl appearance.  It wasnt like they were a complete disaster as Campbell and my next name.

The college name that is most enticing for me is Luke Fickell.  You want to talk about a real turnaround, Fickell is your guy.  Tommy Tubberville literally ran Cinci into the ground.  Inherited a good program, destroyed it, brought them to their knees and then Fickell came in, won 4 games and has proceed to win 11 in back to back seasons and is currently undefeated and vying for the playoffs. 

I just dont love the idea of pulling from the college ranks but if it's Harbaugh, I wouldnt cry over Campbell or Fickell though,

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Nathanal Hacketts dad is Paul Hackett. Cross him off the list just for that. And you gotta be kidding me with Bill O’Brien? I’d rather Jason Garret.

Also you can cross off  all these guys for me except Brady, Bienemy, and Daboll. Those seem the best 3 candidates 

jason garrett should be on the list.  can't say i know why the cowgirls underachieved with him as coach.  i suspect jerry jones had something to do with it.

just say no to hack job jr., and schi**y.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Harbaugh is really the only college coach I'm interested in that is realistic. I dont think anyone is judging his entire career on this 1 season.  He's consistently had Michigan in the top 10.  He cant beat OSU, not really sure he's to blame.  Michigan is 2nd rate and that's not easy to overcome.

I dont think Urban will ever coach in the NFL  He's a perfectionist and losing as much as he would in the NFL would drive him crazy.  He couldnt handle the trials of an SEC schedule so he quit and had to bail to a place he knew he could run the table every year playing a cupcake schedule, he cant handle the trials and tribulations of NFL. 

I like Matt Campbell but I just dont see why he'd accept interviews this time around.  Seems pretty happy at Iowa St.  I would be onboard with this though, he's a program builder.  His turn around of that program is legit and might the most impressive in the NCAA.  Just doesnt seem like he wants to go anywhere, that could obviously change.  

A big HELL NO to Pat Fitzgerald.   Watching Northwestern is what I would imagine watching Football in the 50's felt like.  He would be the worst hire ever IMO for Trevor Lawrence....and he's had a couple of 10 wins seasons but he took over a program that had a winning record/and a bowl appearance.  It wasnt like they were a complete disaster as Campbell and my next name.

The college name that is most enticing for me is Luke Fickell.  You want to talk about a real turnaround, Fickell is your guy.  Tommy Tubberville literally ran Cinci into the ground.  Inherited a good program, destroyed it, brought them to their knees and then Fickell came in, won 4 games and has proceed to win 11 in back to back seasons and is currently undefeated and vying for the playoffs. 

I just dont love the idea of pulling from the college ranks but if it's Harbaugh, I wouldnt cry over Campbell or Fickell though,

Fickell is interesting.   He’s done wonders in Cincinnati.  He will be on the short list for both the Michigan and Texas jobs if either of those schools make changes.  Both of those jobs could be way more lucrative than an NFL gig.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

IMO - this team cant hire a first time Head Coach and having Bill O'Brien on this list is absolutely insane.  This is such a dire situation, they need someone who is experienced to navigate through the ineptness of the organization.  Adam Gase is a disaster, the worst HC I've ever seen in the NFL, hands down BUT him at least having experience identified that this team was going nowhere fast under Big Mac.

I just think asking a first time HC to bring this team from the lowest point in franchise history and hitting reset with potentially the #1 overall pick (arguably the most important pick in the history of the franchise) is way to much to ask a first time HC.  

Jim Harbaugh would be my #1 choice but it aint happening, he's not coming to NY to work for the Johnson's who lets be real, arent paying him the price tag he'd be demanding.

The former Head Coaches I'd be talking to are: Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak, Jim Caldwell, Marvin Jones and Rex Ryan.  Proven winners who have proven they can rise above ineptness of an organization, provide stability and create a winning culture.

It's too risky to go with a first time HC in this situation.

I agree, but unfortunately I am not sure any of those guys are going to be on the list.  I cant see shanahan coming out of retirement at this point to overhaul this roster, and if so its not going to be with JD, he'd want to do it himself or have his own guy. 

Kubiak i could see, but with his health issues i wouldn't trust it.  Highly doubt we get a Rex Ryan part duex in NY, even with the Ravens connection.  I'm assuming you mean Marvin Lewis? and i just dont see that either, be a hard hard sell here in NY. 

Jim Caldwell I think is a realistic possibility actually, it would be uninspiring but he could come in here and at least provide stability to a franchise at a time where there is absolutely 0. 

All that being said its absolutely a moot point if Doug Pederson is fired, he's the guy if he's let go.  

If not, i think it will be a long interview process, and a lot of it will fall on JD to make the decision on who he wants to build with for the next 4 years. 

8 hours ago, doitny said:

why do we think that OC make the best coaches for QBs. 

Parcells 2 yr DC.....

Belichick 6yr DC ...

Carroll 4 yr DC...

Don Shula 2 yr DC

Tom Landry 6yr DC

Marty Schottenheimer DC

Chuck Noll never a DC. ..DB for 6 years

Jeff Fisher DC

Mike Tomlin   DC one year, 8 yrs DB coach

Bill Cowher DC

Tony Dungy DC

John Harbaugh  never a DC...9 yrs a ST coach

my point is that these are some of the best HC in NFL history and there on defense.

i dont believe in the QB whisperer. i believe the QB either has the talent or not. 

and the HC should be a motivator. its the OC and DC that get into the X and Os

every HC i mentioned had great QBs. and they also drafted some not so great QBs. 

Landry and Shula were there for over 20+ years, not every high QB pick turned out to be Dan Marino

i dont know who the best DC is out there. im just saying we shouldnt dismiss them because they coach defense. 

My theory is that a Defensive HC always allows the OC and QB coach to become more like friendly mentors for a young QB while the HC is still free to be a hard ass with the QB constantly challenging the QB to be better. It is a more efficient developmental dynamic because it pushes all of the buttons while not forcing a HC/OC to act like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when dealing with his QB. It is worthy to note that even though Holmgren was an Offensive guy, this was precisely the dynamic for Favre. Holmgren was always chewing his ass while the OC Sherm Lewis was renown for being a players coach and QB coach Steve Mariucci and Quality Control coach John Gruden were notoriously close and friendly with Favre.

I also think the a defensive HC is better at informing his young QB what the opposing D intends to do to limit him and also what they are doing during a game. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Fickell is interesting.   He’s done wonders in Cincinnati.  He will be on the short list for both the Michigan and Texas jobs if either of those schools make changes.  Both of those jobs could be way more lucrative than an NFL gig.  

This is the main issue, everyone talks about wanting Lincoln Riley and Dabo Swinney but they dont realize the money these guys are making in college and the insane job security they have.  Swinney I believe makes like 9.4 mil a year plus has perks from the university like a car for him and his wife and use of a private jet.  To think he's going to give up that to come to NY a team that needs a huge reset, deal with this media market, a fan base that is going to be super critical of every move, try to build a winner here, AND ALL ON A PAY CUT?  People are out of their minds. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

My theory is that a Defensive HC always allows the OC and QB coach to become more like friendly mentors for a young QB while the HC is still free to be a hard ass with the QB constantly challenging the QB to be better. It is a more efficient developmental dynamic because it pushes all of the buttons while not forcing a HC/OC to act like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when dealing with his QB. It is worthy to note that even though Holmgren was an Offensive guy, this was precisely the dynamic for Favre. Holmgren was always chewing his ass while the OC Sherm Lewis was renown for being a players coach and QB coach Steve Mariucci and Quality Control coach John Gruden were notoriously close and friendly with Favre.

I also think the a defensive HC is better at informing his young QB what the opposing D intends to do to limit him and also what they are doing during a game. 

The big trend for offensive head coaches started with shanahan and mcvay because when they left their OC jobs the offenses they left behind crumbled.  The big draw is that when you select one of these guy and have success with them, you dont have to worry about your stud OC leaving and the offense and young qb struggling. 

I dont have a preference either way the more I think about it, I want a guy that is going to run an effective NFL program and develop talent no matter which side of the ball he coaches.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, doitny said:

why do we think that OC make the best coaches for QBs. 

Parcells 2 yr DC.....

Belichick 6yr DC ...

Carroll 4 yr DC...

Don Shula 2 yr DC

Tom Landry 6yr DC

Marty Schottenheimer DC

Chuck Noll never a DC. ..DB for 6 years

Jeff Fisher DC

Mike Tomlin   DC one year, 8 yrs DB coach

Bill Cowher DC

Tony Dungy DC

John Harbaugh  never a DC...9 yrs a ST coach

my point is that these are some of the best HC in NFL history and there on defense.

i dont believe in the QB whisperer. i believe the QB either has the talent or not. 

and the HC should be a motivator. its the OC and DC that get into the X and Os

every HC i mentioned had great QBs. and they also drafted some not so great QBs. 

Landry and Shula were there for over 20+ years, not every high QB pick turned out to be Dan Marino

i dont know who the best DC is out there. im just saying we shouldnt dismiss them because they coach defense. 

Wasn't Lombardi an OC?

Don't hire Bill O'Brien unless you want to trade Becton for a 6th round draft choice and a bag of footballs. Absolutely the worst judge of talent I have seen. Once he got the GM role in Houston, he absolutely destroyed the team.

Like a previous poster said, the good CFB coaches would have to take a pay cut to come to the NFL, and I don't see that happening.  Plus the talent differential between the top teams and the others is ridiculous. These guys really only have to perform 2 games a year.  I see Campbell replacing Harbaugh at Michigan and then do you really want a guy who has driven a great program into the ground?

I know this is crazy, but I would consider Anthony Lynn if he gets canned by the Chargers. But I would make sure Douglas gets him a great ST coach, as they always seem to get beat by ST screwups.

GM's often hire guys they know and like.

Who does JD know and like?

Is there some Philly Asst. Coach from his days there?

I could see the drive for Harbaugh, it's certainly be the big $$$, big media splash, Parcells-like(Lite) move to "rebrand the franchise going forward" a la Parcells in 1997.

I'll be honest, I don't know who I want, and barely know who I don't want (Bienemy, for example).

I can't stand Harbaugh..... Hate his face ..... but whatever... We've never had a coach I've liked and we've never been a good football team in my lifetime (don't feed me a load of  BS about 2009-2010 mediocre QB and HC overachieved) .... If it happens to be Harbaugh I'll still find him detestable but will give him the same lease I gave all of these other dimwits and d-bags. (He falls in the D-bag category.... Gase may fall into both categories.)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Here's my list in no particular order:

- Brian Daboll (OC BUF)
- Arthur Smith (OC TEN)
- Doug Pederson (HC PHI)
- Matt Campbell (HC Iowa St)
- Jim Harbaugh (HC Michigan)
- Pat Fitzgerald (HC Northwestern)
- Tony Elliott (OC Clemson)
- Wink Martindale (DC BAL)
- Greg Roman (OC BAL)

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Keep the band together:

image.thumb.jpeg.74eb5216b07a0619e48e7e9c41c79d73.jpeg

image.jpeg.0505ed12cb6a6fb19a59bd6847f61377.jpeg

absolute pipe dream.  Dude is not leaving Clemson. I said it earlier in the thread.  Leaving a situation where you are beloved, can do no wrong, a perennial winner, while being one of the top paid at your position and have university perks like a free car for you and one for your wife, a house paid for, and use of a private jet... Throwing that all away to come to NY to be heavily scrutinized by the media and fan base, for a perennial loser and a roster in need of massive reconstruction, and take a massive pay cut to do so?  Not happening. 

43 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

absolute pipe dream.  Dude is not leaving Clemson. I said it earlier in the thread.  Leaving a situation where you are beloved, can do no wrong, a perennial winner, while being one of the top paid at your position and have university perks like a free car for you and one for your wife, a house paid for, and use of a private jet... Throwing that all away to come to NY to be heavily scrutinized by the media and fan base, for a perennial loser and a roster in need of massive reconstruction, and take a massive pay cut to do so?  Not happening. 

Agreed Swinney won't leave.  The Jets best bet is to get their OC (Tony Elliott) and pair him with Lawrence

If we did hire Tony Elliott from Clemson as HC it wouldn't be crazy to
bring back Rex Ryan as DC.  Because his son (Seth) went to Clemson and
Ryan had a good relationship with their staff.  Something to keep
in mind

• Upvote 1

Exactly.
I hate most of these names mentioned above; especially glorified RB coach in Bienemy who was one of the worst play callers as an Offensive Coordinate within the history of NCAA football (before being blessed with Mahomes, Hill, Watkins, Kelce, an A+ offensive line and the real QB/Offensive Guro who runs the KC show in Andy Reid).
Hiring Bienemy would be worse than hiring Mangini while thinking we were getting Bill Belichick. 

Your best post ever

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Hmmph... week sir, I say phooey on you-ey.

image.jpeg

While an offensive coach would be preferable, I don't think it's a must. The right defensive guy who will hire a good offensive coordinator would be just fine. As I have been saying, IMO, the most important virtue our new coach must have is that he is a leader of men.

• Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

If we did hire Tony Elliott from Clemson as HC it wouldn't be crazy to
bring back Rex Ryan as DC.  Because his son (Seth) went to Clemson and
Ryan had a good relationship with their staff.  Something to keep
in mind

Not a crazy thread to pull on here.  First off, ill say I dont believe Rex would come back to the Jets or coaching in general as anything other than a HC, and that will not be with the Jets. 

It is the Tony Elliott part that I feel has a legitimate shot at being a possibility.  Tony Elliot has done a fantastic job calling plays for Clemson since he's been the Co-Offensive coordinator with Jeff Scott who left recently to be the HC of South Florida.  Tony is a really well respected college coach and has a pretty impressive resume for a HC gig:

-6 years as OC for Clemson calling plays and coaching RBs

-2017 Broyles Award Winner presented to the top assistant coach in college (Joe brady who everyone likes won it last year)

-2x national championship winning coach (called the plays for both titles)

-Worked with Watson as his QB and now Trevor Lawrence. 

He's 41 and definitely a name on the rise for HC gigs.  Panthers requested to interview him last offseason, but he turned them down believing that they were only interviewing him to satisfy the Rooney Rule and didnt have actual interest.  He was then rumored to be in the running for the OC job under Rhule once he was hired (eventually went to Joe Brady).

He's a name that not alot of people on here have been talking about but if youre going to draft Lawrence and want to pair him with someone that he's familiar with,  Tony Elliot is the guy you want and they coach that actually has a chance to leave Clemson. 

I am sure @sec101row23 can give a little more insight on this topic as the resident clemson expert 

10 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He'd be my 2nd favorite candidate outside of Jim Harbaugh. 

He's been Tennessee's OC for two years now (2019/2020) and here in 2020 they've got the 6th highest rated scoring offense (only behind GB, KC, Seattle, Pittsburgh and New Orleans) and the 8th ranked highest offense in total yards per game. 

More importantly (behind a fierce run game) he's got Ryan Tannehill playing at an extremely high efficiency rate while (over the past two years combined)  going 418/620 (67.4%), 5,350 passing yards, 45 TD's/10 INT's and an insane QB Rating of 111.7. 

I will say this. If we're to trust him with a younger Trevor Lawrence? We MUST draft an absolute HORSE in Najee Harris out of Alabama with the first pick of the 2nd round (a smaller more elusive back like Travis Etienne wouldn't work in Arthur's smash mouth style of power run game however Najee Harris would absolutely flourish within it as does Derrick Henry; who looked nothing like he's done over the past two years with Smith compared to his first 3 seasons without him as OC). 

And if having a super young QB/RB/WR trio in Lawrence/Najee/Mims I believe it'll become another must for JD to land us a veteran dog in Allen Robinson as a true #1 physical WR on the outside. 

I'm all for Arthur Smith (if not Jim Harbaugh) but under only one circumstance; we sign and draft players who fit his system and Najee/Allen Robinson are two of those players who naturally fit. 

Agreed, but I would throw in Brady. 31 years old, I think he’d jibe with these young guys similar to McKay or Kingsbury in LA & Arizona. 
Interesting take on Arthur Smith regarding Harris. Similar to taking Etienne if Bienemy is JDs choice. 
Let’s match up players to these offenses! 
A Smith would have a great start with a Mims- Robinson- Crowder trio at WR. 

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

This is the main issue, everyone talks about wanting Lincoln Riley and Dabo Swinney but they dont realize the money these guys are making in college and the insane job security they have.  Swinney I believe makes like 9.4 mil a year plus has perks from the university like a car for him and his wife and use of a private jet.  To think he's going to give up that to come to NY a team that needs a huge reset, deal with this media market, a fan base that is going to be super critical of every move, try to build a winner here, AND ALL ON A PAY CUT?  People are out of their minds. 

All true, but head coaches as a rule have huge egos. The lure of being successful is huge and if Riley went to the pros and failed and went back to college he would have college programs tripping over their dicks to get him.

Also, the Jets job will be particularly intriguing for a college head coach. Even with all of our issues the potential of completely rebuilding a NFL team starting with the #1 pick (if we get it) is extremely enticing. College coaches will not the success KK is having.

I would not rule out Campbell finally accepting an interview and likely the job, or even Riley proactively throwing his name in the hat- all he has to do is float a comment on a local radio station that he might consider a NFL gig some day and it is on.

• Upvote 1