Creative cap management for 2021?

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

JuJu scares me because the Steelers seem to know when to let guys walk.  It is probably much easier to succeed with Claypool and Dionte Johnson pulling coverage.  Of course Smith-Schuster factors in to help them, but I have not been super impressed with the way guys have performed upon leaving Pittsburgh.  I'd probably target Robinson and Godwin.  Maybe Corey Davis or Fuller.  I have a feeling we are going to make a bunch of cheap short-term deals like Alshon Jeffery. 

yep.  just think holmes and buress.  seems like for every faneca or mcclendon you get a holmes or buress from the steelers.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Crowder is signed for 2021.  Why are we extending him?  Is it because you want him past 2021, or because you want to spread out his cap hit?  We have the money, so I'm not sure we need the latter.

EDIT to clarify, I think they keep him on the hook and then cut/extend him as necessary when they use the cap space up picking from this new FA crop.  

We should focused on long term solutions. Therefore I say either extend him or release him while replacing him with another receiver we can lock up to a long term contract. If Crowder was a FA now and JD signed him for 1 year $11.5 million (what he's due next year), I would honestly be puzzled. 

If there won't be alot of suitors out there to spend we should be the ones leveraging out long term deal for bargain prices. If there's a guy who wants to bet on himself with a one year $5 mil contract. We shouldn't be interested and instead counter and say we'll give a little extra to get you on a three year deal with a two year out. 

As for Crowder, would love to have him for 3 more years at around $30 mil and we can compensate him with some guarantee unless he wants to test the market come June or August at a terrible time.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

We should focused on long term solutions. Therefore I say either extend him or release him while replacing him with another receiver we can lock up to a long term contract.

My preference would be to cut and re-sign Crowder.  It certainly doesn't make much sense to devote $11.5M of cap space to the slot receiver in 2021 if we don't have to.

On 12/2/2020 at 5:53 AM, KRL said:

I was one who was pushing for Logan Ryan and Jadeveon Clowney
last summer, good thing Douglas held firm.  Even though we'll
be coming off a horrible year the fact that we'll have significant
cap space will make us attractive to free agent looking to get paid

I really believe a team can over pay a guy or two. But you have to get value from that contract.

Hopefully CJ Mosley falls into that category next year. Pro Bowl level makes a player being overpaid okay.  Maybe they take one more big swing in free agency this year,  WR or OG?