Trusting our GM's brilliant ability to evaluate draft talent

hmhertz

Hindsight is always 20/20 but there's a reason why despite being a combine warrior that D.K Metcalf still became the very last pick of the 2nd round; and that reasoning was because he put up pretty crappy NCAA WR numbers throughout his college career (every team passed on him and multiple times too). 

Would he look this freakish and this dominant without Russell Wilson? Who knows but all I know is he didn't even come close to dominating in college like this...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 but there's a reason why despite being a combine warrior that D.K Metcalf still became the very last pick of the 2nd round; and that reasoning was because he put up pretty crappy NCAA WR numbers throughout his college career (every team passed on him and multiple times too). 

Would he look this freakish and this dominant without Russell Wilson? Who knows but all I know is he didn't even come close to dominating in college like this...

Anyone with eyes could see this kid was going to be good and hard to cover. On our team sure he wouldnt be that good because Gase would have him blocking or some sh*t but any team he becomes a good offensive piece

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I thought the issue with DK was his durability more than anything else? That combined with having another stud WR on the team factored into the relatively lack luster numbers.

• Upvote 1

and?  right now douglas' draft picks are doing pretty well.  it's too bad clark hasn't seen the field but all of the others have come in and contributed, albeit to a losing campaign.  in addition to becton and mims, guys like davis, hall, mann, perine all seem to be keepers.  zuniga is still a question mark.  that's not a bad success rate.  and even the free agents are good.  yes we can all say mack was a waste but the guys he picked up this season are serviceable.  perriman is actually better than expected.  there are good reasons to be hopeful going into next season assuming the team stays healthy and the gets back to a normal practice schedule.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

So what? Even if JD did miss on him, he’s supposed to get it right every time? 

I’m aware that he’s going to draft players for us that are going to be garbage. But he already drafted 4 players that can potentially be here for a long time in Becton, Mims, Mann, and Davis. 

Everyone misses. Even the great ones. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Becton & Mims

2 best draft picks for Jets over the last 10 years. Both more important than Jamal Adams. 

mims has 17 catches and 0 tds for the season

does he look like he might be decent yes but the massive overhyping is comical

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Maybe it was that Metcalf had a body fat percentage that indicated he should be clinically dead? I don't like to draft guys that are clinically dead, it's like numero uno on my list of criteria, clinically alive.

well the Jets apparently like that quality in their head coaches.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I’ve posted it twice over the last two days.  The Philly scouts didn’t want JJAW.  Howie Roseman did and overruled them.  Thanks for making me post it a third time: E58678E2-3AE2-41C2-A0BD-D482ED2D85D5.jpeg.75ee23ab9fff8789b18b88e1a6bf41f9.jpeg89E3A83A-C43B-4B30-B7B0-449820699F66.jpeg.1eb5865acc5c93d5e8c9f9cc1bf474d5.jpegDB8E41CE-2743-421B-A58C-B26E64A01BBD.jpeg.9f1b511a004498b0e91696394849fce8.jpeg

Did that article specifically say JJAW was a Roseman pick?  I get that it says that greater influence of one caused some of the bad picks, but can't that just as easily be Douglas over scouts/lesser execs as Roseman over Douglas?  The only pick I remember actual rumors about was Douglas liking Pumphrey who has bombed, but that is just a 4th and fairly typical.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

As solid as going Ferguson and Mangold.

I think we’re getting a Center in the next draft. Josh Myers Ohio State. Build that line for Trevor or Fields. Thuney in free agency. (Over pay but he’s worth it, just give him a lot up front in 2021), let’s him invest. 

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

mims has 17 catches and 0 tds for the season

does he look like he might be decent yes but the massive overhyping is comical

He’s played 4 games with sh*tty QBs! He looks damn good but he’s no Stephen Hill. 

1. Becton (OL) - Looks like a Stud
2. Mims (WR) - Flashed so far in the (brief) time he's been healthy
3. Davis (S) - Not so great so far, outclassed
3. Zuninga (DE) - Nonentity
4. Perime (RB) - Disappointing
4. Morgan (QB) - Nonentity
4. Clark (OL) - Nonentity
5. Hall (CB) - Flashed so far in the (brief) time he's been healthy
6. Mann (P) - Pretty decent Punter so far.

This is an ok'ish Draft Class, not a good or great one.  In 5 picks in Rounds 3-4, we got......well, nothing really.  Davis and Perine have both been meh so far and the others may as well not exist.  Becton is an obvious stud, so great, and Mims looks good in the little we've seen him so far (also good).  Rest of the draft is a huge ? or a bunch of nobodies so far.

Lets not give JD too much credit. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is an ok'ish Draft Class, not a good or great one.  In 5 picks in Rounds 3-4, we got......well, nothing really.  Davis and Perine have both been meh so far and the others may as well not exist.  Becton is an obvious stud, so great, and Mims looks good in the little we've seen him so far (also good).  Rest of the draft is a huge ? or a bunch of nobodies so far.

Free Safeties don’t flash much on a team with one of the worst pass rushes in the entire league! 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

That's a fair assessment without any fluff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did that article specifically say JJAW was a Roseman pick?  I get that it says that greater influence of one caused some of the bad picks, but can't that just as easily be Douglas over scouts/lesser execs as Roseman over Douglas?  The only pick I remember actual rumors about was Douglas liking Pumphrey who has bombed, but that is just a 4th and fairly typical.

I don’t know why I can’t find the article now but I found it a couple nights ago when Mogglez posted the screenshot. IIRC, it said the Eagles had similar grades on Parris Campbell and Metcalf, but Metcalf had a medical flag (ironic considering Campbell can’t get on the field due to injuries and Metcalf hasn’t missed a game). Next on their board was Hardman. Multiple people wanted to follow the board, and someone unnamed wanted JJAW, and Roseman went with the unnamed guy. It didn’t attribute any particular position to a particular person, but I’d think JD would be on the side of following the ranking/grading system that he set up and got the impression it was either Pederson or Lurie who swayed Roseman to JJAW.

The article also intimated that Pederson was clamoring for a RB as they were flying off the board so Roseman traded up for Pumphrey.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Hindsight is always 20/20

nope this isn't one of those. This one is a combination of egos, paralysis by analysis and over thinking things.

• DK had a some medical concerns, so that needs be honored in some part
  • Sometimes teams need an overcorrection. DK and his infamous 3 cone time will serve as such to those who place waayyyy too much on obtuse measurables.
  • You can't discount the concept of FOMO and it's antithesis. If 31 teams surprisingly pass on player, the 32nd team will sweat bullets before they pull the trigger.
  • Honestly people are idiots. Harry had legit separation concerns, and JJAW looked like a 2x4 trying to do anything but run straight vert routes. He had literally no production over the middle. Useless. He'll be out the league in less than 2 yrs. 
  • Upvote 3

This is not going to be an easy draft. Quite a few of the top players this year opted out of playing. I addition w/the limited schedules it seems it's going to be a bit harder to evaluate. Also does anyone know how many Bowl games are scheduled this year? Potential for some hidden gems or busts in this years draft. I think it's going to be a tough year to evaluate talent especially among some of the lesser known players. Won't be a lot of film.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Kent Caparell said:

This is not going to be an easy draft. Quite a few of the top players this year opted out of playing. I addition w/the limited schedules it seems it's going to be a bit harder to evaluate. Also does anyone know how many Bowl games are scheduled this year? Potential for some hidden gems or busts in this years draft. I think it's going to be a tough year to evaluate talent especially among some of the lesser known players. Won't be a lot of film.

I think a few of these guys in positions that the draft has some real talent will drop due to opting out, maybe not drop far but will get draft lower than if they had played.  Guys like Ja.Marr chase.  Terence marshal has now also just opted out, mistake if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Paradis said:

nope this isn't one of those. This one is a combination of egos, paralysis by analysis and over thinking things.

• DK had a some medical concerns, so that needs be honored in some part
  • Sometimes teams need an overcorrection. DK and his infamous 3 cone time will serve as such to those who place waayyyy too much on obtuse measurables.
  • You can't discount the concept of FOMO and it's antithesis. If 31 teams surprisingly pass on player, the 32nd team will sweat bullets before they pull the trigger.
  • Honestly people are idiots. Harry had legit separation concerns, and JJAW looked like a 2x4 trying to do anything but run straight vert routes. He had literally no production over the middle. Useless. He'll be out the league in less than 2 yrs. 

The only position where heavy stock should be placed on the 3-Cone time is at EDGE.  It's not useless for other positions but, yeah, it shouldn't be a measurable that eliminates a player from consideration or elevates them too highly depending on how they score.