Trusting our GM's brilliant ability to evaluate draft talent

hmhertz

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Have NONE of you guys been paying attention to the following:

1) We have the worst coach in the NFL?

2) We have had almost 10 years of continual bad drafting?

3) We have continually gone out and put a band-aid to this drafting approach by over-spending on F/A, most of which haven't worked out.

So, lets play your game though: Jury is still out because we are on pace for one of the worst NFL seasons in history.

The Dallas Cowboys, after more than a dozen 10 win seasons in about 15 years, slowly declined to the point where they had a 1-15 season, one of the worst.  Jimmy Johnson decides to trade his best bargaining chip, Herschel Walker, and Johnson takes those picks and, by either using them to pick a player or as bargaining chips to move up/down in later drafts or gain more assets, turns the Cowboys into a perennial contender for a decade, culminating into three super bowl victories in 4 years.

Yeah, it sucks watching an 0-11 team.  But this is what has been needed for a decade with this franchise: a complete overhaul in thinking.  Building your team in the draft.  Selling what little assets you have as a bad franchise and getting as much for them as you can.  Continually manipulate the draft in your favor by constantly having additional assets so you can draft players you want.  

Will it work out?  NOBODY KNOWS.  And for the 345th time this past season, I will say it again:

How about we all come back after the draft in 2022, and see where we are after three (hopefully) solid drafts, and 2 more F/A periods.  The only thing this year was about was a) seeing how well Douglas' draft picks play, and b) What do we have in Sam Darnold.  We now know the answer to b), and we are learning more and more about a)

See you in 2022.

You listed a whole bunch of excuses and some of them real....It's a tough job, no question.  But nobody is advocating to fire the guy.  

People are just pointing out he hasn't been "Brilliant" and is still very much an unknown.  There are reasons to be excited about him and some to be worried about..   We will see.

• Post of the Week 3

42 minutes ago, JAFJET said:

Anyone could have selected Mims in the first round or early second because his talent was obvious. The real brilliance of Douglas is that he understood the draft and waited until the 59th selection to pounce. 

This is assuming Mims turns out to be a long term starter. He’d has injury issues to date. I think we all would be happier now with Claypool, who is already a stud.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JAFJET said:

Anyone could have selected Mims in the first round or early second because his talent was obvious. The real brilliance of Douglas is that he understood the draft and waited until the 59th selection to pounce. 

so because nobody wanted him that makes joe a genius ? how about other gms had better wrs rated higher and took them and they have performed better.

the following wrs are better than mims that are rookies too

Jeudy

lamb

jefferson

pittman

claypool

higgins

I would trade mims for any of them in a hearbeat

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Except the T we passed on has had a better rookie season. 
Becton may end up being the better player, in fact I think he will. But right now, looking at it fairly, Wirfs has been the better player.  

You're not looking at it fairly, because Wirfs has taken 0 snaps at Left Tackle, the far more important position.  

30 minutes ago, JAFJET said:

JD did not love Mims.

I think he saw Claypool, Mims and Jefferson available at 48 and was willing to take whoever fell so he traded down.

• WTF? 1

21 minutes ago, kmnj said:

so because nobody wanted him that makes joe a genius ? how about other gms had better wrs rated higher and took them and they have performed better.

Jeudy

lamb

jefferson

pittman

claypool

higgins

Aiyuk too.   Shenault and Ruggs not too shabby either.  This was an exceptional WR class.  '

Mims hasn't passed the eye test nor the production test yet.  He has plenty of excuses for why.  He needs to come out and ball next year.

Denzel Mims has played 5 games.  In those 5 games, he has averaged 3.4 receptions per game 56.8 yards per game and 16.7 yards per reception.

• More receptons per game than Ruggs, Jeudy and Pittman.
  • More yards per game than any rookie WR other than Justin Jefferson, Lamb and Higgins.  Claypool is averaging 55 yards per game.  Comparable to Mims.
  • Only Ruggs and Justin Jefferson have averaged more than Mims' 16.7 yard per reception average

You want to knock Mims, knock him for the injuries, but his production, when he has been able to play, has been comaprable to the other top WRs in the draft.  He has played 5 games.  Nobody knows what his career is going to look like, but he has been as productive as you could want when he has been in there.  Hopefully the injuries this season were an anomaly.  Time will tell.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

People are just pointing out he hasn't been "Brilliant" and is still very much an unknown.  There are reasons to be excited about him and some to be worried about..

Good to see who else believes that the OP meant JD was brilliant.

Especially god forbid his moves were brilliant.  What would you and company have to talk about?  Players who dont play are bad or nonentities, whatever 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're not looking at it fairly, because Wirfs has taken 0 snaps at Left Tackle, the far more important position.  

He doesnt want to believe that, he read a mime with bullet points rating Wirfs about the injured at the time Becton.

47 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Good to see who else believes that the OP meant JD was brilliant.

Especially god forbid his moves were brilliant.  What would you and company have to talk about?  Players who dont play are bad or nonentities, whatever 

Seriously, are you saying people haven’t been calling this guy Briliant and a genius for months all over this place?

You’re being disingenuous if you are - it’s everywhere.

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You listed a whole bunch of excuses and some of them real....It's a tough job, no question.  But nobody is advocating to fire the guy.  

People are just pointing out he hasn't been "Brilliant" and is still very much an unknown.  There are reasons to be excited about him and some to be worried about..   We will see.

I agree with you Fidelio, I just don't agree with the assessment from guys like hmhertz or kmnj.  Its just outright trolling.

So far, things look decent with this draft class.  There are some question marks, but the elite GM"s on average only hit around 50-60 percent.  I did the math one time on Mac, and just solely looked at whether the pick was still in the NFL as a basis for judgement.  Mac was only hitting at around 37 percent. 

The biggest disappointment has been Darnold, but that is on him and Gase.  Nobody would say Darnold is Patrick Mahomes.  But the talent that is here, Mahomes would make them better.  I do not believe that, sadly, Darnold is the answer at QB.

Oh well....Keep picking them until you get one, because in the modern NFL, your team has no chance if you don't have one.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Seriously, are you saying people haven’t been calling this guy Briliant and a genius for months all over this place?

You’re being disingenuous if you are - it’s everywhere.

Dude, can you ever stop?  YOU, not me, pointed to the title of the thread containing the word brilliant.  It was sarcasm and NOT a compliment.

Can you ever just say, oh, ok and move on?  Youre dead wrong, the OP isnt seriously calling JD brilliant and this is now like the 3rd time youre repeating it to me.  .

And no, no one is calling Douglas a genius.  Whats that 3 times you've asked?  Copy and paste these posts calling him a genius. Genius, if its every where you should be able to come up with 5-10 or more

Theres a hell of lot of room between genius and these trolling posts trying to convince that Douglas sucks.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:53 AM, kmnj said:

he looks like he could be good-you want to crown him crown him

wayne chrebet had 66 catches and 4tds to go along with over 700 yards with a trash qb and a trash offense-that was a rookie that you knew would catch the ball consistently 

Mims looks like he could be a nice player but the hype machine is HUGE right  now for a dude that has under 20 catches for the season with zero touchdowns and was a second round pick

Lol, first of all he has only played in about 6 games after missing all of training camp and no preseason If you seriously want to compare this 0-11 team to that Jets team than there is no need to continue discussing this. It is obvious you are not looking at this in context.   This may go down as one of the worst teams in NFL history, and not just because they have yet to win a game.  Gase may be worse than Kotite as a HC, Darnold has seriously regressed.  To expect Mims whom I already mentioned missed a lot of practice and playing time, to come and start dominating with this sorry CS targeting like 6 times a game..... well I mean seriously?? 

On 12/4/2020 at 1:08 PM, kmnj said:

Jeudy

lamb

jefferson

pittman

claypool

higgins

You missed the point, and do understand that 5 of the rookies you named were taken before Mims?  Would you have passed on Bechton to draft a WR that you are sure will be better than Mims after seeing Mims in this years lousy lineup in 3 or 4 games.

On 12/2/2020 at 3:43 PM, Warfish said:

Hey @Bungaman, I am legit curious as to what part of the above you disagreed with so strongly.  Would love to know.

Looking at your post again, I also wonder what it was that I disagreed with so strongly. Because, I don't. Sorry I didn't see your notification until now ... I am almost as prompt as I am good at remembering things ... :confused0088: 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

Looking at your post again, I also wonder what it was that I disagreed with so strongly. Because, I don't. Sorry I didn't see your notification until now ... I am almost as prompt as I am good at remembering things ... :confused0088: 

No worries bud, was honestly curious, you and I (I think) generally agree on alot of stuff.

55 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

The Becton and Mims picks were good. He has to better though in rounds 3-4-5. Those rounds were pretty much bust city. Perrine has played but I don't see anything special there same with Hall. The others.....Nothing

Early returns are exactly what you say.  We can see potentially excellent longterm starters already in Becton and Mims.  The other guys are a mixed bag of injuries, inexperience and unnecessarily limited opportunities (Morgan, Clark not seeing the field is concerning).  Perine, Mann and Hall have at least seen the field and don't look lost.  Those guys will stick but the question is whether they're anything better than adequate, potential backups, low-end starters, or if they become more than that.  Rounds 3 and 4 will really determine whether JD did well in this Draft other than making some solid consensus-type picks in Rounds 1 and 2.  I think he needs to get at least two good, above average starters out of these  four - Davis, Zuniga, Clark, Perine with the others at least being solid contributors.

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Early returns are exactly what you say.  We can see potentially excellent longterm starters already in Becton and Mims.  The other guys are a mixed bag of injuries, inexperience and unnecessarily limited opportunities (Morgan, Clark not seeing the field is concerning).  Perine, Mann and Hall have at least seen the field and don't look lost.  Those guys will stick but the question is whether they're anything better than adequate, potential backups, low-end starters, or if they become more than that.  Rounds 3 and 4 will really determine whether JD did well in this Draft other than making some solid consensus-type picks in Rounds 1 and 2.  I think he needs to get at least two good, above average starters out of these  four - Davis, Zuniga, Clark, Perine with the others at least being solid contributors.

Agreed. To me rounds 3-4-5 are the most important rounds. You should be able to hit rounds 1 and 2 pretty often (Unless you are Macc or Idzik) if you can hit in rounds 3-4-5 then you have something. Doesn't have to be 100 percent but you should be able to hit 2 of 3 most years.

• Upvote 1