Bridge QB's

Jetsfan80

Bridge QB's  

50 members have voted

1. 1. If you're Joe Douglas, which of these bridge QB's would you be in favor of acquiring?

• Drew Brees
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Jameis Winston
    • Andy Dalton
    • Cam Newton
    • Mitchell Trubisky
    • Jacoby Brissett
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Tyrod Taylor
    • OTHER (specify in thread)
    • No bridge QB is needed: Let James Morgan and the rookie compete for the Week 1 job
  2. 2. Which bridge QB would be your top choice?

• Drew Brees
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Jameis Winston
    • Andy Dalton
    • Cam Newton
    • Mitchell Trubisky
    • Jacoby Brissett
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Tyrod Taylor
    • No bridge QB is needed: Let James Morgan and the rookie compete for the Week 1 job

Let's assume the Jets draft a QB with their first pick (easy assumption).  Let's also assume Sam Darnold is traded.  For our purposes, early enough in the offseason that Douglas can acquire any veteran QB he'd like to add to the QB room prior to the draft.

Which of these "bridge options" would you be interested in acquiring?  I have included scheduled 2021 free agents + Drew Brees.  The rest of the league's QB's who are under contract seem unlikely to spring loose.  

NOTE:  I have NOT included guys like Dak Prescott, Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford, as I think we can all agree none of these would qualify as "bridge" options.  

• Drew Brees
  • Phillip Rivers
  • Jameis Winston
  • Andy Dalton
  • Cam Newton
  • Mitchell Trubisky
  • Jacoby Brissett
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • No bridge QB is needed:  Let James Morgan and the rookie compete for the Week 1 job

assuming its lawrence, then none.  i don't see where this mentality about needed a veteran qb to hand hold came from.  most of the guys on that list are playing to be the starter so it's doubtful if any of them would want to be a seat warmer.  i remember when tom seaver joined the dead sox in 86.  a reporter asked him how he could help roger clemens and seaver said he come hold the door open when they got on the bus or something like that.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

assuming its lawrence, then none.  i don't see where this mentality about needed a veteran qb to hand hold came from.  most of the guys on that list are playing to be the starter so it's doubtful if any of them would want to be a seat warmer.  i remember when tom seaver joined the dead sox in 86.  a reporter asked him how he could help roger clemens and seaver said he come hold the door open when they got on the bus or something like that.  

It's not about hand-holding.  It's about having a veteran to potentially be your Week 1 starter so the rookie isn't rushed under center.  Hence the term "bridge QB".  

By and large, I don't believe rookies are hurt by starting right away, but its nice to have the option to sit him for the first few weeks if needed.  Pat Mahomes didn't start right away, after all.  

13 minutes ago, slats said:

If they draft a QB #1 or #2, that QB is gonna start. This is just silly. 

If we end up with Lawrence, I have no doubt he starts in Week 1.  He'll have about 40 college starts under his belt entering the NFL and has been bred to be a QB.  He's as pro-ready as they come.

If its Fields I'm not quite as certain.  He only currently has 18 college starts and will finish with no more than 22.  It's not the worst idea to have someone else on the roster.  Fields could still very easily end up the Week 1 starter in that instance, but what harm is in there in having a veteran QB2 around?

I don't understand how Drew Brees can be an option here.  Won't he cost a fortune?  That's not what a backup QB is supposed to be about.  If anything, you'd want a veteran who can help Trevor.  Maybe Fitzpatrick would be good in that role.  He's actually still a capable-enough starter in this league.

If we're voting for entertainment, though, Jameis would be the guy.  I still think he's going to get another shot in this league and might turn into something very good.  Maybe a year or 2 as a backup will help him going forward.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we end up with Lawrence, I have no doubt he starts in Week 1.  He'll have about 40 college starts under his belt entering the NFL and has been bred to be a QB.  He's as pro-ready as they come.

If its Fields I'm not quite as certain.  He only currently has 18 college starts and will finish with no more than 22.  It's not the worst idea to have someone else on the roster.  Fields could still very easily end up the Week 1 starter in that instance, but what harm is in there in having a veteran QB2 around?

The Jets are going to attract a new head coach by dangling the chance to draft their own QB and hit the ground running. That QB is gonna play. If that head coach wants a veteran backup (much different than a so-called bridge QB), I imagine he'll look for someone with whom he's familiar. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Let's assume the Jets draft a QB with their first pick (easy assumption).  Let's also assume Sam Darnold is traded.  For our purposes, early enough in the offseason that Douglas can acquire any veteran QB he'd like to add to the QB room prior to the draft.

Which of these "bridge options" would you be interested in acquiring?  I have included scheduled 2021 free agents + Drew Brees.  The rest of the league's QB's who are under contract seem unlikely to spring loose.  

NOTE:  I have NOT included guys like Dak Prescott, Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford, as I think we can all agree none of these would qualify as "bridge" options.  

• Drew Brees
  • Phillip Rivers
  • Jameis Winston
  • Andy Dalton
  • Cam Newton
  • Mitchell Trubisky
  • Jacoby Brissett
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • No bridge QB is needed:  Let James Morgan and the rookie compete for the Week 1 job

And Brees and Rivers do ? 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• Drew Brees
  • Phillip Rivers
  • Jameis Winston
  • Andy Dalton
  • Cam Newton
  • Mitchell Trubisky
  • Jacoby Brissett
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Tyrod Taylor

You don’t think Lawrence would start right out the gate?

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

And Brees and Rivers do ? 

Yes.  Because they're old and clearly on a steep downturn.  They don't have a future in the league.  Dak, Stafford and Ryan still have quite a few years left.  Anyone acquiring them would be looking to get a multi-year starter.  That's not the case with Brees or Rivers.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't understand how Drew Brees can be an option here.  Won't he cost a fortune?  That's not what a backup QB is supposed to be about.  If anything, you'd want a veteran who can help Trevor.  Maybe Fitzpatrick would be good in that role.  He's actually still a capable-enough starter in this league.

If we're voting for entertainment, though, Jameis would be the guy.  I still think he's going to get another shot in this league and might turn into something very good.  Maybe a year or 2 as a backup will help him going forward.  

Agree 100 %. If Brees agrees to come here as a back up I will tear out one of my own vital organs and eat it on live TV. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Teddy Bridgewater sounds the most like a bridge QB.

I like Teddy, but sadly that ship sailed when Macc traded him away.  He's due to be a $23M cap hit next season and would leave a pretty heavy dead cap hit behind for Carolina if they moved him.  I don't think he's going anywhere until after 2021. 

If Trevor Lawrence is truly as good as advertised, then there's no reason to sit him for a season. Let him play. Same goes for Justin Fields.

I wouldn't throw a hissy fit though, if the new head coach decided to sit the rookie for a year (or less) to learn, and out of the above mentioned, Drew Brees would be the only one palatable enough to watch.

Unless, of course, we want to tank for another year to load up the team with more sweet, delicious, high-drafted talent, than let's go with Mitchell Trubisky, bitches!!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

If Trevor Lawrence is truly as good as advertised, then there's no reason to sit him for a season. Let him play. Same goes for Justin Fields.

I wouldn't throw a hissy fit though, if the new head coach decided to sit the rookie for a year (or less) to learn, and out of the above mentioned, Drew Brees would be the only one palatable enough to watch.

Unless, of course, we want to tank for another year to load up the team with more sweet, delicious, high-drafted talent, than let's go with Mitchell Trubisky, bitches!!!

I think Jameis would be incredibly fun to watch.  I hope he's someone team's starting QB next year.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think Jameis would be incredibly fun to watch.  I hope he's someone team's starting QB next year.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28391059/bucs-jameis-winston-becomes-1st-qb-30-pass-tds-30-ints-season

^^

Turnovers have plagued Winston throughout his five-year NFL career. His 109 turnovers is more than any other player in the league since 2015 -- and 23 more than the next closest player, Philip Rivers. Winston also leads the NFL with 86 interceptions since 2015. Fixing those has been a focus for him going back to his time at Florida State.

Granted he'd be a lot more fun to watch than Mitchell Trubisky, but probably with the same end-result. A high draft pick in 2022.

Are we going for round 2 of the tank? Are we? If so, let's doooooo ittttttt!

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then we celebrate having not one but two QB1's on the roster at the same time?

Disagree      History shows Not a good idea to have 2 perceived  # 1 QBs as it can divide a locker room very quickly. Morton -  Staubach  and Robinson- Todd are two that quickly come to mind. As one was traded the teams they were on played noticeably better   it didn’t hurt that Staubach was a future hall of famer. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not about hand-holding.  It's about having a veteran to potentially be your Week 1 starter so the rookie isn't rushed under center.  Hence the term "bridge QB".  

By and large, I don't believe rookies are hurt by starting right away, but its nice to have the option to sit him for the first few weeks if needed.  Pat Mahomes didn't start right away, after all.  

Rush the mother****er.  HIs deal is only reasonable for 4 years.  That is 64 starts.  I am making the most out of them. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

JOE'S CRAB SHACK HOURS | Joe's Crab Shack Operating Hours

Why would we need a bridge QB not already on our roster? Isn't this the reason JD completely wasted a 4th round pick on James Morgan who (like Hack) can't even make it off the practice field? 

But yea we already had that bridge QB on our roster and we completely threw him away for absolutely nothingness and for a future bust QB in Sam Darnold; and his name is... Teddy Bridgewater. 

f1272b53-e3ff-4b58-ad66-55b3d5829e6c-USP_NFL__New_York_Jets_at_Washington_Redskins.jpeg.eca6c367016b3419da74e225d3659c39.jpeg

1215137807_maxresdefault(2).thumb.jpg.9058e24d1b237777b7cb649ef95b160a.jpg

To make it even worse: We ended up drafting an absolute JAG in Chuma Edoga with the 3rd round pick we received for Teddy Bridgewater; absolutely disgusting. 

E5D25Q6E3U6HVNQLOAGYYXXJBI.jpg.1279cedbf7fb689cce5c9ebbc0238406.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes.  Because they're old and clearly on a steep downturn.  

How is Brees on a steep downturn? 

Before his injury (and he'll be back before the postseason) he was 7-2 while going 219/298 (73.5%), 2,196 passing yards, 18 TDs/3 INTs along with a beautiful QB Rating of 110.0. 

Drew Brees has yet to never once show any type of decline in QB ability; none whatsoever.