Bridge QB's

Jetsfan80

Bridge QB's  

50 members have voted

1. 1. If you're Joe Douglas, which of these bridge QB's would you be in favor of acquiring?

• Drew Brees
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Jameis Winston
    • Andy Dalton
    • Cam Newton
    • Mitchell Trubisky
    • Jacoby Brissett
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Tyrod Taylor
    • OTHER (specify in thread)
    • No bridge QB is needed: Let James Morgan and the rookie compete for the Week 1 job
  2. 2. Which bridge QB would be your top choice?

• Drew Brees
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Jameis Winston
    • Andy Dalton
    • Cam Newton
    • Mitchell Trubisky
    • Jacoby Brissett
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Tyrod Taylor
    • No bridge QB is needed: Let James Morgan and the rookie compete for the Week 1 job

8 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’d rather just bring back Flacco on another 1 year deal.

Then hopefully Morgan is ready to be the backup by 2022.

Thinking the same actually. Let the rook start and he can get a couple mil to be big bro for another season. Morgan should hopefully be developed to be the backup. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, CSNY said:

Disagree      History shows Not a good idea to have 2 perceived  # 1 QBs as it can divide a locker room very quickly. Morton -  Staubach  and Robinson- Todd are two that quickly come to mind. As one was traded the teams they were on played noticeably better   it didn’t hurt that Staubach was a future hall of famer. 

I'll take my chances.  We haven't had a QB1 since Namath, maybe O'Brien, let alone 2 of them on the roster at the same time.  Nice problem to have.  

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Why would we need a bridge QB not already on our roster? Isn't this the reason JD completely wasted a 4th round pick on James Morgan who (like Hack) can't even make it off the practice field? 

But yea we already had that bridge QB on our roster and we completely threw him away for absolutely nothingness and for a future bust QB in Sam Darnold; and his name is... Teddy Bridgewater. 

To make it even worse: We ended up drafting an absolute JAG in Chuma Edoga with the 3rd round pick we received for Teddy Bridgewater; absolutely disgusting. 

I know you judge your posts on inches of content, but c'mon. 

Bridgewater was on the team in the summer of 2018.  That is the length of the average NFL career ago.  His contract was for 1 year, which means they had to sign him for 2019, let alone 2020 and 2021.  That JAG Chuma Edoga has started 12 games and is under contract for another 2 seasons.  His value to the Jets is more than Bridgewater, but keep banging that loud annoying drum.  

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know you judge your posts on inches of content, but c'mon. 

Bridgewater was on the team in the summer of 2018.  That is the length of the average NFL career ago.  His contract was for 1 year, which means they had to sign him for 2019, let alone 2020 and 2021.  That JAG Chuma Edoga has started 12 games and is under contract for another 2 seasons.  His value to the Jets is more than Bridgewater, but keep banging that loud annoying drum.  

Teddy Bridgewater looked awesome for us in preseason and was worth keeping around for Sam Darnold to learn under compared to Chuma Edoga who's been absolutely horrific in pass protection @ RT. 

Who cares that he's started 12 games when he's been absolutely horrible?

Vernon Gholston started 5 games and played in almost 50... Does that mean he was any good? lol because Chuma Edoga is absolute trash. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Teddy Bridgewater looked awesome for us in preseason and was worth keeping around for Sam Darnold to learn under compared to Chuma Edoga who's been absolutely horrific in pass protection @ RT. 

Vernon Gholston started 5 games and played in almost 50... Does that mean he was any good? lol because Chuma Edoga is absolute trash. 

Who cares what Teddy Bridgewater did two contracts removed from the Jets?  Edoga is an asset.  How lame he is does not change that.  As of March 26, 2019, Teddy Bridgewater was not going to be an asset to the Jets.  How many people was Darnold going to learn from? Palmer? McCown? Bridgewater? Bates? Gase? Flacco?  Enough with the bullsh*t mentors.  Signing a QB nobody thought they should sign and flipping him for a 3rd was a one of Maccagnan's good moves.  Shanking on the pick is a different discussion.

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Awesome?  He was decent in that preseason run and Mac flipped that into a pick.  He’s nothing special in Carolina 

3 hours ago, Butterfield said:

I don’ think one is necessary, but I’d bring in a guy like Brissett if I thought I had to.  

The real question is whether Douglas and the new coach think Flacco is a good veteran presence or not.  If he is like a coach on the field, I’d keep him around to show Lawrence the ropes.  

Flacco is a douche. If we draft TL, we ride or die with him. Just like Cincy did with Burrow and Arizona with Murray. Get whatever cheap back ups you need and that's it. 

On 12/2/2020 at 3:44 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Let's assume the Jets draft a QB with their first pick (easy assumption).  Let's also assume Sam Darnold is traded.  For our purposes, early enough in the offseason that Douglas can acquire any veteran QB he'd like to add to the QB room prior to the draft.

Which of these "bridge options" would you be interested in acquiring?  I have included scheduled 2021 free agents + Drew Brees.  The rest of the league's QB's who are under contract seem unlikely to spring loose.  

NOTE:  I have NOT included guys like Dak Prescott, Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford, as I think we can all agree none of these would qualify as "bridge" options.  

• Drew Brees
  • Phillip Rivers
  • Jameis Winston
  • Andy Dalton
  • Cam Newton
  • Mitchell Trubisky
  • Jacoby Brissett
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • No bridge QB is needed:  Let James Morgan and the rookie compete for the Week 1 job

I'm not sure a bridge QB even applies to the Jets if they get the #1 Pick. if its Lawrence he starts day one. If in some case he's deemed not ready to start, you just say **** it and sell the franchise

On 12/2/2020 at 4:53 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not about hand-holding.  It's about having a veteran to potentially be your Week 1 starter so the rookie isn't rushed under center.  Hence the term "bridge QB".  

By and large, I don't believe rookies are hurt by starting right away, but its nice to have the option to sit him for the first few weeks if needed.  Pat Mahomes didn't start right away, after all.  

Its going to be Lawrence or Fields, either starts on day one so using your reason to sign a veteran, no, we wont need a day one starter off the street.  Just as there wont be a real competition between either and a Morgan, hes the backup only IMO.  So there isnt a choice that works for me

On 12/2/2020 at 4:44 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Let's assume the Jets draft a QB with their first pick (easy assumption).  Let's also assume Sam Darnold is traded.  For our purposes, early enough in the offseason that Douglas can acquire any veteran QB he'd like to add to the QB room prior to the draft.

Which of these "bridge options" would you be interested in acquiring?  I have included scheduled 2021 free agents + Drew Brees.  The rest of the league's QB's who are under contract seem unlikely to spring loose.  

NOTE:  I have NOT included guys like Dak Prescott, Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford, as I think we can all agree none of these would qualify as "bridge" options.  

• Drew Brees
  • Phillip Rivers
  • Jameis Winston
  • Andy Dalton
  • Cam Newton
  • Mitchell Trubisky
  • Jacoby Brissett
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • No bridge QB is needed:  Let James Morgan and the rookie compete for the Week 1 job

If we get Lawrence...    the only bridge players on that list worthy of anything would be Brees or Rivers.   I would say may as well just keep Flacco as back up as Rivers or Brees aint coming here.   I still think Brisset can be a starter somewhere. 

On 12/2/2020 at 4:53 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not about hand-holding.  It's about having a veteran to potentially be your Week 1 starter so the rookie isn't rushed under center.  Hence the term "bridge QB".  

By and large, I don't believe rookies are hurt by starting right away, but its nice to have the option to sit him for the first few weeks if needed.  Pat Mahomes didn't start right away, after all.  

Neither did Marino or even Eli, but the QBs they replaced were the previous starters and it made sense to keep playing those guys until Mahomes or Marino was ready to start.

im not necessarily against having an experienced guy on the roster to win a few games while the starter is down but guys like earl morral or nick foles are few and far between.  And in both those cases they didn’t join the team  as a potential starter.