NYJ1

2019 Report: Jim Harbaugh seeking opportunity to leave Michigan

Jets HC in 2021......

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/report-jim-harbaugh-seeking-opportunity-to-leave-michigan/

If Michigan football was a soap opera, viewers might say that the plotlines involving the program are unbelievable.

The latest story revolves around, who else, but head coach Jim Harbaugh, who reportedly has his eye set on a return to the NFL and moving away from the job he took in 2015 at his alma mater. Per the report:

The move could make a lot of sense. While Michigan has been successful under Harbaugh — the Wolverines are 43-16 under his watch –, the lack of breaking through in both big games and being a national contender have plagued the program. Michigan has three 10-win seasons during Harbaugh’s tenure, but are 0-4 against its biggest rival Ohio State.

For Harbaugh, a return to the NFL where he helped lead the San Francisco 49ers to the Super Bowl XLVII, a loss to the Baltimore Ravens coached by his brother John, would mean lower expectations no matter which franchise he joined. At Michigan, due in much to his own part, the expectations have been national title or bust since he arrived and, only in 2016 when the Wolverines were a fourth-down stop from defeating the Buckeyes and likely a spot in the College Football Playoff, the expectations have not been met.

At 5-2 this season with both losses to ranked teams in Wisconsin and Penn State, the standard once again is not being met. The Wolverines still face Notre Dame and Ohio State, both teams currently in the top 10, so a four-loss season is not far from realistic. If that is the case, expect the news of his departure to grow even more.

• Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Trevor + Harbaugh 

Yea please. 

Wonder what Harbaugh thinks about Justin Fields? Obviously seen enough of him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

This story was posted a year ago....

I knew it didn't sound right when the article said Michigan was 5-2.

• Upvote 3

That article was from a year ago. The Johnson's have been inquiring about Harbaugh since 2009. Now, Michigan is 2-4. You do the math. Harbaugh IS leaving:

1) Michigan wants to win and Harbaugh does NOT do enough winning for them. There's also that Ohio St. thing?

2) Harbaugh AND Michigan want Harbaugh to leave gracefully. Harbaugh being offered and accepting the Jets job allows him him to save face and move on. It's a win win for both sides.

3) The Jets job is likely the very most attractive job? They don't have any talent but that can be viewed positively. Harbaugh, a control freak, would love to have a roster he built from the ground up. They also have a boat load of picks.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I suspect if we land the #1 pick the NY Jets will be his top choice.

Why wouldn't they be? There's no better opportunity than the Jets....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

That article was from a year ago. The Johnson's have been inquiring about Harbaugh since 2009. Now, Michigan is 2-4. You do the math. Harbaugh IS leaving:

1) Michigan wants to win and Harbaugh does NOT do enough winning for them. There's also that Ohio St. thing?

2) Harbaugh AND Michigan want Harbaugh to leave gracefully. Harbaugh being offered and accepting the Jets job allows him him to save face and move on. It's a win win for both sides.

3) The Jets job is likely the very most attractive job? They don't have any talent but that can be viewed positively. Harbaugh, a control freak, would love to have a roster he built from the ground up. They also have a boat load of picks.

Coaching the Jets isn't much of a face-saving move, but it beats getting fired. I think.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Hes ******* GARBAGE and everyone ends up hating him. 

2012 is a million years ago. 

Harbaugh = McCarthy

• Thumb Down 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hes ******* GARBAGE and everyone ends up hating him. 

2012 is a million years ago. 

Harbaugh = McCarthy

Agree completely 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

This story was posted a year ago....

That’s a serious Boner deflator...

Woody is one of biggest fans. So if woody is back he will definitely get interview if not more

Joe Douglas was a scout for the Ravens from 2000-2014. That’s a long ******* time. 

John Harbaugh became the Raven’s head coach in 2008, that means he worked with JD (to some extent) for over 6 years. 

That means there are 6 years of opportunities (i.e., poker nights, drafting Combine, SeniorBowl, golf outing, company Christmas party etc.) where JD could have met and shared a cigar with Jim Harbaugh. For all we know, they’re already Facebook friends and follow one another on Insta & Twitter. 

Year ago or not... his situation in Ann Arbor has only gotten worse. It’s not like he isn’t interested in jumping back to Sunday’s because of this season’s trajectory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not even close really..

McCarthy rode the coat-tails of an all-time great QB

Harbaugh first took an all-time bust QB and turned him around, then turned another QB into an all-pro who went on to be awful as soon as Harbaugh was gone.

Coaching matters and Harbaugh has been proven to be a good one.

McCarthy’s NFL Coaching Career makes Harbaugh look like a poor Brian Billick clone. 

Won Nothing. Sprung the Wildcat back when that was a thing. Ran when his act went sour and sh*t got difficult.

Is a notorious a hole on a Gasian  level.

NOPE. 

• Confused 1

Jim Harbaugh Should Leave Michigan Before He’s Fired

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/big-ten/michigan/jim-harbaugh-fired/

Once upon a time, Jim Harbaugh was the biggest splash hire in the country. Most any team — whether in the NFL or the college football ranks — would have loved to have him as their head coach. He ultimately chose to return to Ann Arbor with the hopes of leading the Michigan Wolverines back to national prominence. Instead, his entire tenure has been stuck in neutral.

Harbaugh, who played quarterback for UM back in the day, clearly loves his alma mater, and the feelings are seemingly mutual. His success at Stanford and with the San Francisco 49ers helped make him one of the highest-paid coaches around, too. Yet, for one reason or another, the big wins simply haven’t followed.

Sooner or later, the patience will wear thin and trust will run out. It’s already an awkward situation, but it has the potential to get worse. Perhaps Harbaugh should leave Michigan before his time runs out.

The Jim Harbaugh/Michigan Standoff

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh has one year left on his contract. He makes roughly $8 million annually and his buyout is a measly $6.3 million. It’s easily the lowest buyout clause of any big-name coach, by a mile, according to USA Today.

That doesn’t make the University of Michigan’s next move any less difficult.

What should the Wolverines do? Should the athletics department give him a contract extension and hope Harbaugh can turn the corner at his beloved alma mater? Should they fire him and press the reset button? Should they ride it out and then part ways?

The coronavirus pandemic and COVID-19 outbreak has put universities across the nation in a financial bind moving forward. Giving Harbaugh more money might seem like a safe option for the sake of the NCAA program, and its recruiting efforts on one hand, but incredibly risky on the other.

The record speaks for itself. Harbaugh is 68-48 as the Michigan football coach, including a dismal 1-2 start to the 2020 campaign. He’s 1-4 in bowl games in Ann Arbor, including losses in the last four to Florida State (Orange Bowl), South Carolina (Outback Bowl), Florida (Peach Bowl), and Alabama (Citrus Bowl).

Forget making College Football Playoff and facing teams like Clemson and LSU in primetime on ESPN; Harbaugh hasn’t even won the Big Ten Conference since he was hired. He can’t beat Ryan Day and the Ohio State Buckeyes in “The Game.” The Wolverines football team even struggles with in-state rival Michigan State Spartans, including a loss to Mel Tucker’s squad in 2020.

No matter how many NFL Draft prospects are on the roster, not taking care of business against OSU and MSU is obviously concerning. Sure, beating the likes of Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Penn State during the regular season is nice, but what about winning the Big Ten Championship Game? Isn’t that what he was hired to do?

With each loss, confidence fades. Michigan fans go crazy on social media and rant about the program trending in the wrong direction.

NFL rumors have always swirled around Harbaugh, too, but the Michigan coach always seem to deny them. He does it time and time again.

“I don’t really have anything to really say to that, because I don’t have an interest in listening to that kind of stuff,” he said recently. “I think you know me by now. I always like letting the action speak for what you have to say. I’ve always thought this: your actions speak so loudly that people can’t even hear what you’re saying. I’ll let the actions speak as they have in the past.”

Harbaugh is a good coach. He might even be a great coach. But it’s not at Michigan, and definitely not at the moment. He should go back to the NFL and hunt Super Bowl appearances, and not continue to compete with programs such as Georgia, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M on the recruiting trail. That decision alone could help avoid an awkward situation.

The choice is his right now. It might not be in the coming months.

• Upvote 1

He’s a better nfl coach, just like that twink in Arizona.  Bring him in, khakis, whole milk, all of it. 

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

He wants total control and it’s not happening. Douglas is here long term.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I keep hearing this, do you have a source for this info? 

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

I keep hearing this, do you have a source for this info? 

No he doesn't. He knows as much as you and I. Which is nothing. In fact, I'd much sooner believe Jim and Joe Douglas have an ongoing friendship. Joe worked with Jim's brother John for years. They also really like each because all of their names start with a "J"

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

He wants total control and it’s not happening. Douglas is here long term.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

screw that

10 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Joe worked with Jim's brother John for years. 

I forget who it was, but some knowledgeable poster had mentioned this in the thread already....shortly before that article you posted. 

• Upvote 1

Make it happen Joe! Sign this beast!

We're officially at the bottom of a dumpster fire.As  an >50 years of following this sorry franchise  fan, I can tell you brothers..... we need to ascend the ashes. 

We havent had. a legitimate HC since Bill Parcells left town

Harbaugh will add instant credibility and hope

I pray he listens